• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Do you think Nintendo is done adding to the NSO base sub after Expansion releases?

Phendrift

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him
When it was announced in the Direct, I though “yeah, this makes sense and then they could add GB/GBC to the base sub” + Nate had said let’s see what they say next month.

However, after today’s info dump I…. Think that’s all the news we’re getting. They laid it out pretty clearly.

And for how big the price increase is, it’s clear they’re going to want to sell people on the Expansion Pak, so I really see any future NSO stuff coming exclusively to that besides additional NES or SNES games and game trials.

No. I predict that the base tier will receive the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, while the Expansion Pack tier will include those plus Game Boy Advance.

You never know with Nintendo, though.

I think there will be one last adding to the base subscription with GB/GBC. I think the 99 games will continue for everyone too.
After that it'll be only on the expansion pack. I expect the same time they add GB/GBC for the base plan, they announce GBA or DS for the expansion. Game Cube and even Wii are what I expect in the future too. Not to mention DLC.

No. I predict that the Game Boy and Game Boy Color will be added to the base tier, while the Game Boy Advanced will be added to the Expansion Pack tier and include the Game Boy and Game Boy Color
I thought this too but after that massive price increase I really think they’re gonna try and sell that more

I expect GB & GBC to be added within the next year to the base NSO sub, but nothing else beyond that besides additions to the NES, SNES, and GB/C lineups.

I would certainly hope that at least GB/GBC is included with the existing subscription. I could see them possibly charging more for GBA, but I hope they don’t.

Possibly Gameboy but for 20 dollars a year you really do get a lot. I can see them trying to prop up the expansion pack with any other additions from this point on.

I think you have a point. GB will be in the expansion pack.

But really if they just made the online steadier, the base would be pretty okay value without additions.

Gameboy and Gameboy Color games will hopefully make the base package but otherwise I don't think we will see more systems.

Unless Nintendo cuts a deal with Atari.....

I feel like those who have more nostalgia for the NES and SNES than N64 would rather see lesser-valued GB games added to the base subscription price, and GBA ends up added to the Expansion pass going forward.

That being said it certainly better not be the last of the 3D systems available

I have a pet theory that this where the rumored GB was supposed to go. Nintendo just didn’t wanna reveal it yet, so as not to time the increase of base tier’s value with the introduction of this new, considerably more expensive tier.

If GB was meant for the expansion, why not reveal it already? The upgrade needs as much value as it can get to make the price more palatable.

Think I just read somewhere that the larger than expected fee increase is related to the licensing costs of genesis titles, which already sold poorly on the wii vc. I think more platforms can be added without a huge price hike but I'd expect at least $10 more per year for gba games. If they could offer any mix and match options or more tiers that would be nice since I'm not really interested in some platforms as a whole

I could maybe see GB/GBC, though it depends on how many third parties they want on board for that. Otherwise, I don't think the base sub is getting much of anything new at this point.

My predictions:

Base tier: adds GB/GBC
Expansion pack: adds TG16, GBA

That’s it for consoles. I do think we will get some more 99 games (hello Galaga 99) and the one week game trials once a month in the base tier though.

My inner Fox Mulder is telling me Nintendo deliberately held back Game Boy until they can gauge early numbers for the Expansion Pack.

If it's doing well as is, GB/GBC gets added to the base level Nintendo Switch Online service.

If interest in the premium subscription needs a boost, GB/GBA is there to sweeten the deal.

GB/GBC finished their testing a while ago. Nintendo is sitting on them. They finished before N64 and Genesis.

Nintendo is waiting to add GB/GBC for some reason.

Theyll add gb and gbc to base props like others said and advance + gamecube to expansion. They probs see value in both since one is a cheaper option and the other a premium option.

GB/GBC finished their testing a while ago. Nintendo is sitting on them. They finished before N64 and Genesis.

Nintendo is waiting to add GB/GBC for some reason.
Maybe just so they have something in the back pocket when they feel like they have a gap to fill... or maybe for whenever the next biggest 'batch' of NSO re-ups happens, perhaps in March? Or maybe there's some other Gameboy-related event/anniversary/remake or something for next year and Gameboy NSO expansion would tie in with it. Who knows.

I think they'll add the Gameboy/Color/GBA line, maybe Turbografx again, and that's it. Anything else they're going to be remasters or remakes on e-shop/physical release.

I think the long term plan is to phase out the lower tier, probably on Switch 2 it'll only be the $50 version available.

I think the long term plan is to phase out the lower tier, probably on Switch 2 it'll only be the $50 version available.
Yeah I'm not sure if the Switch 2 won't have a $20 tier, but I think even stuff that probably should be updated into the $20 tier, like GB or GBC, probably won't be and from here on out all the updates will be only for the $50 tier, aside from some new NES/SNES games.

Could be wrong though, I think there's still a good chance (like 40-45%) that those do come to the lower-priced tier.

Outside of new NES/SNES software being added, I think the base NSO subscription is set in stone. I expect all new platforms, including GB, to be added to the Expansion Pack. The price increase is significant and Nintendo will add value to that tier of the subscription moving forward, not the base sub. In fact, I won't be surprised if the $20 tier is phased out entirely in a few years.

Yeah I'm not sure if the Switch 2 won't have a $20 tier, but I think even stuff that probably should be updated into the $20 tier, like GB or GBC, probably won't be and from here on out all the updates will be only for the $50 tier, aside from some new NES/SNES games.

Could be wrong though, I think there's still a good chance (like 40-45%) that those do come to the lower-priced tier.
When we see stuff like Banjo Kazooie and Castlevania Bloodlines in the expansion pack for NSO, I speculated the price increase was helping to license these games we wouldn't have been able to get at the only $20 price point. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some expansion pass only nes/snes games in the future. Maybe they won't be expansion pass only and Nintendo will be nice to base users, but if we go from the last year of NSO updates being mostly bottom of the barrel games and suddenly get NES and SNES online games like Super Castlevania 4 and Battletoads NES it's probably hard confirmed the increased price is making licensing a lot easier.

Maybe just so they have something in the back pocket when they feel like they have a gap to fill... or maybe for whenever the next biggest 'batch' of NSO re-ups happens, perhaps in March? Or maybe there's some other Gameboy-related event/anniversary/remake or something for next year and Gameboy NSO expansion would tie in with it. Who knows.
I have a theory on what they are waiting for but not a theory I want to bring public just yet.

When we see stuff like Banjo Kazooie and Castlevania Bloodlines in the expansion pack for NSO, I speculated the price increase was helping to license these games we wouldn't have been able to get at the only $20 price point. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some expansion pass only nes/snes games in the future. Maybe they won't be expansion pass only and Nintendo will be nice to base users, but if we go from the last year of NSO updates being mostly bottom of the barrel games and suddenly get NES and SNES online games like Super Castlevania 4 and Battletoads NES it's probably hard confirmed the increased price is making licensing a lot easier.
Yeah for sure.

Would also be crazy if someone we got the SNES era FF games out of this, even if I feel that probably won't happen.

They bloody better start including GameBoy (Colour/Advance) down the line. How the hell these aren't on there yet it terrible...

I don’t think there will be another tier, they will just keep adding to these 2 existing tiers

Will add gameboy to base tier and will add gba to the n64/genesis tier, possibly gamegear too

I don’t think they will ever add any CD based consoles because of memory size

I expect Game Boy and Game Boy Color on the base tier, maybe Master System if Sega is willing to play ball.

However, I think the base tier gets phased out in a year or two. Or they shrink the base tier to just online play + cloud backups and move the retro titles to the expansion pack.

They shouldn't be but they really need to incentivize getting the expansion pack since I'm thinking that price is going to make a lot of people reluctant.

I can see them initially planning for GB/C to be part of base but they didn't get enough bites on the expansion pack so they stick it there instead.

I doubt Nintendo would use that emulator, but if M2 is handling the emulation of Genesis games on NSO (I can't find info who are the devs behind) they very likely will work with Saturn emulation.

Agreed. Just to clarify, I didn't mean that emulator specifically, but that there is a precedent for that. I mean, at some point Sega needs to realize some people care about their consoles other than the Genesis.

Well, other than the Game Gear too.

I think they're waiting to see if the expansion pak is successful or not and if it does well I can see them charging for each additional platform.

Absolutely.
I think they're waiting to see if the expansion pak is successful or not and if it does well I can see them charging for each additional platform.
Eh. What will make it more successful? More money? That's not hard with how expensive this is. They can shed a ton of subscribers and still make more money. But as we see there are a lot of people just shunning the new tier but sticking with the base NSO tier. At the end of the day Nintendo makes more easy money so that's a "success."

Quoted by: 2B
Yeah I think they are done with the base sub and from now on it will be the expansion pack or another tier on top of that.

Absolutely.

Eh. What will make it more successful? More money? That's not hard with how expensive this is. They can shed a ton of subscribers and still make more money. But as we see there are a lot of people just shunning the new tier but sticking with the base NSO tier. At the end of the day Nintendo makes more easy money so that's a "success."
Ultimately more money is more success, but data like the number of subscribers to the service, the retention of subscribers over time, what percent of the total userbase subscribed, etc. are tracked and measured to gauge how successful it will be based on their predictions/expectations after analyzing the market.

GB/GBC will be on XP. Only way they can get some Pokémon stuff on there.

I think that might be it for Nintendo platforms too, as much as I'd love GBA, VB or even Pokémini.

I do think we'll see more 3rd party platforms added for the XP tier. PCE for sure but maybe also SMS/GG, MSX, NeoGeo, arcade games, etc.

I’ve been btfo several times in what I think nintendo will do so I’m gonna say Yes , I do think they are done adding to the base ;).

They should add GB/C to the normal NSO and GBA to Expansion

DS next year, GameCube 2 years from now. Both only on the Expansion.

Wii and 3DS won’t happen.

GB/GBC on the base tier and GBA on the Expansion Pack makes more sense to me, considering the timeline of the original releases. The GB originally came out before the SNES was released, so i don't think it would make much sense to put it on the Expansion Pack.

GBA should have been done already. Losing sales of both Zero mission and Fusion in this Dread peak is just pure Nintendo.

Betting base tier gets GB/GBC/GBA games, but if they did GCN that'd be in the new tier. I am hoping if they ever got Dreamcast, that'd be for this new tier or some other one possibly.

Back
Top Bottom