• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Do you remember the Mini Console craze? How often do you use yours?

Do you still use them?

• They've become my go-to choice for those platforms

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I use them occasionally

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • I no longer use them

Votes: 31 59.6%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Understand, Understand
Pronouns
She/Her
After the launch of the NES Classic Edition, over the last few years the market became flooded with tiny recreations of retro consoles with a bunch of games packed-in. NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, PlayStation, NeoGeo, Commodore64, TurboGrafx 16, Atari 2600 - nearly every platform that could be emulated on a low powered device got one.

Of course, I imagine that for a lot of people the novelty of a Mini Console was more enticing than actually playing it, so for those of you that bited with some, how often do you still use them?

Personally, the PlayStation Classic despite its issues became my go-to for replaying the PlayStation games I play the most, since once modded the emulation quality is decent and the actual hardware and controllers are just so cute. On the other hand, I didn't bother modding the Genesis Mini since I was happy enough with the catalogue included, and whichever other games I wanted to play I could do so on my PC with the same controller. I still use it sometimes though, since there is something that's just so charming of playing Sonic 2 on there.

NES, Megadrive and Famicom, not at all now.

SNES - very rarely.

PC Engine - sometimes. PlayStation - quite regularly, as I'm having another play through Metal Gear Solid.

Sega Astro City - very often, usually for Revenge of Death Adder and Rad Mobile.

I'll answer the question from a different perspective: not buying an SNES mini is one of my greatest gaming-related regrets.

I hunted for a SNES mini, got one at Target on my lunch break, played through Super Mario RPG and then never touched it again lol. I absolutely do not regret it though, it's a cool thing to own, and maybe one day I'll bust it out and show it to my son.

I only got the SNES Classic. It was pretty easy, just showed up at Target at 5 AM or so, one of the first of ten to get it. I saw it more as a cool collector's item than anything else but I did play it quite a lot upon release, probably beat a good 10 games or so on it and still have it in my closet to play at any time. The lack of DKC2 will always bother me though, even if I have it on easy access on a multitude of other consoles.

I'll answer the question from a different perspective: not buying an SNES mini is one of my greatest gaming-related regrets.
I understand, I regret not picking one up too šŸ™ (and the NES Mini too)

Realistically I wouldn't have used it that much, but every time I play a SNES game on NSO I can only think of how much cooler it'd be to play it on the Mini with a proper controller and everything.

I still use my SNES Mini every now and then. Really good lineup of default games, and also really easy to add more games to... works really well! Glad I picked one up.

I bought a Playstation Classic for $20 so that I could run Retroarch on it. I used it for a while but the actual act of adding new games is kinda cumbersome so I quickly lost interest and went back to mainly emulating stuff on my PC.

Outside of the NES, which came out before the Switch, I am pretty sure that I have only played each of them (SNES, PS1, Genesis) like a couple of times each.

I will probably have to use the SNES mini for when I get around to a Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy III run.

I was waiting on the N64 Classic before jumping into this craze... but now that it's coming to NSO, I guess I don't need one!
I would still buy a N64 Classic in a heartbeat lol

I rarely use my NES and SNES Classic now but still regularly use the controllers that came with them. They're honestly amazing for 2D and puzzle games.

Quoted by: Leo
I used my Snes more towards launch, and Iā€™ve beaten a couple dozen games on it after modding it too. But due to my switch backlog itā€™s been in its case for a while. Genesis I havenā€™t used much, but I did just mod it and next time some family visits Iā€™ll definitely hook it up. PS1, played quite a bit at the beginning and some stuff a while back.

My current layout hasnā€™t been accommodating to wired systems. I did fix that last week but I have so much to play on my switch I havenā€™t hooked anything up
I was waiting on the N64 Classic before jumping into this craze... but now that it's coming to NSO, I guess I don't need one!
I would still buy a N64 Classic in a heartbeat lol
Same

Iā€™ve actually been meaning to bust my SNES classic out and do something with it, but all the games on it (besides a few key exceptions) are on NSO sooooā€¦

I've got almost all of them. The SNES Classic gets regular play, it's great for my Super Metroid fix. The PC Engine Mini being next most played. They're a fun and handy way to play on the old consoles without having to dig them out of cupboards.

The only one I picked up but rarely use was the SNES Mini and I hacked it into a glorified Rare machine. It has every single game Rare released on the NES, Genesis, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.

Gladly skipped them all.

As much flak as Switch NSO gets, that + Switch handheld mode is probably the only way I'd ever see myself playing older titles.

Same. Wanted the Playstation classic, but never got around to buying it.
You didn't miss much, the PlayStation Classic is a really bad example of a mini console. Unless you hack it, and at that point there's any number of better solutions like the Pi 4 or RG351 series.

I only got the Snes classic and I played it a decent amount when I first got it but haven't done anything with it since really.
I was slightly interested in the Playstation Classic at the time but after hearing about a lot of the issues it had I decided to skip it.

I love my SNES classic. I've hacked it and have all the games i own, and it's so much more practical (especially now that my og SNES is dead). I also love how it looks, the CRT filter is really good, and the controller is amazing, I don't see a difference to the original controllers except for the weight.

It's my platform of choice to play SNES games as it's as close i will get to playing on the original hardware without having to buy a functioning SNES and dealing with a blurry image.

"I no longer use them" but I've never used them, nor intended to
To me they have always been collector gems
I would love them to continue (N64, GC mini...)

I dumped the ROMs and play them on the TV instead with the Switch SNES controller. Bit of a hassle with the sound at first, but once you get it going, it works perfectly.

Honestly, the most fun I had was hacking them haha. I even made my NES mini dualboot, so I can boot into the Shonen Jump Famicom mini bios, because it supports more mappers than the original one. I put so much time into sorting them neatly into folders and adding all the covers lol. I still play them occasionally too, but mostly RPGs and stuff, because I always feel like the input lag is fucking me on difficult platfomers (looking at you NES). Unfortunately I'm in PAL territory, so original hardware is a bit of an issue. Looking at prices for original games too, I might just invest in a Mister soon. Emulation on FPGA seems to be close to perfect now and I can hook that one up to my CRT too.

I also have the Mega Drive and Playstation mini (snagged that one up on clearance), but I only used them when I had them new. I have my original consoles modded and a flashcard for my MD, so I can play what I want on original hardware, no need for emulation. If I didn't have that option, they would be solid ways to play these systems though. The PSX mini was unfortunately a bit too underpowered for some titles, so you have to check what runs well on it and what doesn't. I played through Resident Evil and the Midgar part of FF7 and both ran great. PSX looks UGLY in HD though, really belongs on a nice CRT.

Overall I liked the mini craze. I wish Nintendo would release a N64 and Game Boy mini! Guess that won't happend though for various reasons.

Barely use my NES and SNES mini. NSO is more convenient than hooking them back up. Wavering on hacking them vs picking up Everdrives and setting up my original hardware as a retro solution.

never had one, the super famicom mini was tempting when I was in japan though

I'm 39. Yes, I remember the mini console craze from....five years ago lmao

I played my NES and SNES Classics pretty regularly, but with NSO, they've become redundant. Still neat little display pieces, at least. My Genesis Mini never got a lot of playtime, unfortunately. Whenever I eventually upgrade by NSO membership, I'll just play Genesis games on Switch. Was never able to get my hands on a TG-16 Mini, sadly. I'd have probably played that a lot.

Edit - oh yeah! I also own a PS1 Mini! Got it for $20 years ago. I've never removed it from its packaging lol

I got the SNES classic, but to be honest I kind of regret it. I only used the thing once or twice and then for bored of it. I remember trying to play Super Mario Kart AMA having to give up because the graphics were making me a bit motion stick.

And eventually NSO was released and I can play the SNES games through that nowā€¦

My SNES Classic is my go to choice when I feel like playing through Kirby Superstar. I like the NSO offering but I only got a Lite so there's still value in using the SNES mini for me.

I never bought into it. TV ones felt too gimmicky and I don't like clutter in my living room. The NSO controllers are a much better stab at the same idea, though I didn't need the SNES one since I already have a great SNES style controller from 8bitdo. Can't wait for my 64 controller to arrive.

If they had continued on to do handhelds, I would have been there day one. Missed opportunity.

I was one of those people who only bought the SNES mini because it included the final build of Star Fox 2, i also bought the Turbografx mini for the similar reason of it including several titles that hadn't been re-released in decades.
Never bought any of them, but my dad one of the early 2600 plug in plays
That would be the Atari Flashback.
Ataritrans.png

The first one was a bit unusual that it was a NES-clone console with ports of Atari 2600 games made for it. But the second is actually rather close to the original hardware, and can even be modded to add a working cartridge port.

I enjoyed my SNES Mini for a good year and then sold it after not using it for six months.

They adorn my classic gaming setup, sitting on top of my CRT. I actually did play them quite a bit when I first purchased them, but I knew that ultimately they'd be adorable collector's items (and good ways to have USB controllers/modern versions of pads) more than anything else.

I was pretty upset when I didn't get the NES classic originally; I'm thankful I didn't miss out a second time on the restock. Now I have:

• NES Classic
  • SNES Classic
  • Genesis Mini
  • Turbografx-16 Mini
  • PlayStation Classic
  • Game Gear Mini
I am a little sad we never got the N64 mini because I wanted a new, Nintendo produced controller... and then they made the NSO controller, so I guess all's well that ends well.

I got the NES, SNES and Playstation Classic but I pretty much already have all the OG games than these consoles offered so after launch I quickly dropped them, especially for NES/SNES because I later got FPGA consoles to cover those, so even the 'better IQ' aspect dropped real quick. They're all nice little decorations though. :3

I also got a Commodore 64 Mini for real cheap, it's still sealed, because it's a Commodore 64 Mini.

I remember when everyone was after these and fuming mad that they couldn't get them. Turns out they became nothing more than collectible curios for most of the people who got one and weren't worth the frustration in the first place. And OH WOW, did people get mad when that was suggested to be the case at the time.

They're just novelties to me. I don't have much of a connection to games that old so I mainly pull it out here and there out of curiosity more than anything else

They look real nice on a shelf, and if I want to I can use the controllers on PC, or further mod the SNES mini which I'd like to do.

Have an NES and SNES Classic, is what I use to play all the stuff that I missed out on from those systems.

I definitely bought into the craze. I have the NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1 (for $20). I mostly just wanted them as little replicas to keep on the shelf. I never expected to play them a lot, and never did. I do have the SNES and Genesis connected to my TV, mostly just to have the little replicas out.

I tried hacking the SNES Classic to add a bunch of SNES games since I have it connected. But I gave up when it crashed loading a level in Super Empire Strikes Back. I use a MiSTer instead for playing classic games on TV, but still appreciate the little plastic replica consoles and their controllers.

Oh, I was thinking we were talking about such obscurities as the GameBoy Micro or the Wii Mini, both very handsome pieces of hardware.
R.3e48fbb61cafbc15e5cf8dbc9b0e27f1
wiimini.png

Ye olde Console Classic Craze, though? I scarcely remember it.

I never got a Classic, nor do I really have anywhere to keep one, but I always thought it would have been cool if the NES and SNES classics would have had little cartridges loaded with games, so they could release more and you could swap them out. This might have required them to be a bit larger, though, for a cartridge port and a place to store them.

I use my SNES mini still. Lots of the default games are on NSO but I added a bunch of games. Also, with the hack, I nodded it to remove the CRT blur and edging so I have just scanlines and it looks much much better.

I wish NSO let me choose scanlines without the filter.

Donā€™t use my PS1 Classic much, because itā€™s just so shoddy of a product. I even modded it, and even then, itā€™s a PITA and not seamless like the SNES or NES Classic mods.

I bought the Genesis mini and only opened it once to make sure it's turned on... would be a great multiplayer sessions though.

I still use my mini consoles, just because I like being able to play those games with the controller they're designed around. In particular, the first time I played Super Metroid was on the 3DS and I had to re-map run to a shoulder button cause the face buttons are so small. On an SNES pad, it's way easier to hit all three of those buttons at once, intentionally.

Still salty we never got a 64 mini. I wanna play Mischief Makers with C buttons. :(

Back
Top Bottom