• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Digital Foundry || Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes - Nintendo Switch - Digital Foundry Tech Review

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

Omega Force teams up once again with Nintendo to deliver a new Musou/Warriors take on a big Nintendo property. Following up from the fascinating but flawed Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, can the developer overcome the older game's performance problems? And how does image quality and gameplay stack up? Series veteran John Linneman has the full story.
  • will cover Age of Calamity as well
    • dynamic res up to 810p
    • uses AA
    • regularly goes below 30fps
  • SHEEZ NUTS (not in the video)
  • dynamic res at 810p, 1080p UI
  • handheld is 648p
  • IQ looks worse than Age of Calamity
  • the black outline makes aliasing very apparent
  • insufficient texture filtering
  • movement feels poor and animation isn't that great
    • AoC was better here
  • frame rate is typically over 30fps, which means bad frame pacing
    • avg 33-36
  • special attacks can dip the framerate
  • could be a 60fps game on future switch hardware (there's no hint here)
  • in split screen, shadows are disabled and enemeies are culled
  • closer to 30fps
  • loading times are pretty fast, ~6 secs
  • John thinks this is the most interesting Warriors game yet
  • Omega Force is improving, but the tech debt is adding up and they need an overhaul

Last edited:
I haven't really played my copy of Age of Calamity yet. It would be amazing if the game works and runs better on the next Switch. Not that the performance really bothers me.

Intrigued to know if 3H runs better but I don't have time to watch at the moment

I haven't really played my copy of Age of Calamity yet. It would be amazing if the game works and runs better on the next Switch. Not that the performance really bothers me.

Intrigued to know if 3H runs better but I don't have time to watch at the moment
tl:dr It does

Hovering between 30 and 35 most of the time isn't ideal either (seriously, at least give us the option to lock it at 30), but at least it's better than hovering between 25 and 30. Looking at you, AoC.

summary done.

conclusion: Omega Force needs to revamp their engine, but it's better than Age of Calamity. Drake will save this game (if it exists)
Isn't it funny that literally did that for DW9 with the new Katana engine and it was a disaster... I think OF biggest problem is that they basically work on 1 or more games per year. That's a insane schedule that doesn't allow much breathing room.

Isn't it funny that literally did that for DW9 with the new Katana engine and it was a disaster... I think OF biggest problem is that they basically work on 1 or more games per year. That's a insane schedule that doesn't allow much breathing room.
man, I remember the hype behind those videos. sad what it ended up being. they really should try again though. or, risking the ire of some folks, move to an external engine.

maybe Team Ninja's tools are adaptable

summary done.

conclusion: Omega Force needs to revamp their engine, but it's better than Age of Calamity. Drake will save this game (if it exists)
Team Ninja/Gust/Omega Force all use the same engine iirc
So it's more 'Omega Force' fault than the engine itself

Team Ninja/Gust/Omega Force all use the same engine iirc
So it's more 'Omega Force' fault than the engine itself
I kinda remember Gust mentioned they revamped their own engine after Ryza in an interview (which it's very noticable going from Lulua to Ryza 1 or comparing Sophie1 from 2, and is the one used in Blue Reflection and Sophie 2).

Edit: No I was remembering wrong, they switched from phyre to the warriors engine in Gust and just customize it

Last edited:
Sounds good, adding in graphics mode(with a cap of 30fps) would be appreciated.
I wonder why thats just not a Thing they do right off the bat 🤔
Or have the option as a toggle. They for sure see everything that John noted in the video about effect on smoothness of play.

Maybe naive but I figure disabling the frame cap via a future patch if such a need ever arises (soon pls) should be a straightforward affair that you can even turn into a marketing opportunity.

The weightlessness of the combat and movement in comparison to age of calamity is nearly as big an issue to me as framerate

though, like with framerate (and this game's being uncapped) I'm sure you adjust to it

Would these games naturally benefit from NateDrake without need for a patch given their open framerates?

The weightlessness of the combat and movement in comparison to age of calamity is nearly as big an issue to me as framerate

though, like with framerate (and this game's being uncapped) I'm sure you adjust to it

Would these games naturally benefit from NateDrake without need for a patch given their open framerates?
I believe so, with uncapped framerate it really depends on the hardware

I wonder why thats just not a Thing they do right off the bat 🤔
Or have the option as a toggle. They for sure see everything that John noted in the video about effect on smoothness of play.

Maybe naive but I figure disabling the frame cap via a future patch if such a need ever arises (soon pls) should be a straightforward affair that you can even turn into a marketing opportunity.

Not sure, it's especially weird because Fire Emblem Warriors does have Quality/Performance modes but that's a straight 720p/60fps vs 1080p/30fps toggle.

Not sure, it's especially weird because Fire Emblem Warriors does have Quality/Performance modes but that's a straight 720p/60fps vs 1080p/30fps toggle.

The thing with FE Warriors is that is was codeveloped with Team Ninja (like HW) so Omega Force had more resources to work on optimization and why it's more an exception for the rest of warriors. With that said KT should probably give them more resources or mix their teams (like with the new FE). Gust have handled the warriors engine better and even added a performance mode to Sophie 2 in switch, and they are a smaller team than OmegaForce, so the team and knowledge is already there

I really don't appreciate the uncapped framerate at play here, but at least the jumps aren't as bad as with MH Stories 2 for instance (probably one of the worst cases ever for me).
Still, implement that toggle/option, you nerds.

Third parties on switch doesn’t focus on stable framerate and image quality anymore, for the most part it seems. Guess it needs to look as good as posdible in still screens.

How did this franchise go from 60fps on PS2 to whatever they've been pumping out?!
Base games in ps2 had fewer body count and used techniques like fog to hide the draw distance. Also their engine is heavily dependant on the hardware and even in current consoles ithe usually fluctuate between 45-60 fps (or lower when effects go crazy). I mean even DW8 in PS4 go below 20fps in stages with fire. With that said Omega Force is a small team so I guess they simply don't have the resources to optimize as they have to move to other projects (DW9 being an example of this as they never managed to optimize that new engine)

Nice to see an improvement over Age of Calamity performance wise.
Two player splitscreen running better than AoC's single player is especially a pleasant surprise.

Back
Top Bottom