• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course launches June 30, 2022 on all platforms (UPDATE: out now!)

I still have PTSD from some of those endgame bosses, but I'm down to get my ass kicked again.

Cuphead is legitimately one of the best video games ever made. I’m confident this DLC will deliver, big time.

I should probably prepare for pain and finally get further than the second island in Cuphead before giving up. 😔 I want to love this game but I am WEAK

All I've left in the main campaign is to beat the final boss... Maybe it's time to give it another go 😅

Not the biggest fan of this game, but I did like it enough to S/P rank every stage. I'll probably get this if there isn't something I'm more interested in coming out around then.

Guessing you can't play the DLC without beating the game which is a shame because of King Dice I never and will never finish it. I know I can beat the Devil but that gauntlet just throws me off once I get to King Dice.

Guessing you can't play the DLC without beating the game which is a shame because of King Dice I never and will never finish it. I know I can beat the Devil but that gauntlet just throws me off once I get to King Dice.
With perseverance I'm sure you'll smoke ol' Dicey!

Can they finally release it physically so I can play the frikking game?
Day one for me too, INTO MY VEINS!!!

I probably will get it (currently not motivated)

But... im really confused by this.
First: its production time, i asumed that with so much money earned they could expand the production to be faster.

Second: how long after the original game this is coming. It inevitably will sell way less.

Third: that its not a standalone thing (Sequel, or even "just" standalone DLC).
It limits the people they can sell to.

This all feels like it will be a financialy underperforming release.
I hope its not, but its just confusing to me.

I probably will get it (currently not motivated)

But... im really confused by this.
First: its production time, i asumed that with so much money earned they could expand the production to be faster.

Second: how long after the original game this is coming. It inevitably will sell way less.

Third: that its not a standalone thing (Sequel, or even "just" standalone DLC).
It limits the people they can sell to.

This all feels like it will be a financialy underperforming release.
I hope its not, but its just confusing to me.
The original game took 7 years to develop, and they explicitly said they did not want to crunch staff for DLC:

COVID caused further delays too. As for not releasing it as a stand-alone game, I imagine they probably felt it would be too iterative to stand on its own (no major gameplay changes outside of a new character as far as I'm aware). Given the success of the Cuphead brand in general, I imagine the DLC will sell just fine.

The original game took 7 years to develop, and they explicitly said they did not want to crunch staff for DLC:

COVID caused further delays too. As for not releasing it as a stand-alone game, I imagine they probably felt it would be too iterative to stand on its own (no major gameplay changes outside of a new character as far as I'm aware). Given the success of the Cuphead brand in general, I imagine the DLC will sell just fine.
Lots of DLC gets released standalone these days.
Just look at Doom Eternal.
I would recommend noone to buy the DLC without having played the original game, but you are still able to.
The DLC picks up right where the game ended difficultywise and you would be lost regarding the lore too(not like thats that important).
If they had released this standalone people could have picked up Delicious Last Course on another platform than they played the original on.
I mean it's been quite some time and another console generation is out now.
Maybe someone would have prefered to play the game portably now after playing it on Xbox.
Maybe they sell a couple of copies more of the original like this, but I think a standalone release would have made sense.
It will sell fine, I just don't think iterativeness is an argument against standalone releases.

Last edited:
If you have the money and determination to create anything decent, it's always better to take as long as possible before releasing #content to the devouring, ever hungry public who will be buying this across a large number of diverse platforms and formats.

Yeah, but it was with developing the techniques, technickal background, etc. And they have way more financial room now that the first one was a financial success.

It feels more lik they did not want to expand their studio (and thats fair, if you feel like you either could not support it in the long run or that it would make managing it less fun for your core team).
Its not about crunch. and im aware of the phrase "9 women cant deliver a baby in 1 month". but even with covid, since it is so iterative, uses the same technical base, artstyle, music style, and they have the success of the base game and the finances, i would have expected some streamlining in the development.
But here its probably where artistry and engineering diverge. Presumably if they just wanted to make solid DLC it would have been done way faster, but they probably finetuned and reworked it often.
Lots of DLC gets released standalone these days.
Just look at Doom Eternal.
I would recommend noone to buy the DLC without having played the original game, but you are still able to.
The DLC picks up right where the game ended difficultywise and you would be lost regarding the lore too(not like thats that important).
If they had released this standalone people could have picked up Delicious Last Course on another platform than they played the original on.
I mean it's been quite some time and another console generation is out now.
Maybe someone would have prefered to play the game portably now after playing it on Xbox.
Maybe they sell a couple of copies more of the original like this, but I think a standalone release would have made sense.
It will sell fine, I just don't think iterativeness is an argument against standalone releases.
100% that. Torna (Xenoblade 2) is an example, Doom Eternal, Superhot, ...

What i could see it that it is so intertwoven with the original content (like the replaying of bosses with the new character) that they felt like it does not make sense without the base game?
Then again, i would see that as a bonus for those that have the base game.

If you have the money and determination to create anything decent, it's always better to take as long as possible before releasing #content to the devouring, ever hungry public who will be buying this across a large number of diverse platforms and formats.
I dissagree. There where a ton of artists that never finished projects, because they got caught in an endless cycle of perfectionism, and others that made their best work in a time/resource limited environment.
Its the dream of "endless resources deliver the best art". but often its also the limiting factor how long can you keep the vision without it slowly morphing, moving, and then you stand with a half buildt home, and realize, that your base is not matching up with your ever evolving vision, start again, and again, and again...

Anyone else going to be playing this today? I’m so excited! Only one hour until it drops!

Just finished the DLC, and beat every Isle I boss with Ms. Chalice. I wish there was a run 'n gun stage in the DLC, but it was a lot of fun! Still have expert mode runs for the new bosses, but not sure if I'll bother with S ranks. The final boss of the DLC in particular seems like a nightmare for that. This will probably change, but my ranking for the new bosses after one run each would probably be: Glumstone the Giant > Mortimer Freeze > Esther Winchester = The Howling Aces > Chef Saltbaker > Moonshine Mob

Finished this with all achievements today. The King's Gauntlet and getting an S rank on an Isle IV boss probably took a year off of my life, but I loved every second of it! If you're on the fence about getting this, I highly recommend it. It's only $8!

Finally jumping into this now that Elden Ring is behind me and it feels so incredible to be back in the Cuphead groove!

giphy.gif

The first artifact/tool I unlocked was the heart ring, holy shit about its gameplay implications already. And the entire scenario and its introduction just had me from the start, like it never left. Soon I'll be attempting Expert runs but first, I gotta unlock Miss Chalice!

Back
Top Bottom