• Hey Guest! As we are sure you are aware, Russia has invaded Ukraine. Check out our pinned thread in the Roost for resources on how to support Ukraine in their ongoing crisis. Let's show our solidarity with the Ukrainian people!

News Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course launches June 30, 2022 on all platforms (UPDATE: new gameplay trailer, 7.99 USD / 9.99 CAD / €7.99 / £6.79)

Mekanos

Justice In My Heart
Pronouns
he/him
I still have PTSD from some of those endgame bosses, but I'm down to get my ass kicked again.

Beard

Bob-omb
Cuphead is legitimately one of the best video games ever made. I’m confident this DLC will deliver, big time.

big lantern ghost

hoping you'll look the other way
Pronouns
he/him
I should probably prepare for pain and finally get further than the second island in Cuphead before giving up. 😔 I want to love this game but I am WEAK

39Subrosia

Piranha Plant
Not the biggest fan of this game, but I did like it enough to S/P rank every stage. I'll probably get this if there isn't something I'm more interested in coming out around then.

TheQuietone

The Dread Captain
Pronouns
They/them
Guessing you can't play the DLC without beating the game which is a shame because of King Dice I never and will never finish it. I know I can beat the Devil but that gauntlet just throws me off once I get to King Dice.

Pronouns
He/Him
Guessing you can't play the DLC without beating the game which is a shame because of King Dice I never and will never finish it. I know I can beat the Devil but that gauntlet just throws me off once I get to King Dice.
With perseverance I'm sure you'll smoke ol' Dicey!

Can they finally release it physically so I can play the frikking game?
Day one for me too, INTO MY VEINS!!!

Aether

Shriekbat
I probably will get it (currently not motivated)

But... im really confused by this.
First: its production time, i asumed that with so much money earned they could expand the production to be faster.

Second: how long after the original game this is coming. It inevitably will sell way less.

Third: that its not a standalone thing (Sequel, or even "just" standalone DLC).
It limits the people they can sell to.

This all feels like it will be a financialy underperforming release.
I hope its not, but its just confusing to me.

Mekanos

Justice In My Heart
Pronouns
he/him
I probably will get it (currently not motivated)

But... im really confused by this.
First: its production time, i asumed that with so much money earned they could expand the production to be faster.

Second: how long after the original game this is coming. It inevitably will sell way less.

Third: that its not a standalone thing (Sequel, or even "just" standalone DLC).
It limits the people they can sell to.

This all feels like it will be a financialy underperforming release.
I hope its not, but its just confusing to me.
The original game took 7 years to develop, and they explicitly said they did not want to crunch staff for DLC:

COVID caused further delays too. As for not releasing it as a stand-alone game, I imagine they probably felt it would be too iterative to stand on its own (no major gameplay changes outside of a new character as far as I'm aware). Given the success of the Cuphead brand in general, I imagine the DLC will sell just fine.

AllEchse

Piranha Plant
Pronouns
He/Him
The original game took 7 years to develop, and they explicitly said they did not want to crunch staff for DLC:

COVID caused further delays too. As for not releasing it as a stand-alone game, I imagine they probably felt it would be too iterative to stand on its own (no major gameplay changes outside of a new character as far as I'm aware). Given the success of the Cuphead brand in general, I imagine the DLC will sell just fine.
Lots of DLC gets released standalone these days.
Just look at Doom Eternal.
I would recommend noone to buy the DLC without having played the original game, but you are still able to.
The DLC picks up right where the game ended difficultywise and you would be lost regarding the lore too(not like thats that important).
If they had released this standalone people could have picked up Delicious Last Course on another platform than they played the original on.
I mean it's been quite some time and another console generation is out now.
Maybe someone would have prefered to play the game portably now after playing it on Xbox.
Maybe they sell a couple of copies more of the original like this, but I think a standalone release would have made sense.
It will sell fine, I just don't think iterativeness is an argument against standalone releases.

Last edited:
Pronouns
He/Him
If you have the money and determination to create anything decent, it's always better to take as long as possible before releasing #content to the devouring, ever hungry public who will be buying this across a large number of diverse platforms and formats.

Top Bottom