• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Cloud Versions of Kingdom Hearts games coming to Switch

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
GotG and KH3 is doubtful for obvious reasons, but KH 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8 is more probable. It wouldn't be the first time that SE markets a game as "digital only" (well "Cloud Only" in this case) and some months down the line end up releasing a physical version in some region of the world (like that weird decision of having the physical version of WoFF: Maxima be exclusive to Southeast Asia).

here’s hoping they do a physical release of KH in Japan. I just know that box art would be bomb.

Square is not stupid, they must have known how much money they'd make by porting KH games natively. I suspect this decision is nothing but "testing waters". They'll learn their lesson when this and GotG cloud versions fail. Remember, both Ubi and Capcom released only one game on ubitus never to use it again.
I hope that people don't jump in this cloud crap. Kingdom Hearts has been a franchise heavily begged for Switch and it could sell more than other games like GotG, for example. I hope they fail on this purpose.

I hope that people don't jump in this cloud crap. Kingdom Hearts has been a franchise heavily begged for Switch and it could sell more than other games like GotG, for example. I hope they fail on this purpose.

I’m going to try and hold off as long as I can, but I really, really want to play KH on Switch. I will either wait for a big sale (which is possible, just look at Melody of Memory) and buy the cloud version, or hopefully I (and others) can hold out long enough for a physical/digital version of KH I and II.

But yes, I hope they fail too. Cloud gaming is basically paying for a long term rental

I’m not going to buy these cloud versions. Square can foh with that shit. I’m going to buy a used PS4 and play Kingdom Hearts on that.

They'll come around, eventually. Guardians of the Galaxy this month will teach them a bitter lesson not to invest in Cloud gaming anymore on Switch.
Or KH and Gotg will bomb on Switch, and Square will decide it isn’t worth it to put games on the Switch at all.

here’s hoping they do a physical release of KH in Japan. I just know that box art would be bomb.
X2! If it is Japan only, it would be the first time I have to import one 😅 Though looking SE's recent history with KH (Kingdom Hearts All in One package especially) it may end up being NA exclusive.

And just in case, a list of when SE has pulled that:

1. World of Final Fantasy Maxima in SE Asia
2-3. FFVII/FFVIIIR Dual pack in EU, ME, Aus, & NZ
4. FFIX in Asia
5. FFVIIIR for PS4 in EU
6. Collection of Mana WW
7. DQ 1, 2, and 3 in Asia*

* The physical collection was announced with the digital titles, but with a undecided release date at the time.

It has basically been SE's bread and butter for this gen, at least for ports and remasters/DLC including versions from their main series.

I’m not going to buy these cloud versions. Square can foh with that shit. I’m going to buy a used PS4 and play Kingdom Hearts on that.

Or KH and Gotg will bomb on Switch, and Square will decide it isn’t worth it to put games on the Switch at all.
That would have been true, if KH Memory of Melody wasn't a big success on Switch. It was on eShop top sellers list for a couple of weeks.

At least the collections, being more cooled down now, I would give KH3 a pass. That is the lone game that would actually have huge issues on Switch. It already makes a PS4 turn into a jet engine *looks at the Toy Box & ships parts of The Caribbean*, it would need huge downgrades to run natively.

At least the collections, being more cooled down now, I would give KH3 a pass. That is the lone game that would actually have huge issues on Switch. It already makes a PS4 turn into a jet engine *looks at the Toy Box & ships parts of The Caribbean*, it would need huge downgrades to run natively.
I would find it acceptable if 3 was the only cloud game. But not this way.

NL: We understand it would have been near impossible to get the entire series running smoothly on Switch, but is it possible that Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix could ever be reworked to run natively on Switch later down the road? Is this just sort of a stop gap?

Hazama:
"At this moment in time, the production of a native version is undecided. We believe that the Cloud version is currently the best way to deliver the Kingdom Hearts series to Nintendo Switch players, but we are always excited to hear to feedback from our fans and want to thank them for all their support."

Praying for all the Square Enix interns who are about to get feedback from Switch fans.

I would had double dipped so hard had the games been properly ported. Portable Kingdom Hearts is a great way to burn through the games.

Cloud version makes sense at least for that one chapter in 2.8 and KH3. Wish they could just port 1.5 + 2.5 + Dream Drop Distance for $60 and just keep KH3 and that Aqua chapter cloud based until the Switch Pro.

They'll hear feedback next week, when they find out about the sales of Guardians of the Galaxy on Switch.

There's a reason why they didn't give any target release for KH cloud versions. They ARE undecided.
They're hearing the feedback already, social media erupted over it. Just like the FF Pixel Remasters skipping console, you can bet 1.5+2.5 will be running natively on Switch within about a year.

They're hearing the feedback already, social media erupted over it. Just like the FF Pixel Remasters skipping console, you can bet 1.5+2.5 will be running natively on Switch within about a year.
Considering how a lot of 3rd parties publishers are with the Switch, I'm definitely not betting on that. I've learned to never expect anything logical

Lol this is even more embarrassing after watching the Dying Light Digital Foundry video. If that game can run well natively, so can this.

I definitely won't get the cloud versions, but I'm there Day One if they ever change their minds.

If there would be a gamepass with cloud type of service by Nintendo I could see myself playing this games on the Switch. But there is no way that I will pay for games with the possibility that they can‘t be available anymore. Just hope now the older games will still come somehow to switch.

lol, totally fair.

Speaking of illogical, I'm super curious to see where pricing for the Cloud releases lands.
So far, every Switch cloud release has had the same pricing with native versions on other platforms. Should be similar to EGS prices.

If they weren't going to commit to native versions in conjunction with the massive announcement of Sora being the last Smash Ultimate DLC character, I don't think anything is going to change their mind, unfortunately. It's just less controversial than saying "we didn't think it was worth it, even though it's 100% possible."

I definitely won't get the cloud versions, but I'm there Day One if they ever change their minds.

I only consider cloud versions of games that I know wouldn't run on switch, full stop. Dying Light 2, Hitman 3, yeah no way the ports would be functional outside of looking like a bowl of soup.

The funniest part is that native KH games would sell like hotcakes on the Switch.
It would 100% be one of the top selling 3rd parties games if it came to Switch. I wouldn't doubt it could reach Top 5 (or Top 3 if you ignore Minecraft and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle).

I only consider cloud versions of games that I know wouldn't run on switch, full stop. Dying Light 2, Hitman 3, yeah no way the ports would be functional outside of looking like a bowl of soup.
I actually think it's fine for online games with giant filesizes too (like PSO2). If you have to be online anyway why not stream if the tech is there?

Actually I think more MMOs should look into releasing this way on Switch. In particular ESO and FFXIV, whose reps have said they'd like to come to the platform already.

I actually think it's fine for online games with giant filesizes too (like PSO2). If you have to be online anyway why not stream if the tech is there?

Actually I think more MMOs should look into releasing this way on Switch. In particular ESO and FFXIV, whose reps have said they'd like to come to the platform already.

Oh definitely this too. You're connected to the internet to play, so why not allow it on cloud.

If they weren't going to commit to native versions in conjunction with the massive announcement of Sora being the last Smash Ultimate DLC character, I don't think anything is going to change their mind, unfortunately. It's just less controversial than saying "we didn't think it was worth it, even though it's 100% possible."

Yeah this, it would have been an absolute bulletproof plan to release KH collection along side or at least close to Sora for Smash.
It's so dumb I cant even comprehend how it's not happening.

Gotta wonder how agressive Nintendo has been on getting KH on the Switch, Not saying they should pay the entire bill - which MS and Epic likely did for their respective versions but at least strike some sort of deal.

Gotta wonder how agressive Nintendo has been on getting KH on the Switch
they probably pushed for it. it's been said that SE tried KH3, but didn't think it was good enough. IMO, I'm not sure if it was hardware related, or their expectations was too high

(the MX130 is a mobile 1030, haven't found any video running on the MX110, which is similar to the Switch)

They're not fully functional on Cloud either. Latency is just too big and it gets annoying especially in shooting games like Hitman 3. And ubitus has too many maintenance breaks for the games, some last for a full day. And those queues out of nowhere. These shouldn't be a thing in a game that costs full price. I'm buying a offline single player game, I should play it like an offline single player game.

Cloud gaming shouldn't be a thing period. There are just too many inconveniences for it to be a mainstream thing.

They're not fully functional on Cloud either. Latency is just too big and it gets annoying especially in shooting games like Hitman 3. And ubitus has too many maintenance breaks for the games, some last for a full day. And those queues out of nowhere. These shouldn't be a thing in a game that costs full price. I'm buying a offline single player game, I should play it like an offline single player game.

Cloud gaming shouldn't be a thing period. There are just too many inconveniences for it to be a mainstream thing.

I beat Control and Hitman on switch via cloud. Control had a couple of moments when the latency/sync went haywire, but other than that the game was solid. The main drawback is that it's a single player game and you can't take it anywhere. With a wired internet connection, the games ran fine for me. Mind you, I live in a big city with good internet providers.

I beat Control and Hitman on switch via cloud. Control had a couple of moments when the latency/sync went haywire, but other than that the game was solid. The main drawback is that it's a single player game and you can't take it anywhere. With a wired internet connection, the games ran fine for me. Mind you, I live in a big city with good internet providers.
Latency can be decreased if your city is close to the servers and you are close to your modem. Should be even less with OLED with its ethernet port, but what's the point of playing them on docked?

Hitman for me was a broken experience as the latency was big enough to be noticeable. Ubitus also had way too many maintenance breaks for the game and that really pissed me off. You probably were lucky enough to miss them.

Back
Top Bottom