• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Cloud Versions of Kingdom Hearts games coming to Switch

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
Ugh every time I see this thread I get angry again.

It’s got me thinking of buying a used PS4. Fucking hell, Square.

To be fair, unless I misread, I think the lazy comment is towards SE the company, and not the actual devs. SE the company cares about the bottom line, while I’m sure if they and their way the devs would love to see their games on as many platforms as possible.

As for Disney? Are they just notoriously difficult? If so, I just don’t get it. I’m excited for Sora and the final smash is cool, but what a missed opportunity to have Mickey and friends be part of the Smash or even background extras. I feel Disney is their worst own enemy when it comes to creative collaborations.
That is fair - thanks for helping me see that! I'm obviously sensitive to people jumping down dev's throats as if they don't do the most complex, difficult work imagineable.

I definitely agree this is an issue with SE/Disney—however, even then, since the decision to bring the games to the Switch was done merely two months ago, and a Cloud Version was the only solution for getting the games on the platform in time for the Smash reveal.

Attachments

• 2A2F8E40-527D-4BA0-A724-2361F9C1A553.png
    2A2F8E40-527D-4BA0-A724-2361F9C1A553.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 95
That is fair - thanks for helping me see that! I'm obviously sensitive to people jumping down dev's throats as if they don't do the most complex, difficult work imagineable.

I definitely agree this is an issue with SE/Disney—however, even then, since the decision to bring the games to the Switch was done merely two months ago, and a Cloud Version was the only solution for getting the games on the platform in time for the Smash reveal.
That post is only really talking about the trailer itself (likely because there's music in the trailer not in the game itself). It doesn't really tell us anything about when the decision to do cloud releases happened.

This will depend on pricing for me. If each seperate game is a 60$ cloud version… No. If it’s some kind of package deal I’d be more open to trying it out.

That post is only really talking about the trailer itself (likely because there's music in the trailer not in the game itself). It doesn't really tell us anything about when the decision to do cloud releases happened.
True, I'm making guesses (assumptions) with what little information I'm given

Really wish even the first two games were native. Can't justify paying for a cloud version considering I use the switch in handheld 90% of the time.

I was really hoping for a switch release but as cloud? No thank you.

I am in general a fan of cloud gaming. I experienced for example cyberpunk 2077 over geforce now and it was awesome. But i would never buy a cloud only game for full price. If it comes with something like the gamepass ok but not as full release.

Good video by MVG on the whole topic, echoing many points made by folks here as well.

He does NOT make any sense at all.

• They're not based on PS4 versions, Ubitus always uses PC versions
  • They're "cost effective" IF they're bought by people. We don't have any indication that the cloud games actually sell well on Switch but it does not seems to be the case, devs are still investing in "impossible ports"
  • Nintendo would never allow their platform to turn into cloud only machine. There has to be limits, they could go hard on "if it's runs no cloud" rule. I really don't like MVG's "this is the Nintendo's future deal with it. Or go buy a PS5" attitude.
  • Sure it might not port ANY game to Switch but the reward is big. Most impulse buys on Switch happen on physical versions, which make up the large part of Switch game sales. KH 1.5 +2.5 native and physical versions has the potential of selling more than 2 million, I think.
  • This decision is most likely made by Square on the fly. A sudden decision to cash in on Sora in Smash hype. They probably have been planning KH3 cloud for some time but added the rest to see the reaction.
  • GotG and KH are Square's first Ubitus Cloud games. Whether they'll use the service in the future or not depends on their sales. Currently, initial reaction on the net is overwhelmingly negative.
  • Square's decision might change. They could spend extra dough to create separate remasters for Switch. They know how successful remasters can be on Switch.

Buy a PS5? Was that a serious suggestion?

Two problems with that:
1. I can't play a PS5 on the train, and
2. Good luck even finding a PS5 for sale right now.

I have a PS4 and I have the collection on that, I also have gamepass so I can play the lot on PC or my Xbox series S, yet I never find time to play on those because like a lot of people I cannot justify tying the television up all evening to play an RPG.

The switch is the only platform I can spend any time gaming on, and even though I play a lot at home in handheld I refuse to buy a game that would run on the machine natively on cloud.

So strange to me that the first pack at least isnt ported onto the Switch.

Buy a PS5? Was that a serious suggestion?

Two problems with that:
1. I can't play a PS5 on the train, and
2. Good luck even finding a PS5 for sale right now.

I have a PS4 and I have the collection on that, I also have gamepass so I can play the lot on PC or my Xbox series S, yet I never find time to play on those because like a lot of people I cannot justify tying the television up all evening to play an RPG.

The switch is the only platform I can spend any time gaming on, and even though I play a lot at home in handheld I refuse to buy a game that would run on the machine natively on cloud.

That is where I am at too. I will be honest... I don't think I want a PS5 anytime soon either. Maybe it's my age being in my late 30's now, but I feel that Playstation just kinda moved past me and most of my likes in gaming. Last Sony console I loved (not counting PSP and Vita), was the PS3. If I do get another box console again, I think I may finally try Xbox? I want to play FF16 as I am hopeful it is a return to form, but I don't think I can buy a PS5 for just one game. I will see how I feel in a few years,

Shame. I love Kingdom Hearts. Yesterday I said fuck it and ordered Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS off eBay for 20 bucks and picked up Birth by Sleep for my Vita.

• They're "cost effective" IF they're bought by people. We don't have any indication that the cloud games actually sell well on Switch but it does not seems to be the case, devs are still investing in "impossible ports"
  • Nintendo would never allow their platform to turn into cloud only machine. There has to be limits, they could go hard on "if it's runs no cloud" rule. I really don't like MVG's "this is the Nintendo's future deal with it. Or go buy a PS5" attitude.
  • Sure it might not port ANY game to Switch but the reward is big. Most impulse buys on Switch happen on physical versions, which make up the large part of Switch game sales. KH 1.5 +2.5 native and physical versions has the potential of selling more than 2 million, I think.
  • This decision is most likely made by Square on the fly. A sudden decision to cash in on Sora in Smash hype. They probably have been planning KH3 cloud for some time but added the rest to see the reaction.
  • GotG and KH are Square's first Ubitus Cloud games. Whether they'll use the service in the future or not depends on their sales. Currently, initial reaction on the net is overwhelmingly negative.
  • Square's decision might change. They could spend extra dough to create separate remasters for Switch. They know how successful remasters can be on Switch.

Yea this is the one time Imma have to disagree with MVG. I agree with Kingdom Hearts 3 being cloud, but the others I'm iffy on. This definitely seems like a quick decision on the fly to get the games to release soon which may be why the remasters are cloud as well to cash in on the hype.

My biggest issue with Cloud gaming is for the games that could otherwise run on Switch publishers may decide to put it on the cloud instead. However, seeing the negative reactions I'm hoping Square reconsiders at least with the remasters. Even if they require more effort which I'm sure will be the case, porting them to Switch natively will be well worth it in the end.

Yea also PS5 is kinda hard to find right now either way.

Ugh and these already came and went on game pass? I lost my chance.

I'll only do cloud as an on the go alternative, not full price

I think another potential possibility is that native versions of the Kingdom Hearts games released as cloud versions on the Nintendo Switch could be exclusive to the DLSS model*.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see native versions of Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix come to the Nintendo Switch.

I just cannot see a reason why 1.5 and 2.5 are somehow not possible on Switch, they're technically PS2 games with PS3 remasters. I can play Burnout Paradise and NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 on my Switch without issues. The only explanation is that SE doesn't want to actually put in the work to port these games without compensation, like with the EGS and Xbox deals, even though the Switch is a better market for Kingdom Hearts than those platforms. Especially considering that this would be the first time that KH1 and KH2 are available at all on a Nintendo platform, so I'd imagine the sales would probably be good enough to justify the port.

I keep thinking about this and it just frustrates me :/

I just wanted to play my childhood on my Switch normally.

I've been reading comments all over the internet on this and man... Everybody's so pissed off. Literally not a single person happy or even indifferent about the news. That pretty much shows the general public opinion on Cloud gaming. I hope devs see that and stop creating an "artificial demand" for it.

Cloud versions obsoletely suck, they had their one chance to get me to try a kingdom hearts game and they blew it!

I’m pretty bummed about these being cloud versions. My internet isn’t the greatest, and I was really looking forward to having kingdom hearts on the go.

Filesize argument is a non-starter tbh. Game sizes are bloated on slow discs/HDDs with replicated data for seek times, these basically always get shrunk for Switch.

DQXI PS4 30.81GB
DQXI PC 32GB
DQXIS NSW 13.8GB
DQXIS PS4 28.8GB
DQXIS PC 40GB

FFX + X-2 HD PS3 24.1GB
FFX + X-2 HD PS4 31.9GB
FFX + X-2 HD PC 34GB
FFX + X-2 HD NSW 26.9GB

FFXII PS4 40.68GB
FFXII PC 50GB
FFXII NSW 12.6GB

And as for the KH Collections:

KH 1.5 PS3 22.2GB
KH 2.5 PS3 20.2GB
KH 1.5 + 2.5 PS4 50.23GB
KH 1.5 + 2.5 PC 60GB
KH 2.8 PS4 29.63GB
KH 2.8 PC 35GB

I think realistically they could squeeze 1.5 on a 16GB card without much trouble and then just make 2.5 an extra download, which is what they did for FFX + X-2 (except in Asia where the whole thing shipped on a 32GB card). 2.8 might be more problematic to port generally due to 0.2 but maybe that could be a streaming component (saving on rom size too). Actually if they wanted to cut down on rom size they could make all the "movies" in each collection streamed only too (358/2 days, Re:Coded, etc).

I just can’t see myself ever playing cloud versions of anything when I have to deal with a bandwidth cap. Horrible input lag plus not being able to stream anything else is a nonstarter.

Also, paying to stream something whose servers will be inevitably shut down in the future seems like a poor use of money. These are single player games, not MMOs. It’s not like paying a monthly fee to Netflix or Hulu where stuff rotates in and out but you’re paying for the service, not any individual show or movie.

The worst part about this is that I would have bought physical versions for the Switch so now I'm probably just gonna end up getting the PC ports.

While I'm a fan of cloud gaming in general if implemented well, and think it's gonna be the future, I really don't see the need for that solution here except for KH3.

I also wonder what the price is gonna be. If it's quite a bit cheaper than normal it could be a good choice, but otherwise I'll just stick to the eventual Steam release.

In theory I'm not that against cloud versions, as long as they keep the servers up for a good amount of years, but personally since Ubitus have no servers close to me, in the end it is the same as no release at all.
I just hope that they price it well and people that wanted to try the series can play and enjoy it.

If I haven't played them on gamepass, I'm probably not gonna play them on the cloud. Seems like Kingdom Hearts and I are destined to go our separate ways.

Very bad move by Square Enix. I can understand when western publishers do it with games like Control for example, which already was struggling to run on more powerful consoles as well as it's hard to measure how successful it is gonna be on Switch. But we talk about KH franchise here, which I think it's pretty safe to assume that it will be very successful on Switch. I personally tried cloud gaming and wasn't impressed by it. It's still a lot worse experience than native ports and SE asking full price? (not really sure about it here) for such ports is a very greedy move.

Great analysis, but
- I don't think he ever implied they used PS4 versions of the game, more like it was ported from PS4 version rather than the PS3 one, which is exactly correct as PS4 version was most likely the base for PC port.
- The second point you make is right on point. It would be interesting to see how much better this could sell if it was a proper native port. Something tells me that it would indeed offset all the development costs needed to make it run natively and that in the end it would have made more money than the cloud versions this way
- I think it's really time for Nintendo to step in and think about regulating this somehow, as more and more devs might start thinking about just using cloud for their games, especially if they would perform well sales-wise. I don't think MVG's attitude was "go buy a PS5" here, but more in line with the fact that he predicts which way Switch game development might go in the future.

When are we getting @Dark Cloud Versions of Kingdom Hearts? In this version, Sora gets banned from the Disney worlds every few weeks and you have to wait 2-4 real life weeks before you're allowed to come back and complete them.

This is really terrible, having real KH (even just KH1.5+2.5) games on Switch (not this cloud shit) would be really great.

I mean if Witcher 3 GOTY edition fit on 32GB cartridge, KH1.5+2.5 should also even if there some additional download.

Played a bit of the first game at a friends house way back when it originally released. I wasn’t super into it at the time, but I wouldn’t have minded giving these games another try at some point.

But cloud only? Not a chance.

Good day, all! First post here since verified. Will be picking these up day one. Had been waiting/hoping these would come. Can't wait to play these on my Switch! Not kerfuffled in the least about these being Cloud. I play online games routinely on my Switch without issue, and to my way of thinking, this is really no different. Most reaction I've seen is excitement they're coming regardless of form/excitement they're coming tempered by resignation of form. Can't wait!

When people when the distance to create a Doom (both of them!) port, it's just a poor showing from SE not to port a PS3 game.

Cloud games are something I could only ever imagine giving a chance if it was offered within a subscription i'd already am subsribed to like gamepass and xcloud. Sad news cuz I would have bought the game. Guess they cheaped out.

I don't think this should be too surprising. Square outright said KH wouldn't come to the Switch as recently as 2020 where Nomura said they considered it but found difficulties in the porting process. From his statement last year it sounded like they would never come, so it seemed like this was the only viable alternative.

What's bizarre is that there are ports of games like The Last Remnant and not this.

Like Is there a bigger market for The Last Remnant than Kingdom Hearts?

Kinda a monkey paw thing but atleast theres someway to play them i guess 🤷‍♂️ the 1.5+2.5 ports shouldve been ported fully imo. 2.8 and 3 as cloud i would get because of the aqua segmant and the graphics altho a downport would be possible for sure if witcher 3 can kh3 can. But square enix likes easy money and likes saving money. I guess they wanted Nintendo to pay fully for the ports. It's why i think they like their epic deals since they pay for the ports/exclusivity.

but atleast theres someway to play them i guess
nah, not really. people don't buy things just because it's the only option. they'll just not buy it period. that's why I find the "cost effective" argument bunk. it's all about the RoI, which I still think is higher if they chose to properly port the games

I was tempted to try other Cloud versions of games like RE7 and Control (I got the demo and it was really nice), but I'm against this since the purchase can get canceled anytime if they unilaterally decide to pull the game from servers. Paying full price for a six month access is also not acceptable for me. The only way I'd be on board for this kind of gaming is with a mensual subscription model.

nah, not really. people don't buy things just because it's the only option. they'll just not buy it period. that's why I find the "cost effective" argument bunk. it's all about the RoI, which I still think is higher if they chose to properly port the games
Square is not stupid, they must have known how much money they'd make by porting KH games natively. I suspect this decision is nothing but "testing waters". They'll learn their lesson when this and GotG cloud versions fail. Remember, both Ubi and Capcom released only one game on ubitus never to use it again.

Ugh I wanna play KH on Switch so badly but Cloud games are so anti-consumer.

What are the odds that KH and GotG Cloud versions bomb and Square relents and ports them to cartridges?

Ugh I wanna play KH on Switch so badly but Cloud games are so anti-consumer.

What are the odds that KH and GotG Cloud versions bomb and Square relents and ports them to cartridges?
GotG and KH3 is doubtful for obvious reasons, but KH 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8 is more probable. It wouldn't be the first time that SE markets a game as "digital only" (well "Cloud Only" in this case) and some months down the line end up releasing a physical version in some region of the world (like that weird decision of having the physical version of WoFF: Maxima be exclusive to Southeast Asia).

Back
Top Bottom