• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Chit Chat That Doesn't Have A Home | Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a thing going with the electric company right now.

Bought my house in September of 2021. Go to pay an electric bill every single month since then and I have no bill and nothing is due. Not for October, not for November, December, January, February, March, April, or May. I called, I attempted to just submit a minimum payment or an "other payment" just to pay something on the account and it did not let me. Nothing was due. We assumed that the old owners overpaid and we were good for a little while.

On June 13th I get EIGHT emails at one time with posted bills and a balance totaling $790. Then they hit me on Thursday, June 17th with ANOTHER bill (for June) for $100, making my total outstanding balance $890. Due date 07/05/22.

I reach out to JCP&L and basically say "uhhh what are these bills and why are they all getting to me now?" Their response: "It seems there was a BILLING DELAY because their accounting department has been taking on a higher than normal workload." I am very much sympathetic to a higher than normal workload but for a private company to not bill me for EIGHT months? I'm calling bullshit. So now that my electric bills are back to normal they want to tack on $100 a month to my electric bill to make up for their mistake. I said that was too much to add and they offered $75. Still incredibly too high and a wildly frustrating scenario.

In summary, private electric companies can go kick rocks.

Men's rights activists think that the world is biased towards women, or that it's "a woman's world".

These people really DO live in a different universe. I have to wonder what color the sky is on their planet.

It might not seem hot to many here but we're having nights of like 17c and I am goddamn melting. I really like summer but these hot nights can be a pain.

Hah. I mostly just prefer having more daylight than not, it's nice to look out at like 9pm and still see daylight. Would be nicer if it was bit less hot though haha.,
Yeah, I understand how summer is generally favorable to most. I simply live in an area where my winter is like most autumns, my autumn is like most springs, my spring is like most summers, and my summer is like a waking nightmare. LOL

Gotta gripe about it or else it builds up. 😅

Is there an LGBT thread on here? I've searched for one but I don't think I've come up with anything.

A banned episode of Sesame Street from the 70s featuring the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz was found. The episode was only shown once before being banned for being “too scary” for kids.

People on Twitter can't believe that Jotaro from Jojo had never played a video game before.

Well, video games weren't exactly mainstream when Stardust Crusaders was written (1989-1992), or at least, not as mainstream as they are now.

I immediately thought of AoSTH Robotnik 🤣
And now I am nostalgic. Used to love the Sonic and Mario cartoons as a kid. They just hit different compared to everything else. My daughter found the classic Mario shows on netflix and we watched them all together. Nothing like sharing my childhood memories with the new generation.

My son however, who is older, refuses to watch them due to, "old animation"...can't win them all I guess.

People on Twitter can't believe that Jotaro from Jojo had never played a video game before.

Well, video games weren't exactly mainstream when Stardust Crusaders was written (1989-1992), or at least, not as mainstream as they are now.
Hell, video games were still that "nerdy" thing that some people played and even then it was more casual.

The industry really took off during the late 1990s and only gathered momentum afterward.

Hell, a 40-year entertainment industry is still pretty fucking new in the grand scheme of things.

Some people need to have a sense of history about these things.

Tbh? I hated that time and particularly media from that era.
I like the simplicity of it. They had to create with words and music and a kind of DIY approach, which to me is a lot more appealing and real than a lot of things on TV today. What do you dislike about it? Were you around then?

I like the simplicity of it. They had to create with words and music and a kind of DIY approach, which to me is a lot more appealing and real than a lot of things on TV today. What do you dislike about it? Were you around then?
I was. Tbf, though, my childhood when it came to media wasn't that fun. It involved a lot of people sheltering me, including (unwittingly) from things that weren't that bad to begin with so I felt a bit confined, even when I was watching or playing stuff.

Just got my very first iphone. Quite a nice upgrade considering my last smartphone was a midrange android from 2018, only annoying thing is I have to wait 3 days apparently for my number to be transferred over to my new phone.

Just got my very first iphone. Quite a nice upgrade considering my last smartphone was a midrange android from 2018, only annoying thing is I have to wait 3 days apparently for my number to be transferred over to my new phone.
I might get one of those foldable phones.

Just a random vent. My daughter is 12, will be 13 in November. She’s been dealing with lots of anxiety since the pandemic went into swing in 2020.

She’s not vaccinated and I wish she was. She’s not scared of it at all or anything and knows it’s important. But I feel if she was vaccinated some of her anxiety would ease and I hate watching her be so anxious :(

Vent over.

Last edited:
Just a random vent. My diabetes is 12, will be 13 in November. She’s been dealing with lots of anxiety since the pandemic went into swing in 2020.

She’s not vaccinated and I wish she was. She’s not scared of it at all or anything and knows it’s important. But I feel if she was vaccinated some of her anxiety would ease and I hate watching her be so anxious :(

Vent over.
Maybe I'm misreading or just don't understand, but your 'diabetes'? Like, is that autto-correction for 'daughter' maybe?

Just a random vent. My daughter is 12, will be 13 in November. She’s been dealing with lots of anxiety since the pandemic went into swing in 2020.

Vent over.
Should you not urge her to get a vaccine? Are you leaving the decision to her?

My parents would just force me to do things so... I'm speaking from that experience. Sorry to offend if I did.

Should you not urge her to get a vaccine? Are you leaving the decision to her?

My parents would just force me to do things so... I'm speaking from that experience. Sorry to offend if I did.
I want her too and told her it is safe. And she knows that and is not scared of it. Even told her that in Delaware you don't need my consent, so if she happens to to walk into Walgreens...

But her mother and her grandparents up in Maine (my daughter is with me on all her vacations and breaks) are not vaccinated, don't want her to be vaccinated, and spout nonsense about the vaccines and conspiracy shit.

I want her too and told her it is safe. And she knows that and is not scared of it. Even told her that in Delaware you don't need my consent, so if she happens to to walk into Walgreens...

But her mother and her grandparents up in Maine (my daughter is with me on all her vacations and breaks) are not vaccinated, don't want her to be vaccinated, and spout nonsense about the vaccines and conspiracy shit.
Ah, so that's the situation.

Unfortunately, my parents forced me to do things growing up.

I do not have much of a reference point when it comes to how families are supposed to function.

I might have complained about this before but I really hate buying any kind of tech online. Since it's the amazon prime day sales I thought I might look for a new router. I saw some tp link ones but according to reddit I shouldn't really buy those and asus are a better option. I found an asus one for a similar price but after looking into that one on reddit apparently asus is also a bad brand to buy.

It always feels like anytime you do research for tech online, everyone thinks it's shit and this other thing is better but then when you look into the other thing, it's also apparently shit!

Old person here.

Yes.
I like the voice acting from the main cast of Cowboy Bebop just fine.
It’s the voice acting from the minor characters I’m iffy on. Like, in the second episode where Abdul Hakim enters a bar, and the bartender has a VERY stereotypical Asian accent. It was to the point where I could barely understand him.

I like the voice acting from the main cast of Cowboy Bebop just fine.
It’s the voice acting from the minor characters I’m iffy on. Like, in the second episode where Abdul Hakim enters a bar, and the bartender has a VERY stereotypical Asian accent. It was to the point where I could barely understand him.
Trying to pull up my memories of dubs from back then (which I've mostly repressed), and I think the impressive thing about Bebop that you didn't often see back then was the actors just sorta used their natural voices. For the main cast, anyway. Most other dubs of the time had the really exaggerated Saturday-morning-cartoon sound, more like.. well a modern example is Dragon Ball Z/Super. The Funimation DBZ dub was one of the OGs of hated dubs back in the day and most of the cast from back then is still doing the show today. That over-exaggeration of the voice, accents, and delivery that was so common back then is probably what you're picking up from the secondary cast.

Trying to pull up my memories of dubs from back then (which I've mostly repressed), and I think the impressive thing about Bebop that you didn't often see back then was the actors just sorta used their natural voices. For the main cast, anyway. Most other dubs of the time had the really exaggerated Saturday-morning-cartoon sound, more like.. well a modern example is Dragon Ball Z/Super. The Funimation DBZ dub was one of the OGs of hated dubs back in the day and most of the cast from back then is still doing the show today. That over-exaggeration of the voice, accents, and delivery that was so common back then is probably what you're picking up from the secondary cast.

I was just expecting more from the Cowboy Bebop dub.

Maybe I'm just used to listening to good dubs, like Jojo.

I was just expecting more from the Cowboy Bebop dub.

Maybe I'm just used to listening to good dubs, like Jojo.
Well remember, it was really good relative to its time. Bebop and JoJo's dubs are over twenty years apart.

Also I've never heard JoJo's dub so I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not but I'm assuming that was sincere

Now I feel like people might think I'm weird because I don't think Cowboy Bebop's dub is the best dub ever.

That's considered blasphemy in some parts of the internet.
I think most people will recognize that Bebop walked so the future of the dub industry could run.

Thank god for screen protectors. Was sat outside in the garden today when my phone fell out of my pocket onto the hard floor. Pretty long cracks/scratches in the top left and bottom right of my screen protector. Was really worried it was under but nope, my actual phone's screen is perfectly fine whilst the protector is pretty effed. I'm relieved haha.

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this, please let me know if there’s a more appropriate place.

I just ended a six year friendship, you ever meet someone that’s a slave to their ego.
Like they have a massive superiority complex, and attempting to get them to be a normal human being and have a normal conversation is like convincing a brick wall to to take two steps to the right.
Honestly, I’m a little disappointed because he can be such a cool guy when he’s behaving, but that’s a side you’re only gonna see 10% of the time you hang out,
but on the other hand I feel a massive sense of relief, I’m surprised we made it six years.

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this, please let me know if there’s a more appropriate place.

I just ended a six year friendship, you ever meet someone that’s a slave to their ego.
Like they have a massive superiority complex, and attempting to get them to be a normal human being and have a normal conversation is like convincing a brick wall to to take two steps to the right.
Honestly, I’m a little disappointed because he can be such a cool guy when he’s behaving, but that’s a side you’re only gonna see 10% of the time you hang out,
but on the other hand I feel a massive sense of relief, I’m surprised we made it six years.
100% have been through this, know what it's like. If it gets to that point where hanging out isn't even fun because of the behavior or the conversation content, getting out of it is imo the best thing to do. 👍

100% have been through this, know what it's like. If it gets to that point where hanging out isn't even fun because of the behavior or the conversation content, getting out of it is imo the best thing to do. 👍

Yep. I used to ignore it, but that was a mistake on my end. I thought as we grew he’d mature, but he only seemed to dig deeper and deeper, until hanging with him felt like a chore. I had to walk away.

Nickelodeon rejected Adventure Time. You know, that cartoon that basically revived Cartoon Network and became one of the best and most influential cartoons of the 2010s.

And what was Nickelodeon airing in the 2010s? Fanboy and Chum-Chum, Bunsen Is a Beast, Big Goat Banana Cricket, Breadwinners and Planet Sheen.

Just saw the new GoT prequel show.

It was alright. I know the last two seasons of GoT left a spurt taste in everyone’s mouth, including me.

But the first six seasons were great, with season 4 being it’s peak.

Not fair to compare as this was the pilot, but fuck, I can comparing it to the pilot of GoT and it just pales as an introduction. It feels cheap in its production values as well. The use of CGI is overkill to the point of distraction, and it’s worse than the CGI in GoT. The cinematography is also just middling. The first episode of GoT was just beautiful, and the way it was shot made it stand out. This looks… bland.

On the subject of CGI, I really wish these shows would use model work for establishing shots and set pieces. CGI works best when it utilized like matte paintings were used back in the day; to compliment the sets and models. They would use camera tricks to play with perspective so a small model would look huge when used in the background of a set of to establish a shot.

Instead it’s bad very distracting CG for shit that could have been a model.

So that’s my thought on the first episode so far. It is alright. Hoping the series is at least entertaining and picks up.

Reminiscing with a legendary Twitter backfire from 2018. A nasty ice storm was battering Toronto. Definitely not baseball weather. But, thankfully:

Da71LkGUwAAIhHx

They may have been motivated to bring this up because the game in Cleveland the day before was rained out.

Well, not long after...

The damage was kind of a freak incident, admittedly. Ice fell from the massive CN Tower next to the stadium:

Reminiscing with a legendary Twitter backfire from 2018. A nasty ice storm was battering Toronto. Definitely not baseball weather. But, thankfully:

Da71LkGUwAAIhHx

They may have been motivated to bring this up because the game in Cleveland the day before was rained out.

Well, not long after...

The damage was kind of a freak incident, admittedly. Ice fell from the massive CN Tower next to the stadium:

Omg that's fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom