• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Chit Chat That Doesn't Have A Home | Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Don’t Look Up. Loved it.

Some are complaining that it’s not subtle and on the nose, and to that say? Who cares? Not sure why some people need things to be told all the time in a backwards and runabout way to say something without actually saying it.

The movie knows what it’s about and it works for me because the actors play the movie straight for the most part with the absurdities. It’s not a comedy like his other movies such as Stepbrothers, etc. Except for a few scenes that were obviously played for goofy laughs, what makes it great, is again, how the movie plays it seriously despite it being a comedy.

I recommend it. Don’t expect a laugh out loud type of comedy. It’s just an absurd romp.

I'm crying and laughing at the reactions for Don't Look Up. You don't make this stuff up.

How is it a bad movie when it generated all this discourse online lmao

Death to 2021 was pretty good. It's crazy how easy it is to forget what happened in the year when so much crap is happening. Just one after the next.

I'm finally feeling the need to upgrade from my iPhone 7. My case is falling apart, some of my calls are dropping, and I'm getting a bit tired of how long it takes to scan QR codes.

Assuming I'm still getting iPhone, what should I get 13 or 13 Pro?

How many tabs does everyone have open?

I'm a bit of a tabaholic so I have around 700 tabs open on my phone atm. Only reason I know it's around 700 is because a little while ago I accidentally clicked the close all tabs button and was relieved when I saw "693 tabs undo"

For pc I'm a lot better and typically have between 30 to 60 tabs open. Used to be around 300+ in the past but Firefox doesn't like having that many tabs open so I do my best to keep the number down. If ram usage wasn't a thing I'd probably be in the thousands for pc tabs haha.

I'm a bit of a tabaholic so I have around 700 tabs open on my phone atm. Only reason I know it's around 700 is because a little while ago I accidentally clicked the close all tabs button and was relieved when I saw "693 tabs undo"

For pc I'm a lot better and typically have between 30 to 60 tabs open. Used to be around 300+ in the past but Firefox doesn't like having that many tabs open so I do my best to keep the number down. If ram usage wasn't a thing I'd probably be in the thousands for pc tabs haha.
Samsung Browser limits me to 99 open tabs on my phone. If I get to the warning message I'll usually close all open tabs. I keep a few tabs "locked" if I have a game guide or something I want to periodically refer back to.

I've got an extension for Chrome that limits me to 30 to avoid having too many open and getting lost/using up too much resource.

I became a tabaholic at the advent of Wikipedia. I would open so many background tabs when going down the rabbit hole of an evening, always intending to come back to interesting topics and links. Sometimes succeeding; often not.

If anything I'm the opposite. Juggling tabs on my phone is a pain in the butt, but on my laptop you can usually assume I have 10+ tabs open.

I hate having too many tabs open! I religiously close any tabs or apps I'm no longer using on my phone. And on PC, I'll have around 10 if I'm going down a rabbit hole, but I try and stop there. I have my bookmarks pretty organized so I can jump back into my favorite sites from a clean tab very easily.

Question: what's the best (preferably free) way to AI upscale a larger amount of images? I have a collection of around 17 or so images that I would like to upscale, as I'd like to use them as wallpaper images.

I know self promotion is lame, but I've been writing songs since I was 15 and I'm recently getting over some of the worst writer's block I've ever had. Zero inspiration. No motivation.

So I like to make pop music, and used to play in some pop punk / queer punk bands. But this project I'm working on is a solo production where my goal is to make the most colorful sounding pop music I can, a la Pet Sounds.

So I just finished this song, and am working on several others for a new album under my project named Good Fight. Here it is:

Here's the first Good Fight album I wrote and recorded on my iPhone 4S. Hopefully you can tell how much my music production skills have improved since then.

Think I might finally buy some Bitcoin with this most recent crash.
Every time I hear about it exploding in value I'm always like "huh, I should have got some" so I don't want to have missed the boat for the next time it does.

You know what? I still wanna get an actual massage one of these days. I have never done this at all, and it has been on my list.

You know what? I still wanna get an actual massage one of these days. I have never done this at all, and it has been on my list.
Dewit.

No, seriously, it's good to have one just to take away stress.

Take it from someone that has a general disdain for anything that I consider "New Age" and all that stuff.

And to be clear: I'm not saying that massage parlors are some New Age chicanery but my exposure to them and massages unfortunately came from people in the family that were deep into that stuff.

But, err, yes, definitely do it sometime. They're pretty good.

Dewit.

No, seriously, it's good to have one just to take away stress.

Take it from someone that has a general disdain for anything that I consider "New Age" and all that stuff.

And to be clear: I'm not saying that massage parlors are some New Age chicanery but my exposure to them and massages unfortunately came from people in the family that were deep into that stuff.

But, err, yes, definitely do it sometime. They're pretty good.
I think my main issue at one point was cost. I am so gonna do it sometime, just need to decide when.

I think my main issue at one point was cost. I am so gonna do it sometime, just need to decide when.
Honestly, it really is pretty good for relieving stress and kinda "rebooting" yourself. I would just jump right in, so to speak.

But I understand that you don't want to overspend or anything like that.

I've been hit by insomnia again. Or at least the inability to fall asleep and stay asleep, going to try starting exercising more during the day, and hopefully that'll help me out a bit.

My nights are the moment are just not falling asleep and then pissing away time on the internet until I eventually can. 😩

I've been hit by insomnia again. Or at least the inability to fall asleep and stay asleep, going to try starting exercising more during the day, and hopefully that'll help me out a bit.

My nights are the moment are just not falling asleep and then pissing away time on the internet until I eventually can. 😩
That's the WORST. Sometimes I feel like I&' going crazy.

Working out during the day—even just jogging or using my excercise bike—followed by an evening yoga sesh has been helping a lot personally.

Still in shock and getting the celebratory energy out of the system, but got admitted into the Doctor of Pharmacy program in the island's top school (≈35% acceptance rate) 🙌🏽. Four rough years in the bachelor degree for a 4.00 GPA, shadowing, and a varied experience in extracurricular activities did their work! 🙌🏽. We are now in the path of being the first Doctorate degree in the family!

The student loan part will be pretty rough 🥴 though, thankfully at least not as much as if I had gone to a university in US or a private uni.

It took me a while, but I finally decided to join this forum to follow the folks of Nintendo Era, some of you might remember me.

Been asked to film a little birthday surprise video message for someone and man this is harder than I thought. It's like once I start filming myself I lose any ability to sound natural and I swear the camera makes me look 10x uglier than I am haha.

My wife and I have a sweet sixteen party this weekend for one of her stepsisters. None of us really want to go at all because it will be a two hour drive to New Jersey, and last night she said, "What if we take our at home rapid Covid test, we have Covid and are just asymptomatic, and we can just stay the fuck home?!"

That gave me a fucked up idea. Fake Covid tests with a blue strip on it pre-painted.

Have a family get together you want to get out of? Need to do something fun that is not sitting at your desk at work? Want to avoid friends who over the years you find more annoying than ever?

"Sorry guys, I have Covid. Maybe next time!"

That's a business plan!

A fun thing I do sometimes is how foreigners living in my country (Netherlands) perceive habits that are normal to Dutch people but weird for them. And next to the directness of Dutch people one other topic constantly comes up: planning.

I didn't even realize that was a Dutch thing but people from other countries really notice how time efficiënt Dutch people are and how they schedule everything. When I hear this, it's my turn to be surprised. Because how the hell do you go about meetings? You have to plan those in advance right? Especially if you don't want to waste other people's time. And if you want to visit friends, you can't just show up. Maybe they are not home or you enforce yourself on their free time. It's extrremely rude right?

A fun thing I do sometimes is how foreigners living in my country (Netherlands) perceive habits that are normal to Dutch people but weird for them. And next to the directness of Dutch people one other topic constantly comes up: planning.

I didn't even realize that was a Dutch thing but people from other countries really notice how time efficiënt Dutch people are and how they schedule everything. When I hear this, it's my turn to be surprised. Because how the hell do you go about meetings? You have to plan those in advance right? Especially if you don't want to waste other people's time. And if you want to visit friends, you can't just show up. Maybe they are not home or you enforce yourself on their free time. It's extrremely rude right?
I have a Dutch coworker and you ain't wrong. Have to plan month in advance to grab drinks after work usually.

If you don't feel like building your own computer and would rather get a prebuilt, what are the best major computer brands? The worst?

Had a windshield wiper break on me this weekend. Decided to get a replacement quickly before the work week starts again. Found the page in my user manual that shows me the size of wiper to get, and how to replace them. Go into Canadian Tire, get the wiper blade. Good price too, lucky me.

Figured I’d replace both my wipers since I’ve had the same ones since I bought the car a couple years back.

Anyway, I just spent about 40 minutes in a Canadian Tire parking lot LITERALLY PRYING the other wiper off. Can’t figure it out, using everything in me to push and pull, Googling ways to do it. Finally decided to just open the package of blades to see what exactly I’m trying to unhook from my blade.

There’s only one in there.
Just the one. Just the replacement. Why I thought I’d get two for $19 is beyond me me.

When I tell you I slapped that bitch on so fast and shot out of the parking. I’m so embarrassed, lmaooo. Pieces of the other blade were chipping off while I was working on it, so I’m sure I’ll be returning to replace the other one sooner than later now. At least I’ll know how to do it this time!

Last edited:
Had to have some pictures taken for new passport photo and my god I absolutely hate having my picture taken. I'm very jealous of photogenic people cause I don't think I'm ugly in real life but man I always end up looking like a proper weirdo in pictures. It's like I'm a completely different person in a picture compared to seeing my reflection, I hate it haha.

Had to have some pictures taken for new passport photo and my god I absolutely hate having my picture taken. I'm very jealous of photogenic people cause I don't think I'm ugly in real life but man I always end up looking like a proper weirdo in pictures. It's like I'm a completely different person in a picture compared to seeing my reflection, I hate it haha.
Same. I hate pictures of me unless I have complete control of pose, facial expression, etc cause every picture of me just makes me look like an entire different person. As if they took a snap of me mid motion no matter what I do lol

Hiya! I'm a newish? member, I joined a week ago but didn't see this thread before lol.
I don't know what to share about me, so I'll just say the last movie I watched was Happy Deathday, I liked it a lot tbh.

Fashion-Fami,

Going to a wedding in April, so going Spanish style of course cause ties are for suckers. An off white guayabera, olive green trousers.

What color blazer or jacket goes with green trousers? Blue? Navy? Brown?

Hiya! I'm a newish? member, I joined a week ago but didn't see this thread before lol.
I don't know what to share about me, so I'll just say the last movie I watched was Happy Deathday, I liked it a lot tbh.

Welcome to Famiboards!!! I've heard good things about that movie, I should check it out.

Last movie I saw was French Dispatch, ok but not my favorite Wes Anderson movie.

I don't really know where else to post car gripes, so I guess here? 😅

I just swallowed my anxiety for a bit and went to my local Toyota dealership to ask if I could test drive the new Supra. And this was a very big deal to me because I had a Supra throughout college that my dad bought wrecked and helped me rebuild, so it was my baby. Selling it years ago has turned into a colossal regret, as shortly afterwards the prices on them fucking quintupled so it became this "Welp, never gonna get those years back" sort of feeling. Until Toyota announced the new one. Yes, it's expensive, but it's now at a point where it's cheaper than the old one, and since it's a new car I won't have to worry about it breaking down and a bank would actually give someone a loan on it so I thought "that would be more sensible than chasing one like my old one." So I've been excited about the fact that maybe, maybe the dream isn't dead. Maybe I can have my old buddy back, in some form. And today there happened to be a used one at my local dealership, so I asked and they very graciously tossed me the keys and...

I don't like it.

I can't SEE out of the damn thing. And it's like that with several other late-model cars I've driven. What's this thing where the windshields are now like looking through a tank slit? I was having to lean forward and hug the steering wheel every time I pulled up to an intersection so I could see the lights and street signs. I couldn't see out the window because when it turned my head to the left the top of the window was in line with my damn nose. And why on earth do cars now have fixed headrests that just forward at 45°? Why do I need a headrest jamming my chin into my neck? And it's not because the car is too small, because I daily drove a 72 Datsun for years that was extremely comfortable and had great visibility. Yes, this car is small, but these weird little things coalesced to make it incredibly uncomfortable for me to drive. I couldn't get a sense of where I was on the road. Especially in town it made me feel very uneasy. Which is the polar opposite of my old Supra, which was one of the best cars I've ever driven.

Yes, this is very first-world-problemy, and no, I can't afford it anyway so it's not like anything is actually different for me. It's just that a small dream I had managed to revitalize died today, and it kinda sucks. What's goofy is my Toyota pickup has the exact same headlight and turn signal stalks as my old Supra had, so that truck feels more like coming home than this new Supra did. So at least I have that going for me. Which is nice.

/endrant

Just got my first pair of "proper" headphones. Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro x's. I was a little concerned because they're apparently more for studio work and critical listening rather than just more casual music and games but I wanted a good pair of open-back headphones that could be used on my PS5, Switch and Laptop as well rather than needing an amp or anything like that to use, and they seemed to fit that bill. I've used them for about 20 minutes now and they sound really good to me, they're also the comfiest pair of headphones I've ever used, really really comfortable to wear.

Got sucked into the world that is Marvis Pro for Apple Music. I might have bought it simply because it shows how many times you have played a song. :ROFLMAO:

Matt McMuscles' "Wha Happun?" series has been changed to "What Happened?". I liked, "Wha Happun?" better. It sounds like something someone would say in a confused tone, which fits the theme of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom