• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers movie coming to Disney+ on May 20th

Pretty fucked up that the the villian is
Peter Pan, who is angry he's getting old seeing as Bobby Driscoll, the voice actor for Pan had his life ruined and spiral into heroin addiction after being unceremoniously fired from Disney for the crime of puberty.

Pretty neat movie. For John Mulaney and Andy Samburg I do wish it was funnier but either way it was a really clever idea.

Peter Pan, who is angry he's getting old seeing as Bobby Driscoll, the voice actor for Pan had his life ruined and spiral into heroin addiction after being unceremoniously fired from Disney for the crime of puberty.
I did not know that story and I’ll bet he was written that way purposely.

that’s_the_joke.gif

Given the specificity of the backstory on the villain that seems very intentional

that’s_the_joke.gif

Given the specificity of the backstory on the villain that seems very intentional
It's a bit fucked up if Disney is mining their own shitty history as a company to use as inspiration for cartoon villains.

It's like if there was a new Oz film, and the Wicked Witch in it turns out to be Dorothy plagued by a lifetime of eating disorders, abuse and depression. Like; actors being treated like shit by your company shouldn't then have their abuse/problems monetized to make more revenue for your company. It's not "meta" if you're doing it without introspection to just make more money.

It's a bit fucked up if Disney is mining their own shitty history as a company to use as inspiration for cartoon villains.
Definitely agree it’s messed up. I don’t think this is the first time they’ve done that, but I’m struggling to remember another example.

Last edited:
Watch this with friends today and really loved it. I'm pretty shocked how it was essentially a The Lonely Island/SNL sketch that somehow got Disney's stamp of approval and budget. The amount of references and blink-and-you-miss-it jokes and gag were so funny, it's shocking how much they got to reference not just in Disney's catalog but all of animated pop culture. The voice actors all did a great job, and so did Kiki Layne with the thankless role of the live-action straight man. She maybe had the best bit of the entire movie with that "tragic" backstory of hers.

Did not know about the real-life backstory specifically based on the villain. Definitely seems like an intentional mention and critique from the writing team to the studio overseeing them, it reminds me of certain aspects of Scream 3 in this way with their no-so-subtle critique on Harvey Weinstein. Although we can definitely discuss whether they were effective or not, I can totally see how/why it's in poor taste and problematic in hindsight, I had really enjoyed the reveal and commentary in the moment.

Watched it with my wife and 10 year old daughter and we all loved it.

That one cameo thats now trending worldwide is certainly amazing. The villain back story is a bit fucked up tho. And also that one fan art tracing thing is kinda bad but that all aside a funny and good movie.

This thread seemed to start off sour on the trailer, so I’m glad to see plenty of people enjoying the film like I did.

Haven’t seen a fun new comedy in a while. Watched Senior Year on Friday.

I thought John Mulaney gave a great performance and I loved the way Chip was animated.

That is indeed messed up about the back story though.

The more I dig into this, the more its just really shitty on Disney. I can't help but think of all the child TV stars getting messed up for working for Disney.

I don‘t like it. It has an original style, I’ll give it that and all the inside jokes and cameos are really cool. But it is just fan service with the story like a constant parody so I couldn‘t take seriously anything. It just shows that writers don‘t really know what to do with those aging IPs anymore so instead of doing a bad reboot, they are making it "Meta" (I‘m looking at you Matrix). The first few times this can be interesting but I‘m sure this will get worse with each new movie.
Also the 2D-3D shading: gross.

Back
Top Bottom