• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers movie coming to Disney+ on May 20th

... so Mario will have competition for biggest acid trip movie of 2022.

I barfed a little. LOVED LOVED LOVED Rescue Rangers when I was a kid - along with Duck Tales and Darkwing - and, what is this? I really like the Roger Rabbit like approach they are taking, and why not? Roger Rabbit is amazing and had such a great premise, but I feel this is shooting for lowest common denominator. I feel like it's not even a kids movie, but a stoner movie...

It didn't take Disney+ to hit that Netflix phase where 99% of the stuff makes me go

2a4bfd684d406fda0319fc430520214c.gif

"Rescue Rangers" and "Lonely Island" are two sets of words I never thought I would see together.

Even though I loved the show as a kid and the movie looks completely different I don't mind much because it's clearly set out of continuity from the show.

Also wow, the Mario movie is coming out this year. I had forgotten that fact.

Both Rescue Rangers and Mario have Seth Rogen and Keegan Michael-Key in their cast. Stoner Mario movie incoming? lol

Disney trying to compete with Rule34 in ruining my childhood.

I'm up for it in both cases tho.

People are comparing this to Space Jam 2 but ... Disney does NOT own My Little Poney (hasbro), the 2019 Cats movie (universal) or the ugly Bewulf cg movie (paramount/warner) ....

People are comparing this to Space Jam 2 but ... Disney does NOT own My Little Poney (hasbro), the 2019 Cats movie (universal) or the ugly Bewulf cg movie (paramount/warner) ....
Yeah, I was wondering about those, especially since it seems the whole point of licensing them for the movie is to make fun of them.

In like Flyn.

This looks like a completely dumb movie with some Who Framed Roger Rabbit kind of energy. I loved the series as a kid, but The Lonely Island doing a behind the music kind of thing is actually kind of funny. Chip and Dale having "normal voices" as the high pitched voice are them acting is something I can accept. Not going to lie, the Cats joke and the bad CGI stuff made me crack a smile.

Either way, this going to be very, very bad or surprisingly funny.

I disagree about the Roger Rabbit vibes people feel from this movie.

Roger Rabbit was a movie with a proper concept behind it and actual world building. It aimed for a noir setting, which by itself was already an interesting move and then handled the characters so that they wouldn't go against their respective worlds. Toons would be actors but would still act like their actual selves, going for a chaotic behaviour that was a very interesting contrast with the more grounded real life people like Valiant and the exploitative industry people that used them like fodder to get richer and richer. It was made by people who knew the industry and knew which buttons to push to build a satire that still contained an actual genuine story behind it.

This movie, in comparison, feels incredibly cynical. Chip and Dale don't act like themselves, but more like washed up actors that were just playing a role, Monterey being cheese-addicted is probably the most superficial way to read the character, the kind of take Michael Bay would have about a cartoon character. This feels more like a Hangover kind of deal and I highly doubt a couple of funny lines will save it. Every movie nowadays has one or two jokes that work, that doesn't make the rest of it good.

I agree with the people saying that a Ducktales-like approach would've been much better and more respectful toward the characters. This feels like one of those nostalgia operations that want to appeal to adults that are nostalgic about the original series but don't want to feel ashamed watching a "kids cartoon". If treated well this could've been a sort of Rescuers-like deal (which also would've made sense since Rescue Rangers WAS originally going to be a Rescuers series) and it's sad that in modern Hollywood you just can't have that kind of genuinely adventurous atmosphere anymore.

Uff. It seems like that we are getting even more of those "hey, how can we make an ironic and super self referential sequel to a franchise that didn‘t get anything the last 20+ years?" movies.

Nah. I was hoping it was from the DuckTales show as a spinoff, but unfortunately, they went with the Smurfs approach.

New trailer

I'm in. This looks so ridiculous I have to watch it.

Wait a minute.

Chip, who is supposed to still be a 2d cell painted classic animation, is a 3d model. Chips a lie. This bothers me way more than it should.

also..... Washed up peter pan is clearly a 3d model.

Especially since there are clearly other actually 2d animated (digitally colored, but that's fine) characters shown.

why?

i am outraged. Outraged I say.

Wait a minute.

Chip, who is supposed to still be a 2d cell painted classic animation, is a 3d model. Chips a lie. This bothers me way more than it should.
It bothers me exactly as much as it should.
Which is to say, a lot.

I get that hand-drawn animation is very difficult and time-consuming to do for modern production pipelines but they made it a plot point that Dale had "CGI surgery" and Chip didn't, so it makes it stand out so friggin hard that Chip is... CGI anyway.

I wonder if maybe they wrote it with the intention of doing CGI and hand-drawn, had that be a heavy part of the plot, then later some executive said "yeah no, we're not spending that kind of time and money, do it all in CG." I'm imagining Samberg crying a little when they broke the news to him, with Jorm and Kiv having to console him.

Either way.. I should be excited and I will try not to be pissy about the animation like I still am towards DBS: Super Hero. 😔

they just better not.. better. not. fuck up Darkwing Duck.

Just watched it, absolutely floored. lmao

I can't believe they got all these licenses from the different companies for characters just to poke fun at and riff on them.

The director praising Disney's lawyers for negotiating all this says a ton on how it must've been hell.

One very important cameo is gonna take over the internet soon if it hasn't already.

Last edited:
Youtube thumbnails are bound and determined to spoil everything in this movie for me, I swear to god

Edit: I swear to god again, even Disney+ now has a whole category that's "Cameos From Chip N Dale" like at least wait a week or something yall goddamn 😩

Last edited:
So, we've seen the movie today and found out there's a really unexpected cameo:

An adult Ash Ketchum appear por a few seconds (considering some other Nintendo references in the movie, it's an obvious Pokémon easter egg)

Pic here, we've covered it in a news story! - https://nintenduo.com/ash-ketchum-adulto-el-cameo-de-pokemon-en-la-pelicula-de-chip-y-chop/
I figured the idea was that it was just a cosplayer that somewhat resembles Ash, and not a direct cameo like the rest..
Another odd thing i noticed, was the Chip & Dale arcade machine. The NES game was released on the Playchoice-10, but the machine used in the movie looks custom made.

You do know this was announced the other year
I do, and I wants it now, which is why I chant. 😁 Plus I literally just finished Chip N Dale and was riding high off the last shot as I was posting that.
However, what I did not know was that Seth Rogan was producing. I thought it was gonna branch off from DW's reboot in DuckTales, but.... I don't know how to feel about this.

The result of The Lonely Island getting a Disney movie. 😂
I should've known they were involved just by the style of the film

Also, I just want to add that it's a bit disappointing the toons didn't seem to mesh nearly as well with the live actors despite being decades since Roger Rabbit. There's absolutely no weight or physicality to them.

Back
Top Bottom