• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data CESA White Book 2021 Update - Nintendo Switch, WiiU, 3DS, sales data update

Terrarios

Rattata

Source : https://www.gov-book.or.jp/ebook/detail.php?product_id=372169

Nintendo Switch

• Mario Tennis Aces – 3.66 million units (+370 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • 1-2-Switch – 3.45 million units (+ 140 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze – 3.42 million units (+490 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Kirby Star Allies – 3.42 million units (+270 000 units since June 30th 2020), including 1.09 million units in Japan alone
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses – 3.40 million units (+380 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • ARMS – 2.56 million units (+90 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Yoshi’s Crafted World – 2.56 million units (+470 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – 2.17 million units (+120 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Octopath Traveler (excl. Japan) – 1.90 million units (+220 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – 1.77 million units (+190 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX – 1.60 million units (+170 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit – 1.42 million units (+50 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order – 1.31 million units (+180 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • ASTRAL CHAIN – 1.21 million units (+70 000 units since June 30th 2020)
  • Dr Kawashima’s Braicn Training for Nintendo Switch – 1.05 million units
Wii U

• Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – 2.02 million units
  • Wii Party U – 1.79 million units
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 1.70 million units
  • Yoshi’s Woolly World – 1.57 million units
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – 1.37 million units
  • Pikmin 3 – 1.27 million units
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD – 1.15 million units
  • LEGO City Undercover – 1.15 million units
Nintendo 3DS

• Luigi’s Mansion 2 – 6.44 million units
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D – 6.34 million units
  • Nintendogs+cats – 4.67 million units
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds – 4.21 million units
  • Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS – 3.76 million units
  • Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer – 3.51 million units
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D – 3.36 million units
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright / Conquest / Revelation – 3.03 million units
  • Mario Party: Island Tour – 2.93 million units
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 2.91 million units
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 2.67 million units
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe – 2.63 million units
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star – 2.48 million units
  • Fire Emblem Awakening – 2.33 million units
  • Yoshi’s New Island – 2.04 million units
  • LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins – 2.04 million units
  • Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon – 1.66 million units
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot – 1.60 million units
  • Mario Tennis Open – 1.57 million units
  • Yo-kai Watch (excl. Japan) – 1.49 million units
  • Nintendo Presents: New Style Boutique – 1.44 million units
  • Pokémon Rumble Blast – 1.40 million units
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity – 1.38 million units
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising – 1.36 million units
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes – 1.36 million units
  • Miitopia – 1.21 million units
  • Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Flashy Souls / Psychic Specters (excl. Japan) – 1.20 million units
  • Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam – 1.07 million units
  • Star Fox 64 3D – 1.05 million units
  • Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (excl. Japan) – 1.02 million units
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix – 10.01 million units

Is 3M combined between Switch and WiiU enough for a Captain Toad sequel?

Please?

(I'm guessing the 3DS sales are nearly BIS-level bad considering how quickly everyone abandoned the 3DS once the Switch came out.)

Also, and I said this in another thread, let's see a Wooly World port to Switch, please. The port to 3DS only was a head-scratcher to me. I get that Crafted World came out around then, but only porting it to 3DS was weird. You'd think they'd just hold off until a couple years after Crafted World came out. Honestly, the 3DS support lasting for as long as it did really surprised me.

Oh wow, cool to see Brain Training on Switch finally hit 1 million worldwide!!

Marvel selling 1.3m despite the minimal marketing (it was released in the same month with Fire Emblem) is an impressive feat.

Nintendo really needs to do a complete package re-release for a reduced price and push it even harder.

Marvel selling 1.3m despite the minimal marketing (it was released in the same month with Fire Emblem) is an impressive feat.

Nintendo really needs to do a complete package re-release for a reduced price and push it even harder.
Got to get back to that. Really liked what I played but it came out in a crowded back half of the year and I ended up playing other games.

If Tropical Freeze manages to hit 4-5M on Switch alone it'd be wonderful. Combined it's already 5M which is awesome.

Hope we get a new 2D DK sometime.

Got to get back to that. Really liked what I played but it came out in a crowded back half of the year and I ended up playing other games.
Definitely needs some polish & I’m not talking about the technical aspect of it. Overall I think a better game then the other three. Now they just need to incorporate some of the stuff from those three games & make characters a little more unique w/ more character interaction & content.
Is 3M combined between Switch and WiiU enough for a Captain Toad sequel?

Please?

(I'm guessing the 3DS sales are nearly BIS-level bad considering how quickly everyone abandoned the 3DS once the Switch came out.)

Also, and I said this in another thread, let's see a Wooly World port to Switch, please. The port to 3DS only was a head-scratcher to me. I get that Crafted World came out around then, but only porting it to 3DS was weird. You'd think they'd just hold off until a couple years after Crafted World came out. Honestly, the 3DS support lasting for as long as it did really surprised me.
Probably though it depends if the team thinks the concept is done.

As for anything that was put on the 3DS Nintendo had no interest in porting it to the Switch. Those games were probably commissioned at a time were they could only be 3DS & they didn’t want to delay them nor task the teams with doing the work. They also weren’t sure yet whether the Switch or the 3DS audience would migrate over quickly.

Regardless it looks like Nintendo isn’t entirely interested in bringing that library over yet since there are a few outside of Zelda that can probably work given remaster treatment.

Totally. The switch version accounts for 80% (at the 2.5 mil) that's crazy
More than 80% , Switch version outside of Japan two months before the post accounts for 80% of sales .You have to count also Japan numbers that We know are at least 190k retail (no amazon/digital) and this game has probably a higher than usual digital share due to being stock constrained at launch so a 30% digital share would be realistic (so around 300k units sold in Japan). I would expect Switch version to be around 90% of the game sales (which is expected due to being exclusive day 1 and Switch being the best selling platform for JRPGs).

Good excuse to repost my spreadsheet again; already updated it with all of the new numbers from the white papers.

Hopefully the 2021 numbers still happen on schedule and aren't delayed, lol.

As a sales guy, Switch is a sales beast man. The numbers it produces for any game is mind boggling. Nintendo really won the generation.

I genuinely did not see New Horizons being the fourth-best Nintendo seller ever (second-best if you take out the pack-in games).

Yes, it came out at the start of the pandemic, but that can't entirely explain how much it blew up.

If you had bet me that NH would sell more than Mario Kart Wii in January 2020, I would have bet everything I owned that it wouldn't, and also I would consequently be broke as fuck.

I die every time I don’t see Xenoblade X on the list. I know it’s basically impossible at this point lol. But let a guy dream!

I genuinely did not see New Horizons being the fourth-best Nintendo seller ever (second-best if you take out the pack-in games).

Yes, it came out at the start of the pandemic, but that can't entirely explain how much it blew up.

If you had bet me that NH would sell more than Mario Kart Wii in January 2020, I would have bet everything I owned that it wouldn't, and also I would consequently be broke as fuck.
Yea, it's pretty wild. Pandemic definitely didn't hurt it. Potentially there was pent-up demand due to skipping the Wii U and maybe people skipped New Leaf?

I'm looking at the Investor Relations site and it's basically a 3x increase over both the DS and 3DS iterations. Which isn't shared by Mario Kart, Pokemon and other generational titles.

Yea, it's pretty wild. Pandemic definitely didn't hurt it. Potentially there was pent-up demand due to skipping the Wii U and maybe people skipped New Leaf?

I'm looking at the Investor Relations site and it's basically a 3x increase over both the DS and 3DS iterations. Which isn't shared by Mario Kart, Pokemon and other generational titles.
It's so odd in that New Leaf did 12M, and that was a high, and the last time it wa on home console, it only did 4M.

Obviously, Nintendo built the series nicely over the years, but to go back two generations and see one of its flagship IPs do only 4M on 101M base before doing ~40M on 104M base just two entries later is wild.

And it's not like the extra Animal Crossing games (HHD, Amiibo Festival) did the sort of numbers that indicated that people were clamoring for more Animal Crossing like that, either!

I know that Isabelle is a super-popular character in Japan, and I think there's a movie and maybe an anime of the series there? And I know about the KK Slider opening for the Inklings in a virtual concert stuff, so I can get there with the increase in Japanese sales, but this blowing up in all other regions like this had absolutely ZERO signs of happening before it did. I can't think of another long-running series where a late entry did something like this.

More than 80% , Switch version outside of Japan two months before the post accounts for 80% of sales .You have to count also Japan numbers that We know are at least 190k retail (no amazon/digital) and this game has probably a higher than usual digital share due to being stock constrained at launch so a 30% digital share would be realistic (so around 300k units sold in Japan). I would expect Switch version to be around 90% of the game sales (which is expected due to being exclusive day 1 and Switch being the best selling platform for JRPGs).
I forgot to add the "over 80%" xD. But yeah I did not include digital and that makes a difference.

And it goes without saying that jrps on the platform sale. People like to complain that these games are exclusive to the switch but look at the track record. At most it sold 150-200k on pc and like less than 1k on xbox (maybe). When MH stories came out it was a similar split like 75-25 or 80-20 and it was day 1 on pc.

So I would not be suprise if the sequel to octopath is exclusive heck even DQ 3. Since Asanos games thus far have been switch first.

So I would not be suprise if the sequel to octopath is exclusive heck even DQ 3. Since Asanos games thus far have been switch first.
DQ has adopted a multiplatform only policy since DQIX/X it seems, I would expect DQ3 to be Switch/PS4 day 1 and also PC if it releases day 1 WW. Other than that all Asano games will be exclusive to the Switch day 1 at least.

I didnt even know this existed! But it makes me glad it does. My hopes is that they report how much Dread sold in... idk 2024?
From CESA (not Nintendo) we should get Metroid Dread numbers in 2023.Nintendo official numbers directly depends on what Nintendo wants to show in their financial reports we could get them next week or never.

I didnt even know this existed! But it makes me glad it does. My hopes is that they report how much Dread sold in... idk 2024?
From CESA (not Nintendo) we should get Metroid Dread numbers in 2023.Nintendo official numbers directly depends on what Nintendo wants to show in their financial reports we could get them next week or never.
We’re going to get the newest numbers for Dread (up to March 31st 2022) next week when the end of FY results are released. Nintendo share updated numbers for any game that sells at least 1m within that period.

After that, we probably will need to rely on the yearly white papers for updates, can’t see Dread being able to sell 1m in a year again after launch.

It's so odd in that New Leaf did 12M, and that was a high, and the last time it wa on home console, it only did 4M.

Obviously, Nintendo built the series nicely over the years, but to go back two generations and see one of its flagship IPs do only 4M on 101M base before doing ~40M on 104M base just two entries later is wild.

And it's not like the extra Animal Crossing games (HHD, Amiibo Festival) did the sort of numbers that indicated that people were clamoring for more Animal Crossing like that, either!

I know that Isabelle is a super-popular character in Japan, and I think there's a movie and maybe an anime of the series there? And I know about the KK Slider opening for the Inklings in a virtual concert stuff, so I can get there with the increase in Japanese sales, but this blowing up in all other regions like this had absolutely ZERO signs of happening before it did. I can't think of another long-running series where a late entry did something like this.
HHD actually did very well along with the Amiibo cards. Where it hurt originally was Amiibo Festival & the first rollout of AC Amiibo (producing way too many).

I think between NL & NH there was a pent up demand that both PC & HHD was building up to. That and Animal Crossing type games becoming way more popular & noticeable over the years. You put that together with a more popular console, great software sales, the pandemic, reaching out to other demographics, & just the games quality makes it so that you can feasibly see how they reached those numbers.

If Tropical Freeze manages to hit 4-5M on Switch alone it'd be wonderful. Combined it's already 5M which is awesome.

Hope we get a new 2D DK sometime.
These numbers are only until December 2020, so they are missing the entirety of 2021. Tropical Freeze on Switch alone should be at over 4 million by now specially considering that it was the best selling switch game of all the updated games in the OP outselling Kirby and Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom