• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Blaze Evercade |ST| We be playing Mappy Kids in 2021

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him
06u3LSsbWxtpDTkDy1siTaa-12.1590073251.fit_scale.size_1028x578.jpg

(Photo from PCMag article reviewing the Evercade. Will substitute for a different photo if this one is an issue)

Ah yes, the Evercade, the 2nd hottest handheld existing today (or third if we're counting the PlayStation Vita which Sony doesn't). As of October 2021, this handheld device has 20 carts available. The most advanced console this handheld has emulated is the PS1 and the most advanced handheld emulated is the GBA. On its carts are a number of NES and SNES games as well as some Sega Genesis games (various carts have also supported the Atari 2600, the 7800, the Lynx). For Genesis/Mega Drive games, it uses a custom version of BlastEm, which is considered a top notch Genesis emulator.

I definitely have used this to relive playing a few classic NES games like River City Ransom (which is also available on the Switch via NSO and the Kunio-kun & Double Dragon collection) and discover games that I never played on NES or SNES. It even has a brand new Mappy Kids localization on the Namco Museum Collection 1 (and playing NES Galaga on the go is fun). It's fun seeing what NSO stalwarts City Connection, Piko Interactive and Data East have not yet put on NSO. I'm definitely excited for the announced Renovation Collection that includes the Genesis versions of Valis and Valis III. (Valis IV for SNES is available on NSO, check it out).

Anyway, let's discuss the Evercade and have fun replaying games we love or discovering new retro games for the first time.

I still can't believe this is the only time Ninja Golf has been re-released in any form.
29222-ninja-golf-atari-7800-front-cover.jpg

Look at that box art! How is this not on more platforms?
It's also on that wierd Plex Arcade service, but i'm pretty sure those aren't stored locally.

I still can't believe this is the only time Ninja Golf has been re-released in any form.
29222-ninja-golf-atari-7800-front-cover.jpg

Look at that box art! How is this not on more platforms?
It's also on that wierd Plex Arcade service, but i'm pretty sure those aren't stored locally.
That's a fun game too. Definitely a unique 8-bit sports game that combines golf and a beat-em-up. It should be on other platforms but somehow I just don't see an Atari 7800 Collection on Switch even though it would make some games a lot more accessible.

Watched the beginning of an hour long video reviewing every game on the Codemasters Collection cart. That and the Mega Cat Studios Collection 2 were the latest releases for the Evercade. December will have two console collection releases (Bitmap Brothers; Intellivision Collection 1) and four arcade collections (Atari, Data East, Technos, Gaelco) and they will announce a new cart in mid-December

I'm currently playing through the Atari Lynx Collection 1 and it's been very mixed for me with a few good games and games I'd never want to play again. I definitely do appreciate what some of these early 1990s tried to do. Some worked, some just didn't.

Renovation Collection will be releasing March 31, 2022. A bunch of Genesis classics there.

Also Namco Museum Collection carts will stop production on June 2022 while the Technos Collection and Oliver Twins Collection stop production in March 2022. Oliver Twins Collection is really good, has the Dizzy games that were released in the 1990s for consoles and the unreleased until recently for NES ones.

Gremlin Collection announced for March 2022

6 games.
Actua Soccer (PS1)
Brain Bender (Game Boy)
Hardcore 4x4 (PS1)
Premier Manager '97 (Mega Drive)
Utopia The Creation of a Nation (SNES)
Zool (Genesis? SNES?)

EDIT: it looks like we're getting the Genesis version on the Evercade

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom