• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Big Final Fantasy XVI Interview From Game Informer (Eikon Wrestling Match!). Update: Multiple Media Interviews Dropped. So Much Info!

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
It’s been pretty quiet for FFXVI news outside of the two trailers, but Game Informer just had a big interview with FFXVI’s producer, Naoki Yoshida, that has lots of actual information here. Highlights include every Eikon fight is 1v1 with different mechanics (3D Shooter, wresting match etc.), you build Clive’s movesets/abilities outside of battle and then swap between Eikon abilities on the fly, it’s a full action game thanks to Ryota Suzuki (The DMC and Dragon’s Dogma guy), and the third trailer will be in the Fall.

There’s a lot of insight into the decisions made for the game and it even goes into detail about why the UI was the way it was for the second trailer which I remember seeing a lot speculation and criticism over. Lots to discuss here. I felt this was too big for just the RPG thread or the FFXVI thread, so I made this thread.

Edit: Sounds like a handful of interviews happened tonight across games media and on the official site. I’ll share any interesting ones I see.

Here’s the official site’s one: not terribly interesting.

Edit 2 IGN learned it’s not open world. Yoshida says FFXVI offers “independent area based game design“ which IGN describes as like “Pokemon Legends Arceus”

Edit 3: Separate IGN article. There are typically party members with you who you trade dialogue with and fight battles alongside, but you just control Clive.

Edit 4: You transform into Eikons, not summon them, from the main FFXVI twitter. Anyway that seems like everything. So much new info tonight!

Edit 5: Spoke to soon as Gamespot had a cool interview too! This and Game Informer’s are the two must reads imo. Most interesting stuff here, you play at three different times in Clive’s life, his teens, his 20’s, and his 30’s. They wanted to go for an M rating this time to explore more adult themes, not necessarily for more violence and nudity. Also no tertiary material for this game, everything is contained in the game this time and there’s a comprehensive data log if you want more lore.

Last edited:
Transforming into Eikons? That’s some cool stuff
You know it reminds me how the older ps1 games had lots of mini games and newer ones not so much. With each one having its own mini game I wonder if it's just bringing them back but creating a narrative reason for them to exist since they want a serious game a goofy mini game character would be totally dissonant

The protag name is Clive...? It's not Jack level "Western oriented" but still =P .

Eikons having different gameplay mechanics sounds interesting though, maybe the game is more playful than initial trailers let on?

RIP to all those who thought it was open world based on what they’ve shown. If it was open world, we would’ve known off the bat.

I am rather excited for the game, lots of promising stuff from those interviews but at the same time I won't get a ps5 for just one game.
It is going to be kind of weird how the biggest jrpg serie is going to be "stuck" on a platform mostly irrelevant for people like me who plays 99,9% of Japanese games. I hope ps5 can achieve what the ps4 achieved, getting some decent support from japanese developers in a few years.

Very excited for this, I love XIV and all of the expansions so I am looking forward to this. Just a shame it's a PS5 exclusive, I would prefer to play it on PC.

The screenshots in the IGN coverage look a bit more colorful (read: green) than the last trailer so that gives me a lot of hope for this. I'm more than ok with the lack of a "proper" open world. You can still have the feel of a big world in games without needing things to be seamless and fully interconnected.

And the Eikon battles having unique mechanics sounds like they're delivering on something XIII/XV were trying with the Eidolon and Astral battles but were limited due to design/time constraints

Adding another one to the pile:

I fully expect them to go hard on appealing to the Game of Thrones crowd with the mass marketing in the US when the time comes

Last edited:
Neat, hope there is a Punch-Out Eikon fight.

Besides Deltarune, I don't remember the last time I had pure excitement and hype for an RPG, is usually fear or cautious optimism, really hope it delivers, definitely has all the right key people at the helm to be amazing. Man, wish it wasn't a timed exclusive.

It being open Zoned makes sense, given Forespoken and presumably Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth will be more open world

Back
Top Bottom