• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Better late than never - your dream localisations

SOMA-001.jpg

....I somehow forgot to bring up Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2. This is the real lost treasure for me.

kenji2-title.jpg

It released on the DS in Japan only the same month as the 3ds. It used 3D pixel models that squeezed every drop of performance you could out of the original DS, which makes a port not so simple.

Destined to be left in the past, I suppose.

Tokimeki Memorial. If I was granted the power to magically localize one game, it would be this one. Especially since a fan translation is never happening.

Tokimemo.jpg

i heard this suikoden game is good and i wanted to try, but its only available in japanese and there's only a google translation fanpatch available
Genso_Suikoden_Tsumugareshi_Hyakunen_no_Toki_JPN_PSP-Coverart.jpg

i heard this suikoden game is good and i wanted to try, but its only available in japanese and there's only a google translation fanpatch available
Genso_Suikoden_Tsumugareshi_Hyakunen_no_Toki_JPN_PSP-Coverart.jpg
That’s not true anymore, a full high quality fan translation for Suikoden PSP released this week

Machi_cover.jpg

VN similar to 428 Shibuya Scramble, set in the same fictional universe.

It's a cult classic in Japan, but i truly believe this one has zero chances of ever being localized.

Terranigma is another one that PAL did actually get, so it officially exists in languages other than Japanese, but it never reached America. So odd.
Something tells me I need to make a fan translation resource thread 😆
I was thinking this reading through all the posts in here! My intention was to focus on official releases - many of my dream localisations are things I’ve played but still want to see brought over and published on current hardware in an official capacity - but we do have to be realistic, and the work of fan translators is genuinely incredible and played a big part in developing my tastes and getting me more interested in Japanese games as a teenager.

K%C5%8Dkid%C5%8D_Gens%C5%8D_Gunparade_March.jpg

Gunparade March.

In the past 6-7 years, I feel like every undiscovered gem has been uncovered and translated (Visual Novels like Steins Gate etc have become almost mainstream due to steam).

GunParade March is one of the few games that JP Game academics rave about, but has yet to be localized or even seemingly noticed at all by non-JP audiences.

Gameplay is an adventure very similar to modern Persona style school-parts (You develop friendships etc. through choices made in the school parts) interspersed with robot battles on a tactical map.
sc8l2q.jpg

I forgot America never got it.

SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny & SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light (Racjin/Square Enix, 2009/10, NDS)

OLi4US6.png

Speaking of! SaGa 2 and 3 for the DS were remakes of what some of us know as Final Fantasy Legend II & III, recently re-released in Collection of SaGa. Mainly I want these localised because it would make playing through those games easier thanks to QoL upgrades and because I feel a strange nostalgia for DS era chibi art direction. But I also want these localised because I want every SaGa game re-released, even if other versions have already been re-released. I will not stop until the entire world has become exhausted by Kawazu and his legacy. All shall look upon his non-traditional character progression and spark despair.
On that note, why not add the Wonderswan remake of SaGa to that list as well? I'm really curious WHY Square Enix went with the original GB version and not the newer ones.

Thorough, and very in line with my tastes! I feel your pain with the ‘Europe got left out’ list, them releasing only the second Xenosaga game was clown behaviour and I’ve long wanted the PS2 Romancing SaGa (I have hope for this happening in the next few years) and Radiata Stories.
(Bandai) Namco did some weird stuff in late 6th gen in Europe. The only Tales game we got "exclusively" was the Eternia remake (btw. my mistake, I mentioned "Tales of Destiny 2" and I briefly forgot the actual ToD 2 never came out in the US either, so add that to the generally desired localizations list) and that was due to SCEA's policies of PSP remakes needing some arbitrary amount of new content or else they'll be denied release. After Symphonia no new Tales title was released until 2009 with Vesperia and Symphonia 2 and I think these were also the result of Nintendo and Microsoft helping out (seeing how they were localized as EFIGS). For SOME reason Bamco also never bothered with .hack//G.U. (the only G.U. related media I had at the time was the manga "G.U.+", so no Roots either) and idk why they never went ahead with Baten Kaitos Origins. Romancing SaGa and Radiata Stories was just "leftovers" from the SNES/PSX era, where a lot of JRPG didn't get localized for Europe, even from big names like Sony and Squaresoft (add Chrono Cross to the 'Europe got left out' list too as well as Dawn of Mana).

Oh, these came to mind as well:

Gagharv_windows-xp_multipack.jpg

The Legend of Heroes III, IV and V (Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch, A Tear of Vermilion and Song of the Ocean)

OK, so as a heads-up, these games have actually been released outside of Japan, but from what I've gathered these three - collectively referred to as the 'Ghagarv Trilogy' - really weren't up to snuff in terms of translation, so much so that efforts went underway to make an attempt to re-translate them from scratch. If you know your Falcom games, you know this can be a monumental effort and IIRC the re-translation isn't out yet, but I'd like to see these games re-translated and re-released. If anything, this is another entry on the 'Europe got left out' list.

Oh, the Legend of Heroes stuff is a big reason I’ve yet to delve into the franchise - I’m too much of a completionist and worry I’m missing out so need to sit down and really take stock of what’s available and what the best versions are of everything. Even Trails in the Sky has uneven distribution here if you’re not playing on PC, at least one game in the trilogy got delisted from PSN I think.

It’s very much a “put it on the back burner” series for me in the hope that when I get around to it I’ll have the means to play as much of it as possible with the best translations and iterations of each entry.

Oh, the Legend of Heroes stuff is a big reason I’ve yet to delve into the franchise - I’m too much of a completionist and worry I’m missing out so need to sit down and really take stock of what’s available and what the best versions are of everything. Even Trails in the Sky has uneven distribution here if you’re not playing on PC, at least one game in the trilogy got delisted from PSN I think.

It’s very much a “put it on the back burner” series for me in the hope that when I get around to it I’ll have the means to play as much of it as possible with the best translations and iterations of each entry.
The good thing about the Ghagarv Trilogy is that it's its own separate entity from the Trails games. But yeah, the fact that soon Sky (and I think Cold Steel I & II) will be the only Trails games not on Switch (and/or PS) will make anyone who doesn't play on PC have a hard time getting the full experience.

As in japanese only games that have a chance to get officially transalted and re-released?
I'd say Mother 3 (IMO we'll get a remake down the road), Live-A-Live and maybe if we are super lucky Giftpia.

As for fan translation there are a batload of RPG on japanese computers and PC Engine that are still untranslated.
My main wishes would be

Illusion City (PC98, FM-Towns, MSX Turbo, Mega CD) - Cyberpunk RPG set inan dystopian Hong Kong, there is an english translation for the MSX2 Turbo version but it's incomplete.

Seiya Monogatari: AnEarth Fantasy Stories (PC Engine, Saturn) - Last game published bu Hudson Soft on PCE and one of the better RPG on the platform.

Tokyo Twilight Busters (PC98) - Adventure game with real time events.

There are others like Tengai Makyo 2 (PC Engine) and Tengai Makyo 4th Apocalypse (Saturn), the Gambare Goemon game on DS but the above are lesser known and less likely to be cited.

Yes please. I'm glad that Xenoblade didn't keep the hack n slash combat but this is basically the direct predecessor to the series.

Although released in Europe so there is an English version, there was no North American release of Another Code R.

Trace Memory was one of my favourite DS games and never receiving the sequel on Wii has bothered me to this day.
Same! I really wanted to get it but NoA was being dumb at the time. The same thing happened to the sequel to Hotel Dusk as well.

2437875-lastwindowcover.jpg

And now Cing is gone. Although I do believe Rika Suzuki still writes stories so maybe one day she can return to these.

Last year
Hot damn, I honestly haven't looked in like three years for any fan translations of the above games; I'd long since resigned myself that those ships have sailed. I'll check it out, thank you!

Yes please. I'm glad that Xenoblade didn't keep the hack n slash combat but this is basically the direct predecessor to the series.

Same! I really wanted to get it but NoA was being dumb at the time. The same thing happened to the sequel to Hotel Dusk as well.

2437875-lastwindowcover.jpg

And now Cing is gone. Although I do believe Rika Suzuki still writes stories so maybe one day she can return to these.
I remember I paid like $70 for an imported version of this game at FanExpo, and as ass-backwards NoA was with localisation at the time, I was fortunate that NCL was ass-backwards enough to allow the DS to be a region-free console. Honestly I need to go back and replay both those games some time.

I never knew what happened to Suzuki after Cing went under, but I hope she's doing well for herself somewhere and can go back to writing intense drama stories for Nintendo VNs

Rudra no Hihou (Super Famicom, SquareEnix)
While the game was translated in English and even French thanks to the amazing work of talented RomHackers, I wish it could get an official translation AND a re-release. It is a fantastic JRPG.

Gunparade March.

In the past 6-7 years, I feel like every undiscovered gem has been uncovered and translated (Visual Novels like Steins Gate etc have become almost mainstream due to steam).

GunParade March is one of the few games that JP Game academics rave about, but has yet to be localized or even seemingly noticed at all by non-JP audiences.

Gameplay is an adventure very similar to modern Persona style school-parts (You develop friendships etc. through choices made in the school parts) interspersed with robot battles on a tactical map.
sc8l2q.jpg
Legitimately never heard of this but it sounds awesome. Wonder if it inspired 13 Sentinels at all?

Net High. I remember seeing the opening and reading the premise of it and thought it looked neat and that I really liked the style but it never ended up coming over and it probably never will. Shame.

Right now, my most wanted localization is a recent game: Buddy Mission Bond for Switch.

If I have to choose something older though, I'd love to see Famicom Wars get an English localization the same way that the first Fire Emblem did!
I'm playing through the korean version and the game has so much style and great characters - it's very much like reading a good shounen manga! I love the plot and the character interactions, one of my favs this year and it has tons of content too. I incidentally got the copy right before my oled switch was picked up and the drawn artstyle really pops with the screen! I can try and get some screenshots from my switch but it's actually under repair right now because I had to send it over to ninty. I may go and make an appreciation thread after I finish it when I get my oled back :>

As for localization hopes, it might be possible - only thing is that it has a lot of lines and a good amount of play on words. But all the background locales I've seen has English on it (presumably the game also takes place in a more westernized setting) so they wouldn't need to change any of the art for localization. Also Nintendo themselves published the game in Korea and they had some influence over the game development as well, as far as I know. If they think the audience is there, I can see it come over but it did pretty bad sales wise in Japan so I can't really say one way or another. But I really hope it does, it's one of the best presentation and artstyle that I've seen in a visual novel (and I've played a lot of them!) and should see broader audience for sure!

Gunparade March.

sc8l2q.jpg
really interesting game, the combat looked a little confusing to me but it looks like a great hidden gem

I'm hoping we get L.O.L. Lack of Love and GiFTPiA through Onion now that we got moon.

The Samurai Shodown RPG is one that I'd really like to try some day.

I'm playing through the korean version and the game has so much style and great characters - it's very much like reading a good shounen manga! I love the plot and the character interactions, one of my favs this year and it has tons of content too. I incidentally got the copy right before my oled switch was picked up and the drawn artstyle really pops with the screen! I can try and get some screenshots from my switch but it's actually under repair right now because I had to send it over to ninty. I may go and make an appreciation thread after I finish it when I get my oled back :>

As for localization hopes, it might be possible - only thing is that it has a lot of lines and a good amount of play on words. But all the background locales I've seen has English on it (presumably the game also takes place in a more westernized setting) so they wouldn't need to change any of the art for localization. Also Nintendo themselves published the game in Korea and they had some influence over the game development as well, as far as I know. If they think the audience is there, I can see it come over but it did pretty bad sales wise in Japan so I can't really say one way or another. But I really hope it does, it's one of the best presentation and artstyle that I've seen in a visual novel (and I've played a lot of them!) and should see broader audience for sure!

From what I understand, those sales are in line with other Ruby Party otome games, and I remember reading that KT at least was satisfied with them. I think there's still a good chance it could happen, either through Nintendo themselves or a third party licensing through Nintendo. I'm glad to hear that it's really good!

I'm hoping we get L.O.L. Lack of Love and GiFTPiA through Onion now that we got moon.

L.O.L and Giftpia would be so good! Moon was one of my dream localizations, and I'd love to see Onion Games go back and do more of the Love-de-Lic related stuff.

Live-A-Live and FE Genealogy are both up there. DQX at the highest but that is an emphasis on dream at this point, I adore the JP ver even with my limited reading ability. I hope the west gets the offline version though.

F-Zero X with the 64DD expansion.

Please.

Just dump it untranslated on NSO, i don't care at this point.

Live-A-Live and FE Genealogy are both up there. DQX at the highest but that is an emphasis on dream at this point, I adore the JP ver even with my limited reading ability. I hope the west gets the offline version though.
Love to see another DQX player

Shining Force 3 Scenario 1-3 and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 would be my top picks. These are best in genre games that many have not had a chance to play.

For one that doesn't even have a fan translation I'd be interested to see Riglord Saga 2, as 1 (localised in the west as both Mystaria: The Realms of Lore & Blazing Heroes) was a fond favourite of mine back in the day, and I'm curious if the sequel improved on it.

To see the light of the finished and official Super Mario RPG German translation, hust for the sake of it

Beyond_The_Labyrinth_Box.png

Beyond the Labyrinth, real oddball early 3ds dungeon crawler and one of Motoi Sakuraba's more interesting soundtracks.
But alas it is just a dream...

And in a similar vein from a generation earlier...
Sigma_Harmonics.jpg

Sigma Harmonics.

One series we really missed out on in the west is Summon Knight, which is mostly associated with PlayStation platforms but also had some Nintendo platform releases, such as the spinoff series Swordcraft Story on GBA and Twin Age on DS which were localized. However, the first four mainline games were never localized on PS1, PS2, DS or PSP. We did get 5 and 6, which are fun SRPGs, but 6 in particular is a crossover game featuring all the main characters from the various games, most of whom western players would have no experience with.
sn-9.png

sn4-7.jpg

sn3-8.jpg

sn4-3.jpg

Unfortunately none of these games have fan translations either (except Swordcraft Story 3), so they are pretty inaccessible to western players. Maybe someday!

Funny you mention it, I only heard about it recently and would love to see that translated. It looks awesome.

So many great shouts being posted. @Celine, Illusion City has some rad music and nice character portraits, and I love the art style for Tokyo Twilight Busters! Hadn't heard of either so now I'm very intrigued.
Beyond_The_Labyrinth_Box.png

Beyond the Labyrinth, real oddball early 3ds dungeon crawler and one of Motoi Sakuraba's more interesting soundtracks.
But alas it is just a dream...

And in a similar vein from a generation earlier...
Sigma_Harmonics.jpg

Sigma Harmonics.
I've always wanted both of these, yeah. Sigma Harmonics has an amazing soundtrack!
We did get 5 and 6, which are fun SRPGs, but 6 in particular is a crossover game featuring all the main characters from the various games, most of whom western players would have no experience with.
Yeah, this was sort of another Xenosaga moment for me (though to a much lesser extent since that was, I think, a more serialised story we only got the middle of). I would have picked up Summon Night 6 but it was a lot to spend on an entry in a long-running franchise we didn’t get most of.

Back
Top Bottom