• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Better late than never - your dream localisations

Ramune

they call me carpet
Pronouns
he/they
After a couple of brief digressions elsewhere on the board about games not making it to certain regions, I decided why not ask a question that leans heavily into my covetous nature. What are some games you've been eager to see officially localised over the years but which have yet to receive the treatment? Recently we've seen The Great Ace Attorney, Moon, Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light and more finally reach international audiences, so never say never! Your favourite obscure game from the darkest recesses of generations past could still have its moment in the sun.

I have quite a few wants but the first ones that come to mind are...

Live-A-Live (Square, 1994, SFC)

MXrKuMz.jpg

Live-A-Live is something I've wanted to get an official release outside of Japan for quite some time now, though it recently garnered a little more discussion after the release of Octopath as it similarly features several protagonists with their own scenarios to clear (with additional scenarios that tie everything together at the end). It has a grid-based battle system where you can add terrain effects to squares, it has a nice strange '90s JRPG cast, and it's of interest as an early work in both director Takashi Tokita and composer Yoko Shimomura's careers.

It has a notable fan translation by Aeon Genesis (they took the initiative to use unique fonts for each scenario to add to the distinctiveness of each story). I think it would be Perfect For Switch, however, as well as...well, all modern platforms. There's hope, as Tokita has expressed interest in it and it appears Square Enix recognise the dedicated, if niche community of golden age fans who will buy up any old ports and late localisations (hello, fellow SaGa loyalists).

SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny & SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light (Racjin/Square Enix, 2009/10, NDS)

OLi4US6.png

Speaking of! SaGa 2 and 3 for the DS were remakes of what some of us know as Final Fantasy Legend II & III, recently re-released in Collection of SaGa. Mainly I want these localised because it would make playing through those games easier thanks to QoL upgrades and because I feel a strange nostalgia for DS era chibi art direction. But I also want these localised because I want every SaGa game re-released, even if other versions have already been re-released. I will not stop until the entire world has become exhausted by Kawazu and his legacy. All shall look upon his non-traditional character progression and spark despair.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Intelligent Systems/Nintendo, 1996, SFC)

GpT1qE1.png

This one even has portrait cover art. Perfect for Switch! There's been rumblings of this game and its sequel getting the Echoes treatment with enhanced remakes in the Three Houses engine, though I'd be just as happy if it got treated like FE1 with a late localisation of the original game with some added QoL features like save states and rewind. Plus, this would introduce the rest of the world to even more anime sword fighters, so there would be no shortage of candidates for joining the next Smash roster.

Giftpia (Skip Ltd., 2003, GCN)

XBOOuwe.png

Who doesn't love a quirky game? I was mildly obsessed with Giftpia in the early '00s, scouring magazines for any mention of it, gawking at screenshots, and eagerly awaiting confirmation of a PAL release. Alas, it never came. Giftpia is an adventure game / life sim where the player tries to raise funds for their coming of age ceremony through odd jobs and NPC interactions. NPCs have schedules, you can trigger events, and you don't want to be out long enough that you run out of energy and fall asleep. Sounds familiar, right? Now that I've been able to play Moon, Giftpia gives me the same vibe, and that makes sense since Skip Ltd grew out of Love-de-Lic. In some ways, I think it represents an ideal of early '00s gaming for me - bright, odd, novel, "too crazy for the west" - and perhaps it would be a letdown to finally experience it. But I would be on it in a flash if it did get some sort of miracle re-release.

Over to you lot - what are the games you'd most like to see miraculously localised? Do your worst, make me want to play even more games I can't easily play.

(This is my first time making a thread in years and years, I hope it doesn't look an absolute mess...)

extroopers.gif

EX Troopers. Still sad we never got either of the two versions of the game in the West. I know why it didn't happen, doesn't make it any less frustrating.

extroopers.gif

EX Troopers. Still sad we never got either of the two versions of the game in the West. I know why it didn't happen, doesn't make it any less frustrating.
Same, this and Legends 3 are real sour points for me on the 3DS.

SMT1 got an official localization on iOS, but that's no longer available. Would like to see the first two SMT games rereleased with official localizations.

TOKIMEKI MEMORIAL: FOREVER WITH YOU

Why? Great question! Here’s SIX HOURS telling you why.

extroopers.gif

I understand that there's a multitude of technical reasons we'll never get an English version of EX Troopers. I've made peace with it. But it's still the one game that comes to mind.

I'd love to see either Mystery of the Emblem (SFC) or New Mystery of the Emblem (DS) get localized. Fire Emblem Gaiden for FC getting localized would be nice too.

For non-Nintendo titles, Ys V needs a localization. And I would love to see Valis 1 for the PC Engine localized.

Mother 3 even if a meme yes theres a fan translation i know. But after the popularity of earthbound like indie games it's perfect.

Wow you stole two of my answers with Live-A-Live and Giftpia, I was obsessed with looking up stuff about both those games.

As for me, I know that several of them were recently fan-translated, but I'd pay top dollar for official localizations of the Ganbare Goemon games that never saw the light of day outside Japan.

Also the other Chibi-Robo DS game that was a direct follow-up to the original classic.

Loving everyone's pain and yearning already! I had literally no idea Lost Planet had a spinoff that looked like EX Troopers.

And yes @kimbo99, Seiken Densetsu 3 was one of mine too. I'd already played a fan translation during the height of my Squaresoft stan days but seeing it localised and remade was something else entirely.

After a couple of brief digressions elsewhere on the board about games not making it to certain regions, I decided why not ask a question that leans heavily into my covetous nature. What are some games you've been eager to see officially localised over the years but which have yet to receive the treatment? Recently we've seen The Great Ace Attorney, Moon, Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light and more finally reach international audiences, so never say never! Your favourite obscure game from the darkest recesses of generations past could still have its moment in the sun.

I have quite a few wants but the first ones that come to mind are...

Live-A-Live (Square, 1994, SFC)

MXrKuMz.jpg

Live-A-Live is something I've wanted to get an official release outside of Japan for quite some time now, though it recently garnered a little more discussion after the release of Octopath as it similarly features several protagonists with their own scenarios to clear (with additional scenarios that tie everything together at the end). It has a grid-based battle system where you can add terrain effects to squares, it has a nice strange '90s JRPG cast, and it's of interest as an early work in both director Takashi Tokita and composer Yoko Shimomura's careers.

It has a notable fan translation by Aeon Genesis (they took the initiative to use unique fonts for each scenario to add to the distinctiveness of each story). I think it would be Perfect For Switch, however, as well as...well, all modern platforms. There's hope, as Tokita has expressed interest in it and it appears Square Enix recognise the dedicated, if niche community of golden age fans who will buy up any old ports and late localisations (hello, fellow SaGa loyalists).

SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny & SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light (Racjin/Square Enix, 2009/10, NDS)

OLi4US6.png

Speaking of! SaGa 2 and 3 for the DS were remakes of what some of us know as Final Fantasy Legend II & III, recently re-released in Collection of SaGa. Mainly I want these localised because it would make playing through those games easier thanks to QoL upgrades and because I feel a strange nostalgia for DS era chibi art direction. But I also want these localised because I want every SaGa game re-released, even if other versions have already been re-released. I will not stop until the entire world has become exhausted by Kawazu and his legacy. All shall look upon his non-traditional character progression and spark despair.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Intelligent Systems/Nintendo, 1996, SFC)

GpT1qE1.png

This one even has portrait cover art. Perfect for Switch! There's been rumblings of this game and its sequel getting the Echoes treatment with enhanced remakes in the Three Houses engine, though I'd be just as happy if it got treated like FE1 with a late localisation of the original game with some added QoL features like save states and rewind. Plus, this would introduce the rest of the world to even more anime sword fighters, so there would be no shortage of candidates for joining the next Smash roster.

Giftpia (Skip Ltd., 2003, GCN)

XBOOuwe.png

Who doesn't love a quirky game? I was mildly obsessed with Giftpia in the early '00s, scouring magazines for any mention of it, gawking at screenshots, and eagerly awaiting confirmation of a PAL release. Alas, it never came. Giftpia is an adventure game / life sim where the player tries to raise funds for their coming of age ceremony through odd jobs and NPC interactions. NPCs have schedules, you can trigger events, and you don't want to be out long enough that you run out of energy and fall asleep. Sounds familiar, right? Now that I've been able to play Moon, Giftpia gives me the same vibe, and that makes sense since Skip Ltd grew out of Love-de-Lic. In some ways, I think it represents an ideal of early '00s gaming for me - bright, odd, novel, "too crazy for the west" - and perhaps it would be a letdown to finally experience it. But I would be on it in a flash if it did get some sort of miracle re-release.

Over to you lot - what are the games you'd most like to see miraculously localised? Do your worst, make me want to play even more games I can't easily play.

(This is my first time making a thread in years and years, I hope it doesn't look an absolute mess...)
Most of these have high quality fan translations already, but Giftpia doesn’t and is a good shoutout.

Personally one of my most wanted localizations would be Oreshika on PS1 or PSP, and Princess Crown on Saturn/PSP.

Switch remasters of the 3DS Dragon Quest Monsters titles that finally get English localization, plz.

Most of these have high quality fan translations already, but Giftpia doesn’t and is a good shoutout.

Personally one of my most wanted localizations would be Oreshika on PS1 or PSP, and Princess Crown on Saturn/PSP.
I think I read that there was a Giftpia translation project but I'm not sure where it got to.

Oreshika would be great. Tainted Bloodlines looked really cool and the generational aspect of creating new characters seemed pretty novel - it was one I had wishlisted for the longest time on PSN but never got around to buying.

I could make a list of dozens of games just on (3)DS.

• Ace attorney investigations 2
  • Goemon DS
  • Starfy 4
  • Ouendan 2
  • FE: New Mystery of the Emblem
  • Game Canter CX 2/3
  • Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2
  • 7th Dragon
  • Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest games (3DS/GBA)
That’s just off the top of my head.

I guess lots of these have fan translations, but still want the official product release if we are dreaming here.

Since MOTHER 3 has already been mentioned, here is the second best game to get an official localisation. There is a fan translation, but it's only 95 % finished but no one is still working on it... Captain Rainbow. <3

ZangekiNoReginleiv.jpg

Zangeki no Reginleiv

I thought this was a shoe in after Xenoblade got localized, but it never appeared. I can't even recall if it was a musou style game, but I do recall was that it heavily featured Norse mythology. That alone sold me on the premise, and even if reviews put it at a mediocre 7, it was still the right side of a 5 on a 10 point scale and I would have very much liked to enjoy it

ikenie_no_yoru.jpg

Ikenie no Yoru/Night of the Sacrifice

This was also a curious horror game I recall hearing about, and was fascinated by the art direction of colourful character silhouettes of the protagonists you controlled, juxtaposed against stark, creepy and forboding backgrounds (and supernatural ghosts, of course). To be honest, I think this would have beaten Until Dawn to the punch when it came to deciding the fate of a group of teens and who survived depending on how you played.

880px-Earth_Seeker.jpg

Earth Seeker

Premise of this one was fleeing a post-apocalyptic Earth on a spaceship, crashlands and starts fusing monsters based on the existing DNA of current animals that were brought on board. Part dungeon crawler, part Monster Hunter, plus the artstyle looked very charming.

Captain Rainbow. It's one of those games that I know could never be successful, but it's such a weird and interesting concept that it feels like a massive gap in the first party English Wii library.

Zangeki no Reginleiv is another one I'm curious about, but I guess many just see it as trash, so it's not at the top of my list.

Edit: Of course most get mentioned as I'm typing this up.

For non-Nintendo titles, Ys V needs a localization.
Signed! But I think Falcom's next Ys game may actually be a remake of Kefin, considering it's been close to a decade since the last Ys remake (Memories of Celceta).

My list would likely be (and yes, sorry, there's a boatload of non-Nintendo platform titles in there):
  • Bahamut Lagoon (SNES)
  • Blood of Bahamut (DS)
  • Atelier Salburg, Gramnad and DS sub-series (PSX, PS2 and DS)
  • Sakura Wars I-IV (SAT/DC)
  • Galaxy Fräulein Yuna Trilogy (originally on PCE, SAT and PSX)
  • Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia (NGPC - the only Ogre Game not released outside of Japan!)
  • Growlanser (the first one from PS)
  • Langrisser III-V (SAT)
  • Tales of Innocence (DS/Vita)
  • A.S.H.: Archaic Sealed Heat (DS)
  • Front Mission II and V (PSX and PS2)
  • Shining Force III-2 and III-3 (SAT)
  • Shining Wind, Hearts, Blade and Ark (PS2 and PSP)
  • Beyond the Labyrinth (3DS)
  • Zangeki no Reginleiv (Wii)
  • Captain Rainbow (Wii)

And here's another list with titles Europe never got because Japanese game companies forget we exist:
  • Shining Tears (PS2)
  • Xenosaga Episodes 1 and 3 (PS2)
  • Tales of Destiny, Destiny 2 and Legendia (PSX and PS2)
  • Front Mission I and IV (SNES and PS2)
  • Baten Kaitos 2 (GCN)
  • Xenogears (PS1)
  • Lunar I & II (SAT/PS1)
  • Romancing SaGa (SNES/PS2)
  • Radiata Stories (PS2)

I really want those two games. Especially the first one. I have it on my SNES Mini, it would love an official localization and for it to be optimized, because like Mana 3, the text boxes are in a higher definition so emulated, they look off.

And then of course, Mother 3. That one just goes without saying.

As an aside, how do I upload an image without using Imgur?

I will take this opportunity to gush about Doshin the Giant

A delightfully weird and unsettling God Game where this big yellow guy manipulates the lives and development of little islanders and their culture. It got localized to Europe but not North America.

I played this on Dolphin. It's a pretty simple game without a lot going on mechanically, but the execution left an impact on me and I still think about it.

Signed! But I think Falcom's next Ys game may actually be a remake of Kefin, considering it's been close to a decade since the last Ys remake (Memories of Celceta).

My list would likely be (and yes, sorry, there's a boatload of non-Nintendo platform titles in there):
  • Bahamut Lagoon (SNES)
  • Blood of Bahamut (DS)
  • Atelier Salburg, Gramnad and DS sub-series (PSX, PS2 and DS)
  • Sakura Wars I-IV (SAT/DC)
  • Galaxy Fräulein Yuna Trilogy (originally on PCE, SAT and PSX)
  • Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia (NGPC - the only Ogre Game not released outside of Japan!)
  • Growlanser (the first one from PS)
  • Langrisser III-V (SAT)
  • Tales of Innocence (DS/Vita)
  • A.S.H.: Archaic Sealed Heat (DS)
  • Front Mission II and V (PSX and PS2)
  • Shining Force III-2 and III-3 (SAT)
  • Shining Wind, Hearts, Blade and Ark (PS2 and PSP)
  • Beyond the Labyrinth (3DS)
  • Zangeki no Reginleiv (Wii)
  • Captain Rainbow (Wii)

And here's another list with titles Europe never got because Japanese game companies forget we exist:
  • Shining Tears (PS2)
  • Xenosaga Episodes 1 and 3 (PS2)
  • Tales of Destiny, Destiny 2 and Legendia (PSX and PS2)
  • Front Mission I and IV (SNES and PS2)
  • Baten Kaitos 2 (GCN)
  • Xenogears (PS1)
  • Lunar I & II (SAT/PS1)
  • Romancing SaGa (SNES/PS2)
  • Radiata Stories (PS2)
Thorough, and very in line with my tastes! I feel your pain with the ‘Europe got left out’ list, them releasing only the second Xenosaga game was clown behaviour and I’ve long wanted the PS2 Romancing SaGa (I have hope for this happening in the next few years) and Radiata Stories.

@Brofield those Wii games look awesome! I have to admit I sort of skipped out on gaming a lot during that era so barely played even the stuff we did get here and don’t know much about the games that never made it over. Night of the Sacrifice seems like something that would do well these days - just googling it it looks like it got some attention from YouTubers and streamers and that would likely happen again.
It got localized to Europe but not North America.
I had no idea! How odd. I remember Doshin also showed up as a trophy in Smash, it’s funny/sick how that franchise can be a parade of Nintendo curiosities that never got released in the player’s region.
As an aside, how do I upload an image without using Imgur?
You can use Imgur but avoid the embedding stuff by right clicking the picture you upload and using its direct URL (the one you get if you select “open image in new tab”) instead of the first one Imgur gives you. That’s what I did.

ZangekiNoReginleiv.jpg

Zangeki no Reginleiv

I thought this was a shoe in after Xenoblade got localized, but it never appeared. I can't even recall if it was a musou style game, but I do recall was that it heavily featured Norse mythology. That alone sold me on the premise, and even if reviews put it at a mediocre 7, it was still the right side of a 5 on a 10 point scale and I would have very much liked to enjoy it
I heard that there were intentions to localize it, but after Sin & Punishment 2 underperformed it was shelved. It has a massive script, so I understand it, but it's disappointing all the same. I do know that people who played it, love the game. It was one of the highest rated games on the Wii eShop for quite some time,

@Brofield those Wii games look awesome! I have to admit I sort of skipped out on gaming a lot during that era so barely played even the stuff we did get here and don’t know much about the games that never made it over. Night of the Sacrifice seems like something that would do well these days - just googling it it looks like it got some attention from YouTubers and streamers and that would likely happen again.
I can't even recall where I first learned about all of them, maybe GoNintendo or GameSpot or IGN or something. But yeah, even if they were text heavy I imagine in my case I would have enjoyed them a great deal.

I heard that there were intentions to localize it, but after Sin & Punishment 2 underperformed it was shelved. It has a massive script, so I understand it, but it's disappointing all the same. I do know that people who played it, love the game. It was one of the highest rated games on the Wii eShop for quite some time,
Oof, now that is disappointing (especially when I did my part and picked up S&P2 at launch). I've kept my eye on a few fan translations that were compatible with Dolphin for all three games I mentioned, but none of them ever seemed to reach completion and it's a damn shame because I would like some way to understand them to fully enjoy what I'm playing.

I main Lucas in Smash Bros and would love to play Mother 3. Call up the creator and remove/alter the offensive stuff to make it happen.

Would also super love a Princess Crown localization. We needed a movement to make it happen around 13 Sentinels and it never happened :/ Get it on Switch too.

Other ones I can think of Ace Attorney Investigations 2, Yakuza Ishin and Kenzan, and Valkyria Chronicle 3.

Also someone needs to revive my favorite dead mobile game, Magia Record, and give us Arc 2. We at least got the complete Arc 1. Create a proper offline version so it doesn’t disappear when the servers shut down. (I’d love someone to do a proper console RPG remake of it, but that seems unlikely.)

Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin.

I've played them both using KHHsubs guides and understand why a direct translation won't work, but live in hope that they get the localised Kiwami treatment.

I feel like after Great Ace Attorney, pretty much all of my dream localizations have happened already. I am pretty content now. Though of course I won't say no to something like Mother 3

I am hoping for Theatrhythm All-Stars to come to the Switch. My absolute favorite series on the 3DS. I know they trademarked the name Theatrhythm earlier this year, and with the arcade version going offline, I’m hoping there will be news sooner then later of it coming back over to consoles.
Other localizations I would love to see come over would be Puzzle and Dragons X, which seemed completely different from Puzzle and Dragons Z. And also Monster Strike which was on 3DS. Pretty bummed they never came over.

Last edited:
I would love an official (there's a fan patch) Marvelous: Another Treasure Island English localization.

Right now, my most wanted localization is a recent game: Buddy Mission Bond for Switch.

If I have to choose something older though, I'd love to see Famicom Wars get an English localization the same way that the first Fire Emblem did!

For recent games, I really want to play Buddy Mission Bond, but for older games, Marvelous, the older SNES FE games, and Tomato Adventure are games I've always wanted to try. And of course Mother 3 is always the dream but for a multitude of reasons, it'll never happen. I definitely don't see them wanting to touch the Magypsies in 2021 unless they make some heavy changes.

Dragon Quest X, the only mainline title that hasn't been localized.

The PS2 version of V would also be nice.
The fan translation of PS2 DQ5 is actually quite good, although it wasn't good enough to get me to actually finish a Dragon Quest.

I'm still holding out for Tokimemo, though. We're three years off from the 30th anniversary, and there was that whole "Konami wants to make real video games again" thing a couple weeks ago...

Mother 3 is the really obvious one. Even Nintendo has kind of joked about it in their E3 presentations.

Although released in Europe so there is an English version, there was no North American release of Another Code R.

Trace Memory was one of my favourite DS games and never receiving the sequel on Wii has bothered me to this day.

Jump Ultimate Stars. Maybe a port to Switch updating a bit the roster.

Always read that its one of the best smash clones.
The first game I ever imported. Extremely fun and a hoot for Jump super fans. I imagine the licensing fees would make it impossible, but we are getting the new Super Robot Wars so???

220px-Jump_Super_Stars_Coverart.png

Jump_Ultimate_Stars_boxart.jpg

Rockman_EXE_Operate_Shooting_Star_Cover.jpg

Still salty over the fact we didn't get Operation Shooting Star localized.

Puyo Puyo Fever 2

Puyo_Puyo_Fever_2_Coverart.png

What makes this SEGA Puyo Puyo stand out from the others is that it expanded on the lore for the new character. There are a lot of text in this game's library that has it, and several character moments that it would be a shame that it will never be known. Also, this is the game that established one of the few non-Compile characters that is popular enough to rank among the Compile characters, which is a pretty notable thing.

Thank you for reading.

I think I read that there was a Giftpia translation project but I'm not sure where it got to.

Oreshika would be great. Tainted Bloodlines looked really cool and the generational aspect of creating new characters seemed pretty novel - it was one I had wishlisted for the longest time on PSN but never got around to buying.
Tainted Bloodlines is very good, if you still have a Vita you should buy it now while you can

ZangekiNoReginleiv.jpg

Zangeki no Reginleiv

ikenie_no_yoru.jpg

Ikenie no Yoru/Night of the Sacrifice

This was also a curious horror game I recall hearing about, and was fascinated by the art direction of colourful character silhouettes of the protagonists you controlled, juxtaposed against stark, creepy and forboding backgrounds (and supernatural ghosts, of course). To be honest, I think this would have beaten Until Dawn to the punch when it came to deciding the fate of a group of teens and who survived depending on how you played.

880px-Earth_Seeker.jpg

Earth Seeker

Premise of this one was fleeing a post-apocalyptic Earth on a spaceship, crashlands and starts fusing monsters based on the existing DNA of current animals that were brought on board. Part dungeon crawler, part Monster Hunter, plus the artstyle looked very charming.
Earth Seeker got a fan translation if you’re curious about playing it

Any platform?

Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin.

Talking about recent ones, Dragon Quest X offline. I need that so much, my collection will finally be complete (I have physical copies of all the mainline games, plus both Warriors and Builders.)

Back
Top Bottom