• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Bayonetta 3 | A Love-In With The Coven

I can't quite work out whether the game falls into greatness or a high end honourable mention.

It's definitely more rough around the edges than Bayonetta 2, but at the same time when it does hit, it hits like a freight train with rockets strapped to it. Also, while there's a lot of talk about it being limited by the Switch's hardware, it honestly feels more to me like a game limited by budget, like it's trying to be AAA but has a AA amount of money to work with.
Still, it proves you don't need necessarily need great production values so long as your gameplay is great. When the action hits fever pitch in an glorious ballet of stylish mayhem, I'm having way too much fun to care about graphics.

Complicating matters is my own state of mind; I'm still struggling with benzodiazapine withdrawal and I expect I would be enjoying it more if I wasn't feeling so weird and anxious. It is a nice distraction at least.

Either way, it's a very enjoyable game, and I look forward to seeing where the rest of the journey takes me.

Last edited:
I guess I’m kinda confused at the comments calling Bayo 2 more polished overall.

I guess the performance and visuals are doing most of the heavy lifting in that statement?

Because if anything, 3’s combat is way more polished, well thought out and refined than 2’s.

Is it that 3 has more genre shift setpieces than 2? Is it Viola’s 3 chapters?

I guess I really just find 3 a great balance of 1 and 2. It has deep and well thought out combat like 1, it take’s 1’s genre switches and paces them out way better to be more in line with 2’s pacing.

My opinion of this one is pretty mixed thus far about half way, keep in mind that I consider Bayo 1 a masterclass of the genre, with 2 a bit behind that, but still great (I simply felt the story and 'flavor' of 1 was more my taste), both are still fantastic action games.

This game is.. Hard to quantify, but it's easily the worst in the series so far (I'm up to chapter 7 however, so maybe things keep getting a lot better). The issue with the game is simply that while the combat engine might be fantastic (it is) you rarely ever are actually getting to use it, there is simply far too much bullshit in between and I have no idea why they decided this was the right direction. Let's look back to Bayonetta 1 a moment, the parts people hated most were the QTE's, the motorbike chapter, and the missile riding chapter (sans the fight with Jeanne), but the rest of the game was fantastic, fairly linear action game with style to spare, fun cutscenes, a fun story, and more importantly, consistent and engaging combat.

Bayonetta 3 feels like they took the criticisms of the past games, and decided to double down on them and increase their efforts on those areas 3x over, to the point that being in simple, normal fights feels like a breath of fresh air. I don't think I would see myself replaying this game simply because I'm going to have to run using giant spiders, play stealth levels, do poor platforming scripted sequences, etc, just to get to the meat of the game.

The game is at war with itself, it has that balls to walls crazy Platinum flair which many might prefer, the spectacle and variety stuff is as vast as ever here, but it's at the expense of having a cohesive and coherent action game that can compete with the likes of its prequels, DMC, and titles like Ninja Gaiden. Instead it just feels like a constant roller coaster (literally with ups and drastic downs) of gameplay types mixed with occasionally remembering it's a great action game. I don't even have issues with the Viola stuff yet (albeit, only one level of her so far)

Aside that, the level design is not only atrocious but the actual technical side is a mess, and the level variety seems super limited so far theme wise. The visuals are ugly, the framerate is bad, the scope is unusually large yet offers nothing benefitting to the player, the constant 'doom clouds' everywhere evoke big time Bionic Commando reboot vibes which was blasted over a decade ago for using the same very primitive idea for its open ended design. Exploring the levels is janky, uneven and buggy feeling (you can't tell me using the spider to attempt to climb anything doesn't feel like an unfinished mess), the camera is out of control at times, and all the wasted space and shoddy level design with these giant areas leads to.. Nothing, you gain nothing out of it, just less fighting, more spaced out combat sections, and more jank.

The game feels like how they define Alan Wake of old, where it was once open world but they couldn't make it fun so they streamlined it, but this feels like they kept the open world aspect a bit too much and decided to make it filled with very little to do, and when there is something to do, it's usually not that fun.

Then we have the optional verses, which almost all seem entirely gimmick based rather than fun gauntlets they usually were. I mean yeah, they had some gimmick ones before too, but ALL of them are gimmicks now. No damage unless in witch time, don't touch the floor, you're always being pushed around, the game seems absolutely terrified to just let you fight.

The beast mechanic is pretty fun but still seems to sacrifice tight combat for the sake of spectacle, I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet, but I don't consider it a problem so to speak.. Even the shop kind of sucks now, almost half way through the game I have only bought I think one thing from the shop, it just doesn't offer anything you'd want to actually use or buy.

This sounds really negative, I think this is mostly a fun but uneven game, but it's a very big drop from the action oriented roots the series had, it feels like Platinum just does not know how to sit still and focus on what their best attributes are mechanically, and instead throw in 100 gameplay concepts. I just can't believe anyone would take the 'Godzilla fight' or the bubble blowing segments over raw, action packed normal combat situations. The best games from Platinum are sadly still Bayonetta 1 and Vanquish, and now I'm starting to think it's because they HAD to keep the budget lower and weren't able to delve into all these ridiculous set piece scenarios. They could spend 1/3 the money and create a far better game if they just focused, keeping the crazy stuff to just occasional moments.

Wonderful 101 is a game I find similar, but I appreciated it more because it was a new IP and you had no prior expectations of it, but turning Bayonetta into basically a hodge podge sequel to that while limiting the actual time we can play it normally, is pretty disappointing to me so far. I'd still call this an '8' level game because the spectacle and variety IS enjoyable, but I think anyone entering this to get an action game to master might not be as thrilled as others. Viola is fun, the elevator action like levels are fun, some of the set piece stuff is fun or interesting, it just doesn't allow you to play the game you probably bought it for.

If you want a game that takes you through a variety of crazy set pieces and gameplay styles, this is likely going to suit you wonderfully, but if you bought it to play a serious action game, you might be bummed out, even if you enjoy what it became in its own way. Personally, I'm getting Nuts and Bolts vibes when I wanted Banjo 3, even if I enjoyed the change for what it was, it did not give me what I wanted from that series.

Last edited:
I finished the game yesterday and I love how Platinum embraced the spectacle and craziness to the fullest here. I loved the minigames and the kaiju fights, the gameplay is simply sublime and Jeanne's levels are... Certainly a thing.

The issue with the game is simply that while the combat engine might be fantastic (it is) you rarely ever are actually getting to use it, there is simply far too much bullshit in between and I have no idea why they decided this was the right direction.
Agreed. IMO Bayonetta’s kit is the best it’s ever been, the weapons are wild and the demon slave mechanic is integrated really well (after you unlock more of them, I think Gomorrah is kinda clunky). But the game so rarely lets you have a normal Bayonetta fight - it’s either bosses which are so big you can’t use her normal tools to play with them or a set piece that disregards the normal gameplay. I desperately wish there were more fights with normal enemies.

I get part of the criticism, but I have to admit that I'm loving the pace of the game so far. It's probably just me, not being a pure hardcore fan of action fighting game (Bayonetta 2 to me was better than 1, so that tells you everything you need to know about my point of view on the genre), but I'm loving the time spent with the game so far (despite its flaws) due the rhytyhm of the game (exploration, cutscene, combat, repeat)

Last edited:
Some of y'all are exaggerating about performance lmao. The game works fine apart from some of the Kaiju battles.

Speaking of which, the second Kaiju battle with Queen Butterfly gave me serious Eris from Sinbad vibes

6c01d792746999dc568072c43da04dcd--gallery-frames-dreamworks-animation.jpg

Some of y'all are exaggerating about performance lmao. The game works fine apart from some of the Kaiju battles.

Speaking of which, the second Kaiju battle with Queen Butterfly gave me serious Eris from Sinbad vibes

6c01d792746999dc568072c43da04dcd--gallery-frames-dreamworks-animation.jpg

You not noticing it doesn't mean it's not there. I'm by no means a framerate snob, but the game feels like it's struggling constantly even when nothing is going on, and this is proven already so I'm not sure why you'd bother. This game feels unfinished in this regard.

You not noticing it doesn't mean it's not there. I'm by no means a framerate snob, but the game feels like it's struggling constantly even when nothing is going on, and this is proven already so I'm not sure why you'd bother This game feels unfinished in this regard.
🤨 OK dude

Anyways the
Train weapon
is super fun to use in battles with lots of smaller enemies but I can't really get it to work in boss battles: is it supposed to be like that or is there a good "big single enemy" strat for the weapon?

So…is there any way to see which Witch Hearts and Moon Pearls you’re missing? I completed every verse in every chapter so I got all the ones you can get that way, so I assume the ones I’m missing must be, like, hidden in chests throughout the chapters…but I have literally no idea where to start looking and I really don’t want to have to comb through the entire game again searching aimlessly for them and not even knowing if there are any in the current chapter or not… I’m not even sure how many of each I’m missing—what are the total number of Witch Heart and Moon Pearls upgrades? I assume there has to be exactly enough to be able to max out both Bayonetta/Jeanne and Viola, right? At what number do they max out?

This could very well be my GOTY, beating out both Xeno 3 and Elden Ring.

What a great year its been

It not only feels like the parrying window for Viola is too tight, but the choppy framerate, occasionally rough camera, emphasis on fighting larger enemies, and the hitboxes in general not really feeling accurate to the animations makes for a hard time for me. Sekiro genuinely felt more forgiving than this game does at times. I also hate that dash-forward move that activates by tapping the block button twice in succession; I do it by accident far too many times and I don't see any reason why it couldn't be tied to a different input. It's unfortunate, because I love parrying in games and I loved Sekiro and Metal Gear Rising in particular, but Viola's kit just isn't gelling with me.

These issues, + the bigger emphasis on controlling demons, is kind of making me regret picking this one up. I'm on chapter 8 now and hoping it clicks more with me later.
I just finished the game yesterday and have definitely come around on it somewhat compared to this post! I still think it's very much a mixed bag (as are all the Bayonetta games) but by the end of it I came around to appreciating it more. I also realized that you are meant to hold down the block button for a little bit to parry, not just tap it, and that made getting witch time as Viola a lot easier and more enjoyable. That really could have been made more clear; the game outright tells you that tap = parry, hold = block, when in reality your window for witch time opens up a little bit more by holding the button when you would think to give it a tap.

The camera was a huge pain in the ass throughout the entire game for me, and the emphasis on fighting larger enemies didn't really help in that regard. I think the demon summons would have been more enjoyable if they were just relegated to combo finishers/parries, because they aren't particularly fun to control just on their own in the middle of a fast-paced combo. I'm sure some crazy combo videos will come out and prove me wrong, but this is my perspective as a relatively casual fan of this genre.

I do still wish they'd stop throwing in these kaiju fights and the various pace-breaking minigames. Most of them are not fun. The only one I particularly enjoyed was the Paris mission one. These games have such excellent core combat that it makes the game feel more uneven and less confident when they include things that aren't as fleshed out, in my opinion.

Also, as a smaller note, collecting the Umbra tears is annoying as hell. Chasing these cats sucks. I don't get the point of it, other than to waste time. I eventually stopped going for them altogether because, while finding them was fun during exploration, actually collecting them was a huge pain in the ass for me and I just wanted to get to the good stuff.

But yeah, it was alright! Perhaps a second playthrough eventually with everything unlocked will have me appreciating it even more.

Also, as a smaller note, collecting the Umbra tears is annoying as hell. Chasing these cats sucks. I don't get the point of it, other than to waste time. I eventually stopped going for them altogether because, while finding them was fun during exploration, actually collecting them was a huge pain in the ass for me and I just wanted to get to the good stuff.
You have to collect the cats (also the crows and toads)! Finding all of them in a chapter unlocks an optional challenge for that chapter, with different rewards, even a new weapon & demon! Some of these chapters feature special enemies that can't be found anywhere else in the game.
Usually cats feature some environmental puzzle that will make them stop running away, or you can just cut corners while chasing them (or just zoom towards them with the RR dash).

I wish the game had a bloody palace equivalent, witch trials don't quite hit the same. Replaying the game here and there made me realize there's staggeringly little combat against normal enemies.

Bayonetta 3 feels like they took the criticisms of the past games, and decided to double down on them and increase their efforts on those areas 3x over, to the point that being in simple, normal fights feels like a breath of fresh air. I don't think I would see myself replaying this game simply because I'm going to have to run using giant spiders, play stealth levels, do poor platforming scripted sequences, etc, just to get to the meat of the game.
This is very interesting and I don't think I can disagree. But the combat and variety within it is SUCH a high point that I think it eclipsed this for me on my first playthrough. But yeah, going through it again I didn't realize how much I didn't really care for the Jeanne levels outside of the novelty of them being there in the first place.

You have to collect the cats (also the crows and toads)! Finding all of them in a chapter unlocks an optional challenge for that chapter, with different rewards, even a new weapon & demon! Some of these chapters feature special enemies that can't be found anywhere else in the game.
Usually cats feature some environmental puzzle that will make them stop running away, or you can just cut corners while chasing them (or just zoom towards them with the RR dash).
Hmmm... Do you need to collect these AND beat the level, or can I jump into a level, grab them, and then quit back to the map menu without finishing it? I did unlock a few of the secret levels but haven't played them yet.

Hmmm... Do you need to collect these AND beat the level, or can I jump into a level, grab them, and then quit back to the map menu without finishing it? I did unlock a few of the secret levels but haven't played them yet.
I think you can jump out right after you capture the familiar, no need to beat the level.

It throws a lot of crazy at you and some may like that more than others but ultimately it has the best combat out of any Bayonetta bar none, and I have no complaints about the graphics or performance. It's not surprising though because haters are always clutching at barn straws.

Fantastic game.

One thing I just love about this game is how breathlessly imaginative and packed with ideas it is.

It feels like they squeezed just about everything they could think of into it, and while the result is an incoherent mess, the sheer confidence of Platinum's delivery somehow makes the chaos a thing of unfettered joy, like a conceptual kaleidoscope.

Inevitably for a game that tries so much, not everything is executed perfectly, but for me Bayo 3 is a prime example of a game that is more than the sum of its parts.

Finished Chapter 6. I really don't know what to say. This game keeps leveling up. Mannnn Switch is probably the best investment i had in a long time.

Just finished the old storybook chapter and they must be very confident in a Bayonetta 4 between the ending of the main game and the To Be Continued here as well.

Also this game is so damn good.

ultimately it has the best combat out of any Bayonetta bar none
I agree that Bayonetta has the best kit she's ever had, but the encounter design for much of the game leaves a lot to be desired. The joy of Bayonetta is being able to toy with normal size enemies, juggling them, sending them ever higher on the screen, and still face down the big ones, but this game gives you barely any normal size ones to play with. The squid fight in the opening for example, is that really going to be anyone's favourite Bayonetta fight?

So Chapter 7 I decide to do a little bit of backtracking since I saw a small opening, lo and behold
there's an entire hidden temple, angels fight and extra verse all there.
I love the extra exploration in this one!

I have many questions from the end, many many, BUT MANY, although at the moment I am going with 2 that are the ones that cause me the most doubts.
I hope I can explain myself well since my language is not English.

1. In the end, how is Manhattan rebuilt?

2. There are 2 ways to understand who the Bayonetta we control is.

A. She is Cerecita (the kid girl from Bayonetta 1), and also, in last chapter, when Bayonetta from Bayonetta 1 arrives she speaks to her in the same way she spoke to the kid girl, in fact throughout the game you can see that the personality of this Bayonetta from Bayonetta 3 is a little nicer than Bayonetta was in 1 and 2, and in fact you can see the contrast of cockiness when Bayonetta from 1 and 2 arrive.

But in case the theory is that she's the kid girl from Bayonetta 1 (it would make sense because of her personality that differs a bit from the already known Bayonetta and because of how Bayonetta from Bayonetta 1 greets her), then the Bayonetta that arrives from Bayonetta 1 and the Bayonetta from Bayonetta 2 are different Bayonettas from each other? Easier, Bayonetta 1 and 2 were never the same Bayonetta? They were different Bayonettas all along? The character descriptions seem to imply that most Bayonettas from other "multiverses" follow a very very very very similar path and a very similar life. Because if they were the same Bayonetta, why do the 2 appear as if they were different?

Or

B. The other way to understand who is the Bayonetta we control is to think that she is the Bayonetta of all her life, (although her personality is a bit different she could have calmed down over the years, although the way Bayonetta with Bayo 1's skin in the last chapter greets her wouldn't make much sense then). In case this is the right option then there would be no problem with the two Bayonettas from Bayo 1 and 2 appearing, since our Bayonetta is still the Bayonetta from previous games and the two that appear in the last chapter would be Bayonettas from other universes (with the same design that our Bayonetta had in previous games). Then it would be fine if Bayo Skin 1 and Bayo Skin 2 from last chapter they were two differents Bayonettas and two not related to each other Bayonettas, since they would be two Bayonettas that in their universes are following very similar paths to the ones our Bayonetta protagonist followed in the past in Bayonetta 1 and 2 games.

I need answers please.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a list of all the objects in Viola's room? To go directly to those who are missing me to their corresponding chapter, thank you.

So I think I noticed some pop culture references but I might be looking into things that aren't there because they aren't 100% exactly the same. I would have thought I was crazy but
the thumbs up in the lava is quite clearly a reference to Terminator 2 so maybe I'm right. First was the "zombies" dancing was quite clearly referencing the Thriller dance even though the moves aren't accurate they were clearly referencing that right? Another I think might be an ass pull but I felt the whole part with Baal singing opera in her beautiful form was a reference to the alien lady in the Fifth Element singing space opera but again I only felt that for the first few minutes or so. I'm sure someone will tell me the Fifth Element scene is referencing real opera and I'm uncultured swine lol just kidding.

Ismt it amusing how many users st famiboards spent months bayo 3 would most likely be the last one and that astral chain would be THE platinum ip on nintemdo's consoles

And then bayo 3 comes and announces the sequel

So I think I noticed some pop culture references but I might be looking into things that aren't there because they aren't 100% exactly the same. I would have thought I was crazy but
the thumbs up in the lava is quite clearly a reference to Terminator 2 so maybe I'm right. First was the "zombies" dancing was quite clearly referencing the Thriller dance even though the moves aren't accurate they were clearly referencing that right? Another I think might be an ass pull but I felt the whole part with Baal singing opera in her beautiful form was a reference to the alien lady in the Fifth Element singing space opera but again I only felt that for the first few minutes or so. I'm sure someone will tell me the Fifth Element scene is referencing real opera and I'm uncultured swine lol just kidding.
I think those references are right. They can't just copy the scenes exactly as that would probably infringe copyright (specially the Thriller one), so they have to make them recognizable without them being blatantly the same.

BTW, this is the first game to make me laugh out loud in many years. Those scenes you mentioned were all amazing, but I specially bursted out laughing with the
infernal glowsticks during Baal's concert
. The whole scene goes from incredulity to absolutely superb, it just keeps getting better and better. At the end I was so much into it!!! This is a perfect example on how videogames can create immersion without striving for realism, and IMHO it's achieved in a much more powerful way as it's GAMEPLAY driven. I wasn't just looking at amazing performances and espectacular setpieces, I WAS DRIVING THE ACTION while headbanging like crazy 🤘🤘🤘

Last edited:
I dont normally record reactions, as I think its a little embarassing. But man, my face when jeane turned into cutie J was something else

Any tips of YT video guides for playing as Viola?
I'm on chapter 10, and tried to do the challenge where you can only attack during witch time, a tonne of times, but kept fialing. Even palying her level I'm not doing very good

Finished the game today. It's all over the place and not all of the million gameplay mechanics work that well, but I'm really happy a game like this can still exist.

Ismt it amusing how many users st famiboards spent months bayo 3 would most likely be the last one and that astral chain would be THE platinum ip on nintemdo's consoles

And then bayo 3 comes and announces the sequel
Is this really a common sentiment?

Bayo is so much more unique than Astral Chain. There would definitely be a loss in that replacement

For me, the silent protagonist/avatar just isn’t what I want out of a Platinum game when the stylish and captivating personality of Bayo is the other option.

Just finished it today. Best of the series, no doubt.

Now hoping the next game for P* is ASTRAL CHAIN 2
Yep, I'm going to keep playing Bayo 3 for a few more days (today I finished Ragnarok and what I need the most now is a game that lets me play) to explore the combat and do some optional content, I want to expriment with all the weapons too, bit I also hope that their next game is Astral Chain 2, the first entry shows a lot of potential, if they polish further the great ideas the game has and add new ones, a sequel can be a great game and a P* classic. And I don't mean that the first game is bad in any way, but the reused areas and some of the writing are rather bad.

I finished this a few days ago, mostly loved it.

The ending is a downer though. It's a messy story as it is, but the execution on the final moments leaves something to be desired.

Hopefully a Bayo 4 will be greenlit so that we can see some of the undercooked aspects developed.

Just finished it today. Best of the series, no doubt.

Now hoping the next game for P* is ASTRAL CHAIN 2
Yeah best of series by far for me, I feel like I'm playing a different game than other people. I Just finished it two days ago, and also didn't think the ending was that bad. I also didn't think the story was too messy, thought it was pretty easy to follow. It was basically Thanos' story in Marvel. Again I just feel like everyone got a different copy than me haha. I thought everything was brought together well, only odd part was the very, veryyyyyyy end battle that comes after scene. I only semi understand that part.

I feel like this is not only the best Bayonetta in terms of gameplay, but the story is actually the most engaging, and I prefer the new Bayonetta voice actress as well.

I finally managed to PP the campaign. I freakin‘ love this franchise. I‘ll probably come back next year (with an upgraded Switch :p) to go for the higher diffs as well

1-A96-F90-D-2-F3-F-46-AD-891-C-280-AE47-A92-B6.jpg

Finally beat the game and I can easily say that I loved it just as much as the previous 2. I can kind of understand how some people don't like the story or the ending but I really liked the finality of it all it is the end of the world after all even if the ending is a bit too long, I get it it's bayonetta 3 so it needs 3 dance sequences. But overall like all bayonetta's stories it's carried by the characters which are always a delight to see and I love Viola so that's probably why i liked the ending
Gameplay wise this is a 10/10, it's insane how many things you can do and deep the combat is. Together with some insane set pieces and boss fights that are so amazingly stupid (chapter 6 and chapter 12 especially) I had a blast playing it until the end. I didn't even had a lot of technical problems even if i felt that some locations were a bit bland (lava imperial China was really boring looking).
I don't know how I would rank it between the 3 games, I probably need to think about it more but this game is probably in my top 5 favourite switch game or at least pretty close to it together with kirby forgotten land.
I cannot wait to see what we're going to get with bayonetta 4 and astral chain 2.

Wow, ok, I see how the ending was divisive.

They should definitely have spent more time on luka-bayo interactions than having him spend most of the game as a silent werewolf thing, if they wanted to end it with their romance like that but the bigger issue is... Violas gameplay just isn't as fun as Cerezas, they're going to have an uphill battle selling a 4th game without Cereza, at any rate.

I suppose I finally understand how DMC fans got so divided about Nero at any rate!

Violas gameplay just isn't as fun as Cerezas, they're going to have an uphill battle selling a 4th game without Cereza, at any rate.
I wouldn't worry about a Bayonetta game without Cereza. Even if Bayo3's may or may not be coming back, the fact there are still so many Cerezas out there in the multiverse that were restored along with their worlds, after Cereza3 basically beat them out of Singularity, would do a lot to suggest that at worst, we'll just pick up with a new model to join Viola next go-round.

I personally think the one we get to meet in the Secret Chapter will probably be the one.

I wouldn't worry about a Bayonetta game without Cereza. Even if Bayo3's may or may not be coming back, the fact there are still so many Cerezas out there in the multiverse that were restored along with their worlds, after Cereza3 basically beat them out of Singularity, would do a lot to suggest that at worst, we'll just pick up with a new model to join Viola next go-round.

I personally think the one we get to meet in the Secret Chapter will probably be the one.

... The secret what now? Clearly I need to go back and look again at the game.

... The secret what now? Clearly I need to go back and look again at the game.
There should be a new item for you to buy in Rodin's shop called an "Old Picture Book". Buy that. After that, you have to go back to certain verses in the other chapters in order to collect three keys to open that book.

Follow this guide for more on that: https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/bayonetta-3-old-picture-book-how-to-access-the-secret-chapter

Without giving away too much more, there's also another costume you can unlock as a result of playing around in the secret chapter. All of this is pretty cute, easy, goes by quick and serves as a nice preview for...something? For further details on that and more, keep searching around!

Yoooo, I did the OHKO strategy with Rodin and it worked! I think it’s the first time I’ve beaten Rodin in any Bayonetta game (never had the patience of learning his patterns and beat him in previous games despite beating the games with gold statue in climax difficulty).

Now I have 3 chapters left in Climax difficulty so I can test the new weapon and demon :D

I finally beat the game last week and forgot to write my feelings as someone who's been a fan since the Bayo 2 days.

This game is a hot mess. Some great combat bogged down by nearly every chapter having hit or miss set pieces. The new VA sometimes nails Bayo and sometimes feels off. As someone who enjoys Luka and doesn't mind Bayo/Luka I really wish he was used more outside of being a beast for the majority, especially as most of the old cast does nothing. I also am annoyed that Viola does nothing during the final boss, then has a throwawy battle during the credits where I don't feel like fighting. The enemies have nowhere near the charm of the old angels and demons. I like Viola.

This feels so disconnected from Bayo 1 and 2 it's kind of hilarious. I'm just gonna enjoy them seperately and keep them apart in my mind because they just don't feel similar at all. The Lumen Sage fights also remain unbeaten as my favourite fights in the series (Strider ones were pretty fun but would still rank around the same as Jeanne and below LS. )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom