• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Bayonetta 3 | A Love-In With The Coven

God, those Viola "witch time only" challenges are absolutely brutal. She gets maybe 1-2 seconds max per witch time, am I doing something wrong?

God, those Viola "witch time only" challenges are absolutely brutal. She gets maybe 1-2 seconds max per witch time, am I doing something wrong?
Sounds like you are parrying too early? If you time it closer to when you are about to get hit, witch time will last about as long as a Bayonetta-activated witch time dodge.

Sounds like you are parrying too early? If you time it closer to when you are about to get hit, witch time will last about as long as a Bayonetta-activated witch time dodge.
Ugh so I truly just need to git gud. Damn, my parrying sucks.

I think we've all had the same problem in that challenge. Don't give up, skeleton!
This wasn't the first one, I've had trouble with them all. Didn't realize that timing your parry better gave your more witch time though so that helped me beat it, I'll take gold any day.

This wasn't the first one, I've had trouble with them all. Didn't realize that timing your parry better gave your more witch time though so that helped me beat it, I'll take gold any day.
In my case, it helped to hold down the block button instead of tapping it, it helped me to commit to parrying and pay more attention (and it also stopped me from accidently darting forward with the RR dash move), but I'm still getting smacked in the face a lot.

In my case, it helped to hold down the block button instead of tapping it, it helped me to commit to parrying and pay more attention (and it also stopped me from accidently darting forward with the RR dash move), but I'm still getting smacked in the face a lot.
Yeah I do the dash by accident way too often. For some reason my mind doesn't want to hold it down, I was having trouble convincing my body to do that.

Oh well, good luck!

I'm not really seeing the depth. Demon Slave/Wink Slave are so strong it feels punishing to not use especially when the timer medal is incredibly harsh again and 3/4ths of the enemies in the game are gigantic and clearly put in so you can punch them with big demons. I just beat Rodin and I found the most effective way to fight him by far to just do short bnbs ending in a Wink Slave and start mashing out summons whenever I had a larger opening. Maybe it'll click later but I kind of miss the intimacy of doing cool shit to smaller sized enemies from Bayonetta 1 (2 till an extent but it had other issues) and contemporary games.

Got my fill for now maybe I'll give it a go when people have dissected the game some more and found more advanced stuff.

Got all the thingamajigs, so I guess I am pretty close to the end now. Enjoying the gameplay, it's just as over the top as I hoped it would be. Storywise, though, it is a very Captain Obvious affair, and I can not wait for the grand reveal to not subvert my expectations in any way. Here for the gameplay, though, so that's fine.

Done with Chapter 12. There's a lot of absolutely ridiculous stuff in this game. I love it for that.

I think the Chapter 11/12 duo are my favourite stages. Although I just played them last night, and had to replay them today, and about to do chapter 13.

The weapon variety is absolutely insane. I wish we could toggle between 3 weapons instead of 2!

Bayonetta 3 reminds me why I'd always take an inspired game that's imperfect over a polished but sterile one.

It may have some niggling issues, -technical performance is uneven and the camera is an occasional nuisance- but they pale compared to its creativity, ambition, spirit, and sheer fun factor.
Every time I pull off a perfectly timed dodge or assault slave move, or find myself thrust headlong into the next outrageously epic setpiece, all my minor quibbles are swept away in a tsunami of dopamine.

Bayonetta 3 reminds me why I'd always take an inspired game that's imperfect over a polished but sterile one.

It may have some niggling issues, -technical performance is uneven and the camera is an occasional nuisance- but they pale compared to its creativity, ambition, spirit, and sheer fun factor.
Every time I pull off a perfectly timed dodge or assault slave move, or find myself thrust headlong into the next outrageously epic setpiece, all my minor quibbles are swept away in a tsunami of dopamine.
The Bayo series in general also represents a passion for video games in a way that other (non P*) games in the genre donā€™t. Some may call the bonus levels and mini games ā€œgimmicky,ā€ but theyā€™re clearly made with love and respect for those that came before.

All done for now with post game stuff. I still prefer Bayonetta 2, but I did warm up to the combat a bit more doing the tougher challenges that demanded more attention. Juggling and dashing towards enemies feels great.

Finished Chapters 8 and 9 and yeah, these are my favorite thus far. Game keeps getting better!

Also the music you can unlock in the gallery, there's some old tunes in there too which is a nice surprise. There's definitely songs from later parts of the game but nothing spoilery based on the titles.

Is there any tips on how to catch the Crow? I'm on chapter 3 and cant catch it no matter how hard I try, I just keep falling and dying. I saw one in either chapter 1 or 2, but couldn't catch it, so figured I had to come back later when I had a new ability? Is there another ability that makes catching them easier and I should try later, or..?

Also on the topic of it, is there a way to quick heal without having to go through the - menu each time?

Is there any tips on how to catch the Crow? I'm on chapter 3 and cant catch it no matter how hard I try, I just keep falling and dying. I saw one in either chapter 1 or 2, but couldn't catch it, so figured I had to come back later when I had a new ability? Is there another ability that makes catching them easier and I should try later, or..?

Also on the topic of it, is there a way to quick heal without having to go through the - menu each time?
crows will always fly in one of two paths, depending on where you are when they activate. the trick is usually to head them off somewhere, since they'll rarely fly in a straight line

The Bayo series in general also represents a passion for video games in a way that other (non P*) games in the genre donā€™t. Some may call the bonus levels and mini games ā€œgimmicky,ā€ but theyā€™re clearly made with love and respect for those that came before.
This is what I was thinking the other day, in a medium where you have infinite possibilities a lot of developers try to make things the closest to reality they can, even to the point of making fun take a backseat to "realism", "mood", "ambient"...But videogames can also put you inside a dragon and make you waterski with boats on your feet.
I think at this point Platinum is the only studio that can do this kind of crazy things with an acceptable budget.

BTW, on my part I'm more inclined to forgive "gamey" stuff like invisible walls and such in these kind of games. I would prefer a tighter design, but there is no suspension of disbelief, I'm conscious at all times that this is a game and I accept with open arms when nonsensical stuff happens just because it's cool. In more realistic games however, all the effort of the developers to put you into the right mood and make you super invested in the characters and the story flies out of the window when you come across an invisible wall or stuff that has no explanation in the game's more grounded world/rules. Does this happen to anyone else?

Just completed my first playthrough. Had a blast with it! Someone here said they would like to see Jeanne's minigame expanded into a whole spin-off, and I concur.

Probably my favourite game in the series, overall. But yes, you can see that this game pushed the hardware to its absolute limits. Not that it detracted from my enjoyment or anything, but still.

I just saw a video where the player used Malphas to create a giant tornado and suck in all the enemies, then switched to Phantasmaraneae and SET THE TORNADO ON FIRE!!

The Demons can use poison, sound, plants...I'm sure that there are other crazy interactions like this one.

Also, I don't know if anyone in here mentioned this before, but when on the chapter select screen, try throwing darts at random things throughout the room for some neat showcases of attention to detail.

I thought I was getting used to Violaā€™s gameplay and then Chapter 10 Verse 3 happened.

Okay Verse 8ā€¦what the fuck.

Last edited:
Colour me disappointed overall, so far. I'm in chapter 10, pretty sure I know where the story is going. Not gelling with Viola at all, though I'd like to because I like her design and the principle of blocking for Witch Time, though the execution feels unforgiving; the Jeanne sections are serviceable (though I'd be all over a Jeanne sidescroller that controls as well as Metroid Dread); the camera has been a constant irritation for me. Far too frequently my playable character is either outright obscured from view, or partially obscured, or too tiny for me to easily discern, or angles complicate depth perception for me.

The constant mash up of gameplay styles means I've rarely settled into a groove with this one. Some of that can be attributed to cognitive issues caused by my health condition (memory/concentration/dexterity issues), but the game switches character and gameplay focus just as I'm getting to grips with things. Between the camera angles and the constant shift of focus in gameplay style, I've found the game difficult to 'parse'; whether that's understanding what the game wants me to do each time a new style of play is introduced, or simply not having enough time to read on screen controls before things start exploding.

Might have more joy on a second playthrough, if I ever find the time, but so far this is a step down from Astral Chain and Bayonetta 2. I'm not an action game aficionado, to be clear, but I enjoyed Bayo 1 and adored the sequel and Astral Chain.

Playing as Bayonetta herself is as sublime as ever, and that's a big strength for the game. Technical issues barely bug me, though they are there.

Amazon apparently wonā€™t ship my Special Edition until at least Nov 14th. My guess is I never receive it. Anyone else had this problem?

I'm surprised they made the parrying windows for Viola (especially to get usuable WT) so tight. Feel she'd be a lot more fun to use for a lot of people if it was more lenient.

It not only feels like the parrying window for Viola is too tight, but the choppy framerate, occasionally rough camera, emphasis on fighting larger enemies, and the hitboxes in general not really feeling accurate to the animations makes for a hard time for me. Sekiro genuinely felt more forgiving than this game does at times. I also hate that dash-forward move that activates by tapping the block button twice in succession; I do it by accident far too many times and I don't see any reason why it couldn't be tied to a different input. It's unfortunate, because I love parrying in games and I loved Sekiro and Metal Gear Rising in particular, but Viola's kit just isn't gelling with me.

These issues, + the bigger emphasis on controlling demons, is kind of making me regret picking this one up. I'm on chapter 8 now and hoping it clicks more with me later.

I'll just say I am glad I went through this on casual for my first time through because I wanted to make sure I got this out of the way before Tactics Ogre next week.

My reaction times and hand dexterity aren't what they used to be anyway, so it was the right decision. And having tried the postgame content that is not tied to difficulty settings has further reinforced that decision, because hot damn, especially when there's a big enemy accompanied by lots of smaller ones. Not sure if the difficulty level for postgame is closer to normal or hard, but yeah.

Beat the game, I still have absolutely no idea what the story was about. I guess that was more or less the case with the first game too. Second was a lot less murky.

I've also just completed it. A little less mixed on it after completing it (enjoyed the gameplay in the last couple of chapters especially, though the narrative is a mess) but far more issues with it than 2.

Conflicted about this one. It has stretches of brilliance, but it feels messy, in more ways than the technical issues and the narrative. Part of me wants to keep playing next week, to see if I get to grips with it more; part of me wants to move on, because I've got so many other games... but yeah.

Gunna echo some sentiments Iā€™ve seen and say that I honestly havenā€™t enjoyed playing as Viola as much as Iā€™d hoped. The parry timing feels like it outright doesnā€™t work properly. Itā€™s so rigorous compared to Bayonettaā€™s window for witch time, and given how little you play as Viola compared to Bayo, itā€™s too rough of an adjustment for such a brief playtime. Cheshire also works in a way too inconvenient way compared to the rest of the summons that Iā€™m used to doing. I almost wish I didnā€™t have concurrent control of Viola during the summon. I think aside from the dash, long jump, and grapple swing, Iā€™d much rather Viola have just played like an alternate weapon set to Bayo.

I just finished Chapter 12 and the amount of gameplay concepts on display in this game so far is really incredible. Thereā€™s almost too much of a variety in weapons because I donā€™t feel like Iā€™m giving any of them proper time, but theyā€™re all a lot of fun. The Yo-Yoā€™s are probably my favorite, but I also love the fans. Madams Butterfly summon remains top tier for me. And Baal is my #2.

The events of the plot are getting a little repetitive at this point; thereā€™s not a whole lot of narrative revelation and the game feels pretty needlessly cyclical. I hope after this we reach some kind of crescendo because Iā€™m ready for things to start wrapping up.

I played my first playthrough just blasting through it, because I wanted to have a full weapon arsenal as soon as possible before really digging in, as thatā€™s when the real meat of these games start

Having so much fun going back through levels and finding all the verses/Niflheims I missed, as well as getting all those collectibles

Game is so fucking great

I got it yesterday, played the first chapter which I enjoyed even though it seems even more confusing than is usual for this series.

Only played the first three chapters but this is fairly different from 1 and 2 (so far in a prwtty good way)

Edit: I'm confused, how do you use other demon's powers? The game is telling me to climb walls with the spider but I don't know how, I don't have any weapon associated with it yet.

Last edited:
Only played the first three chapters but this is fairly different from 1 and 2 (so far in a prwtty good way)

Edit: I'm confused, how do you use other demon's powers? The game is telling me to climb walls with the spider but I don't know how, I don't have any weapon associated with it yet.
You get the ability when you receive the weapon that allows you to use demon masquerade.

To climb walls you double tap ZR to run as the spider and either walk up it or just jump towards the wall. It can get a bit finicky in later chapters with different geometry for scaling tall areas.

I think where you are right now you temporarily have access to the spider summon, you can change your current demon summon regardless of weapon with the d-pad. So pick the spider one, then hold ZL (I think you have an infinite mana spot where you currently are) to summon it and use it to climb the walls.

Yeah, every chapter just confirms that this game is so much better than the first two for me. Reading the reviews I was expecting this 35fps 240p game with an awful story. I feel like I am playing a different game than some of these reviews. Worlds are pretty, action is amazing and over-the-top, story is great.

I finished the game and WHOA the last few chapters delivered in ways I couldn't imagine!

It's my favorite Bayonetta game as my immediate reaction. To the spoiler thread...

Edit: NVM I figured it out. This game has too many different systems for my fish brain.

Last edited:
crows will always fly in one of two paths, depending on where you are when they activate. the trick is usually to head them off somewhere, since they'll rarely fly in a straight line
I don't wanna sound like a dickhead but I don't know what you mean at all LOL

I don't wanna sound like a dickhead but I don't know what you mean at all LOL
When you approach a crow it'll take one of two set paths depending on which way you approach the crow from. Usually the crow will take some turns or corners so that you can get to it faster than it can get away if you know the exact path it's taking.

So basically you need to watch its flight path s couple of times then go back and catch it mid flight at some point on its path.

I can't remember the last time I genuinely laughed at a game like I did at the end of chapter 12

what a wild ride this game is

I've PP'd everything but the Viola chapters now and I almost just want to pretend they don't exist because there hasn't been a worse character in an action game than Viola since ever.

Anyone else terrible at the Jeanne minigames? I get confused pretty easy and this is coming from someone who beat Hollow Knight. Sometimes it feels there's too much small, distracting stuff on the screen (I have bad eyesight)

At least we get more Jeanne. I've always found her more attractive than Bayo IMO

FgyakwKagAEkbhO

I just finished Chapter 3.....MY GOD WHAT AM I PLAYING. THIS IS GAME DMCV but its cranked up x99!!!!!. OH MY GOD. This might be the best action game ever made.

Just beat the game.

This game is definitely one of the best action games of all time. The ending was definitely meh though in terms of plot. Iā€™m not sure overall if I like this or Bayo 2 more. This game took more risks and was a bit more messy as a result, but I liked the variety it offered. Bayo 2 on the other hand was much more streamlined, polished, and consistent in its excellence.

Itā€™s definitely something Iā€™m going to have to give more consideration.

Back
Top Bottom