• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Bayonetta 3 | A Love-In With The Coven

I could squeeze in about an hour of play time now ahead of my late shift, but I just know I won't be able to stop once I got going. Probably won't be able to play much this weekend at all, as I have another busy one ahead.

But it's finally here and I am holding it in my hands. I see that as an absolute win.

Edit: The launch trailer is so fucking hype.

Only played the prologue so far but I have to wonder why they keep sandbagging Jeanne. She was cool in Bayo 1.

I can play for about 30-60 minutes now - but cant play again until sunday...

Dont know if it's wise to start now or not ;P

It's funny.

Kid / Teen: Has the time to play everything, but not the money to get everything.
Adult: Has the money to get everything, but not the time.
Yep, i buy like every major new release compulsively, but finding the time/energy to play them is more difficult. My 2023 resolution is to develop more healthy spending habbits than I currently have

It's funny.

Kid / Teen: Has the time to play everything, but not the money to get everything.
Adult: Has the money to get everything, but not the time.
Pretty much lol

Some current games in my backlog I have yet to start: Triangle Strategy, Xenoblade 3, Live A Live, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, Resident Evil Village, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, Horizon: Forbidden West, Bayonetta 3….

And I have some games pre-ordered and paid off digitally (Dead Space, RE4 Remake, next Yakuza game, a couple others).

It’s just madness. I simply don’t have the time or energy after a long day of work to play all that much anymore. And I simply can’t keep up with new releases these days. I fear I won’t be able to play Tears of the Kingdom anywhere near launch day lol

Solution is:

We all need to win the lottery or find some rich relative that's been missing until now to inherit so we can finally have the advantages of the adult part and the kid/teen part!

... Let me dream, okay?

Picked up my Trinity Masquerade Edition. The box is shinier than expected. Gonna be a long work day until I can put the proper time into the game.

Absolute torture waiting for my copy to be delivered by Amazon. 🥲
That's just Bayonetta trying out a new attack. Judging from this post, it appears to be working.

Luckily I don't need to worry about the agony of waiting on the game to arrive, but that's mostly because -- in the current spirit of this thread -- I already have so much to get through and so little time to do so.

In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys the game. One could say it's a miracle this title even exists.

I genuinely couldn’t even tell the difference between Hale and Taylor. Hale’s doing a great job.

Finished. Absolutely hated the story all the way through. I hope this is the end because I can't bare myself through anymore games if this is what I can come to expect.

The gameplay is still solid though. But with a lot of slow moments throughout that felt like a drag.

Bayonetta 2 is still the best in the series.

Finished. Absolutely hated the story all the way through. I hope this is the end because I can't bare myself through anymore games if this is what I can come to expect.

The gameplay is still solid though. But with a lot of slow moments throughout that felt like a drag.

Bayonetta 2 is still the best in the series.
That's interesting! Would like to hear more in depth thoughts once I'm finished, I'm about halfway through and this seems like a direct continuation of 2 from what I've played so far.

That's interesting! Would like to hear more in depth thoughts once I'm finished, I'm about halfway through and this seems like a direct continuation of 2 from what I've played so far.
I mean... It's definitely after 2. But 2 was great since it both simultaneously improved the story of the first game while being an extremely fun fanfare and great story throughout.

3 was just multiverse shenanigans. Extremely obvious plot points being kept "secret" and dragged on tooth and nails throughout. And I felt like screaming at the fictional characters that keep repeating: "No time to explain" and I'm here like: 'it takes like 2 seconds to explain. My god'.

None of the multiverse shenanigans was appealing at all. The ending was unbearable and felt extremely unearned all the way through. I'm left with so many questions to things I just don't care about anymore or aren't interesting questions to explore in general.

The gameplay is fun, the new weapons are unique and fun like every other game. But God damn I can't believe how bad and nonsensical the story is. Even Bayonetta 1 standalone was better (and funnier) in comparison.

Won't be replaying for a second playthrough. I feel absolutely burnt out.

I think for me, atleast in my first few hours, it just became clear that nothing was as pure and perfect as Bayonetta 2. Don’t get me wrong I am loving B3, but that opening or Bayonetta 2 — that’s gotta be one of the best levels in all of
gaming.

The opening of B3 hasn’t been as smooth. The opening level isn’t one I’ll be replaying the way I’ve replayed B2’s opening level dozens of times.

I think for me, atleast in my first few hours, it just became clear that nothing was as pure and perfect as Bayonetta 2. Don’t get me wrong I am loving B3, but that opening or Bayonetta 2 — that’s gotta be one of the best levels in all of
gaming.

The opening of B3 hasn’t been as smooth. The opening level isn’t one I’ll be replaying the way I’ve replayed B2’s opening level dozens of times.
I agree with this, but this is how I feel about both 2 and 3 in comparison to 1. Maybe I need to revisit 2 again for a more direct comparison

I agree with this, but this is how I feel about both 2 and 3 in comparison to 1. Maybe I need to revisit 2 again for a more direct comparison
2's first level is absolute perfection. 3 is just... Adequate. Needing a lot more fine tuning. I mean first levels are hard to design for, but they were off their game. Whether I can blame the pandemic, the time needed to release the game or what. I just expect more from this series in level design.

For those of us who like sharing clips from our Switch itself, seems like the game mutes the entire audio if Moonlight Serenade plays.

I bought a second Trinity Masquerade edition as a 2AM impulse purchase 🙃

I've been thinking about this tweet from Hashimoto. I really hope Bayonetta 3 sells enough to guarantee a 4th entry, it would be a shame if this franchise dies :(
I can't stop feeling that because 2 and 3 were Iwata initiatives, they weren't greenlighted entirely because of gross profit only.

For those of us who like sharing clips from our Switch itself, seems like the game mutes the entire audio if Moonlight Serenade plays.
1 and 2 were like that too because of songs/music licensing. IIRC, there was an option to play without music so the video wouldn't be completely mute or something.

I bought a second Trinity Masquerade edition as a 2AM impulse purchase 🙃

I've been thinking about this tweet from Hashimoto. I really hope Bayonetta 3 sells enough to guarantee a 4th entry, it would be a shame if this franchise dies :(
I can't stop feeling that because 2 and 3 were Iwata initiatives, they weren't greenlighted entirely because of gross profit only.

1 and 2 were like that too because of songs/music licensing. IIRC, there was an option to play without music so the video wouldn't be completely mute or something.
Ah ok. I guess I didn't really notice it as much then since Fly Me to the Moon and Moon River didn't play for every battle. Guess I'll be using the capture card for my clips!

Can anyone help? I was just given a tutorial saying I could do some sort of air hop/boost by holding down b midair, but when I do that it just makes me go into the butterfly thing. Anyone know how to make that maneuver work? I can't find the tutorial again either

EDIT: nvm I figured how to switch weapons lol

I put a good amount of in the game so far and I'm (probably?) close to beating it once, really enjoying it, combat is much improved from the downgrade that was 2, already feel there will be more depth but it's a bit early to say for sure. As someone who doesn't watch the cutscenes in these games and just plays for the gameplay it's pretty close to 1, not sure if it's quite the best yet but it might be, I usually play through these games like 3-5 times at least before I have a solid opinion though.

If I had to complain about anything it's the fact the game is just kind of really ugly, it's not a looker in any way and it runs pretty poorly at times. If you're not in a major rush to play this like I was I'd for this title more than any other suggest maybe waiting for next hardware.

Last edited:
The combat in this game is kind of insane. Definitely a marked step up from Bayonetta 2. The Platinum gang has finally managed to make a game where relying on combat with familiars seems to pose no real frills (even as someone who adores TW101 and Astral Chain). Makes me wonder what Scalebound could've been; though the answer to that is probably not as good as this since we're talking about Bayonetta here.

Played about an hour or so. I'm glad Platinum figured out a way to make combat against the big guys smoother but I think I'll end up preferring Bayo 2's solution of just not having so many big guys to fight. The Demon Slave is fairly slow to do anything and doesn't really feel the type of gameplay I come to Bayonetta for. Maybe it'll improve with time, or maybe it'll be possible to just use Bayonetta and mostly ignore the Demon Slave. Interested to see how it plays out.

I’ve never played Astral Chain so I’m just going off what I’ve seen of the game, but is anyone else feeling like Bayo3 is a blend of the first 2 games plus AC?
Personally I’m loving it! The first two Bayo’s felt like back to back sequels so the plot of 3 is refreshing and I’m really loving it so far

Also speaking of I’ve wanted AC for a while now and after playing B3 I defs want it but it doesn’t seem to be like it’s in print anymroe? (Australia here), any chance of a reprint?

(Idk if this counts as a spoiler cause it was in a reveal trailer??)
Also I’ve only played the first 2 or 3 chapters, but is the battle at the end of chapter 2 or 3 (after you arrive in Shibuya station I think?) the same battle as the one that was in the initial reveal trailer for the game? I just love seeing how things changed in development, so if that was the case that’s a massive cutscene change hehe

FgMal-wWIAA2-lA.jpg

This is so slay.

I’ve never played Astral Chain so I’m just going off what I’ve seen of the game, but is anyone else feeling like Bayo3 is a blend of the first 2 games plus AC?
Personally I’m loving it! The first two Bayo’s felt like back to back sequels so the plot of 3 is refreshing and I’m really loving it so far

Also speaking of I’ve wanted AC for a while now and after playing B3 I defs want it but it doesn’t seem to be like it’s in print anymroe? (Australia here), any chance of a reprint?

(Idk if this counts as a spoiler cause it was in a reveal trailer??)
Also I’ve only played the first 2 or 3 chapters, but is the battle at the end of chapter 2 or 3 (after you arrive in Shibuya station I think?) the same battle as the one that was in the initial reveal trailer for the game? I just love seeing how things changed in development, so if that was the case that’s a massive cutscene change hehe
Astral Chain’s legion system is just a bit snappier but I can see where you’re coming from.

Got an email from Amazon telling me that it's coming in tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get a chance to start playing on Sunday.

What a glorious day! October 28th, 2022... I'll never forget thee. Nintendo, Sega, Platinum y'all fucking RULE, and I'm not worthy of such art!! 😭

Got my Trinity Masquerade Edition from Best Buy (shipped) earlier and...unfortunately it took a beating. The left side of the box got smashed good due to the large shipping box it came in (big box; too much movement) and the increased weight of the US CE. First time something like this has happened to me, so it was due lol. Jeez, I really wanted to overlook it, but I just can't, not for a game this dear to me.

Thankfully, My Nintendo Store (US) still has Trinity Masquerade in stock and I'm rolling the dice again hoping for better luck. Every other place is sold out for now so I'm glad I found something. If anyone in the US is looking for a copy, here you go. And to all you other Bayonutters... have a splendid weekend! 🌙

Tomorrow my LE and I can't wait!

NOW IF ONLY THEY'D INCLUDE THAT STEELBOOK! 😭

InfiniteSerpentineAmericansaddlebred-size_restricted.gif
Yeahhgh
I got mine yesterday. I thought the covers were just gonna be sleeves so I was happy when they were physical cases, but I don’t like how the one for 3 doubles as it’s standard case as well. Would’ve died for a stellbook in the collection

As plot and story have come up in a general sense, I figure I'll pop in with some thoughts on the basic topic.

Once reviews started pouring in, the sentiment popped up once again that, well, who plays these for the story? It's an old refrain, not the only time it's been suggested and surely not the last And there's a sense to that.

After all, this is a series that's known for being wild and over the top.

It's still possible that a subpar story, even just one that betrays what a person thinks is the essence of a particular series, might sully the overall experience for someone. Sure, they still enjoy the game play, but there's something in their mind that remembers the story. And then there are others for whom nothing except the game play truly matters.

Conversely, good story, well-implemented (and what that means will change depending on the particular game in question) won't meet the same issues and can even elevate gameplay moments and setpieces, imbuing them with a certain meaning and gravitas.

It can also be difficult to do well, but it raises the profile of the whole package when pulled off.

As plot and story have come up in a general sense, I figure I'll pop in with some thoughts on the basic topic.

Once reviews started pouring in, the sentiment popped up once again that, well, who plays these for the story? It's an old refrain, not the only time it's been suggested and surely not the last And there's a sense to that.

After all, this is a series that's known for being wild and over the top.

It's still possible that a subpar story, even just one that betrays what a person thinks is the essence of a particular series, might sully the overall experience for someone. Sure, they still enjoy the game play, but there's something in their mind that remembers the story. And then there are others for whom nothing except the game play truly matters.

Conversely, good story, well-implemented (and what that means will change depending on the particular game in question) won't meet the same issues and can even elevate gameplay moments and setpieces, imbuing them with a certain meaning and gravitas.

It can also be difficult to do well, but it raises the profile of the whole package when pulled off.
I think the first game has a fine story for what it is. Although there are some things that happen in it that make me think it was unfinished and kind of thrown together. The second game does not explain these things but it does enhance the first game through its ending imo. There’s not really a whole lot the third game can do to build on the foundation, so I’m not really expecting much this time around.

I think the story in 1 is very straight forward, it's just told in an unconventional and exciting way. it's appropriate for an action game where the story isn't the most important thing but rather exists to keep you motivated to continue despite the stone rankings you're probably getting on the first play through

The funniest thing about Bayonetta 3 so far after playing three chapters is there is one sequence which pretty much gives us a quick look at PlatinumGames' newest studio office.

You know...the one in TOKYO! 😂

Game is dope as hell. Need to sit in the training area and practice demon slave buffer input combos.

Game is great so far. (6 chapters in) However it could suffer from the same problem (at least for me it‘s a problem) as 2. You have to be very efficient with fighting/dmg in group encounters to get plat for time aka wreck shit with demons. It doesn‘t really allow for silly styling on enemies like in 1. That‘s why I prefer the fights in 1. Anyway I reserve judgment til multiple playthroughs.

I respect that it tries different things. Just not fully sold on the demon slave mechanic yet.

Played until Chapter 3 (also doing the Phenomenal Remnant bonus chapters for each). To note, I'm absolutely terrible at character action games, despite generally enjoying them, and this game is no exception on either front.

It's an absolute blast and I have no idea what I'm doing, except it looks and feels really cool. The Demon Slave mechanic is a lot of fun, having this sort of super move level power immediately at your fingertips is quite nice.

For people a fair bit in; without big spoilers, are there demon enemies to face in the game? They were my favourite part of 2

Does Wink Slave only work for certain combos? Did some quick tests with Madama and it seems to always trigger with PPKP, but not with PKP.

Finished chapter 1. The prologue couldn’t top 2’s, but it was still some fantastic spectacle in the cutscenes. Chapter 1 though I really dug. The new movement feels interesting and I’m enjoying the fights. Some extra wild stuff already in chapter 1 that I adored. Demon summoning doesn’t feel too hot to control as I expected, but I’m interested in working it into my combos regardless. Can’t wait to play more soon!

Admittedly some of the Kaiju stuff tanks frame rate, nothing too jarring and the game probably isn't a smooth 60 all the time. Image quality fluctuates and I only saw really low Rez once but it was when the camera was panning away. However, with all that being said the combat in this game is awesome, the overall gameplay is great. Once I do some yard work and some errands today, I'm going to get some chapters in before the Silva vs Paul fight

Game is great so far. (6 chapters in) However it could suffer from the same problem (at least for me it‘s a problem) as 2. You have to be very efficient with fighting/dmg in group encounters to get plat for time aka wreck shit with demons. It doesn‘t really allow for silly styling on enemies like in 1. That‘s why I prefer the fights in 1. Anyway I reserve judgment til multiple playthroughs.

I respect that it tries different things. Just not fully sold on the demon slave mechanic yet.
I'm replaying the game and I have some concern about future long-term replayability because of the scoring and enemy roster too. The sheer amount of large enemies you fight kind of limits player expression and nudges you a little too much towards using Demon Slave which is cool for a while (especially sick on your first playthrough) but their movesets are limited and the controls are stiff.

Last edited:
I’m currently feeling that the Homunculi are sort of uninspired so far. Only at chapter 2.

But, the Demon Slave system is, frankly, unreal.

Back
Top Bottom