• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Bayonetta 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my name is MissingNo., and I must have watched the most recent trailer about 9000 times at this point.

Same, i've beeen a huge fan of Bayonetta since the original release back on PS360. This and Horizon were the two games for 2022 that I was looking forward to the most, and i'm so happy the wait is almost over.

Yeah the last trailer was amazing. This is my most anticipated game for the year and I can't wait.

Especially so since they have Naive Angel mode if they are concerned about showing it with other games, but I do wonder if we will get a Bayo 3 specific direct in the next month as well.

Especially so since they have Naive Angel mode if they are concerned about showing it with other games, but I do wonder if we will get a Bayo 3 specific direct in the next month as well.
There has to be a dedicated Direct for this game. Not only did 2 get one, but 3 has so much new stuff that needs to be elaborated on! Also hoping for an amiibo repress

There has to be a dedicated Direct for this game. Not only did 2 get one, but 3 has so much new stuff that needs to be elaborated on! Also hoping for an amiibo repress

Yea! Been waiting a while for this game, unreal it is actually coming out soon. I know there was a lot of debate on the games development.

naive angel mode doesn't mean anything regarding promotion. it wasn't even NIntendo's idea

Anyone else getting the impression from the gameplay video that we won't have the ability to have different weapons attached to our feet and hands, like in the first two games? Her transformations, including her previous Panther Within move, seem to now be tied to whatever demon inhabits her currently equipped weapons. We see her transform into her Madama Butterfly form instead of the panther when she has the guns equipped, and...whatever the spider is called form instead of a panther when she has the spider weapon equipped. When she had the spider weapon active too it was attached to both her hands and feet.

I could be wrong, just something I noticed.

Bayo 3's official website updated in japan with character renders, video clips, and more. There are so many fun things to look forward to, but beware spoilers because there's a huge one on the story page. Though its something many have expected.

Last edited:
It seems they have added a lot of new mechanics to the combat system and not just "summon big demon to kill everything". Looks great :D

Hope they would've shown more of the weapons but at the same time, glad that they'll be a surprise when we finally get the game!!

Bayo 3's official website updated in japan with character renders, video clips, and more. There are so many fun things to look forward to, but beware spoilers because there's a huge one on the story page. Though its something many have expected.

Maybe I missed something but I don't see any huge spoiler on that page. Is it in the text or one of the images? I used the Google Translate app on my phone, pointing the camera at the screen, so maybe something wasn't translated properly. Could you post what it is? (In spoiler tags of course)
Edit: lmao nevermind, I think I spotted it in the video at the very top of the Story page. I had even watched that before I posted but didn't notice the
clothing
until I watched it again.

Reminds me of Doom Eternal in a way: just like that game the gameplay looks splendid, and the story looks... less so =P . So!

1). Turn on "Clothes Please" Mode;
2). Skip cutscenes;
3). Set VO to Japanese or disable;
4). Rip & Tear!

Anyone else getting the impression from the gameplay video that we won't have the ability to have different weapons attached to our feet and hands, like in the first two games? Her transformations, including her previous Panther Within move, seem to now be tied to whatever demon inhabits her currently equipped weapons. We see her transform into her Madama Butterfly form instead of the panther when she has the guns equipped, and...whatever the spider is called form instead of a panther when she has the spider weapon equipped. When she had the spider weapon active too it was attached to both her hands and feet.

Aaaand my theory has been confirmed by this new preview.

I wonder if they may make Bayo x Luka canon in the "fake Bayo" timeline, the lyrics are strangely romantic, especially the final verse

I feel weak
I tremble to speak
As I take my last breath I’m the happiest I’ve ever been
Ocean blue
Are the tears in your eyes knowing that you will be here by my side
My Cheshire

It could mean literally anything and it seems people are also hearing "my treasure" at the end (I personally hear "my Cheshire"), but I'm curious.

Anyhow, great bop.

absolutely love the theme, a good continuation of mysterious destiny and tomorrow is mine.

I think they may make Bayo x Luka canon in the "fake Bayo" timeline, the lyrics are strangely romantic, especially the final verse

I feel weak
I tremble to speak
As I take my last breath I’m the happiest I’ve ever been
Ocean blue
Are the tears in your eyes knowing that you will be here by my side
My Cheshire

It could mean literally anything and it seems people are also hearing "my treasure" at the end (I personally hear "my Cheshire"), but I'm curious.

Anyhow, great bop.

Oh my god, this is incredible; this might be the only game to dethrone xenoblade 3 as my game of the year.

I'll bet anything that the bayo 1 costume is the bayo from the original continuity, and that she'll be unlockable, she'll probably be one of the harder characters to unlock, and she'll be able to mix and match weapon sets for her hands and feet and will utilise a playstyle closer to that of Bayonetta 1 and 2

if bayo 1 managed to break everyone's expectations and sell 1 million on switch only, then i def think in best cases bayo 3 could get to 3 million, but that's the best outcome.

if bayo 1 managed to break everyone's expectations and sell 1 million on switch only, then i def think in best cases bayo 3 could get to 3 million, but that's the best outcome.
I don't think it will. This is the third Nintendo release and has been re-released twice elsewhere after thr initial 360/ps3 release

We do have the knowledge Bayonetta 2 ended up selling 1 million on Switch. Bayo 1 came alongside its physical version and was half priced standalone on eShop. I don't think it's that far already. Now it selling 1m standalone I don't see happening. Bayo 3 can become a surprise hit tho, am rooting for it.

Pretty neat little breakdown video. Game just looks super promising to me and I say that as someone who did not enjoy Bayonetta 2 because it butchered so many aspects of the combat. I really hope 3 strikes a balance with the best of previous games, good, well designed core gameplay like Bayonetta 1 but the more straightforward and well designed chapters of 2 and everything I've seen so far just gives the impression they're going to nail it.

Last edited:
I still can’t believe this game is actually releasing soon. Feels like quite the journey, I remember when everybody thought this game was in development hell and it would not release.

Ah, yes, have that ordered. I was concerned they might not release it physically at all for a bit there.
The whole collection getting released as such is good.

Pretty neat little breakdown video. Game just looks super promising to me and I say that as someone who did not enjoy Bayonetta 2 because it butchered so many aspects of the combat. I really hope 3 strikes a balance with the best of previous games, good, well designed core gameplay like Bayonetta 1 but the more straightforward and well designed chapters of 2 and everything I've seen so far just gives the impression they're going to nail it.
It looks promising, indeed, and it'll be interesting to see how it all comes together. I'm hoping it breaks away and becomes one that is generally liked along with the others.

But will it add another Bayo variation for SmashI, to go with the selection from 1 and 2?

How much of a heathen am I if I skip right to Bayonetta 3? I'm sure most people are gonna tell me not to, but I've tried playing Bayo 1 a handful of times and I'm struggling. From what I hear the 2nd game isn't as hard but man... makes me think I need to turn in my gamer card.

How much of a heathen am I if I skip right to Bayonetta 3? I'm sure most people are gonna tell me not to, but I've tried playing Bayo 1 a handful of times and I'm struggling. From what I hear the 2nd game isn't as hard but man... makes me think I need to turn in my gamer card.

Just read a plot synopsis and jump right in.

You ask this as though Bayonetta would be partiularly adverse to heathens.

I can't speak for different attributes of this new game, be they difficulty or story, but it looks as though it changes things up gameplaywise and I find it doubtful you'll absolutely need to play through the first two for the plot, which might or might not make a modicum of sense even if you were to play those.

Everything sounds and looks fantastic. 2022 really looks like it will be a fantastic year for the Switch when all is said and done.

October cannot come soon enough!

Despite what people are saying in this thread, Kamiya has actually repeatedly stated on Twitter that he HIGHLY recommends experiencing the first two before 3 for story reasons. I don’t see directors do that a lot, and I’m sure a recap would be fine, but just something to keep in mind.

Regarding B1, you’re not alone. You will die a lot and get almost all stone awards your first playthrough. It’s okay! The game is built on replayability and improving your score. If you stick with it, your scores will improve as you gain more health, combos, weapons, and simply practice. There’s no shame at all in just doing a first run and ending it with all stones. I did my first run and jumped back in like 2 years later and only then started to really dig into it. I consider it one of my favorite games of all time and haven’t even gotten to the hardest difficulty!

And yes, B2 is a much easier first playthrough I felt. And a much more forgiving score system too.

I highly recommend playing both games. Even if only for one playthrough, they’re both humorous, stylish, campy rollercoasters that are super enjoyable.

Despite what people are saying in this thread, Kamiya has actually repeatedly stated on Twitter that he HIGHLY recommends experiencing the first two before 3 for story reasons. I don’t see directors do that a lot, and I’m sure a recap would be fine, but just something to keep in mind.

Regarding B1, you’re not alone. You will die a lot and get almost all stone awards your first playthrough. It’s okay! The game is built on replayability and improving your score. If you stick with it, your scores will improve as you gain more health, combos, weapons, and simply practice. There’s no shame at all in just doing a first run and ending it with all stones. I did my first run and jumped back in like 2 years later and only then started to really dig into it. I consider it one of my favorite games of all time and haven’t even gotten to the hardest difficulty!

And yes, B2 is a much easier first playthrough I felt. And a much more forgiving score system too.

I highly recommend playing both games. Even if only for one playthrough, they’re both humorous, stylish, campy rollercoasters that are super enjoyable.
Excellent post there. It mirrors my experience, too. I had a lot of Stone Awards in my first playthrough of Bayonetta on PS3, then replayed it on the Wii U and did much better, but still had my share of Stone Awards. It didn't matter because I loved it. The same was true for Bayonetta 2 - I didn't think it was easier, but rather, I was a more seasoned player going into it. They wanted you to feel as if you were playing a tough boss from the first game from the beginning, and I felt they succeeded in places. 2 is an improvement on the first, in my opinion - It does away with the Quick Time Events and trollish moves, and makes for a more polished experience. It was my GOTY in 2014, and one of my all-time faves. Both games are solid 10/10 experiences for me, and the second playthroughs elevate them from the brilliant to the epic. Unlocking the new weapons and costumes is fun, and the Nintendo wardrobe was a nice touch.

A lot is made of the story. It isn't meant to be taken too seriously, although the lore was more compelling than it had any right to be. At their heart, they are more lengthy, contemporary reimaginings of the "High Score Game", and I would also put The Wonderful 101 in that class. @Ibuki - Do not worry about the Stone Awards. When you beat the bosses, especially the later ones, it will be so satisfying, and you'll be treated to some God-Tier boss fights. I would encourage you to persevere with both.

Last edited:

Honestly I think the stone awards were discouraging me quite a bit. Now that I know that is completely normal, it definitely makes me want to give it another shot.

Honestly I think the stone awards were discouraging me quite a bit. Now that I know that is completely normal, it definitely makes me want to give it another shot.
It’s absolutely normal and you definitely should!

I mean just look at it this way - in B1 deaths count a lot towards the awards. So if you fail a QTE even once you’re pretty much locked out of anything gold or higher I think lol. That’s on top of just dying in normal combat multiple times, which is totally understandable too with the less health and moveset options you have on a first run.

So yeah, don’t focus on the rankings at all on a first playthrough. Just go for them later if you feel inclined to keep digging in after.

It’s absolutely normal and you definitely should!

I mean just look at it this way - in B1 deaths count a lot towards the awards. So if you fail a QTE even once you’re pretty much locked out of anything gold or higher I think lol. That’s on top of just dying in normal combat multiple times, which is totally understandable too with the less health and moveset options you have on a first run.

So yeah, don’t focus on the rankings at all on a first playthrough. Just go for them later if you feel inclined to keep digging in after.
I've got Bayo 1 downloaded on my Switch, gonna give it a try pretty soon. I'd like to at least attempt to finish this and start 2 before 3 drops. That gives me just over a month. That should be plenty of time since I really don't think the games are all that long. Thanks for your encouragement! Any general tips you would give as far as which techniques to use or anything I should know re: Bayo 1?

I've got Bayo 1 downloaded on my Switch, gonna give it a try pretty soon. I'd like to at least attempt to finish this and start 2 before 3 drops. That gives me just over a month. That should be plenty of time since I really don't think the games are all that long. Thanks for your encouragement! Any general tips you would give as far as which techniques to use or anything I should know re: Bayo 1?
Honestly for a first playthrough, aside from what I mentioned above (don’t worry about rankings and dying a lot), it’s mainly typical action game stuff. Learn patterns to time dodges and all that. Pick your favorite combos and get used to the feel of them. Bayo has amazing gamefeel, it’s hard to explain. Once you get used to the combos it feels so stylish and smooth, like a dance.

In terms of techniques, definitely purchase the Bat Within once it becomes available (should be available after unlocking the Beast Within around Chapter 7). It adds a grace period to your dodges that allows for a dodge right as an enemy hits you.

There’s also a key mechanic the game bizarrely doesn’t tell you about it all called Dodge Offset, which is basically storing combos. Put simply - if you’re in the middle of a combo and need to dodge, hold the button you’re on in the combo while dodging at the same time then release it and keep doing the combo. This should allow you to continue the same combo instead of resetting it.

It’s the key mechanic that really brings together the combat for high level play. Not essential for a first playthrough so don’t worry too much about it, but it could help you out if you get used to it.

Also don’t feel like you’re doing something wrong if you’re dodging correctly and witch time doesn’t trigger. There are a couple of enemies in the game just immune to it. And there are certain setpieces that take place IN witch time, such as the second verse of the prologue, so dodging won’t trigger it there

Good news, I’ve began making progress in Bayo 1 again. I’m currently on Chapter 8. Letting go of ranks and just using items when I need them has freed me completely. Now I’m just enjoying the game and soaking everything in. I still get pretty repetitive with the combos but I’m okay with that.

Good news, I’ve began making progress in Bayo 1 again. I’m currently on Chapter 8. Letting go of ranks and just using items when I need them has freed me completely. Now I’m just enjoying the game and soaking everything in. I still get pretty repetitive with the combos but I’m okay with that.
Yay! So glad we were able to convince you, enjoy the ride!!

Yay! So glad we were able to convince you, enjoy the ride!!
I’m near the end of Chapter 10 as we speak. I’m making pretty good progress today. I hit a bit of a road block with the “use only wicked weave” challenge, but someone suggested to try the sword weapon and it was much easier for me. The funny part is that I kinda forgot you could change your weapon and didn’t try anything but the default. Are those challenges optional? It kinda seemed like it was encouraging me to complete it.

I’m near the end of Chapter 10 as we speak. I’m making pretty good progress today. I hit a bit of a road block with the “use only wicked weave” challenge, but someone suggested to try the sword weapon and it was much easier for me. The funny part is that I kinda forgot you could change your weapon and didn’t try anything but the default. Are those challenges optional? It kinda seemed like it was encouraging me to complete it.
Yes the Alfheim portal challenges are optional. If that was your first one, you’ve probably missed some already! They’re very well hidden.

You’ll need to do them if you end up going for high ranks, but otherwise completely optional.

I hope this will be closer to Bayo 1. 2 was too colorful and over the top. Button smashing and visual overkill.
A more thrilling story should help…

Hope I'm not too late, but an "easy" way to complete that challenge is to equip the katana and use the shortest combo (PKP) with Doge Offset, that way you can keep yourself away from the enemies and just hit them from a distance:
  1. Press Punch to start the attack and without letting it go, press Dodge. Bayonetta should start to do the punch animation (which moves her a bit forward) and cancel into a backwards dodge.
  2. Then, release the punch button and press the kick button to start a kick attack. Again, hold down the button and once the attack animation starts, do another dodge. Same as before, the attack moves Bayonetta forward, but the dodge will move you backwards again, so you'll keep away from the enemies.
  3. Release the kick and press the punch button to perform a Wicked Weave.
  4. Repeat :)
You can start by practicing Dodge Offset in an easier way: Equip the guns and hold down the punch button. Bayonetta will punch forward and then stay in place firing her guns. Press the dodge button without releasing punch and your next attack will continue the combo route. As you get better with this, you can start pressing dodge earlier into the attack so you can cancel the attack just as the animation starts and still keep the combo advancing.

I don't think I explained myself too well, so have this awesome video instead:

Hope I'm not too late, but an "easy" way to complete that challenge is to equip the katana and use the shortest combo (PKP) with Doge Offset, that way you can keep yourself away from the enemies and just hit them from a distance:
  1. Press Punch to start the attack and without letting it go, press Dodge. Bayonetta should start to do the punch animation (which moves her a bit forward) and cancel into a backwards dodge.
  2. Then, release the punch button and press the kick button to start a kick attack. Again, hold down the button and once the attack animation starts, do another dodge. Same as before, the attack moves Bayonetta forward, but the dodge will move you backwards again, so you'll keep away from the enemies.
  3. Release the kick and press the punch button to perform a Wicked Weave.
  4. Repeat :)
You can start by practicing Dodge Offset in an easier way: Equip the guns and hold down the punch button. Bayonetta will punch forward and then stay in place firing her guns. Press the dodge button without releasing punch and your next attack will continue the combo route. As you get better with this, you can start pressing dodge earlier into the attack so you can cancel the attack just as the animation starts and still keep the combo advancing.

I don't think I explained myself too well, so have this awesome video instead:

This is actually the same exact info that I read which lead to me beating it. I still appreciate your post though! Need to practice my dodge offset more, but I’m definitely improving. Made it to Chapter 12 now. Trucking right along!

EDIT: Thanks to everyone here who encouraged me and shared helpful info. I just finished the game and I absolutely loved it. The instant fail QTEs are terrible but beyond that I didn’t really have any complaints. Excited to start Bayo 2 now.

FdiXtPLaUAEQMCQ

Last edited:
I didn't see this before, but in this video you can see Malphas (3:47, link is timestamped):

It appears in the lower-left Demon Menu as well, so this confirms there will be more than the 3 demons we already knew about to be used as weapons, masquerades and summons.

Current confirmed demons and weapons:
  • Madama Butterfly: Guns
  • Gomorrah: Hammer-rifle
  • Phantasmaraneae: Disks attached to a string in a whip-like fashion
  • Malphas: Sword? (I remember watching a sword-like weapon in some footage, maybe a feather-like sword?)
Is there anything else I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom