• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Baten Kaitos I&II HD Remaster announced for Nintendo Switch, launching September 14th (out now!)

image00fca9.jpg

I love everything about the first game except the card battle system. Music especially since it was a rare example of Sakuraba not phoning it in and actually sounding inspired. Might give it another try though.

This looks incredible, does anyone know the artist for this key art?

guess we cant really know for sure till it actually comes out and we see the credits but probably Nakaba Higurashi(they were the original character designer for these games and the style looks similar and they do freelance work so easily could have worked on this)

speaking of which something random I just noticed on their twitter from like 16 hours before the direct

that tweet was out there all along from the games character designer and so many of us never even noticed 😅

Everyone who love Xenoblade is in for a very good journey here

I fondly think that under some aspect Baten Kaitos is even better than Takahashi output under Nintendo (cheers to Honne)

I hope there’s a physical copy here in the states

Card base gameplay has me interested. I’ve spoken my love for those types
Of games here before.

Yeah, this needs a nice physical copy. If nothing else than I can finally own Origins without having to pay the absurd $100+ price for it that the GameCube original goes for still.

So apparently this is missing the English dubs and is 30fps? I'm kind of spoiled by the speed up battles option I see in so many JRPGs nowadays too, which this sounds like it doesn't have.
I suppose since it's turn based it doesn't matter too much but apparently the English dub for II/Origins was good, so that's a shame.

I'm so glad this ended up being real, the key art gives me Kingdom Hearts ReMix vibes and it's evident that the UI/UX was designed by Monolith Soft... That being said, why weren't they credited for the remasters?
If the original game credits are in the game, they'll be there, but this is just how it goes with remaster marketing when the original developer isn't involved.

Do you think that a BK 3 is the reason for this release?
I kinda feel this is just Bandai Namco looking at Monolith Soft's current mindshare and the going price of the originals and thinking 'yeah, some Xenoblade fans will buy this'. I'm pretty sure they have the rights to put this on whatever platform they want (might be wrong, that's just my understanding), but they've kept it with Nintendo. I presume they believe their audience is here (though that admittedly is just true of JRPGs in general right now).

If anything, I'd expect success here to get them to just maybe reconsider Xenosaga.

So apparently this is missing the English dubs and is 30fps? I'm kind of spoiled by the speed up battles option I see in so many JRPGs nowadays too, which this sounds like it doesn't have.
I suppose since it's turn based it doesn't matter too much but apparently the English dub for II/Origins was good, so that's a shame.

There's battle speed options!

Battle speed: Choose from three options (100%, 200% and 300%)

I kinda feel this is just Bandai Namco looking at Monolith Soft's current mindshare and the going price of the originals and thinking 'yeah, some Xenoblade fans will buy this'. I'm pretty sure they have the rights to put this on whatever platform they want (might be wrong, that's just my understanding), but they've kept it with Nintendo. I presume they believe their audience is here (though that admittedly is just true of JRPGs in general right now).

If anything, I'd expect success here to get them to just maybe reconsider Xenosaga.
I think Nintendo funded Origin (or something along those lines) , so Bandai Namco can't really do that. I think it's a similar situation as with Bayonetta? But also, during the Direct they showed the copyright of Bandai Namco and Nintendo as well.

Anyway, I don't think this means we'll get a third game. But deep inside of me I'm still grieving to Baten Kaitos DS.

I've heard of this game and never played it, but from the looks of the trailer, the battle system looks like Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Can someone here confirm if this is the case (but done better)?

I've heard of this game and never played it, but from the looks of the trailer, the battle system looks like Sticker Star and Color Splash.

The cards are not consumables like the stickers in those games.

I gave up on Paper Mario many years ago, so I don't know how they compare. But in Baten Kaitos I remember my food card becoming rotten food after a while, or ice becoming water. It was cool.

a man can hope
Honne was pretty conspicuously absent from Xenoblade 3 despite moving back to Monolith’s Tokyo team, and to my knowledge he hasn’t left or been fired. Something fishy is definitely up if he ends up not being credited for these remasters either, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that something ended up being Baten Kaitos 3.

Honne was pretty conspicuously absent from Xenoblade 3 despite moving back to Monolith’s Tokyo team, and to my knowledge he hasn’t left or been fired. Something fishy is definitely up if he ends up not being credited for these remasters either, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that something ended up being Baten Kaitos 3.
Has Honne cropped up in the special thanks for any EPD titles recently? It's possible the Wikipedia page is out of date, but his last credit there is XBC 2. He is certainly still at the company, so it's possible he's heading up a new game (not necessarily Baten Kaitos - there's some LinkedIn evidence Monolith Soft are indeed working on an unannounced action game).

Has Honne cropped up in the special thanks for any EPD titles recently? It's possible the Wikipedia page is out of date, but his last credit there is XBC 2. He is certainly still at the company, so it's possible he's heading up a new game (not necessarily Baten Kaitos - there's some LinkedIn evidence Monolith Soft are indeed working on an unannounced action game).
MobyGames has a credit for him from 2020, but it’s a “Special Thanks to original staff” credit from XC1 Definitive Edition. Other than that, nothing. Only time will tell if he’s credited for either Baten Kaitos remaster or Tears of the Kingdom. If he’s AWOL from those projects, then he’s 100% working on something else.

Is the action game actually (potentially) real? I thought it was either just a way to backdoor hire for ToTK and/or Xenoblade 3 or it got canned. Would be awesome if it were real, though. I don’t think Monolith has the size to take on a fourth major project, so if it’s real I’d imagine that’s what Honne’s been working on instead of Baten Kaitos 3 (RIP).

MobyGames has a credit for him from 2020, but it’s a “Special Thanks to original staff” credit from XC1 Definitive Edition. Other than that, nothing. Only time will tell if he’s credited for either Baten Kaitos remaster or Tears of the Kingdom. If he’s AWOL from those projects, then he’s 100% working on something else.

Is the action game actually (potentially) real? I thought it was either just a way to backdoor hire for ToTK and/or Xenoblade 3 or it got canned. Would be awesome if it were real, though. I don’t think Monolith has the size to take on a fourth major project, so if it’s real I’d imagine that’s what Honne’s been working on instead of Baten Kaitos 3 (RIP).
Somebody who joined Monolith Soft in 2022 (as per LinkedIn) is working on an unannounced action game with them - their previous work includes things like FF7R and Fable 2 and 3.

guess we cant really know for sure till it actually comes out and we see the credits but probably Nakaba Higurashi(they were the original character designer for these games and the style looks similar and they do freelance work so easily could have worked on this)

speaking of which something random I just noticed on their twitter from like 16 hours before the direct

that tweet was out there all along from the games character designer and so many of us never even noticed 😅

I'm glad they kept the same character designer. She's definitely changed her style, though.

So is it confirmed that the english dub won't be included cuz man that would suck so much. Also this being a Bandai Namco release (not published by Nintendo) kinda scares me after all I've been hearing about tales of symphonia.

Still, from my experience Namco has done some amazing ports tho. Kakarot, Fighterz, Xenoverse, Naruto trilogy and God Eater were all great and I heard good things about some of their other ports too. But I just don't know, I'm kinda mad that they would release this without the amazing Baten Kaitos english intro. "Who cares" I do, Namco. I really care.

So is it confirmed that the english dub won't be included cuz man that would suck so much. Also this being a Bandai Namco release (not published by Nintendo) kinda scares me after all I've been hearing about tales of symphonia.

Still, from my experience Namco has done some amazing ports tho. Kakarot, Fighterz, Xenoverse, Naruto trilogy and God Eater were all great and I heard good things about some of their other ports too. But I just don't know, I'm kinda mad that they would release this without the amazing Baten Kaitos english intro. "Who cares" I do, Namco. I really care.
The games are being remastered at least with support from Monolith Soft and the IP is co-owned by Nintendo. This won't be a Tales of Symphonia situation.

Somebody who joined Monolith Soft in 2022 (as per LinkedIn) is working on an unannounced action game with them - their previous work includes things like FF7R and Fable 2 and 3.
That's super intriguing, but I can't see how BK is an "action game" though. It could be Zelda, but who knows what that mystery BN action game remaster for Nintendo job post was for.

That's super intriguing, but I can't see how BK is an "action game" though. It could be Zelda, but who knows what that mystery BN action game remaster for Nintendo job post was for.
I'm not saying that job listing referred to Baten Kaitos. It could be Zelda or an unannounced game like a new IP.

As a JRPG fan, Switch has been such an amazing barrage of content that it's unreal. I can't wait to replay Baten Kaitos and play the sequel/prequel for the first time.

Just got an e-mail from Amazon to tell me that they have an updated delivery estimate for Baten Kaitos, it went from « TBA » to « October 6th - 9th ». It might be nothing but it seems very specific, so maybe the game will be released in the first week of October

IMG-9405.jpg

Back
Top Bottom