• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Baby Steps, Recognizing the efforts of the industry towards Diversity.

garf02

Tektite
Pronouns
He
1st of all, There still A LOT of work to be done, by this I mean, having AAA games with main lead characters as Dark Skinned/ Black/ African American without just being a thug (looking at you San Andreas) but I feel often that not, the efforts developers/ Publishers do get ignored as if they didnt exist just cause they are not full on Paradigm shifts. So I wanted to make a thread to highly this baby steps, its not the end goal, but have to start from somewhere.

On Top of My Head

Nintendo
*Xenoblade X's Character Customization: Skin Tone/ Gender
*Xenobalde X Elma (Main Lead ignore your OG DONT STEAL Character)
*Fire Emblem 3 House's Claude Being 1 of the 3 Lord/ Routes
*Ring Fit Adventure's Character customization: Skin Tone/ Gender
*Animal Crossing New Horizon's Character Customization: Skin Tone/ Gender
*Splatoon 2's Marina, 1 of the 2 Main Idols
*Splantoon 2-3 Characters Customization: Skin Tones/ Gender (3 goes with Neutral)
*ARMS: Min Min, Twintelle, Misango
*Wonderful 101: Wonder Black, Wonder White, A lot of other W101 being native to different countries, ethnicities (also Maybe this fit more as under Platinum Games)
*Pokemon Sword and Shield: Champion (Leon), Rival (Hop), Gym Leaders (Nessa, Bea, Raihan)
*Pokemon Sword and Shield Character's Customization: Skin Tone/ Gender
*LoZ: Sky Sword: Impa
*LoZ: BotW Urbosa being the Second Strongest Champion after Link (Personally I think she is stronger than him but Link was the Appointed Knight of Zelda)

Sony:
Spider man: Miles Morales

Ubisoft:
Assassins Creed 3: Connor
Assassins Creed Origins: Bayek

Sega:
Yakuza: Like a Dragon Ichiban Kasuga

Personally, I dont see any Developer/ Publisher swapping established characters any time soon, so the best chance for direct representation in Main Roles, would be new Franchises, that being said there is also lot of Potential in stablished franchises that spew out new casts for newer Entries (and this is spread in several genres of games)
Example of Potential series: Persona, Dragon Quests, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Pikmin, Final Fantasy, Tales,

Your thread title made me think this was going to be about hiring more than representation. And honestly I think hiring is far more important. Representation is great, but if your game about strong women of color is made by a primarily white studio with sexual harassment issues, any sense of progress is just lip service and misleads your audience about the kind of people making the game and the values they really hold.

Back
Top Bottom