• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Avatar: The Way of Water |ST| In Theaters Dec 16

FrigidHairyBorer-max-1mb.gif

I'm so hyped!

I was really "meh" on the first Avatar ever since 2009 but when I rewatched it earlier this year I gained a whole new appreciation for it. I loved the gorgeous worldbuilding and the bold unapologetic political stances it took (something this anti-American-military right after the Bush era was incredibly brave to put into a mass appeal blockbuster and I respect it so much for that). We really need this type of visionary blockbuster filmmaking again.

I was pleasantly surprised (and a bit relieved) that I still loved the first one after seeing it in theaters last September for the re-release.

It's crazy watching it with ten years of anti-American sentiment growing within me and having it resonate more because of that.

I feel like as long as the sequels will:

• hold to the anti fascism overtones
  • continue with the indulgent worldbuilding
  • surprise us with cutting edge visuals

then I'll be on board, day one, for Avatars 2-5. Lol

I was pleasantly surprised (and a bit relieved) that I still loved the first one after seeing it in theaters last September for the re-release.

It's crazy watching it with ten years of anti-American sentiment growing within me and having it resonate more because of that.

I feel like as long as the sequels will:

• hold to the anti fascism overtones
  • continue with the indulgent worldbuilding
  • surprise us with cutting edge visuals

then I'll be on board, day one, for Avatars 2-5. Lol
I'm planning on watching the extended edition for the first time ever this week 👀

New trailer, didn’t see it posted. Looks incredible as expected. After rewatching the first one and enjoying it immensely my girlfriend and I are getting really excited for Way of Water.

God damn this is a good looking movie

Also

THEY KEPT THAT SHOT IN THE TRAILER

1669147284245.png

Yeah, the social media reactions are rolling in. They're (mostly) extremely positive so far. You always have to take early social media buzz with a grain of salt, but my hype continues to increase!

Most of the impressions are omega positive but then again these things are always hyperbolic. I'll only trust Kojima's early take, assuming he was invited to a screening.

Yeah, the social media reactions are rolling in. They're (mostly) extremely positive so far. You always have to take early social media buzz with a grain of salt, but my hype continues to increase!
Ehrlich's a legitimate critic that I respect, even if he's a bit of a crank.

Ehrlich's a legitimate critic that I respect, even if he's a bit of a crank.
Yup, the legitimate critics are the ones I'm keeping tabs on! Can't believe he adored it - pretty sure he was fine with the original Avatar but not looking forward to sequels.

Yup, the legitimate critics are the ones I'm keeping tabs on! Can't believe he adored it - pretty sure he was fine with the original Avatar but not looking forward to sequels.
Yeah, impressing Ehrlich in the blockbuster space is not terribly easy.

The Telegraph, Guardian, and British GQ are all outlets who appear to have not enjoyed The Way of Water, but those respective critics didn't like the original Avatar either. Everything else I've seen is either liking the movie, loving the movie, or thinking it's one of the best blockbusters in a long time

That song teased by The Weeknd is only gonna play over the credits but I can't wait to stick around for every second (and if it does play during the action sequences, hot damn even better!)

It seems that the best filmmaker alive did it again. I suppose that this movie will make seem Avatar 1 look like a 2:40hrs prologue, at that's fine.

Already have my tickets for next Thursday, can´t wait.

Hmm I’d really like to see this but it’s poor release timing with covid numbers… I’ll probably wait till I’m back from holiday travel to keep family safe

Reviews are making it sound like a T2 kind of change compared to the original. T2 is the GOAT action movie so I'm fine with that.

Just watched it.
Better than I expected in terms of graphics and visual experience. Damn. I saw it in IMAX 3D with HFR. It was shockingly real. It must be seen in theatres.

I have some qualms with the story, characters and pacing, but altogether it was serviceable for just how jaw-droppingly incredible the visuals are. Holy.

Just watched it.
Better than I expected in terms of graphics and visual experience. Damn. I saw it in IMAX 3D with HFR. It was shockingly real. It must be seen in theatres.

I have some qualms with the story, characters and pacing, but altogether it was serviceable for just how jaw-droppingly incredible the visuals are. Holy.

I heard about the part where Neytiri domes a dude through another dude and I cannot wait to see that lol

Watching this on Sunday over lunch, was the only IMAX showing my girlfriend and I could make so it better be worth it!

I live in a country without a single cinema. Now I'm wondering... am I really going to travel to the US to watch this film?

I have to find some other stuff to pack in to this trip to make it worth it, but I need to see this on the big screen...

movie’s earnest and dorky as hell, bro. it’s an absolutely astounding technical achievement and the last hour is peak Cameron. I’ll probably end up watching it again this week.

Avatar 2 was a capital M "Movie", but the storyline was a lowercase m "meh."

I'll still see it again, tho

Think about it this way..... Kiri is Eywa's avatar

Yup I got that impression as well (i mean it is really obvious) and the most important role in the war to come. Which will also bring the title for the saga full circle, beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom