• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key announced, coming March 24th, 2023 for Nintendo Switch, Playstation and Steam

Looking good!

Slightly concerned by the trailer saying there were 11 characters that could join your team, thats a lot of S-rank weapons and armor to make!

Question as someone who's only played about half of Ryza 1: Is the battle system the same in 2? That was the thing I was most iffy about in the game, I didn't like the real-time elements of it too much. Seemed like it should've just been turn-based.

Question as someone who's only played about half of Ryza 1: Is the battle system the same in 2? That was the thing I was most iffy about in the game, I didn't like the real-time elements of it too much. Seemed like it should've just been turn-based.
Still real time, but a little more involved.

great, my favourite sub-saga
Can't wait to see how the exploration and the combat have been improved over the (already pretty good) second episode)

I found the battle system in 2 to be more fun than the system in 1, however the battle system is supposed to encourage you to create new and more powerful weapons and items. Creating and refining better and higher quality items is the key to battling.

I found the battle system in 2 to be more fun than the system in 1, however the battle system is supposed to encourage you to create new and more powerful weapons and items. Creating and refining better and higher quality items is the key to battling.
Oh that part was fine! I just remember finding the real time elements, and some of the timing of commands and when to do things, to be kind of clunky. But that's just from memory and it's been years since I played it, so I could be misremembering

This looked neat, for fans, could I start here?
Probably yes, Koei have refined the Atelier formula with each Ryza game, so I have no doubt that Ryza 3 will be the most newcomer friendly, as Ryza 2 was more accessible than Ryza 1, and Ryza 1 was probably the most newcomer friendly Atelier game in the whole series up to that point.

Of course you won't know the backstory of the characters or what has happened, but they aren't really the kind of games that you need to know about that, they are about kids growing up and finding their way in the world.

Probably yes, Koei have refined the Atelier formula with each Ryza game, so I have no doubt that Ryza 3 will be the most newcomer friendly, as Ryza 2 was more accessible than Ryza 1, and Ryza 1 was probably the most newcomer friendly Atelier game in the whole series up to that point.

Of course you won't know the backstory of the characters or what has happened, but they aren't really the kind of games that you need to know about that, they are about kids growing up and finding their way in the world.

Ahh that sounds great . This really might be my first foray.

Oh that part was fine! I just remember finding the real time elements, and some of the timing of commands and when to do things, to be kind of clunky. But that's just from memory and it's been years since I played it, so I could be misremembering
Hmmmm, I don't want to bulldoze over what you say and say you are wrong etc, but if I did have something to say about the battle system in 1, its that you kind of need to see it as a rhythm game, that is to say you need to understand and realise the rhythm of the battle and what is about to happen, and once it finally "clicks" with you, the battles go much smoother and easier.

Also, whilst it would be easier if the battles were turn based, it would also take out a lot of the challenge, and to be honest would make the battles much more boring.

Besides, once you have the right weapons and items, battles are over pretty much instantly.

This looked neat, for fans, could I start here?
Yeah, KT usually make so all the games are standalone. Granted this one you follow the original party members for all the 3 games so sarting with 3 you may loose some context on their relations, but it's nothing that complex and they sometimes add like short versions of what happened in the past

Hmmmm, I don't want to bulldoze over what you say and say you are wrong etc, but if I did have something to say about the battle system in 1, its that you kind of need to see it as a rhythm game, that is to say you need to understand and realise the rhythm of the battle and what is about to happen, and once it finally "clicks" with you, the battles go much smoother and easier.

Also, whilst it would be easier if the battles were turn based, it would also take out a lot of the challenge, and to be honest would make the battles much more boring.

Besides, once you have the right weapons and items, battles are over pretty much instantly.
I might have to give it another shot at some point, I did mostly enjoy what I played of it. I just don't think I ever entirely grasped the combat, maybe. Or at least it didn't quite click with me. Might jump back in down the line! But there are so many other JRPGs to play, might be pretty far down the line, lol.

I need to get back to the first game. Played about 10 hours of it and really dug it but then new games came out and the usual happens lol

Theres a 7 minute explaining new things in Ryza 3. Also they mention the Ryza series has shipped 1.3 million copies now, making the most popular series now (Sophie had the record before)

I'm looking forward to Ryza 3, won't watch any more trailers or the like, as they always show way too much.

Saying that though, unless I can get the physical version for something like $40, I am just going to be patient and wait for one of the regular Atelier eshop sales.

Was about to post the video and as usual, the switch version is looking great , remember this when they tell you open world don't perform well on switch.

Also patty is back!

It literally does lol, the footage in my previous post was from the switch version. As usual grass, and shadows take some hits but it keeps the Gust quality
Yeah, I still don't get how two games made in a similar timeframe can be so different in terms of polish.

Game Freak's incompetence strikes again.

Yeah, I still don't get how two games made in a similar timeframe can be so different in terms of polish.

Game Freak's incompetence strikes again.
While that's a part, it's also important to recognize that Gust definitely took it time to understood the hardware and do a lot of optimization, that not even other games from KT have. They really love it and it shows as each new Atelier release has ben closing the gap between the switch and Ps4 version in first week sales. I'm guessing their base development is made on switch

Atelier Switch games improved quality wise one game after the other
It doesn't surprise me (considering how close KT and IS have been) that Gust was chosen to manage the graphical department of Engage

Two more days until the last part of Ryza's story comes out, I replayed Ryza 1 recently, and I had forgotten the chill summer vibe that it has.

Ryza 3 having eleven party members is quite a lot, especially if you want them to each have the best and highest quality weapons/armour.

I hope item duplication makes its return, it makes synthesis so much easier and more fun.

How the hell does Gust pull-off a much better open RPG than Game Freak with less than half the budget and similar development time?

Don't answer, I already know.

the most impressive part so far is that they have been able to have a comparable output in terms of almost-yearly release schedule for Atelier on Switch, not only with ports but also with brand new episodes
all with improving quality in terms of visuals and performances and a constant path of "modernization" of the formula (with a more dynamic ATB for combat, with a more open-world-ish exploration, with a more cinematic approach to cutscenes and so on)

Gust Switch approach and results is something pretty meaningful imho

As expected of Gust, give them more time and the will still do their magic.
How the hell does Gust pull-off a much better open RPG than Game Freak with less than half the budget and similar development time?

Don't answer, I already know.
the most impressive part so far is that they have been able to have a comparable output in terms of almost-yearly release schedule for Atelier on Switch, not only with ports but also with brand new episodes
all with improving quality in terms of visuals and performances and a constant path of "modernization" of the formula (with a more dynamic ATB for combat, with a more open-world-ish exploration, with a more cinematic approach to cutscenes and so on)

Gust Switch approach and results is something pretty meaningful imho
There is also the fact that KT does put money in the engine area too, having the new Katana Engine being constantly developed and updated means Gust can work faster and better on the optimization.

Also the Rpgfan quote, damn
The scale of Atelier Ryza 3ā€™s world rivals that of notable open-world games such as Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Elden Ring.

As expected of Gust, give them more time and the will still do their magic.

There is also the fact that KT does put money in the engine area too, having the new Katana Engine being constantly developed and updated means Gust can work faster and better on the optimization.

Also the Rpgfan quote, damn

You are right
about the RPG quote: that sounds a little bit too much, from my walkthrough so far, but surely it is open, it is fairly big, it is freely explorable
so, it surely is a very good job, well done
I also like the "non-transition" from the explroation to the combat "view"/interface

You are right
about the RPG quote: that sounds a little bit too much, from my walkthrough so far, but surely it is open, it is fairly big, it is freely explorable
so, it surely is a very good job, well done
I also like the "non-transition" from the explroation to the combat "view"/interface
The non transtition was already a thing in Sophie 2 and it was very impressive even in switch which was instantly

The non transtition was already a thing in Sophie 2 and it was very impressive even in switch which was instantly

Oh yeah, I think that the "Ryza" trilogy is a very solid and good-looking example of how you should continue implementing new modern aspects/improving your brand, even with "almost-yearly-iterations"

We Atelier fans eating right now. And then Marie in July!

AUiNE9c.gif

I find it baffling the lack of covers on Youtube for Atelier music since the franchise as a whole is a treasure trove of bangers

About the game, it'll be a long wait here in Brazil until my sister from Ireland brings my LE šŸ„ŗ

how does this run on Switch? I don't get too picky about fps or framerate on switch. I want to play portable too. I just want to make sure like the switch version isn't super buggy like some occasional switch multiplatform ports.

how does this run on Switch? I don't get too picky about fps or framerate on switch. I want to play portable too. I just want to make sure like the switch version isn't super buggy like some occasional switch multiplatform ports.

They did a comparison here:
https://themakoreactor.com/featured...w-graphics-performance-comparisons-ps4/48562/

It seems to be the usual, 30 FPS on switch vs 60 on PS5, and slightly reduced settings. Not a big deal imo, and playing portable enrich these games to me. And Ryza 2 looked amazing on TV also, so its not that you are loosing a lot if you choose switch. Gust has truly become one of the best regarding switch ports, I would say they use switch as the base platform to develop.

Back
Top Bottom