• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion ARMS was released 5 years ago

LukasManak22

who the fuck is that
Yes, ARMS is a half decade old year now wtf.

Since it's release it has sold over 2m+ units. In my opinion it's hugely underrated, yes it had very little of content at launch and story mode is basically non-existent.
Still it's characters and setting is just too good for one game, maybe on the successor after Mario Kart 9 releases?

Also, the music rocks.

Quite possibly the worst Nintendo theme I've ever heard, the "football chant" style vocals are beyond irritating.

phiTggj.gif

Me and my wife absolutely adored it at launch. We played it together and had a loooot of fun. Hoping for a sequel with more varied content, deeper gameplay and more characters.

It is ridiculous how good the sound design is in this game.

I agree it's underrated!! Love it, spent as much time on it as I did on Splatoon 2 during that first year of Switch.
It's still one of the best looking games on the switch, the artstyles great. It's also really accessible and as someone who's crap at fighting games I like that i can hold my own in this one. I suck at Smash Bros too and keep getting sucked in to the hype but ARMS is the one for me

One of favorite games on Switch.

-Best character designs of any new Nintendo game
-Gameplay was lacking depth but was still pretty fun and somewhat unique for an arena fighter
-Online is probably the best out of any Nintendo game with multiplayer and even better than most fighters out there amazingly that don’t have rollback
-Lobby system was one of best for any fighting game as well

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite games to play when on the treadmill.

Put on a pair of weighted gloves, grab a set of joy-cons, jump into Party Match multiplayer, and try not to dodge myself off the side of the treadmill.

Also, the music rocks.

My favorite thing about ARMS is and remains the music. I haven't played that game since 2017 and I could still hum the main song.

This game was also the precise moment I realized primarily multiplayer games (either couch co-coop or online) are mostly no longer for me. I just don't have anyone to play games with anymore.

I enjoyed it at the time, but there wasn't much else to play when it was released. Now there are thousands of games, I don't play it any more. Had a go on it a month or so ago and was bored quickly.

Arms is great. Should get back into it. Great character designs and amazing music. Better than a lot of Nintendo soundtracks this generation which is saying something.

Still one of my favorite games on the Switch. I played a round of it last night and it was still fun as ever.

My one hope is that they announce a sequel at the next Direct.

First things first: This game should NOT have chased the Splatoon drip-feed format as it did more harm than good.

With that said...this game is cool, but I never really saw the gameplay as something to hook me for a long period of time. The demos were fun though.

Still dig the art style, music and character designs and I think it's still one of the best looking and running Nintendo games on the Switch.

I love the style, setting, characters, and music. Basically I love everything except for the actual gameplay. I just personally don't find controlling these characters fun, not in any control scheme. I would love to see a sequel that streamlines things and adds more substance, though.

The game was fun, but didn't have any legs (ba-dum tsshhh). No real story mode, no real side content, just mainly PVP that was somewhat limited in terms of scope. ARMS 2 could be good, but they need to bring more content to the table.

Min Min is still best girl btw

The game was fun, but didn't have any legs (ba-dum tsshhh). No real story mode, no real side content, just mainly PVP that was somewhat limited in terms of scope. ARMS 2 could be good, but they need to bring more content to the table.

Min Min is still best girl btw
Yeah a proper Story Mode is exactly what ARMS needed, and I don't see any way a sequel does well without it. But it's also exactly the sort of thing that Nintendo wouldn't be interested in doing, which is infuriating.

Hopefully it get the sequel it deserves. We will see I’m not holding my breath though.

Stunning visuals - some of Nintendos best characters
Stellar soundtrack - theme is goat level good.

But sadly game got old quite fast. Good fun for a couple of hours, especially with the joycons - but quickly went to the shelf to never leave it again.

This game had so much potential and sold very well for a new IP there was even a comic I was really looking forward to and then they cancelled it wonder what happened

Fantastic soundtrack and character design was top notch. Unfortunately the game did not offer a lot in terms of content. Still I hope we get a meaty sequel.

Fond memories of getting my ass handed to me by Gore back on G*F.

I’d love to see an ARMS sequel one day. The game is full of lovable characters, and the overall world created is so enjoyable and easily digestible. It would be a shame to see it left on the floor when there are so many great ideas that can be expanded on.

One of the most original things Nintendo's put out in the entire Switch generation

We need more new IPs beyond hardware gimmick games like Labo and RingFit

It's my favorite Nintendo IP of the last decade. Great fun (especially in local multiplayer), excellent music, amazing character designs. I want more.

I really wanted that comic series. I do hope we get another round on the next platform. I'll never forget seeing Twintelle sipping tea for the first time.

I love the style, setting, characters, and music. Basically I love everything except for the actual gameplay. I just personally don't find controlling these characters fun, not in any control scheme. I would love to see a sequel that streamlines things and adds more substance, though.
This + lack of any significant single player content meant this game was a wash for me. Min-Min is fun in Smash at least.

Visually Arms is probably one of the best things nintendo has ever done. I hope they do a sequel or something that gets more attention

I loved the art style and world for this game. Would love to see Nintendo do something else in this art style.

Played a ton of this when I first got my Switch. Really hope there's a sequel (maybe bandai namco could develop it) and that they decides to add more depth to the combat. Also Twintelle should've been the one added to Smash since she was clearly the most talked about. Now that doesn't mean she's the coolest cuz everybody knows Lola Pop is the true MVP.

Btw, it's pretty crazy that the Mario Kart team has been MIA for 5 whole year. Map remakes and MK mobile support can't be the majority of their work, right?

Quite possibly the worst Nintendo theme I've ever heard, the "football chant" style vocals are beyond irritating.

phiTggj.gif
The fact that they reuse the same melody over and over, when the melody really isn't constructed well for different styles(see the Mario World theme), was a big oof. Especially in a multiplayer game. Imagine if every track of Mariokart 8 was using the same melody over and over. That's really no good. It works pretty well in single player, but hell no for multiplayer.

ARMS is a game I wish I played more, but don't have the most desire to go back to. All the added characters don't shore up a game that doesn't have much meat on the bone. That's honestly something you can say for most of the "finish it later" Nintendo games. A shame since, like most others here, I love the characters and style of ARMS.

Also, to all of you slandering the ARMS music...nope, sorry, can't agree. I love it.

Best thing about the game is that nintendo made a tournament before the game released and Yabuki was the final boss and just beated the crap out of the the guy who reached finals. Wish Sakurai did that too using one hand.
Hope Arms gets some love in the future!

Back
Top Bottom