• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

I've just been alerted to an anime about golf, Birdie Wing I think it's called? And I'm like, I gotta seek this out.
It’s awesome. And gay. And Gundam. And cliffhanger of what was obviously 2 Cours split into 2 seasons a year apart. But it’s back in April!

I've just been alerted to an anime about golf, Birdie Wing I think it's called? And I'm like, I gotta seek this out.
“An anime about golf” is a technically accurate description.

But a better way to describe Birdie Wing is:

Birdie-Wing-Golf-Girls-Story-Episode-1-Eve-Aggressive-Drive.gif

Birdie-Wing-Golf-Girls-Story-Episode-1-Incredible-Straight-Shot.gif

Huh, wonder if it’s going to continue straight off (spoiler) the stinger with the idol wannabe plotting to kill Odokawa.

Interesting! I was into the part 4 cast more. Partly because I think Giorno was somewhat boring, though his theme song is banging.
I liked Giorno a lot because he honestly reminds me of Jonathan quick witted and good natured but also ruthless.

Let me just paraphrase an interaction in The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten here:

Girl: “You think you can distract me by patting my head?”

Guy: “I’m sorry, you didn’t like it?”

Girl: “… I didn’t tell you to stop.”

Meanwhile, me watching these two dorks:

e10eff3a2493d9d2a643ed894c745340.gif

Goddamit, finally happened in Kaina "I KNOW HOW TO READ! WE CAN SAVE THE WORLD!" and then they finish it. Going to be a long week.

I also found interesting the way they can actually survive as a civilization without the concept of letters or words. I would assume it would be a logical step in expanding the culture, and at some point someone would be like "we need a way to preserve our knowledge"

I also found interesting the way they can actually survive as a civilization without the concept of letters or words
The phrasing for that part really was weird, because they should have some form of writing system since we do see paper documents here and there. I’m assuming it’s more that no one remembers how to read those not-kanji on the wall-rugs.

But yeah, literacy will save the world. Hell yeah.

shinichiro-watanabe.png

Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) has a new film on the way (animation by MAPPA) later this year.
Getting some Strand genre vibes from the poster tbh.

The phrasing for that part really was weird, because they should have some form of writing system since we do see paper documents here and there. I’m assuming it’s more that no one remembers how to read those not-kanji on the wall-rugs.

Yeah, I watched it again and the king clearly has some type of documentation. As you mention I think they meant they are not familiar with the concept of ideograms (like a kanji would be) rather than "letters" but this doesn't translate very well in the subs

Everyone’s watching Attack on Titan, in here we’re talking about Gundam…

… and I’m just sat here thinking about Bunny Girl Senpai. The films can’t come soon enough. And the manga needs to hurry up and get them married off.

Don’t piss me about Kamoshida.

Welp they really made sure in this chapter of Kaina to explain that they don't have any form of writing tradition. So now I imagine the king looking at the papers and it just has drawings like a town and a tree and enemies lol

FYI April is cour 2 of season 1
I don't think so? Official sources all call it season 2. Could be semantics but I was working of the assumption this would be a 24 episode show, would love to be wrong though.

I was incredibly pumped to see DVDs for season two and three of Kaguya get a release date - even as a new fan who's not had to wait too long, it brought me immense joy. The dub too!

Then I realised I'm in the UK and cannot get them. Big sad.

Praying for a release this side of the pond. I'll pay whatever I have to, to own them. I have to believe!

Going on a catching up spree since I am behind on every seasonal anime, and I just got around to finishing To Your Eternity s2!

I liked it even more than s1 eventhough it had a drop in animation quality, especially the last 4/5 episodes were amazing!!

I'm so glad to see it's already greenlit for s3!

Now to catch up on like 20+ other shows I haven't kept up with for like 6 weeks. 🤪

Started reading 20th Century Boys, half through vol 2 at the moment. How this never got an anime series? I'll never know.

Hopefully one day a streaming service will foot the bill for one.

Excited we are getting a third season of Re:Zero! Was just thinking about this yesterday lol.

It’s been a slower month or so in the world of anime for me.

I obviously waxed lyrical about Kaguya and I’ve spent the last month or so rewatching all three seasons with my wife. She really enjoyed it. I miss it already.

BUT!

We both agreed it was time to start the final stretch of Spy Family. Said it before, but to give some context - we both really liked the first season/part. We enjoyed the start of second season/part two, before feeling it became a bit aimless and dull.

We left off at episode 22, just before the tennis episode/s. Today, after weeks, we polished off episode 22 and 23.

And wow, that is more like it. I had an inkling Nightfall was going to inject some life into the show and this felt like the Spy Family I fell for many months back.

Episodes with one continuous storyline, that were perfectly paced and full of good action and humour. It was built on the pretence of moving the plot along, even if the eventual reveal is a gag. It felt meaningful.

We stopped just before it got good again in my opinion!

With the season basically done, I’ll write up a longer post. Definitely a weird one for me. I didn’t end up having too much extra time for anime so I stuck with the ones I decided to watch mostly from the start, but delays and my decision to switch to an English dub for one complicated it.

I guess the big one to talk about for me would be My Hero Academia Season 6. While not as exciting as the huge battles in the first half I was engaged throughout and dug the main antagonist even if they weren’t around too long. Seeing Deku take on the world himself was cool even if it didn’t last. This was probably my favorite season overall since the first two and a half even if it was messy at parts.

The other larger show to talk about was Trails of Cold Steel Northern War. Aside from episode 3 which was weird (not in a bad way, just odd) I’ve been enjoying this one. It’s set between Cold Steel II and III and you should really play the first seven games at least which makes it impossible to casually recommend, but for a fan of the games there’s some very cool stuff here tucked in between some ok-ish stuff. They frustratingly didn’t get the English VA’s for Rean and Altina (despite announcing them beforehand :/ ) but there were certainly a few returning VAs which was cool. I still have to wait two weeks to see it fully through with the English dub, but I’m happy I checked this one out despite the production being quite shaky in parts. If nothing else, I’ll never forget some guy in it was called The Aurora Phenomenon which is easily the most goofy Trails title yet lol.

The rest are quicker to talk about. Nijiyon was solid actually for what it was. For anime only people like myself, the large Nijigasaki cast always needed more screen time which they got here. Some episodes were better than others, but given they were three minutes long it was hardly an investment. Nier Automata I fell off with the production collapse which uh I guess worked out since it happened again, but I do plan to watch it eventually. I never did keep up with Trigun after enjoying the first two episodes, so perhaps I’ll do that in the gap between seasons. I did watch one other show to completion this season and it was my overall favorite, but there’s uh a lot with that one good and bad so I’ll skip discussing it.

Looking forward to Dr. Stone, Gundam, and Megumin’s show at least next season.

Trigun Stampede just finished and in the end I thought it was a great show with a strong ending... and a fun hint for where it is continuing to go in its second series... If you're curious about it, don't listen to the armchair critics, and check it out - One of the stronger shows I've seen for a while.

NieR Automata anime is exceeding my expectations but I have no doubt people are falling off with the delays.

Vinland Saga has been slow (but obviously the arc from the manga was like this too) but seems to be getting to the pointy end now so it will be interesting to see where it goes.

Hugely excited for this. Bunny Girl Senpai is a special show for me, so I can’t wait to return to that world. Mai and Sakuta are a top tier couple and wonderful characters.

I seem to have relaxed into ‘romcom mode’ in recent months and I continued that last night when I watched the first five episodes of My Dress-Up Darling.

It‘s quite an interesting show for me that does a lot that I like, but also makes me feel old!

I adore that Gojo is passionate about dolls. It’s unusual, but really cool. And I love how his craft brings him into contact with Marin who shares a similar passion. The two have nice chemistry and while the ‘socially awkward boy paired with head-strong girl’ is a trope we’re all familiar with it, it works really well.

I also really enjoyed when they went to the cosplay event, because while I have no interest in that hobby myself, I love that people do. Their passion is infectious. I think it’s rad that people feel so close to their favourite characters that they want to go that extra mile. It’s awesome to see.

It’s such an easy watch too. The pacing is really good and you just kind of… ride the wave through each episode.

It‘s a sweet show, with a nice, if familiar, couple at the heart of it and I can see why it became so popular.

So how does it make me feel old? Well, it feels like a love story written for my younger self.

On one hand, Gojo fulfils the role as a ‘self insert‘ MC who I imagine many young teen boys/men can relate to. He has interests that fall out of step with the mainstream and he feels alone as a result. He struggles to make friends and lives in his own little world.

And on the other hand, Marin - the hottest girl in school, who just happens to like anime, manga and erotic video games - serves a similar function. She’s a hyper fantasy, the girl many teens and young adults long for. When you see her draw on the classroom chalkboard to explain why one of her favourite game characters is so cool, you immediately feel drawn to and relate to her.

That‘s not to say they’re shallow characters, they’re not. But they overtly fit nice and neatly into little boxes.

There‘s a lot of boob, bum and crotch shots to enjoy. Fan service doesn’t make or break a show for me - unless it’s excessive. I wouldn’t go so far as to say the show goes over the top, but I’m certainly being well served in that regard.

It’s a comedy where you have to suspend a bit of disbelief. Like when Marin barges into Gojo’s house a day after meeting him, takes all her clothes off and fails to notice why he might be embarrassed - you have to laugh.

None of these things are bad, it’s a sweet show that I’ve really enjoyed my time with so far.

But I feel like I’m watching the sausage being made in front of me. I can feel the writers guiding me to the conclusions I’m drawing about these characters and their dynamic. Gojo and Marin feel designed for the audience in a way I’ve not come across before. Again, not a bad thing, just an observation.

Loved the chilled ending song and am excited to watch more.

Been enjoying this season. Tho due to some internet and life interruptions I’ve fallen behind on a few shows subbed I’ll have to binge to catch up on. And some dubbed too. My place doesn’t have the most stable connection some days

Had a lazy day and decided to really go for it, finishing off Spy Family with my wife, and then powering through the the rest of My Dress-Up Darling.

A few thoughts below. I’ve tagged them as spoilers because I’m not sure what the etiquette is around anime spoilers in terms of detail, etc.

I came away with mixed feelings after finishing Spy Family. We had two episodes left and while I definitely think the show recovered after a sluggish middle portion, I still think it kind of limped over the line.

I didn’t love that Loid tried to manipulate Yor after realising she had feelings for him in the penultimate episode. I know it’s all part of the mission, but when you follow the family for 25 episodes across several months, it just underlines how little progress has been made. The pair share a nice moment afterwards, but yeah, it just felt a bit disappointing - particularly as someone who is a sucker for romance.

The final episode, which showed Loid actually make some progress in his mission, was decent… and then it just kind of ends on ‘that kid, I never know what she’s thinking’… to be continued. It just felt a bit nothing. See you in a year I guess.

I realise I’ve been quite critical of Spy Family. It’s just, for me, it’s a show that can be brilliant, all the pieces are there. And I think those pieces are so strong that even when it doesn’t come together for me, it’s still entertaining (mostly). But it feels like a show that’s content with spinning it’s wheels.

It feels like the kind of show where you could cut 30% of it away and lose very little, not because it’s slice of life, but because it’s slice of life without a purpose. The worst parts of the show just exist to exist.

I like the show, I like the characters, the humour, the setting, etc. I’ll be there for season two and the movie for sure. I just hope some of the slice of life stuff works for me a bit better next time around.

Anyway, My Dress-Up Darling. I really enjoyed it in the end. Not that I wasn’t having a good time to begin with, but it progressed nicely.

Of course, you want to see the main relationship develop, and while there’s plenty of that here, you always want more. But this is a romcom after all, they weren’t going to tie the knot by the end of season one!

It does push its luck with the fan service at times, but I think the show is well-intentioned and has its heart in the right place overall. It’s about two people, seemingly from different worlds, who strike up an unlikely partnership and support each other‘s passions. And I think encouraging others to pursue their dreams and helping them accomplish them is a sweet message. Sprinkle in a bit of flesh, some goofy jokes and the odd touching moment and you have something worth watching.

When I said I feel like ‘I’m watching the sausage being made’, it’s because the show is unapologetically exactly what you expect. And the characters feel designed to serve those aspirations.

It feels like a fantasy… and that’s okay.

I like Gojo, but I want a bit more from him next season. Marin is obviously the backbone of the entire show. She instigates everything and has an infectious love for her hobby. She’s lovable - and even if I feel like the writers pull every trick in the book to make her that way, it does work. She’s great and the kind of girl we’d all love to have in our lives in some capacity.

The pair are totally different form Mai and Sakuta, or Kaguya and Miyuki - and that’s fine, there’s room in my heart for all three couples.

All that said, I watched 12 episodes in around 24 hours, so it must have got its hooks into me. It’s a really solid start with some great stuff in it, so I hope it provides a sturdy platform from which the second season can be built.

Welp they really made sure in this chapter of Kaina to explain that they don't have any form of writing tradition
That was a big swerve for me too! But hey, everything’s sorted out now.

Finishing up this season of anime, I have a lot to catch up on. Just finished Trigun Stampede and that was fantastic. Love that we’re gonna get Maximum stuff.

Now to go watch the rest before next season comes with its 40+ strong watchlist.

How this never got an anime series?
No one has dared to try.

Hopefully the upcoming Pluto adaptation will get some things moving on that front, though.

Gojo and Marin feel designed for the audience in a way I’ve not come across before
Interestingly, it was the express purpose of the writer to make Gojo a dream guy and Marin a dream girl. And I think it works! They do feel meticulously engineered, but they display just enough authenticity to not be eye-rolling in their dreaminess.

I also wouldn’t be worried about a lack of development for Gojo, some of his more impactful character development moments come later than what the anime covered.

Interestingly, it was the express purpose of the writer to make Gojo a dream guy and Marin a dream girl. And I think it works! They do feel meticulously engineered, but they display just enough authenticity to not be eye-rolling in their dreaminess.

I also wouldn’t be worried about a lack of development for Gojo, some of his more impactful character development moments come later than what the anime covered.
Interesting stuff. And I really agree with you in regards to the pair - both as a couple and as individual characters. They feel familiar and comfortable by design, but they've got enough substance to stand on their own.

The slowly worm their way into your heart as the season progresses. It's remarkable how often the show can oscillate from heartfelt to horny, while achieving a really nice balance.

I'm also glad to hear Gojo continues to grow. I really liked him in this first season. He feels really grounded and his subtle development really lands.

It's a show I started off unsure of. Before I sat down to watch it, I'd seen a couple of clips online - the measurement scene being the one that sticks in my mind! I thought... what am I getting myself into if I start this, but there was an undercurrent of warmth that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It had something.

It's kind of genius really. The main couple are at once, what I expected and setup in a conventional way, while also feeling unique. When I look at the building blocks of the show, I don't know how it was achieved... but I also kind of do at the same time!

My head hurts! :)

MagiRevo 11-12 end
That was a perfectly nice resolution. No new enemy or last minute conflict, just facing the problems already established, albeit with some dark implications and risks. Pretty obvious some stuff was truncated and compressed but it made it a better standalone story(still open enough for a continuation of it happened by some miracle). Had a good time. Also thankfully not Yuri-bait, just Yuri

Now if I can just finish Liselotte live tomorrow I’ll be done with my backed up subs. Still have dubs to catch up on tho(and some not done of course)

MagiRevo 11-12 end
That was a perfectly nice resolution. No new enemy or last minute conflict, just facing the problems already established, albeit with some dark implications and risks. Pretty obvious some stuff was truncated and compressed but it made it a better standalone story(still open enough for a continuation of it happened by some miracle). Had a good time. Also thankfully not Yuri-bait, just Yuri

Now if I can just finish Liselotte live tomorrow I’ll be done with my backed up subs. Still have dubs to catch up on tho(and some not done of course)
Yeah , I liked they way they just didn't shy away or just tried to imply their relationship as other series has done before.

On other things CR still bringing more anime to cinemas here, today was SAO turn and since I was free and next week is pretty much dead job related just went and saw it. And as usual they gave you a postcard like with the quintuplets. Also funny thing they just gave up translating the titles, for all them the official spanish title is the english one (so you see on the screen of the cinema SAO The Movie Progressive etc)

7CX09RD.jpg

On other things CR still bringing more anime to cinemas here
I wish we got more of those too haha. On that note, Suzume was pretty neat. Still too similar to Your Name in my book but a much better watch than Weathering With You was.

Also, Spring 2023 season is starting, and it is STACKED with adaptations of highly acclaimed romance manga.

Excited the CardCaptor Sakura Clear Card anime is getting a second season to conclude the story! Not as much as the original anime, but I enjoyed Clear Card a lot so I’m excited for this!

Guys.

If you're only going to be watching one anime this season, make it Heavenly Delusion. I have a good feeling it's a masterpiece in the making.

Guys.

If you're only going to be watching one anime this season, make it Heavenly Delusion. I have a good feeling it's a masterpiece in the making.
I was actually looking for this an couldn't find it, and reason was it was on D+

As strange as it is for Disney to be picking up titles like Summertime Render and Heavenly Delusion, I can’t deny that they’re good at getting the bangers.
Oh yeah, main issue here it's the last place I would search for anime, with all the services it just went over my head "oh yea... they also stream"

Oh yeah, main issue here it's the last place I would search for anime, with all the services it just went over my head "oh yea... they also stream"
If it isn’t Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, or Marvel, Disney+ stinks for finding stuff or knowing something new was added.

Birdie Wing 14
So glad this crazy show is back. Tho considering it broke in the middle of a 2 parter it definitely isn’t a pickup point XD. New mysteries being teased, flashes of the past. Can’t wait to see what happens next. Also It will never not crack me up that in a show full of Gundam references they slip in a Getter one with Eve’s Caddy being a name and visual call out to professor Saotome XD.

Back
Top Bottom