• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

Mandos

Pikmin
Pronouns
He/Him
Would be great to have a place to discuss the latest and upcoming shows or older stuff we’re catching up on. Just wanted to see if anyone who migrated over was up to making something fancy. If not I guess I could ask the mods to make this it but I figured I’d check first. Always fun to hang with other interested people

Edit: since this is now the thread, let’s lay a few ground rules, I’ll make the OP prettier later but for now
  1. Keep it cordial, everyone has different tastes and both Anime and Toku have a wide spread of content, genres and topics. Don’t go complaining about Dragon maids when you have 1000 foot tall nude super models with machine guns(Yes I’ve heard of Garo, still need to check it out though). This goes both ways of course. Not that you can’t have civilized debate around drawbacks and downsides of shows, but if it’s heated enough to derail the thread please take it elsewhere. Preferably a thread made for debating the issue.
  2. Please put new release content in spoilers, needless to say obvious stuff or trailer stuff isn’t a huge issue, but if it’s a big twist or something, be courteous and tag it for about a week. If it’s a really big show use discretion till the end of the season as well, not everyone can watch day one, or have life stuff going on or even just not realized it had started. Needless to say, not expecting huge amounts of restraint on older stuff, but keep in mind some people may have just gotten into anime or Toku recently
  3. Bold the name of the show and the Season/episode number, then do a space underneath. Both makes searching and avoiding spoilers easy
And that’s it off the top of my head. If anything major pops up that needs to be clarified I’ll add it to the list but usually common sense is all you need

Oh and for anyone who doesn’t know(well you know some of it just not the name, considering how intertwined the two can be)
Toku is short for Tokusatu(Japanese for practical effects) is a genre that includes Ultraman, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Gridman(original), Power Rangers, Godzilla, Garo(original), and a bunch of other one offs. A lot of them have anime spin-offs(Netflix Ultraman, SSSS Gridman/Dynazenon) and inspired a number of anime(and vice versa) plus there’s some talent overlap too(Anno’s Shin Godzilla, Shin Kamen Rider and Shin Ultraman for example). Since the forum is new this ST has enough room for both till some momentum gets going.

captain-falcon-anime.gif

Last edited:
This is the Anime |ST| now, thanks!

Catching up with MHA, on episode 77 now 👀
Shrug like I said works for now if needed, I just don’t keep close enough track to do an upcoming season list XD. But if someone makes one I’ll happily add it to the OP or threadmark it when we get those.
I mainly read MHA but I’ve been restarting the dub as background noise. Forgot just how warped the expectations and examples around Deku were in the beginning
My current ongoing is Dragon Quest Dai but I’m a week behind due to only being able to do one sub between funi or crunchy right now.
As for upcoming, this starts tomorrow and has me curious
Also Getter Robo Arc just finished up and that was a trip, realist hero was fun too(and is confirmed for a second season

Oh and Dirty Pair has an English dub Kickstarter with a Blu-ray release going on right now

I've been slacking lately but did finish S2 of Dragon Maid. Was quite excellent.
Have you heard it’s getting a Shmup from the Raiden IV studio?

Also, asked the mods to make this the anime/Toku ST for now, there’s enough overlap we can run with both unless some crazy momentum gets going for both. Plus plenty of Toku anime. I may try sprucing the starting post later. Hope you guys like the subtitle

Been on a Gundam kick lately so I'm almost done with my rewatch of the 79 movie trilogy. Looking forward to Digimon Ghost Game tomorrow as I haven't really enjoyed any Digimon stuff in a decade despite being a huge fan but this one looks promising.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Kamen Rider Kuuga and have been enjoying Revice so far.

Also watch PreCure

Have you heard it’s getting a Shmup from the Raiden IV studio?

Also, asked the mods to make this the anime/Toku ST for now, there’s enough overlap we can run with both unless some crazy momentum gets going for both. Plus plenty of Toku anime. I may try sprucing the starting post later. Hope you guys like the subtitle
I did! I'm not usually a fan of shmups but I'll keep my eye out.

We got a Teaser for Shin Kamen Rider from Anno in the form of a 1:1 remake of the opening

Doubt anything other than the costumes is final tho

Also here’s my physical Anime/Toku collection. Mainly have have watched the Gundams and Getters plus Big O, Amagi, Oh Edo, Bride is a mermaid, School rumble season 1; Squid Girl S1, and I’ve started some of the others like half of ultra Q and a few episodes of Ultraman

image0.jpg

Nice to see a new thread here. I may not post like i should (knowing me i wont) but hey still good to see it.
CUWoI0Y.gif

My brother listens to a band called ging nang boyz, I think that they're weird but whilst searching for them a while ago I heard that they did an intro for an anime, sonny boy, on that basis alone I might watch it, the art looks nice too.

Started Metal Armor Dragonar, gasp The rare mecha show where the random pilots actually have a reason that makes sense for them to know piloting basics. I kid slightly, I mean classic Getter and Zambot 3 used mental imprinting to give the basics(and the former had military pilots from time to time… who got killed quick), and there’s a couple with test pilots. But it’s rare for the combo of stumble across super weapons and pre-trained pilots

Right now I'm not watching a lot of anime, I need to watch the final episodes of Bakarina season 2 and almost all the season 2 of Kobayashi. I need a shounen lol Dragon Quest Dai was good right?

Oh hey Funi picked this up so it’s got a western name and trailer

Starts on the 5th
Right now I'm not watching a lot of anime, I need to watch the final episodes of Bakarina season 2 and almost all the season 2 of Kobayashi. I need a shounen lol Dragon Quest Dai was good right?
Dai is awesome, adaption is solid, they’ve been really smart on the battle cgi(honestly a show with a run like this is a good pick, constant output, plenty of time to get used to it and improve).

Last edited:
MuteKing E1
Ok Muteking is starting off with the right kind of wacky. The villain is basically Jeff Bezos/Elon Musk XD. Also some straight up Toku parody/homage going on. Definitely going to continue watching

Edit:
Added a couple guidelines to the OP, if I missed anything let me know. I’ll try to spruce it up more at some point but if someone wants to make a list of this season’s new/returning shows I’d happily take the help

Last edited:
Thanks or the OT ST Mandos!
This season is starting strong with 86: Eighty Six Part 2. Really good episode and the Opening is amazing.

I still can’t believe they took inspiration from Furious 7 and did the car-dropping-from-a-plane thing. Nothing’s stronger than family after all.

Tomorrow it’s the first episode of Mushoku Tensei Part 2. Can’t wait!

PS: what’s Toku?

Thanks or the OT ST Mandos!
This season is starting strong with 86: Eighty Six Part 2. Really good episode and the Opening is amazing.

I still can’t believe they took inspiration from Furious 7 and did the car-dropping-from-a-plane thing. Nothing’s stronger than family after all.

Tomorrow it’s the first episode of Mushoku Tensei Part 2. Can’t wait!

PS: what’s Toku?

Tokusatu(Japanese for practical effects) is a genre that includes Ultraman, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Gridman(original), Power Rangers, Godzilla, Garo(original), and a bunch of other one offs. A lot of them have anime spin-offs(Netflix Ultraman, SSSS Gridman/Dynazenon) and inspired a number of anime(and vice versa) plus there’s some talent overlap too(Anno’s Shin Godzilla, Shin Kamen Rider and Shin Ultraman for example). Since the forum is new this ST has enough room for both till some momentum gets going.

Tokusatu(Japanese for practical effects) is a genre that includes Ultraman, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Gridman(original), Power Rangers, Godzilla, Garo(original), and a bunch of other one offs. A lot of them have anime spin-offs(Netflix Ultraman, SSSS Gridman/Dynazenon) and inspired a number of anime(and vice versa) plus there’s some talent overlap too(Anno’s Shin Godzilla, Shin Kamen Rider and Shin Ultraman for example). Since the forum is new this ST has enough room for both till some momentum gets going.

Thanks for the explanation!

Thanks for the explanation!
No prob, added it to the OP, something I overlooked, didn’t think that while anime fans would know of the series they may not know the genre name. Like how people don’t realize that old cowboy movies are called spaghetti westerns because they were made in Italy

First episode of Digimon Ghost Game is really good. It's been a decade since I really enjoyed a Digimon anime despite being a huge fan of the franchise but this is a really promising start. Love the mix of sci-fi/horror elements and Gammamon is just adorable.

I mainly read MHA but I’ve been restarting the dub as background noise. Forgot just how warped the expectations and examples around Deku were in the beginning

I've been thinking about switching over to the manga but I actually really like the anime which doesn't happen that often (I usually prefer non-adaptations but I'm not a purist about this).

No prob, added it to the OP, something I overlooked, didn’t think that while anime fans would know of the series they may not know the genre name. Like how people don’t realize that old cowboy movies are called spaghetti westerns because they were made in Italy

I thought they were called spaghetti westerns because they leash cows using pasta 🤭

I don’t know if this show will be any good, but just seeing a 2D mech is pleasant.
I mean CG doesn’t bug me for the same reason anime doesn’t bug me, it’s just an artstyle(I loved getter arc for example, and with its budget it would’ve looked far worse without CG). Also the creative team has a good track record so should be solid at least. Starts on the 5th

I mean CG doesn’t bug me for the same reason anime doesn’t bug me, it’s just an artstyle(I loved getter arc for example, and with its budget it would’ve looked far worse without CG). Also the creative team has a good track record so should be solid at least. Starts on the 5th
That isn’t wrong, but it feels like its been a while since I’ve seen a brand new anime with 2D robots.

Anyone got a schedule for the upcoming releases on the different streaming services? Not sure if I want to keep my Funimation account or just deactivate it until there are enough episodes to binge.

@BGBW think you’d be up for making the new season release schedule? I’ll add it to the OP and credit you as well of course. I’m just sure I’d miss something.

Heh I just have a huge backlog of stuff to watch on Funi already I only got into anime a few years back and don’t follow seasons too closely, there just tends to be some stuff that gets my interest like mecha shows and isekai with fun twists(I think the first 2 airing shows I watched were overly cautious hero and Kemono Michi) like realist hero this season

Two anime I'm for sure watching this season is Komi-san and Kimetsu no Yaiba. I might end up watching Blue Period as well.

For me this season is almost barren of things to watch (great for cleaning the anime backlog)... Only Komi, Kyuuketsuki and KnY are somewhat interesting to see and maybe Shuumatsu no Harem (only because I always pick 1 series with controversial aspects per season, how bad/good could be...)...

Looks like a pretty barren season indeed. I’m looking forward to Demon Slayer and of course Jojo, but other than that? I’m not sure. Is there anything that will emotionally wreck me this season?

Hm, I don’t think I’ve seen any new wacky Isekai announced(let me know if I missed anything). Restaurant to another world is back so I got that, Dai is still airing, there’s that new Bandai mecha show. I’d check out megaton Musashi but it doesn’t exist in the west at the moment. I’m working on Dynazenon and the dub still has a few weeks left till completion. Oh I’d like to check out the new Lupin but I also still need to watch part V(loved part 4).

But I still have tons of old shows to watch including my backlog and my funi sub. May do a Sentai sub for a bit if I exhaust that. Oh got something finally shipping this week hopefully I look forward to showing off I’ve been anticipating watching

Hi, I’ve watched tokusatsu for most of my life. Is this where I come to talk about how good Ohranger is or should I take it somewhere else

Hi, I’ve watched tokusatsu for most of my life. Is this where I come to talk about how good Ohranger is or should I take it somewhere else
I though Kaitetsu Zubat was the best though? And Garo the most bizarre. Live action not the anime though that might be a fun discussion of its own though I haven’t watched either

I though Kaitetsu Zubat was the best though? And Garo the most bizarre. Live action not the anime though that might be a fun discussion of its own though I haven’t watched either
I can’t speak to Garo but I’ll say Zubat and Ohranger both heavily feature Hiroshi Miyauchi so they’re probably tied

I can’t speak to Garo but I’ll say Zubat and Ohranger both heavily feature Hiroshi Miyauchi so they’re probably tied
I feel the costume alone tells you Garo Is some wild stuff

MV5BN2IwMWVmZWItZjYyOC00MWMwLWJiNTQtZTI0M2ZiOGE4OGRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA0OTU0OTQ@._V1_.jpg

Like I said haven’t watched it but it’s an adult aimed Toku with a Tomino level creative given no restrictions(I reference what’s apparently the season 2 final boss in the OP). The Anime is more restrained

Watched the Kerbal Vampire Space Program anime yesterday. Started a bit slow imo, but my gf liked it because clearly it will have some kind of romance between the vampire and her caretaker Cosmonaut. Also, being a KSP enjoyer myself, the spacecraft designs seemed a little… off, even by kerbal standards. All in all, added to the watchlist for the season.

Chainsaw Man

I wanted to read this, but after buying the first two volumes the third one was sold out very fast and didn't get back in stock (for a normal price) for a long time, lol. Is the anime even coming out this season though?

Wait, that is coming out this season?
I wanted to read this, but after buying the first two volumes the third one was sold out very fast and didn't get back in stock (for a normal price) for a long time, lol. Is the anime even coming out this season though?
Maaaybe? I thought it was coming out this year since it had a trailer but I guess it doesn’t have an official release date.

Oh I somehow overlooked cardfight vanguard, maybe I’ll give that a go

AMAIM E1
Watched the first episode. Kenbu is growing on me already, so is Duo Amou and Gai. Definitely look forward to the kit line

Kinda nice to have a mecha protag who’s not really after anything but a path for a better life and gets sidetracked by the escalation of his hobby and some bad luck. Not everything has to be personal

Edit: Ooo the vampire dies in no time sounds up my alley, will have to give it a go tomorrow

Last edited:
Vampire Dies Quickly 1
Hah, just the type of goofy stuff I was in the mood for. Curious to see where this goes. John the Armadillo is the best familiar

Yesterday I watched the Evolution or something isekai (the one with the pink ape) and Mieruko-chan.

The Evolution one is trash, but I don’t know if it’s gonna be so-bad-it’s-good tier or just plain garbage. 3 episode rule candidate at best. Even the Opening is bad.

Mieruko-chan seems interesting. A few laughs here and there. I don’t know if the show wants to be horny, spooky or both. Will put it in the watch list.

Oh hey Funi picked this up so it’s got a western name and trailer

Starts on the 5th

Dai is awesome, adaption is solid, they’ve been really smart on the battle cgi(honestly a show with a run like this is a good pick, constant output, plenty of time to get used to it and improve).

I've been quite excited for this one. The mecha design looks really unique while keeping the feel of a "real robot" mech and with all the shows making use of CG for mechas lately, this one feels like a breath of fresh air. Really like the character design too!

I've been quite excited for this one. The mecha design looks really unique while keeping the feel of a "real robot" mech and with all the shows making use of CG for mechas lately, this one feels like a breath of fresh air. Really like the character design too!
Yup not Duo is fun for sure

Back
Top Bottom