• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

Great list @Mandos, especially the shout-outs to Kongming and Total Fantasy Knockout. 2022 was a real strong year for anime.

I’m thinking about watching Love Live Superstars tonight
I think Aquors on the whole is zanier than Liella, but I think the Liella girls are more well realized, especially since the first season gets to put its focus on five as opposed to nine of them. My favorite group is still Aquors for their quirkiness, but Liella is a solid second place, and overtakes them in te character development department.

The performances are also the best they have ever been: the CG animation is indistinguishable from 2D animation at times, while the songs have a greater variety of tones. Kanon herself has a phenomenal voice.

@meatbag and @xghost777

I finished the first two episodes, and I’m very impressed with this so far. The intensity and cuteness of the characters practically puts me in tears. In a world of so much dark news, this feels like a positivity vitamin smoothie.

I can’t stress enough how I love the formula they’re going for here. It feels like this season is trying to evoke more of a K-On vibe, with it being 5 main characters, except this one seems to be slowly weeding in one character at a time - which I LOVE, because as much as I love Idol shows, I wish they’d take more time to breath in, exhale and give me time to love and learn these characters one by one instead of a huge cluster and picking a favorite or two. This is all to say, I dig the format they’re going with this round.

Also, this was adorable as hell.
5e0b89c024c6636d40dcaf93b87b91d9.jpg

I wish they’d take more time to breath in, exhale and give me time to love and learn these characters one by one
That’s definitely what Superstars does.

Episode 4 of Kaina of the Snow Sea also came out, and I’m excited for the next adventure which will be under the Snow Sea. And there are things swimming around there, so I hope they’ll be friendly.

Season 4 of Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? is further proving how non-indicative the title is. The main character is playing on hardcore dungeon crawler mode right now, while flashbacks slowly build up to a tragic massacre.

Also glad Farmland Saga is getting rave reviews. Was a bit worried anime-only watchers wouldn’t take to it.

Every chapter of Kaine is very, very good. I need more.

Also found this at a garage sale! Now I have a plan for the weekend

dYiVfED.jpg

Love-Live-Superstar-05.mkv0047.jpg
I watched episode 5 of Love Live Superstar!

This anime has been such a fun time so far. The characters are really fun and I can feel their individual drive and aspirations. They really balance each other out nicely, and I gotta say once again that this anime is very well animated!

I see someone has become a Keke fan

Nice find! They look like they’re in good condition, too
They are with the exception of the last disc which had a lot of scratches but I already tested it and it works (and I ripped it already), They ahd more things but I didn't had cash for them, going to return today and hope they are still there

Been on a One Piece kick again lately. I’m about halfway through Whole Cake Island and really loving it.

Been on a One Piece kick again lately. I’m about halfway through Whole Cake Island and really loving it.
First time reading through it or rereading? Speaking of which, I definitely need to have another go at rereading One Piece. It’s one of those stories that get better when you go through it again and again.

First time reading through it or rereading? Speaking of which, I definitely need to have another go at rereading One Piece. It’s one of those stories that get better when you go through it again and again.
Watching, actually! And I’ve been watching it for years now, I’m just still not fully caught up.

I’ve been watching the fan edit “One Pace” and it’s wonderful. They trimmed down Whole Cake from 95 episodes to 39. They try to trim it to exactly how the manga is basically, so it’s just a nice way to watch it faster and still get everything Oda wrote into it.

I’ve been watching the fan edit “One Pace” and it’s wonderful. They trimmed down Whole Cake from 95 episodes to 39. They try to trim it to exactly how the manga is basically, so it’s just a nice way to watch it faster and still get everything Oda wrote into it.
Oh wow, that One Pace fan edit sounds fantastic. Enjoy! Whole Cake Island was a blast and the arc after that even more so, in my opinion.

I’m several years late to the party, as I typically am with anime, but I’ve got to say it - Kaguya-sama: Love is War is an absolute classic.

I binged the first season in a day and have spent the last two weeks catching up on season two and three. It somehow feels grounded but completely over the top, all over the place but focused and hilarious but extremely emotional when required.

Fantastic characters, inventive scenarios, fab music and a lot of heart really helps carry the show. The writing is top draw and I’ve got to shout out the voice actors. I opted for the dub in this particular case, and they killed it. Everyone turns in a magnetic performance.

I thought the first season did a wonderful job of establishing the main couple, the supporting characters and the general vibe of the show. Each episode served up an entertaining battle of wits, with Kaguya and Miyuki relentlessly trying to outmanoeuvre one another. The final episode hit hard and proved that, along with the witty humour and pitch perfect comedy, the writer knew how to make you feel as well as laugh.

The second season did a great job of expanding the cast and hit all the right notes for me. I was laughing throughout and watching the crew grow larger and their relationships evolve was a real delight. Probably my favourite overall season because it had a bit of everything. It felt like a real step up.

One of my favourite anime seasons ever.

Miyuki’s recast in season three (for health reasons) initially bummed me out and I must confess, I think the first half of the 13-episode run felt like a step down from season two (though still great). But that final five-episode(ish) stretch is pure magic. The way they build up the culture festival, set so many narrative rabbits running and bring them all together is special. The climatic showdown just felt… perfect.

When I originally read the synopsis, I wondered how long it would feel fresh for. But I think the show does a good job of making all the seasons feel like both a continuation of what came before, and new and different at the same time. They whipped out a board game to drive conflict a few times in the first season and I prepared myself for that to become something they’d go back to again and again, but I don’t think they really did.

I also worried, am I going to get sick of the will they, won’t they dynamic?

But I think Kaguya’s biggest strength is - somehow - offering up all these crazy seemingly one-off scenarios, but then subtly and cleverly linking them all together to form a larger whole. They’ll leverage a joke or skit from eight episodes ago to setup a touching moment that catches you off guard. The show is always setting up situations and making jokes, which it then proceeds to remember and harken back to in the best of ways.

And that all feeds into the romance where everything kind of congeals and comes together at the end of each season. When you look back at the end of each 12/3-episode block, seeing how all the little moments connect and bolster the main relationship, you feel like you’ve come a long way. And I think that’s remarkable when in the grand scheme of things, it might not appear like much has changed. But that’s the special sauce of the show - it’s episodic to some degree, but really smart about it and builds on itself incredibly well. And I also think it perfectly reflects young love, albeit embellished, where a collection of small moments can really leave a huge impact on you.

Again, I suspect I’m not saying anything new and while I could breakdown why I love all the characters (with Kaguya herself taking my top spot), I’ll spare you the time. And that feels like a disservice to the show because ultimately, it’s the characters who make it, but I’d be here forever.

Having subsequently looked around online, consuming the odd video essay and visiting sites such as MyAnimeList, it’s clear I’m not alone in thinking this is a masterpiece. I wholeheartedly agree with the masses on this one. I understand that a film is on the horizon and there’s more manga to adapt, but even if the show ended right here and now, I’d be chuffed with it.

A special show… it might be my new favourite… maybe… that’s like asking me to pick between my children! Why would you do that?! I just wanted to share my love for the series. I didn’t expect my post to grow so big… but this typically happens when I become passionate about something!

I did ask for some anime suggestions here a few weeks back and do plan to return to that list soon, but something told me I should watch this. I’m glad I listened to my real-life narrator.

PS. All the openings slap too.

But I think Kaguya’s biggest strength is - somehow - offering up all these crazy seemingly one-off scenarios, but then subtly and cleverly linking them all together to form a larger whole
That really is one of Kaguya-sama’s biggest strengths— it’s initially set up like a skit comedy, but it carefully lays down characterization and foreshadowing and before you know it you’re deeply invested in the world it’s built.

But that final five-episode(ish) stretch is pure magic
The culture festival arc is rightfully hailed as one of the best romcom arcs of all time.

That really is one of Kaguya-sama’s biggest strengths— it’s initially set up like a skit comedy, but it carefully lays down characterization and foreshadowing and before you know it you’re deeply invested in the world it’s built.

The culture festival arc is rightfully hailed as one of the best romcom arcs of all time.
Yeah, it’s fantastic stuff. I fell head over heels for the show and couldn’t get enough, once I’d started watching it.

Delighted to be part of the conversation/community, albeit years behind the times.

I believe the author has said the intention is to adapt the remaining chapters (I think they said ‘final’ chapters, but there’s actually quite a bit left?).

Fingers crossed we get them. That said, having read ahead on the manga, and seeing Kaguya’s appearance in other media, I’m content regardless.

I’m gutted I can’t buy the seasons. Theres no dub release at all, three seasons in, with a movie out In cinemas. It‘s annoying.

I raced out and bought Bunny Girl Senpai as soon as I wrapped it up - and getting the film was a pain in the arse too.

Here I don’t even have the option. I’ll be there day one, no matter what I have to pay. Particularly, if Aaron Dismuke does/has redubbed it.

After being announced years ago, the anime adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's noir thriller reimagining of Astro Boy has finally been confirmed to air on Netflix in 2023!

Holy crap, I didn’t know Pluto was getting an anime! The manga was great, essentially Naoki Urusawa reimagining Astro Boy as a deconstruction-reconstruction of android-centered science fiction, including the Laws of Robotics and the line between true and artificial intelligence.

I have to wonder how many episodes the anime is gonna get. 12/13 episodes might be too short.

Better than Monster in my mind.
In my opinion Monster has always been one of the weaker Urusawa manga (with the disclaimer that I’ve not read either Yawara or Asadora). Not that Monster is bad but of his mystery thrillers it’s the least ambitious.

Now where's 20th century boys anime adapation?
Hopefully we can get 20th Century Boys if Pluto does well enough.

Which reminds me, I’m always kinda scared to wish for an anime. I’m still traumatized over Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer’s adaptation.

God I hope this is good, the manga is amazing. Better than Monster in my mind.
I think for Urasawa shorter is better, but more than that, structure is everything. He loves careful plotting, but also, the longer it goes on the more he has to make up as he goes. Because Pluto has the structure of an Astro Boy story, it keeps it tight.

I also love when he's clearly making shit up, though. I'm one of the few people who thinks that 21st Century Boys has a perfect final chapter. It's just that it's gone off the rails by that point. In a fun way!

Yeah, just came in here after seeing that Pluto is getting an anime adaption, and it is this year? Oh man, I completely missed this and I couldn't be more excited.

Haven't been watching much of anything in the past few years, but will absolutely watch this barring it being a total disaster somehow.

Can't bloody wait for this. Now where's 20th century boys anime adapation?

This would really be the dream. 20th century boy is the one Urasawa manga which would benefit most from a TV realization because of its music theming. People complain about the ending, but it nailed Kenji's character arc and the musical component that accompanies him. A TV realization would enhance that aspect even moreso.

Last edited:
Yeah, just came in here after seeing that Pluto is getting an anime adaption, and it is this year? Oh man, I completely missed this and I couldn't be more excited.

Haven't been watching much of anything in the past few years, but will absolutely watch this barring it being a total disaster somehow.

This would really be the dream. 20th century boy is the one Urasawa manga which would benefit most from a TV realization because of its music theming. People complain about the ending, but it nailed Kenji's character arc and the musical component that accompanies him. A TV realization would enhance that aspect even moreso.
I believe the live action films in Japan were well received on the whole, but yeah I think an anime that gets his art across like the other Urasawa anime series would be great.

Man between Witch Hat Atelier and Pluto this is quite a year already for amazing manga getting their long awaited anime adaptions. If both of those live up to the source material then there’s some good anime coming this year.

Little disappointed it came out today that despite Crunchyroll announcing weeks ago the English dub cast for the Trails of Cold Steel anime would feature the English VAs for Rean and Altina something happened or didn’t happen behind the scenes where both decided to individually pull out. I had put the show on hold to watch it in English since I played all of the Cold Steel games in English and even rewatched the first two episodes with the English dub, but now I’m wondering why I bothered. What a mess.

In other production disaster news, I’m looking forward to the Nier anime returning from hiatus this week. Hope it’ll be good.

My wife and I are still plugging away at Spy x Family - more specifically, part two.

The first three episodes where the crew are trying to thwart a terrorise attack are great. There‘s plenty of humour, but it’s supported by an interesting mini plot that raises the stakes. It builds a sense of momentum.

Unfortunately that is quickly squandered as we descend into filler land with Anya for what feels like forever. Visiting the hospital? A random kid thinks he’s being chucked out of school? The one where she comes up with a secret code? It just feels limp.

I watched a video online which essentially highlighted the exact same thing. They also said that some of the stories in part two are adapted from bonus material in the manga. If that is the case, I’m not surprised at all. Some of the segments feel incredibly thin.

Looking around online, the consensus does seem to be that part two doesn’t quite hit the highs of the first part. And that itself ended rather abruptly with the penguin episode.

We’ve just had the first introduction of Nightfall who feels like a much-needed shot in the arm for the series. So I feel a little more positive and despite my gripes there’s flashes of what I like still there.

At the end of episode where Yor races to school to give her Anya her sports gear, I was delighted to see Loid offer to take her out for lunch. It felt like a wholesome moment of genuine affection and the first time the pair had meaningfully interacted in weeks. Yor desperately needs some more screen time, as she feels like a huge missed opportunity at the moment,

I also think the decision to start cutting up episodes into clearly defined short stories doesn’t work particularly well. I initially thought that it was just a format I didn’t care for. But I later watched Kaguya-sama, which I think handles that style FAR better. In Spy x Family it can feel quite random and jarring. Some chunks feel wildly different and don’t knit together in a way that flows for me.

I just want to be really clear. I still like Spy x Family. And I appreciate it’s a slice of life, family comedy. I signed up for hijinks and knew plot development would be slow.

That said, I just feel like they’ve got the proportions wrong in the second half of this first season. All the elements are still there, but I don’t think they’re being leveraged as well as they could be. Worse still, some sections have just been boring. Hopefully the final three or four episodes tie things up nicely.

Pluto looks interesting!

My wife and I are still plugging away at Spy x Family - more specifically, part two
The anime definitely had it hard for part 2. Spy X Family has always tended to lean towards being episodic, and while it works well in manga format, sometimes you have to stitch random slice-of-life chapters together to make full anime episodes, and they weren’t really meant to be combined. It can definitely feel a little patchwork.

They also said that some of the stories in part two are adapted from bonus material in the manga
Not really bonus material per se, but quite a few chapters do tackle tangentially related plot threads.

Yor desperately needs some more screen time, as she feels like a huge missed opportunity at the moment
Unfortunately this is also an issue with the manga, and it takes a good while before she gets a decently sized arc for herself.

In other news, I’ve been enjoying the Winter 2023 anime a lot. Kaina of the Snow Sea satisfies my love for speculative fiction with strange settings, Blue Lock is sheer hype, Angel Next Door has me screaming from the romantic tension, Tomo-chan is a Girl is a more classic but no less enjoyable romantic comedy, Ars no Kyoujuu reminds me of early 2000s action fantasy anime, DanMachi is really amping up the tension to survival horror levels, MagiRevo is an incredibly cute lesbian love story, Trigun Stampede is so far a fun reinterpretation of an old western sci fi classic, and Vinland Saga is hitting Thorfinn hard with the consequences of his actions. And some other stuff is very good too.

Always fun to run into cool old ops with English lyrics/ English versions. Just popped into this one for the first time

While looking at the comments listening to this one

The anime definitely had it hard for part 2. Spy X Family has always tended to lean towards being episodic, and while it works well in manga format, sometimes you have to stitch random slice-of-life chapters together to make full anime episodes, and they weren’t really meant to be combined. It can definitely feel a little patchwork.

Not really bonus material per se, but quite a few chapters do tackle tangentially related plot threads.

Unfortunately this is also an issue with the manga, and it takes a good while before she gets a decently sized arc for herself.

In other news, I’ve been enjoying the Winter 2023 anime a lot. Kaina of the Snow Sea satisfies my love for speculative fiction with strange settings, Blue Lock is sheer hype, Angel Next Door has me screaming from the romantic tension, Tomo-chan is a Girl is a more classic but no less enjoyable romantic comedy, Ars no Kyoujuu reminds me of early 2000s action fantasy anime, DanMachi is really amping up the tension to survival horror levels, MagiRevo is an incredibly cute lesbian love story, Trigun Stampede is so far a fun reinterpretation of an old western sci fi classic, and Vinland Saga is hitting Thorfinn hard with the consequences of his actions. And some other stuff is very good too.
Shamiko(Demon Girl next door) is based off a 4-koma and it manages to have a great underlining plot/character development. Plus great comedy

I am watching one of these

the CIA couldn't get me to admit which

Catching up to the The Vampire Dies in no Time and the story about Ronaldo's brother was very funny (and how it actually happened he got hurt )

Also this, now at my 40's does feel relatable

Eaw7eql.png

Catching up to the The Vampire Dies in no Time and the story about Ronaldo's brother was very funny (and how it actually happened he got hurt )

Eaw7eql.png
I don’t know which part was better: how pathetic Ronaldo’s brother was or the insane heights he was lifted to

Eaw7eql.png
Man I was doing laundry today and I have a sock that's missing a half fml

That ex hunter wih a sock fetish stealing socks from vampires as a way to slowly kill them. Bloody good silly idea.

Another great episode for Kaina, but I'm still waiting for the moment where reading signs will save the day lol (they did emphasize this at the beginning)

I'm still waiting for the moment where reading signs will save the day lol
I assume that will come into play when Kaina and the rest get to giant orbital spire tree, which looks like it might be a central server. Ririha's USB necklace will probably be used to unlock something there, too.

Season's been really good for fantasy fans. Kaina, Fire Hunter, Giants of Ars and DanMachi are all good and doing different things.

Just finished JoJo part 5 and definitely my favorite cast as a group so far. Love how natural the Villain of the week formula was integrated into the story as it doesn't seem like it's that formula. Wish we got a second fight with Poppio though

A new Odd Taxi project
Huh, wonder if it’s going to continue straight off (spoiler) the stinger with the idol wannabe plotting to kill Odokawa.

Just finished JoJo part 5 and definitely my favorite cast as a group so far
Interesting! I was into the part 4 cast more. Partly because I think Giorno was somewhat boring, though his theme song is banging.

Back
Top Bottom