• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

Giant Robo Ova - end
Sheesh that was one hell of a pyrrhic ending. Tho considering I've read some of the author's other works this is one of the better outcomes XD. The blending of so many source series into this makes for one heck of a ride. Historical characters like Kongming being some of the most amusing. Self induced tragedy is alway a downer for sure. Some of the pulls really surprised me, like the villain leader being the protag of freaking Babel 2. Alberto went out like a champ! That was a great twist without compromising the character . One heck of a trip overall, really great tribute to the author. Do wish it could show up in SRW tho

Vinland Saga Season 2 is already so good after just two episodes. I'm not into many animes/mangas, but I like this a lot, I really can't get enough of it.

cross post since super relevant here
In some fun news

Yay been waiting for the date for Ultimate Muscle. I imagine we'll see GGG Final info. Wonder if we'll get a couple fun mech suprises like Shin Steel Jeeg or Gaiking reboot

After sitting on the Gundam finale for a few days and finally having the time to write a proper post, I’m ready to share my favorite anime from last year! I’ll do a proper top ten since it’d be fun to rank them, but a lot of them are super close together! I really dug my favorites this year!

10 Love Live Super Star Season 2 - I really enjoyed continuing Liella’s story, though I didn’t warm up to the new members too much. Still, seeing them win Love Live was awesome and the episode beyond it was very interesting in the moment with where it went even if the resolution was odd. I think this one ranks lower mainly because Love Live stopped releasing songs on US itunes which is baffling and disappointing. Sort it out Love Live!

9 Kaguya Sama Season 3 - I really liked this one! I remembered a lot of big laughs this season as the characters have become so endearing and fleshed out which made payoffs for jokes and romance alike more satisfying. The big school festival at the end was my favorite part.

8 My Hero Academia Season 6 First Half- This was a very great and welcome return to form for MHA after the weak season 5 which was so rough I decided to read the manga for a while. This would have been higher if I hadn’t read ahead because they really elevated the source material here and the big moments all landed. I would have been glued to it week to week if I didn’t know what was going to happen.

7 Magia Record Final Season - So this one just means more to me more than it was technically good. Good chunks of the final ending were straight up bad actually, but parts of the journey were so interesting and memorable with animation and imagery so wild that I still consider this one of my favorites this year. I’m disappointed this was a bad ending version of Magia Record where characters evolved into different, often worse people entirely, but others had such cool moments and I valued seeing different sides of them and having a unique journey. I’m very excited to rewatch this alongside season 2 relatively soon since I have the Blu Ray release sitting on my desk.

6 Lycoris Recoil - I will at least check out any show with a ClariS OP/ED and yay this one was good! The main characters were a lot of fun and the action and animation for it was awesome! I’m generally not a fan of police shows where they stop crime before it happens, so I was very glad to find Lycoris Recoil dodged that by having the main character not a part of the organization. I hope we get a season 2 eventually!

5 Gundam The Witch From Mercury - My biggest Gundam experiences were with Wing and Seed on Toonami so I was very excited to finally watch a Gundam as it aired with the world for once and wow I picked an awesome one! I really dug the main characters and the school setting, though the darker elements and brutal action are what definitely have me the most excited now. I can’t wait to see season 2!

4 Mob Psycho 100 Season 3 - While there were a few weaker sub arcs this time which pulled it down a bit, all the big moments, the big goodbyes, the amazing action, and especially the absolutely perfect ending, all delivered. I’m so happy Mob Psycho 100 got an amazing full adaption filled to the brim with spectacular animation and heart from everyone involved. Some of the shows above might have made a bigger more immediate impact this year, but with season 3, Mob cemented itself as one of my absolute favorite shows. I’m looking forward to rewatching this show down the road for years to come.

3 Spy X Family - I decided to give this show the edge over Mob, because it was such a wonderful part of more of the year and I loved basically every episode! I didn’t know anything walking in, so I was really won over by the awesome premise and characters. There’s also lots of singular moments I’ll treasure like the goofy dodgeball episode and plenty of the awesome action with Loid and Yor.

2 Pop Team Epic Season 2 - I liked the first season of Pop Team Epic, but it wasn’t until the April Fools day episode that I adored it and season 2 maintained that amazing, creative energy and quality. You never knew what you were in for with Pop Team Epic, but I was always entertained with the segments both large and small. There were a lot of stand out segments this time like Chocobo, Biggus McHuge Guy, Shining Shoulder, Train Battle, The Dating Sim, and the live action finale, but my absolute favorite was of course the glorious return of Hellshake Yano! Also I have to mention the OP and ED are awesome with the latter being my favorite of the year.

1 Bocchi The Rock! - I could reorder this list a number of ways depending on the day, but I think nearly every time I’d put Bocchi on top. I just really adored Bocchi, the main character, right from the start, the ever shifting and wild animation, the great humor, and of course the awesome songs. I was a little let down with the ending at first, but I now consider the true ending of the show to be the release of Kessoku Band’s first album which I love from start to finish. I think it has a good shot, but I’m praying hard all the same we get a season 2 for Bocchi. I really want to see her journey continue.

Great list! I haven’t seen all of these, but of the ones I have I enjoyed them all. Of the shows I watched this year, I’d rank them as follows:

1. Mob Psycho 100
2. Bocchi the Rock
3. Gundam: Witch From Mercury
4. Chainsaw Man
5. Spy x Family

The last few arcs of Mob covered are my favourite in the series so there was never really any chance of another show beating that for me, but that still doesn’t diminish the impact of just how good this adaption was. Shoenen is very much an ‘I sleep’ genre for me usually, but ONE is such an incredible writer that I’ll follow whatever he creates.

Bocchi and Gundam I caved and watched after after the sustained word of mouth and I’m glad I did, they were both great and could have been AotY for me if they weren’t the same year as Mob. Hopefully the next season of Gundam is just as good.

Chainsaw Man was good, if not quite reaching the hype there was around to before it released. Honestly I’m more interested in checking out the manga than future seasons of an anime.

Spy x Family was fun, but tbh I kind of tapped out on it after the first cour as it was feeling pretty formulaic by that point.

No idea what’s coming out next year beyond the next cour of Gundam and the Witch Hat Atelier adaption, really hoping both of those are good.

Great list! I haven’t seen all of these, but of the ones I have I enjoyed them all. Of the shows I watched this year, I’d rank them as follows:

1. Mob Psycho 100
2. Bocchi the Rock
3. Gundam: Witch From Mercury
4. Chainsaw Man
5. Spy x Family

The last few arcs of Mob covered are my favourite in the series so there was never really any chance of another show beating that for me, but that still doesn’t diminish the impact of just how good this adaption was. Shoenen is very much an ‘I sleep’ genre for me usually, but ONE is such an incredible writer that I’ll follow whatever he creates.

Bocchi and Gundam I caved and watched after after the sustained word of mouth and I’m glad I did, they were both great and could have been AotY for me if they weren’t the same year as Mob. Hopefully the next season of Gundam is just as good.

Chainsaw Man was good, if not quite reaching the hype there was around to before it released. Honestly I’m more interested in checking out the manga than future seasons of an anime.

Spy x Family was fun, but tbh I kind of tapped out on it after the first cour as it was feeling pretty formulaic by that point.

No idea what’s coming out next year beyond the next cour of Gundam and the Witch Hat Atelier adaption, really hoping both of those are good.
Thank you! I also watched Chainsaw Man last year. I’m glad I saw it and I did enjoy parts of it (the awesome character / action animation and some of the characters), but I’m not always the biggest fan of more intense violence so I think I’m skipping out on future seasons for that reason.

Not really sure this year what I’m looking forward to walking in either. Definitely the fourth Madoka movie, Gundam S2, Spy X Family S2 and the movie, and Dr. Stone S3 at least.

Honestly I’m more interested in checking out the manga than future seasons of an anime
Comparing the Chainsaw Man anime and manga, the anime did a much better job at setting the atmosphere, selling the characters and choreographing the fight sequences. I actually thought the Chainsaw Man manga was just okay til a certain arc that the anime will get to in Part 2, so yeah.

Mob Psycho 100
Mob really was fantastic. Still unbelievably satisfied with what we got. It’s a story that feels so complete.

No idea what’s coming out next year
Not really sure this year what I’m looking forward to
Hmmm, I’m a bit curious, am I the only seasonal anime watcher here?

I usually watch like three or four shows each season. Last season I watched seven. Usually there’s one or two I hear about that sound interesting walking in (Bocchi was actually one I was excited about walking into the prior season) and then I might pick up a show or two if people are excited about it. I obviously watch sequel seasons of stuff I enjoyed previously.

This season I’m committed for sure to Trails of Cold Steel Northern War, Nier Automata Ver1.1a, My Hero Academia Season 6, and Nijiyon. So basically all things I’m familiar with so far (and so far so good on all four!), but I have a few others I might try out. I was busy last week watching AGDQ so I haven’t made the time yet. Curious to hear what people are enjoying.

Curious to hear what people are enjoying
Oh well it’s a bit too early to tell but there’s some good stuff out already, especially for fantasy fans. I’m watching around 30 anime right now, think I’ll be dropping around ten of them by the time their third episodes roll around

Oh well it’s a bit too early to tell but there’s some good stuff out already, especially for fantasy fans. I’m watching around 30 anime right now, think I’ll be dropping around ten of them by the time their third episodes roll around
That’s hardcore. Most I ever tried was ten and it fell apart for me lol.

I tried following a lot of seasonals back in 2018, but since I don't drop stuff often, it was a pretty miserable experience. Now I just watch anime I think I'll like, and of the shows from last year I watched, Shikimori was probably the only one I was meh on.

For upcoming stuff, I really just want to hear something about the new Spice and Wolf anime that was announced almost a year ago.

I’ve got a ton of shows I’m watching this season but over half haven’t started for me cause I’m waiting for the confirmed dubs

I feel like High Card and Hikari no Ou (forgot the english name... something fire hunter) will be glossed over by most because this season is stacked so much already.

Which is too bad because they have a lot of potential both of them!

That’s hardcore
I just like watching stuff and animation tends to jive with my tastes the most

I tried following a lot of seasonals back in 2018, but since I don't drop stuff often, it was a pretty miserable experience
Yeah, I think if you’re gonna try out a lot of stuff you have to be willing to drop stuff. Definitely also had problems with not completing shows before when I was a teenager, but now with more limited time I’ve gotten a lot more ruthless about abandoning shows haha

new Spice and Wolf anime
Oh yeah, I heard about that too. Excited for that!

High Card and Hikari no Ou (forgot the english name... something fire hunter)
It’s The Fire Hunter for Hikari no Ou.

And unfortunately a lot of good shows really will end up getting overshadowed no matter the season. But at least for those two anime I can see them having sizable audiences. High Card is a slick spy flick with superpowers and pretty boys, while Hikari no Ou is helmed by Mamoru Oshii, which should draw in viewers.

If it’s not something I was already aware of, my general method for jumping into a new anime is waiting to see what are the shows that have the best word of mouth. This was basically how I discovered Bocchi and Gundam this year, and why I usually end up watching like 3 shows a year.

Me seeing how big Bocchi has gotten on the interwebs:

oh-hell-yeah-wrestling.gif

Discotek's Gunbuster BD is coming out on April 25th! Hard to believe this was announced back in the middle of 2021, but it's finally almost here!

Unless it's an IP or creative I'm already familiar with, I tend to not jump into anything blind. I've been watching Revenger because the head writer is Gen Urobuchi, but nothing else seasonal. Compared to last season where I was watching Gundam, Chainsaw Man, Mob Psycho 100 and Spy X Family.

I also later watched Bocchi after it aired due to WOM and enjoyed it.

I finished Chainsaw Man the other night and I walked away with mixed emotions, due in no real part to the anime itself.

I thought it was fantastic. As I said the other day, I couldn’t get enough of it. It’s probably the only show I’ve ever binged. I just had to know what happened next.

I did feel like the last episode just… ended? The climatic fight felt a little short and lacking that special sauce to take the finale over the top. But overall I felt satisfied and was left wanting more.

I thought the cast was excellent. Aki and Himeno were both fantastic, while I warmed to Power over time.

But I’ve got to give top honours to Makima - just a powerhouse of a character. Calm, unnerving, seductive, scary, playful, mysterious - every time she was on screen I sat up and took notice. You can’t take your eyes off her. She was simultaneously a comforting presence, and a dark cloud hanging over the entire story, Just brilliant.

Denji started off relatable, but with a horny edge and childish demeanour. I liked him… and I still do, but I’ve got to say, by the end he was the least interesting character for me. And some of his more grating characteristics take centre stage towards the end of the show. I’m sure some people will like how he’s handled more than me though.

Again, I still like him, I just didn’t like him as much as the others.

Which is why, after finishing the anime and getting caught up to speed with the manga, I’m gutted to hear that everyone I like gets killed off. It makes me question becoming too invested in the story. And that’s a huge bummer for me. I’m gutted. The manga has a habit of bringing in new characters only to kill them off. So yeah, I finished the show delighted, but reading ahead took the wind out of my sails.

All that said, I adored it overall. I’m a Makima fan… no matter what!

I did feel like the last episode just… ended?
Unfortunately that’s the reality of split cour shows. Just keep in mind we’re not supposed to think of it as the “last episode”.

he was the least interesting character for me
I also don’t find Denji interesting. In fact the only characters I actually find interesting are Aki and Makima.

And yeah re: the manga if I recall correctly the only characters to survive to Part 2 are Denji, Kishibe and Kobeni. So I’m also screwed in terms of characters I like haha.

Unfortunately that’s the reality of split cour shows. Just keep in mind we’re not supposed to think of it as the “last episode”.

I also don’t find Denji interesting. In fact the only characters I actually find interesting are Aki and Makima.

And yeah re: the manga if I recall correctly the only characters to survive to Part 2 are Denji, Kishibe and Kobeni. So I’m also screwed in terms of characters I like haha.
You’re absolutely right - it’s not an ending as you say, not in the larger continuity anyway. But with that in mind, I wish they’d embellished the final confrontation a little bit. It felt a bit small time.

Denji’s not even the main character at the moment, is he? I know he goes through some good growth soon after the anime ends…

… but I still wish we could hang on to some of those characters a little longer. As you say, Aki and Makima are the standouts. Though I suppose it’s fair to say, the way those characters are used, their end is inevitable. Still a bummer though.

I’m looking for my next anime now. Anyone got any recommendations?

My favourites over the last year - including those I caught up on - Violet Evergarden, Bunny Girl Senpai, Bocchi, Lycoris Recoil, Chainsaw Man, and Spy Family.

Though I will say I’m really struggling to get through the second part of Spy Family. Up to episode 19 and it feels a bit painful to watch at the moment.

But with that in mind, I wish they’d embellished the final confrontation a little bit. It felt a bit small time
They actually did embellish the fight, it was less bombastic in the manga. I think there’s just really no perfect stopping point for this point in the story, unless the animators make one.

Denji’s not even the main character at the moment, is he?
He is the main character.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Off the top my head, at least for 2022 releases, probably safe recs are Ranking of Kings, Summer Time Render, Ya Boy Kongming, Birdie Wing, Fuuto PI, Ao Ashi, and Blue Lock.

You’re absolutely right - it’s not an ending as you say, not in the larger continuity anyway. But with that in mind, I wish they’d embellished the final confrontation a little bit. It felt a bit small time.

Denji’s not even the main character at the moment, is he? I know he goes through some good growth soon after the anime ends…

… but I still wish we could hang on to some of those characters a little longer. As you say, Aki and Makima are the standouts. Though I suppose it’s fair to say, the way those characters are used, their end is inevitable. Still a bummer though.

I’m looking for my next anime now. Anyone got any recommendations?

My favourites over the last year - including those I caught up on - Violet Evergarden, Bunny Girl Senpai, Bocchi, Lycoris Recoil, Chainsaw Man, and Spy Family.

Though I will say I’m really struggling to get through the second part of Spy Family. Up to episode 19 and it feels a bit painful to watch at the moment.
I want to recommend Gundam The Witch From Mercury if you haven't checked it out yet. It's unconnected to any of the previous series so you can dive right in. Make sure you start with the Prologue, Episode 0, if you do check it out. It's available on Crunchyroll at least.

Haven’t seen today’s episode, but the Nier Automata anime is going on indefinite hiatus due to Covid. They are just going to repeat the first three episodes each week in Japan.

Reincarnated as a slime: The Scarlet Bond (dub)
Had a really good time. Sterling example of a side story that builds on the lore, has fun with some established ideas, and expands things in a way that works whether it's canon or not. Loved how they pulled back the old plot point of the ogre village destruction as a starting point. Using a primordial demon as the main plot driver without Violet being direct antagonistic, it wasn't a big bad it was a scheming minion too big for their britches. Hiro and Toa were fun characters and all the main folks in play got to have some fun. Composition was good and just had a good time overall

Sigh I was the only one in the theater tho

I just kind of stopped watching anime a month or two ago, so I didn't finish Mob Psycho, Bocchi, Witch from Mercury, or Villainess. The only one I'm 100% going back to is Mob.

I checked out of Witch from Mercury when it turned into a "kids start a company to show grown-ups things can be different" kind of story. As the cast of teens got bigger, they all seemed to fit the usual anime stock types. The duels lost their edge as well, because Ariel seemed to find magic to win whatever happened.

I'm watching an anime weekly as it comes out for what I think is the first time ever. I have no idea what the release schedule looks like so I feel like one week it's just not gonna be there lmao

Finished catching up with the new Gundam series today...it's only a little over two months away, but this is going to be a rough wait for more episodes.

I'm watching an anime weekly as it comes out for what I think is the first time ever. I have no idea what the release schedule looks like so I feel like one week it's just not gonna be there lmao
You can use anichart to see a countdown for the next episode of current seasonals.

Vinland Saga Season 2 is already so good after just two episodes. I'm not into many animes/mangas, but I like this a lot, I really can't get enough of it.

I was surprised there hadn't been any more comments here about Vinland Saga. It's a well done story.

I was surprised there hadn't been any more comments here about Vinland Saga. It's a well done story.
I try to refrain from commenting about it since I’m up to date with the manga and I prefer to stop myself from even hinting at anything spoiler-y.

But as far as general impressions of the anime adaptation goes, MAPPA has done a fantastic job. They even got a Nordic person to recite the poem at the beginning.

I could do a general early impressions thing for everything I’m watching this season. Maybe, if I have time haha.

Kaina of the Great Snow Sea is a very , very good show. I know that for some people the CGI can be distracting, but really I consider this peak Tsutomu Nihei and I always have loved the way he really goes with the "show , don't tell" and his uh... vertical "fetish" (seriously whats with him and tall structures lol). he does a very good work with the world building and the music and it just chapter 3 but it really makes you wonder how the people are living in the snow sea. So if you like Nauisicaa, you shoul watch this

how do you people wait a week for things? I'm going nuts
I mostly just do other stuff lol. If you are watching a few things though a season that helps make the wait for a particular show sting less and I also have a giant backlog of shows I can dip into when I’m caught up on simulcasts.

What are you watching this season?

I mostly just do other stuff lol. If you are watching a few things though a season that helps make the wait for a particular show sting less and I also have a giant backlog of shows I can dip into when I’m caught up on simulcasts.
I'm actually not too bothered by the wait, it's just so foreign to me. Most of the time I don't even think about it, naturally

What are you watching this season?
I'll never tell

I'll never tell
Clearly watching the most degenerate stuff

how do you people wait a week for things? I'm going nuts
I watch a lot of things and I also have other hobbies like browsing Famiboards

Kaina of the Great Snow Sea is a very , very good show
I'd even call it great, though I have always loved Nihei's brand of speculative fiction. The world for Kaina in particular is very interesting, it most reminds me of a dome biosphere. Also like seeing highly advanced tech in relatively low-tech societies.

the music
The piano riffs in the opening song are hauntingly beautiful.

it really makes you wonder how the people are living in the snow sea
Especially since the snow is definitely not normal snow. We'll probably learn more come episode 4.

Clearly watching the most degenerate stuff

I watch a lot of things and I also have other hobbies like browsing Famiboards

I'd even call it great, though I have always loved Nihei's brand of speculative fiction. The world for Kaina in particular is very interesting, it most reminds me of a dome biosphere. Also like seeing highly advanced tech in relatively low-tech societies.

The piano riffs in the opening song are hauntingly beautiful.

Especially since the snow is definitely not normal snow. We'll probably learn more come episode 4.
Yeah one thing I find interesting is the bugs, not only for the plot (which is a thing considering they repair the dome), but as a food. How the princess mention that on the snow sea they also have limited resources I would think they would also go for bugs as a food resource considering there are a lot and they can still go to the roots of the orbital trees, but its completely alien to her to eat them.

Also considering what they shown so far I think the snow is just the debris of the bugs working on fixing the dome, which makes sense as it's pretty much what the bugs do all the time

I think the snow is just the debris of the bugs working on fixing the dome
The snow seems to be coming from fungal growths (or at least they look fungal) on the Canopy's higher branches

they also have limited resources I would think they would also go for bugs as a food resource considering there are a lot and they can still go to the roots of the orbital trees, but its completely alien to her to eat them
Solid point. Atland does support a population of over a thousand people, so evidently they're not so strapped for resources that they have to hunt the bugs. Maybe there's edible fish in the snow sea? I guess those sea-horses could be eaten, too. Aside from that I'm curious what the agricultural situation looks like. Seems like the only "land" they have is the the bases of the trees themselves.

The snow seems to be coming from fungal growths (or at least they look fungal) on the Canopy's higher branches

Solid point. Atland does support a population of over a thousand people, so evidently they're not so strapped for resources that they have to hunt the bugs. Maybe there's edible fish in the snow sea? I guess those sea-horses could be eaten, too. Aside from that I'm curious what the agricultural situation looks like. Seems like the only "land" they have is the the bases of the trees themselves.
YEah the fungus make sense, that or seeds.

As for agriculture, yeah I'm guessing they feed with moss or something, can't imagen growing something on the trees bases.

Also watching it again, I found funny that the other country is looking for the princess, asuming "hey maybe the want to capture her to use it against the king" but no, at least at the end the soldiers are certainly ready to kill them without hesitation, and the commander of the ship doesn't seems to care much lol

Gigguk comes in with his usual best anime of the year videos and again makes some pretty solid picks for the top spots. Definitely agreeing with him on how 2022 was an incredible year for the medium.

Been a weird season for me so far. My Hero Academia is my biggest show, but it’s still catching up to where I read in the manga and it’s just dragging hanging out in the hospital. Not next week, but the week after it should enter new to me content which I’m excited about. I was enjoying Nier Automata, but that got put on indefinite hiatus. A third show I was enjoying was the Trails of Cold Steel anime, but the moment it announced they got both Rean and Altina’s English VAs among others I decided to wait for the English dub, so next week will finally be new again for me. Don’t think I’ve ever restarted a show for the English dub, but I’ve played all the games in English minus Crossbell so it felt like the right call. Since I’ll be behind a few weeks waiting for dub episodes, I’ll have to avoid all discussion on it which is a bummer. At least Nijiyon is going smoothly, but every episode is only three minutes long lol. I’m caught up with everything and I shouldn’t be too busy this week, so maybe I’ll finally check out another show currently airing. I was leaning toward Trigun.

Megaton for the new PreCure season - Cure Wing on the left is the first male Cure that's part of the main team, and Cure Butterfly on the right is the first adult Cure that is part of the main team. It's the 20th anniversary season so they're going all out.

(Note more just my most fave stuff than a super hard order or anything)

Anime TV Series
1. Bocchi the Rock!
Great show that just resonated with me way to much so slipped up here as a result XD. As someone with social anxiety I’ve experimented with sooo many ways to connect to people and I’ve messed with music too. Great songs on top of that
2. Demon Girl Next Door S2
Great followup, excellent pacing for a 4-Kona adaption, lots of fun and cuteness all around
3. My Master Has No Tail
A show about finding a place to belong in an ever changing world, how performers are all insane, and Mameda learning there’s more than one way to influence people. Open ended but better than truncating it with an anime original one.
4. Life With an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated Into a Total Fantasy Knockout [C]
I laughed, I cried, it doubled up on the absurdity while messing with tropes. I will never forget you pool party temple
5. Akiba Maid War
Started wild and kept amping the stakes while having a good amount of heart
6. Ya Boy Kongming
Great twist on the reincarnation setup, a solid story and some amazing music
7. I’m the Villainess so I’m Taming the final boss
Aileen was endearingly aggressive(even if she veered a touch too close to Yandere at times!) 3 solid and dilineated arcs, and a super chilling true villainess who viewed the world as nothing more than a game.
8. Management of a Novice Alchemist
Protag is refreshingly pragmatic and doesn’t give into being a complete bleeding heart. Fun story and just a delightful journey
9. My Dressup darling
Wholesome yet pervy. Just a really fun story of a person getting pulled out of their shell by someone doing what they love while learning they can do more with what they love.
10. Executioner and her Way of Life
Rare Isekai from the perspective of a native in a world where reincarnators are literal calamities was a wild ride. Discovering the colead had the concept of time was straight up horrifying as we discovered the world lore and what could happen if she’s not killed

(The reasoning on these are easy. 2 are confirmed 2-cours in the middle of the story and I can’t rightly judge where it’ll end. The other is a 4-cour best of adaption and is also a highly subjective comedy)
Honorable mentions
1)Mobile Suit Gundam the Witch from Mercury
Wild ride, mysteries abound and that cliffhanger, man. Sad its another season for the second half but in for this wild ride. Too much left for an aoty listing
2)Birdie Wing
Fun ride the whole way but went on break right as the big next arc started so didn’t make the aoty list for judgement yet
3)Urusei Yatsura All Stars [OP] [ED]
Honestly one of the best adaptions I’ve seen for a definitive take, and an excellent approach for a long running older gag manga. Character intros rearranged for better flow. Weaker stories combined into one better flowing one, rough edges smoothed and weak elements cut. No episodic 360+ chapter gag manga needs to be fully adapted and this series has done an excellent job of curating what it’s working with for what will likely be the definitive version of this series. Killer OP ED pair too. Butttt 3 more cours so not making my list proper till it wraps up
4) Healer girl

Cute and endearing with some great music, just barely got edged off the list

Hidden gems
1)Miss Kuroitsu from Monster Development
An awesome homage to Toku hero shows and magical girl shows. A fun look at the management side of an evil organization. Just barely missed my main list
2)Teppen!!!
Comedy is subjective but this had a ton of gags I loved. Just not enough to make the main list. Definitely worth the journey
3)Romantic Killer
I liked the more comedic first half better and the second half went into some dark territory but the overall journey was fun and well handled. But open ended on all fronts so that may not sit well with some.

Anime Movies
1. Dragonball Super Heroes
Piccolo side story with a real world insect based powerup look. Still annoyed they don’t have Piccolo iterating moves but still a fun moment for him
2. One Piece Film Red
Awesome music and a cool retcon for why Luffy wanted a musician so bad!

Last edited:

Megaton for the new PreCure season - Cure Wing on the left is the first male Cure that's part of the main team, and Cure Butterfly on the right is the first adult Cure that is part of the main team. It's the 20th anniversary season so they're going all out.

Should have Cure Henry since Huggto honestly, but it's finally time. Also wouldn't Asumi / Cure Earth would be technically the first adult cure? Not counting the "she was born right there" she def. was coded 20+

Hey Fami~

I’m thinking about watching Love Live Superstars tonight. I loved the original, and I thought Sunshine was okay, I never watched the second season for that one, but I keep seeing clips of Superstars and, the characters entice me more as they seem more over the top and varied. Has anyone seen this one?

Hey Fami~

I’m thinking about watching Love Live Superstars tonight. I loved the original, and I thought Sunshine was okay, I never watched the second season for that one, but I keep seeing clips of Superstars and, the characters entice me more as they seem more over the top and varied. Has anyone seen this one?
I like Love Live Superstar a lot, especially the first season that focuses on the first five members. I’m not sure I’d say Liella is more varied or over the top however in comparison to μ's or Aqours though as there are a lot of similar character types across groups. The animation is spectacular though, the show has great positive energy and humor, I really like the main character, and the songs are great. I’d at least give it a try through episode 3 which iirc is the first performance.

I like Love Live Superstar a lot, especially the first season that focuses on the first five members. I’m not sure I’d say Liella is more varied or over the top however in comparison to μ's or Aqours though as there are a lot of similar character types across groups. The animation is spectacular though, the show has great positive energy and humor, I really like the main character, and the songs are great. I’d at least give it a try through episode 3 which iirc is the first performance.
Thank you for the reply, Ghost! I’ll make sure to keep you/the thread updated with my thoughts.

I saw the first 40 seconds of a performance from apparently episode 10 from the blonde girl in it, and that’s what kickstarted me to be like “Okay. I seriously need to watch this, this looks amazing.”

Back
Top Bottom