• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV [Anime] Log Horizon : How to make the worst MMORPG

Koren Lesthe

Turrican, Terranigma and ESO lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Trigger Warning : awful anime tropes.

I used to watch Swort Art Online until the end of the first arc and stopped watching as soon as the second one started, especially because of the god awful tropes they used as soon as we started to learn how the real world life of our characters is (famous "it's not incest sincer it's my adopted sister" and "I might do things to your wife while she sleep, fu fu fu I'm evil because reasons"

So I never cared for anything beyond the second episode of SAO Season 2.

Then years later, my brother make me watch nine episodes of Log Horizon, a "SAO-like" with characters being isekai into a MMORPG they can't escape, with the main difference being that players don't die for real when their character die.

Your honor, she's not my real sister, so it's ok ? No ?

Log Horizon is like "MMORPG for noobies", with each episode explaining various gameplay elements that are extremely common (XP, Classes, Skills, Guilds...), it feels like a bad tutorial you can't skip. The first episode also starts by presenting two of the main characters, especially insisting how much of a pervert the best friend of the hero is, always wanting to see some woman briefs. Again. And again. And again. And again. And again. But then, a new character joins and since she is an assassin, she starts considering the hero like her master and talks to him like he really is. And the pervert find her attractive despite looking like a 13 yo.

I'd like to remind you that they are characters playing a MMORPG.

To save some time and also try to keep my sanity high enough before I get to the other part ; Log Horizon uses almost every single anime trope like its life depends on it. It's so bad I've I thought I'd had a better time playing Star Ocean The Last Hope instead.

I watched Sword Art Online Abridged who made fun of how broken the rules of the game are and how the game would've been considered one of the worst MMORPG ever made if it existed -without the real death thing-, but I believe Log Horizon easily takes the cake. Keep in mind that this was released a year AFTER Sword Art Online.

Ubisoft presents : Léa Passion Game Design

In Log Horizon, dying makes your items fall on the ground for anyone to steal it. And I mean, anyone.

You joined a Guild ? Fantastic ! Now you can't leave it unless you get to the Main Guild Hall and ask to leave. Be aware that the Main Guild Hall master may refuse.

The Guild Hall houses portals to every Guild. The Guild Masters can force its member to not be able to leave its own Guild Portal once inside.

The Guild Masters can hurt its own members inside its own Guild Portal.

Any player can purchase the Main Guild Hall and thus, become the Main Guild Master who decide who can enter each guild portal, including Guild Masters, establishing their own non sensical rules.

Also, the game got only 30.000 players on day one in Japan and Japanese players can only play in the Japanese world inside the game.

Eternal Sonata: The death scene* extended (10 hours)

Everything I saw in these nine episodes made me realize how much of a better job Sword Art Online did about establishing not only its world, rules, characters and even talk about the real world, who made the game, the tech behind the headset and so many things. Sure, SAO was full of problems but still, its first season was, in my eyes, very, very good. It made me watch anime again after years of giving 0 fucks about it for the exact reasons I stopped watching as soon as the second season started.

Does it get better ? I am wrong ? Wasn't I the good target (I believe showing a pervert who keeps thinking that very young "women" characters are attractive is clearly not for me) ?

PS * :
About the Eternal Sonata death scene, this isn't about what happens at the end but about the death of one of your teammates that happens
and last 8 minutes while the characters keeps talking and talking and talking and talking...
The game pretends this is important, poetic and beautiful but it is so badly writen and played that it makes the scene unvolontarly funny.

Back
Top Bottom