• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film American Film Institute has released their 10 best films and TV shows of 2021.

E

Emily

The American Film Institute has released their 10 best films and TV shows of the year.

I've actually seen a few of these. Good, I can still call myself a film nerd.

WandaVision wasn't even the best Marvel TV show this year, lol.

How did Squid Game not get on this list? Unless it's only counting strictly American productions.

I have seen... None of these
I can vouch for Dune, King Richard, and Reservation Dogs. I also loved WandaVision but not everyone is into the Marvel stuff so that's a YMMV. Gonna catch West Side Story this weekend and hopefully be blown away (I ❤️ Spielberg)

WandaVision wasn't even the best Marvel TV show this year, lol.

How did Squid Game not get on this list? Unless it's only counting strictly American productions.
AFI only counts American productions. Same reason Belfast only got a special award for an international production, hence why something with mixed reviews like Nightmare Alley or Don't Look Up likely made the final 10.
It's too early to do this for movies. A good portion of the list hasn't even seen a wide release yet.
Right, but all press and critics and voting bodies have seen these films. Critics start awarding movies around this time every year. It's why the Golden Globes and Oscars are way more exciting from a populist standpoint, since we will have all seen some of the nominees by then.

This is a solid list, though I have yet to see Nightmare Alley, Licorice Pizza, The Tragedy of Macbeth, or West Side Story since they haven't gone wide yet like you said. I'm watching Coda this weekend.

This year, I really liked Dune and Belfast, liked Tick Tick Boom quite a bit, and loved The Power of the Dog. C'mon C'mon is a beautiful film that wasn't recognized here, as are The Green Knight and Pig, imo.

AFI only counts American productions. Same reason Belfast only got a special award for an international production, hence why something with mixed reviews like Nightmare Alley or Don't Look Up likely made the final 10.

Right, but all press and critics and voting bodies have seen these films. Critics start awarding movies around this time every year. It's why the Golden Globes and Oscars are way more exciting from a populist standpoint, since we will have all seen some of the nominees by then.

This is a solid list, though I have yet to see Nightmare Alley, Licorice Pizza, The Tragedy of Macbeth, or West Side Story since they haven't gone wide yet like you said. I'm watching Coda this weekend.

This year, I really liked Dune and Belfast, liked Tick Tick Boom quite a bit, and loved The Power of the Dog. C'mon C'mon is a beautiful film that wasn't recognized here, as are The Green Knight and Pig, imo.
I don't watch a ton of movies but I've heard nothing but great things about The Green knight. It and Dune are probably the two movies I most want to see that I haven't gotten around to yet.

WandaVision absolutely does not deserve that placement.

If any of the marvel properties from this year were going to get on a list like this, WandaVision is definitely the only one that could reasonably do so. It certainly stumbled at the finish line, but going through parodying the sitcoms in the earlier episodes reasonably well will have put it in competition.

Surprised by the Wandavision hate in here, it's one of two bearable things they've put out in quite some time lol. I might just about understand if people's problem is that Marvel shouldn't be there at all, but they were a big thing in TV this year and when you're restricted to American productions it's not like the standard is that high across the board anyway. 🤷‍♂️

People should watch Schmigadoon if they haven't. Great cast, with a good guest turn from Jane Krakowski later on.

Only seen four of the films (Dune, King Richard, tick tick BOOM and Power of the Dog) but I can get onboard with them receiving plaudits here. Have heard very very mixed things about Don't Look Up though so I'm not unconvinced it's on this list purely due to the star power behind it...

Would have been nice to see Pig and Mitchell vs the Machines get some attention here but can't say anything doesn't deserve to be there without seeing them first.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, I enjoyed King Richard and thought the cast was uniformly great, but I'm seriously surprised at how big an Oscar contender it's become - I thought the script and direction were just fine. But it's a crowdpleaser during a weak year, so I do understand.

Surprised by the Wandavision hate in here, it's one of two bearable things they've put out in quite some time lol. I might just about understand if people's problem is that Marvel shouldn't be there at all, but they were a big thing in TV this year and when you're restricted to American productions it's not like the standard is that high across the board anyway. 🤷‍♂️

People should watch Schmigadoon if they haven't. Great cast, with a good guest turn from Jane Krakowski later on.
first bit of Wanda vision is okay but episode 4 is just bad marvel stuff and the end is bad marvel stuff as well. I guess it got there along with Ted lasso because there weren't too many TV shows this year

WandaVision is my favorite Marvel show so far..
9e7ef24da34ab6eba32bbc7fee71c6a3

Not putting Chucky on there, sad. That was WAY better than I had expected. I honestly think it should stay as a TV series going forward honestly. I would be worried what would happen if it gets shit canned by SyFy and/or USA Network.

Yeah the Chucky show was the biggest surprise of the year. Mare of Easttown was really good. Dune was excellent. Seems like everyone at work is always talking up Succession.

I really want to see The Tragedy of Macbeth and Nightmare Alley.

Tick tick boom was surprisingly excellent and moving to me. I hope We Are Lady Parts gets some awards season appreciation. It's a really moving, funny and genuine show with richly-drawn characters.

How did Arcane not place on the top 10 TV show list? Breath-taking CGI and solid tearjerking story.

Okay this might be why, French studio produced it.

Wandavision over Loki? Disappointing.
The first fell apart in it's climac

I'll never understand how people can look at wandavision and complain about the climax but then in the same breath say Loki's was good when it was effectively some asshole who had nothing to do with the characters monologuing for a big chunk of the episode.

The ending episode of loki did a terrible job of resolving any of the character arcs of the series, instead opting to appeal to people who like reading Wikipedia articles so they can say 'I got that reference!'

I'll never understand how people can look at wandavision and complain about the climax but then in the same breath say Loki's was good when it was effectively some asshole who had nothing to do with the characters monologuing for a big chunk of the episode.

The ending episode of loki did a terrible job of resolving any of the character arcs of the series, instead opting to appeal to people who like reading Wikipedia articles so they can say 'I got that reference!'

I take a great delivered monologue all day over a climax that turns a show with a unique idea and vibe in a bog-standard Marvel thing.

The DefunctLand FastPass documentary was robbed!

it wasn't that great, just one of the few movies I've seen that came of this year.

Back
Top Bottom