• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Alright. Educate me on burn in, y’all: Or - help me not ruin my new Switch

Tendo

The Dark Space
Ok, Friday fast approaches, and I keep hearing burn in is a huge issue. And that it also isn’t. So what do we need to do / avoid to mitigate burn in? I already heard play with brightness not at 100% Which… I love having a nice bright display! But what else can we do? Go back to the Home Screen every so often? Try to avoid playing more than x minutes? What are your plans to take care of and extend the life of your switch screen?

Just avoid having something fully static on the image for long periods of time.

I can't speak for the new Switch but I've never done anything special for my vita or phone and have never had the slightest problem at all. I got the impression it is more of an issue with the massive 40+ inch tv screens than sub 10 inch portable screens. Though I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
If you're a monster hunter player, you're already gonna be screwed.
As a MH player hide most of you hud, when exploring your healt and stamina bar will also hide so there will be minimal static icons on the screen.

I feel a bit better now. Just didn’t realize how fragile these panels can be. Oof.

From my understanding the best thing you can do is not play for more than an hour at a time, which is honestly better for your eyes anyway.

Honestly there are very little chances you ever get burn in.

For that to happen you would have to either leave your console turned on, playing a game with auto sleep turned off, or play a game with static hud for continuous hours without the hud ever moving. The only possible scenario for the latter I can think of is if you play a retro game with borders. That's the only case I'd advise caution.

OLED burn in is mostly a non issue now, most screens have burn in resistant features. As long as you don't leave your switch on 24 hours a day you'll most likely be ok. Look up YouTube videos on burn in tests for modern OLED screens.

Honestly there are very little chances you ever get burn in.

For that to happen you would have to either leave your console turned on, playing a game with auto sleep turned off, or play a game with static hud for continuous hours without the hud ever moving. The only possible scenario for the latter I can think of is if you play a retro game with borders. That's the only case I'd advise caution.
You would still be safe if those borders are black though right?

I can't speak for the new Switch but I've never done anything special for my vita or phone and have never had the slightest problem at all. I got the impression it is more of an issue with the massive 40+ inch tv screens than sub 10 inch portable screens. Though I don't know for sure.
Nah, small screens get it too, my old phone got a tiny bit of burn in after a few years.
You would still be safe if those borders are black though right?
If it’s true black then it’s fine, the brighter the color the worse it is for the panel.

Back
Top Bottom