• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour Alpha footage of the new "Animal Crossing-like" game from Hoyoverse has leaked

The only way this game could ever damage AC is if Nintendo keep being terrible at supporting games with new content. If they treat the next AC like new horizons, with barely new content after launch, I can see people use this as an alternative to it when they get bored.

also if someone is still treating Genshin as just a BOTW ripoff (or a creatively bankrupt game) after almost 4 years, 4 big af regions+expansions and 100+hours of content added through quests and more + what they're doing with the next region Natlan then they're still stuck at "guy smashes ps4 in rage" and never bothered checking it again. Even in 1.0 it had at most some surface level similarities.

Genshin came out fast as well due to how they could reuse Breath of the wild assets and even the UI from the game.
What asset reuse from BOTW? The grass? Also game strated development in 2017 and released in late 2020 with asignificanltly smaller map that BOTW not as much content and no complex Physics system, that's how it took 3 years to develop which is still a long time.
EBDW9CCWsAEaTXC

Reminds me of something...Hmm what could it be.
So you used a screenshot from.... when the game was revealed, so even before Closed Beta test 1 and long before release. Now let's use a screenshot of the UI from when the game released (and still used today)
genshin-impact-cooking-options.jpg

Last edited:
Those character designs are aggressively hideous. I'm skeptical that any F2P New Horizons clone will do very well. If people hated the crafting elements in a $60 game they'll absolutely despise the crafting systems in a F2P game. Adding garden shears and a pickaxe to Animal Crossing's fishing pole, bug net, shovel, and axe sounds hellish.

I enjoy most of the hoyoverse games, but not sure how likely I'd pick up this one.

I like relying on certain styles for the home furnishings and clothings. Needing to survive on RNG gatcha in order to get a particular type of furniture or piece of clothing I don't have enough care for.

I can already see a situation where having 50x free rolls to have a chance at a blue stylish couch that I am after in their Furniture section of banners. Ending up with a bunch of wooden tables, chairs, every other color of the couch except for blue, and random golden versions of furniture I think is tacky even though they are really rare and hard to get. Is not something I'd particularly care for. Especially needing to do it every time I want the home to be a certain way.

Very original, much like their other games.
Video game copy-cats have existed since the dawn of the entire industry. Between doom-likes, souls-likes, DMC-likes, and countless other’s it’s wild to see members of this forum acting like HoYo is the only one doing something that companies have been doing for ages.

There are, of course, valid concerns with gacha’s as a whole and the predatory nature of that type of game, but when someone is in here saying Nintendo shouldn’t allow a game on their console because it’s “copying them” is fucking wild. It’s not like there are, you know, dozens upon dozens of Metroidvania’s in the eshop or anything which was literally born from checks notes the Metroid series!

It honestly reeks of Sinophobia and it’s just kind of gross.

Or maybe there's no conspiracy and the game looks like a copy paste of another game with some ugly characters thrown in?

Game industry now is about copying Nintendo games but make them gacha and GAAS instead.
To be fair, Nintendo did that to themselves with FE Heroes and it had made them a billion dollars or something at the last count.

I mean if you are gonna copy someone it may as well be the genre king. There is little reason to look elsewhere otherwise. I suspect both will be able to coexist since I also doubt they’ll be hitting the same audience regardless.

I can already tell this game and the next Animal Crossing game are going to be compared to each other ad nauseam. I can't wait for all the doom posting about how Nintendo is killing Animal Crossing because it doesn't get as many updates as a mobile gacha game.

Characters being anime girls instead of cute animals will alienate far too many people for this to be a threat to the next AC

Resetti tried to warn us, we pressed the reset button too many times, and all we are left with are gacha girls and still no direct

This is absolutely dangerous for Nintendo.
Forget the steam deck, a mobile free AAA Animal Crossing is actual competition.
If all it took for a game to be ‘dangerous’ to a full-price Nintendo game was its core concept turned into a FTP game stacked with micro transactions, or even just a cheaper indie game in the same genre that’s similarly derivative, then animal crossing would have been in trouble from various FTP life sim games years ago even if they didn’t ape it’s concept quite so closely. So would Zelda, Mario, Advance Wars and plenty of others.

It isn’t just Animal Crossing’s gameplay loop of being a life sim, stripped of it’s appeal, art direction and wholesome whimsical charm (and lack of predatory gambling mechanics linked to microtransactions) that all matches up to make AC, that makes it what it is. If just copying the loop and pasting microtransactions onto it was all it took, then all of Nintendo’s IP would have been threatened years ago, along with plenty of other big hitters in various genres.

The truth is there’s a ton of gacha games about paying to roll the dice (either with time or cash) to collect pictures of anime girls. That’s what this is selling, pasted onto AC’s loop. The latter isn’t the only thing AC has, any more than all manner of other such games taking a pop at leading games in a genre. Pokemon and Zelda are still around too, and still will be with new games in those IP long after the servers of various GAAS gacha titles that challenge them are closed. That’s just the nature of GAAS in general, the idea of games as a temporary thing that only lasts as long as it’s profitable. As opposed to a game you could theoretically play forever, even if most players don’t. Do a percentage of such gacha games really rake in the cash? Of course they do. That’s why Nintendo does it too. But that’s also why, even when FE Heroes has been more profitable than the rest of the series combined, it’s very much a game that supports the rest of the IP rather than billed as ‘let’s stop making FE full price games and go all in on gacha’. As the IP is what’s valuable, what has permanence, even for Nintendo. It’s why the characters and series history and classes and campaigns and whatnot are celebrated, rather than people being attached to whatever umpteen currencies FE Heroes uses to ask for more money and it’s forgettable characters and stories. It only exists to capitalise on the value the IP already has.

GAAS games are literally designed to run for as long as they are profitable, to do everything possible to get people talking about them in the run up to launch and over the first few months. If they survive that, they settle into the ‘service’ element for as long as they can. If it doesn’t catch on? Close it down and move on and pocket the cash people have put into it. Same goes for PalWorld. I have a lot more time for Genshin when there’s been a lot of work gone into it over time (and it’s not it’s gameplay loop that apes Zelda, it’s some of the art direction), as opposed to games like this that seem a lot more like a cynical cash grab of ‘let’s try gacha girls + AC’. Even if this game takes off, there seems little to it that makes it unique, which makes it temporary. Once the servers close or the customers move on to the next gacha, no one will remember it, just like however many gachas before it.

Last edited:
You people just don't get it, the game will have furries as well for all you naysayers (/s)

Still, seeing as this is early stages alpha and no real game to speak of as of now, I'll wait until they show this game later down the road and reserve my judgement for then. Might as well end up being a enjoyable experience. I mean, Genshin Impact became an awesome and enjoyable game with cozy vibes just as much even if I didn't want to admit it initially.

This feels like a projection.

Nintendo has little to no competition in this space. Resting on laurels is a natural result of this in any industry, nothing to do with lazy dev rhetoric
Nah, it's absolutely lazy dev rhetoric to claim AC has "barely evolved" when the most recent game literally made the entire playspace terraformable and made furniture objects placeable anywhere, which are massive technical and gameplay achievements far beyond the demands of a certain segment of the fanbase, which have amounted to little more than "drip feed me furniture on a GAAS schedule forever" and "pander to extremely specific elements of my nostalgia for this series or I'll make mountains out of every molehill".

This segment of the fanbase also reliably claims to speak for an audience of 45 million people about "what AC needs" or whatever.

Nah, it's absolutely lazy dev rhetoric to claim AC has "barely evolved" when the most recent game literally made the entire playspace terraformable and made furniture objects placeable anywhere, which are massive technical and gameplay achievements far beyond the demands of a certain segment of the fanbase, which have amounted to little more than "drip feed me furniture on a GAAS schedule forever" and "pander to extremely specific elements of my nostalgia for this series or I'll make mountains out of every molehill".

They included these heavily requested features by spending nearly 10 years of production and launching the game with a fraction of the content that one would expect from previous entries. If you interact with the placing furniture outside mechanic, you will risk collapsing the framerate and increasing the already long load times. And if you wish to show your friends your creations, you'd have to experience one of the worst online systems I've had the displeasure of using.

Despite these mechanics offering new gameplay experiences, the game regressed in various areas, including the amount of available furniture, dialogue homogenization, building upgrades, unique NPCs at launch, holidays, removal of features (i.e diving, scavenging gyroids, minigames, tortimer island, gems, perfect fruit, Cafe, Nintendo items, etc).

It'll be interesting when this F2P launches with these, "gameplay achievements" at launch, a wide variety of additional content, better-implemented multiplayer features, and a more consistent update schedule. With some competition in this space, perhaps Nintendo will make a complete game at launch, without relying on the drip/GAAS schedule you claim a certain segment of the fanbase is clamoring for.

They included these heavily requested features by spending nearly 10 years of production and launching the game with a fraction of the content that one would expect from previous entries. If you interact with the placing furniture outside mechanic, you will risk collapsing the framerate and increasing the already long load times. And if you wish to show your friends your creations, you'd have to experience one of the worst online systems I've had the displeasure of using.

Despite these mechanics offering new gameplay experiences, the game regressed in various areas, including the amount of available furniture, dialogue homogenization, building upgrades, unique NPCs at launch, holidays, removal of features (i.e diving, scavenging gyroids, minigames, tortimer island, gems, perfect fruit, Cafe, Nintendo items, etc).

It'll be interesting when this F2P launches with these, "gameplay achievements" at launch, a wide variety of additional content, better-implemented multiplayer features, and a more consistent update schedule. With some competition in this space, perhaps Nintendo will make a complete game at launch, without relying on the drip/GAAS schedule you claim a certain segment of the fanbase is clamoring for.
Are you crazy? They did not spend 10 years making New Horizons, there was only 4 years between console releases (while ignoring several other releases in the series)

2012 New Leaf
2015 Happy Home Designer
2016 New Leaf Welcome Amiibo
2020 New Horizons

Most of the reasons New Horizons was poorly received among fans came down to its use of crafting systems, the same mechanics necessary to pad out engagement for a F2P game. If people thought playing NH was too much like work a F2P clone will be a miserable slog

Are you crazy? They did not spend 10 years making New Horizons, there was only 4 years between console releases (while ignoring several other releases in the series)

2012 New Leaf
2015 Happy Home Designer
2016 New Leaf Welcome Amiibo
2020 New Horizons

Aya Kyogoku and Hisashi Nogami both confirmed that New Horizons entered early development shortly after the initial release of New Leaf, so it was a bit less than 10 years:

In the same interview with The Washington Post, director Aya Kyogoku and producer Hisashi Nogami spoke about how early development of New Horizons began shortly after the initial release of New Leaf, and well before the Nintendo Switch was even a thing. Interestingly, while the team was busy planning out the next game, it was still working on the 'Welcome Amiibo' update for New Leaf.

Kyogoku reiterated how the development cycle for New Horizons started well before the team began "thinking or knowing" about Nintendo's hybrid hardware. Just to let that sink in, that's around eight years from conception to release. Woah!

Source

Spending a long time isnt resting on laurels.

There are a multitude of reasons that could have gone into New Horizons taking so long;

1. The team taking too long to adjust to HD development.
2. Splatoon taking a sizeable chunk of people.
3. Mismanaged scope with the terraforming.
Etc.

Most games arent even in active development during the early stages. Things are mostly comprised of ideas, pitches, tests, more pitches etc. The gruntwork isnt until the later half of development and thats when the people are there.

None of them are the devs resting on theur laurels. And being pressured by upper brass wouldnt help things.

I feel like giving this is leaked alpha footage, it's pretty difficult for me to judge how the game even looks tbh. That said, hearing gacha (cause of course) is a dealbreaker for me.

HoYoverse : "We were surprised that people thought Genshin Impact was a BotW rippoff at the beginning.
Also HoYoverse : "Wow, why are people saying our game is an Animal Crossing ripoff ?! It's not the same game ; look ! You can rotate the camera !"

1. The team taking too long to adjust to HD development.
2. Splatoon taking a sizeable chunk of people.
3. Mismanaged scope with the terraforming.
Etc.

1. Sure, that’s a major issue that Nintendo as a whole faced throughout the transition. Although I do believe that the Wii’s monumental success did result in this, as they didn’t prioritize the transition enough and they… well. You know what I’m gonna say

2. This is a common misconception. It’s been proven through credits that the overlap between Splatoon and AH isn’t considerable. I imagine this’ll be the case as well for the next entries.

3. Any talk of mismanagement would be ill-guided as there’s no clear view of how things are managed behind the scenes. Maybe NH came out the exact way Nintendo intended it to, or perhaps it was mismanaged.

1. Sure, that’s a major issue that Nintendo as a whole faced throughout the transition. Although I do believe that the Wii’s monumental success did result in this, as they didn’t prioritize the transition enough and they… well. You know what I’m gonna say

2. This is a common misconception. It’s been proven through credits that the overlap between Splatoon and AH isn’t considerable. I imagine this’ll be the case as well for the next entries.

3. Any talk of mismanagement would be ill-guided as there’s no clear view of how things are managed behind the scenes. Maybe NH came out the exact way Nintendo intended it to, or perhaps it was mismanaged.
Ill guided is assuming the devs just left things on the table just because. And assuming that Nintendo lighting a fire on their ass would make it better.

Mismanagement at the least can be begnign and the cause of best intentions gone awry, or something that was focused on that wasnt working. It doesnt always have to be big bad leadership harassing the rank and file.

I don't think he's wrong in any way, that's what mihoyo is actually doing, they're not really original, or there are basically no really original companies in the whole "anime mobile game" scene, they're just taking Japanese and American gameplay and putting it into mobile.
If you think Hoyoverse doesn't have anything original, sounds like you haven't engaged with their products other than being the outside looking in. There is no denying they copy concepts from other people. I was only interested in Genshin in the years before it released because it looked so much like Breath of the Wild.

But they have developed well beyond just being a "chinese knockoff" like you seem to be implying. Their stories are deep and diverse. The character designs are completely varied and interesting. Gameplay is fun and doesn't get stale. There's a certain style to their games that I really appreciate.

If you think Hoyoverse doesn't have anything original, sounds like you haven't engaged with their products other than being the outside looking in. There is no denying they copy concepts from other people. I was only interested in Genshin in the years before it released because it looked so much like Breath of the Wild.

But they have developed well beyond just being a "chinese knockoff" like you seem to be implying. Their stories are deep and diverse. The character designs are completely varied and interesting. Gameplay is fun and doesn't get stale. There's a certain style to their games that I really appreciate.
When you talk about mihoyo being "fun to play" that's where you have a major disagreement with the Chinese internet, and if you're comparing it to Gacha games it's certainly appealing enough, but when they're used to compare it to single player games I don't think they even qualify for comparison. comparison. Again, I reiterate that mihoyo's history of plagiarism is rich, and I hope it won't be forgotten over time, because that's the darkest and most shameless side of this company.

Again, as someone who knew very early on that Honkai3 copied dmc (including Bayonetta) and that Genshin copied BOTW and Divinity: Original Sin 2, I object to all revisionist comments against mihoyo as a company.

When you talk about mihoyo being "fun to play" that's where you have a major disagreement with the Chinese internet, and if you're comparing it to Gacha games it's certainly appealing enough, but when they're used to compare it to single player games I don't think they even qualify for comparison. comparison. Again, I reiterate that mihoyo's history of plagiarism is rich, and I hope it won't be forgotten over time, because that's the darkest and most shameless side of this company.

Again, as someone who knew very early on that Honkai3 copied dmc (including Bayonetta) and that Genshin copied BOTW and Divinity: Original Sin 2, I object to all revisionist comments against mihoyo as a company.
There's a huge difference between "copied something" and "inspired by". Copied is something like Wuthering waves, that copied most of Genshin's design down to the pity system (and was made fun of because of it).
Genshin was definitely inspired by BOTW, no one will deny that, but to call it a copy is just false, even when talking about just 1.0. Aside from a few common elements that resulted from being inspired by BOTW (climbing and free exploration) the two have nothing similar. Same goes for HI3 (yes, I know some characters had the same animations as bayonetta early on when it launched, but now?). If we start calling games with similar elements copies, then everything today is just a ripoff of something that came before.
also Divinity OS2? I haven't played it, but I'm not sure what the similarities are between that and Genshin.

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between "copied something" and "inspired by". Copied is something like Wuthering waves, that copied most of Genshin's design down to the pity system (and was made fun of because of it).
Genshin was definitely inspired by BOTW, no one will deny that, but to call it a copy is just false, even when talking about just 1.0. Aside from a few common elements that resulted from being inspired by BOTW (climbing and free exploration) the two have nothing similar. Same goes for HI3 (yes, I know it had the same animations as bayonetta early on when it launched, but now?). If we start calling games with similar elements copies, then everything today is just a ripoff of something that came before.
also Divinity OS2? I haven't played it, but I'm not sure what the similarities are between that and Genshin.
【【崩坏3】米哈游的创作灵感从哪儿来的?】 https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1ot411Z7tH/?share_source=copy_web&vd_source=e133b92ebe2c333f413dac60558e8690
If you think mihoyo didn't really plagiarize, click on the link I posted and check it out.(Can't click directly, please copy the second half of the URL can be, Chinese do not copy.)

A free gacha game by Hoyoverse combining both Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley will be deadly honestly. The mobile gamers would go crazy for it. However, I'm not sure if this will really appeal to the Animal Crossing fans. The leaked concept art doesn't really have the same charm imo. As for the footage itself, the game looks rough (understandable since it's in early alpha) but that free camera movement looks awesome.

I always say competition is a good thing but I hope this only pushes Nintendo to do better with Animal Crossing games on their Nintendo hardwares and nothing more.

【【崩坏3】米哈游的创作灵感从哪儿来的?】 https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1ot411Z7tH/?share_source=copy_web&vd_source=e133b92ebe2c333f413dac60558e8690
If you think mihoyo didn't really plagiarize, click on the link I posted and check it out.(Can't click directly, please copy the second half of the URL can be, Chinese do not copy.)
I said that HI3 had the same animations as bayonetta (and I guess DMC and SK) early on, so I'm not sure what you are trying to prove with this video?

I said that HI3 had the same animations as bayonetta (and I guess DMC and SK) early on, so I'm not sure what you are trying to prove with this video?
When mihoyo is all in line with dmc and Bayonetta in terms of movement , I can't really find any reason why it's not a copy.

When mihoyo is all in line with dmc and Bayonetta in terms of movement , I can't really find any reason why it's not a copy.
because there are other things beside the animations (which I already said were the same as Bayo) that make it not a copy? setting, story, content, gameplay elements and more, which are not the same? that does not sound like a copy to me.
If we are talking about early animations (and again, I doubt anything after early HI3 has been copied from somewhere) yes those are clearly the same, I never said they were different. But saying the games are just copies is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom