• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour Alpha footage of the new "Animal Crossing-like" game from Hoyoverse has leaked

The examples of zzz and HSR don't really evade the fact that they did a lot of plagiarizing on Honkai3 and Genshin, and Capcom's games and Nintendo's games have always been at the top of their list of things to plagiarize.
Yeah they do prove that the post is nonsense. You can't argue that they're the ripoff company and bring up multiple examples that just have zero truth to them. Genshin had a lot of BOTW's DNA but even there it wasn't a full-on thing. Getting past the early days it got more and more distinct as well.

Edit: also I'm sorry but saying that ZZZ is a musou rip-off is so funny it makes me question the entirety of the post.

Yeah they do prove that the post is nonsense. You can't argue that they're the ripoff company and bring up multiple examples that just have zero truth to them. Genshin had a lot of BOTW's DNA but even there it wasn't a full-on thing. Getting past the early days it got more and more distinct as well.
How do you explain this Animal Crossing copy then? If anything seems they have never made a bigger copy attempt than this blatant Animal Crossing copy.

I want to rephrase/add to my first comment here saying I obviously know of the plagiarism accusations before Genshin came out and also think a lot of that is true. My point was that even that game wasn't an exact copy and turned into something with much more of its own identity. HSR and ZZZ I think have much more of an identity from trailer one, but maybe I'm not familar with the property those are copying, that could also be true of course.

Genshin leaning on Japanese games is nothing new as well, just look at the name of the game. The original name is 原神 (yuanshen), outside of China they adopted the Japanese pronunciation "Genshin". Part of this because Japanese things are simply much more popular than Chinese things so they have this transcultural mashup to appeal to players.

Anyway, Animal Crossing will be fine, this new game will make billions.

My point was that even that game wasn't an exact copy and turned into something with much more of its own identity.
I don't think there's much grace given when saying this if I'm being honest. Just because you end up somewhere good doesn't negate the lack of artistic and creative integrity needed to build that foundation.

How do you explain this Animal Crossing copy then? If anything seems they have never made a bigger copy attempt than this blatant Animal Crossing copy.
Nintendo doesn't have exclusivity over lif-sim games with an over the top view. Characters look nothing like AC's. Even still I'd like to see them differentiate this HYG (or whatever the code name is) further from AC, though we know nothing other than this leak about it.

Also folks can't be too surprised that copies are a thing. They have always existed. They will keep on existing. Palword is plagiarism, this is a genre-copy. I don't think they're the same thing. But yes it is definitely lifting from AC.
HSR and ZZZ I think have much more of an identity from trailer one, but maybe I'm not familar with the property those are copying, that could also be true of course.
There isn't anything like either in the 3D graphics RPG realm. At least anything mildly popular.

As someone who likes Animal Crossing, I have no interest in a similar type game but with anime Chibi girls and gacha mechanics. Half of what I like about AC is the vibes, charm, and weirdness, and this will have none of that. Judging by that early gameplay just another soulless Nintendo knockoff.

There's also a clear gap in the market for this in China (their main money-making market).

Animal Crossing went all persona non grata in mainland China after the Hong Kong controversy. Even after that, on Weibo, the DLC announcement managed to trend for a very short while (due to the large amount of fans, regardless of its status), but the tag swiftly got censored & pulled off the list.

It should be noted that the most common defense of mihoyo's plagiarism in China's heavily mihoyo-dominated online speech is that Japanese games were developed much earlier than China's, so Chinese games can only progress through imitation, and it's this kind of very comical speech that gains a lot of adherence.

I don't think there's much grace given when saying this if I'm being honest. Just because you end up somewhere good doesn't negate the lack of artistic and creative integrity needed to build that foundation.
I get that but the post I wanted to (but failed to lol) reply to said they have never done anything new on their own. I guess it's just semantics and technicalities and you could argue even having the foundation of Botw disqualifies it from being their own, I think that would be fair too. But then their stuff since Genshin exploded seems to not fall (from what I know) into the copycat realm so I guess that would be my point.

I'm not being very eloquent today, I apologize for that.

Why else would they have abandoned mobile gaming entirely in the last few years?
I wouldn't really say that they've abandoned mobile. Not entirely anyway. Yes, they don't have plans for new mobile games at the moment, with the last one being Pikmin Bloom back in 2021, but all the games that are still around are being actively supported.

miHoYo could do well with this if they can push the bar past what Nintendo's been doing with Animal Crossing. Stronger multiplayer integration is definitely an avenue that can help them make inroads into the genre. I could see players of this picking up a Switch 2 down the line so they can play both this and Animal Crossing.

As someone who likes Animal Crossing, I have no interest in a similar type game but with anime Chibi girls and gacha mechanics. Half of what I like about AC is the vibes, charm, and weirdness, and this will have none of that. Judging by that early gameplay just another soulless Nintendo knockoff.
I wouldn't discount it as just another knockoff. Sure you don't have any interest but Genshin Impact has 60 million active players a month, Honkai Star Rail has 20 million (according to active player io). Soulless Nintendo Knockoffs fail, games like Brawlout, shovelware platformers etc. Hoyoverse games are a different breed. What does soulless matter when the game will be on every device with crossplay for free. It's so appealing to the average cozy game fan.

This is how some chinese Zelda fans feel about Genshin impact:

I've not played any Animal Crossing game, but I've heard some mixed things about the last one, so this might be cool. Nintendo's games barely have big competition so I hope this will push the series forwards. Although I do wish gachas would just die out, such a predatory practice.

This is how some chinese Zelda fans feel about Genshin impact:

This happened after the first 2019 Genshin teaser trailer was released and Sony provided a live demo for Genshin, leading to outrage from zelda fans in China, because what can't be defended is the uncanny resemblance between the first 2019 Genshin teaser trailer and BOTW.

By the way, Genshin's plagiarism led to zelda becoming the second most popular IP in China after Mario.

I'll translate what this player said at the scene, "I don't expect Chinese games to be good anymore because Chinese games have never been good" and smashed his ps4pro at the scene.

Side note:

Years ago I went to a tech event and attended a talk about engagement in videogames from a developer.
The ways f2p engagement mechanics are tuned to be addictive are so predatory that it genuinely shook me. Especially seeing it spoken about in person in a positive, technical manner.
The fine-tuned balance of "keep them happy but dissatisfied enough to always want more, until they reach the point they are too invested to leave" was so similar to other hard addictions that I never touched a game like that again.

F2p games can be fun and be happy doing what you like, but please don't overestimate your immunity to the predatory effect.

Second most popular IP? Based on what and what kinds of IP, do you mean just Nintendo?
Yes, it's Nintendo, the Genshin plagiarism incident made very many Chinese gamers aware of the zelda series after it was spread all over the internet.

Yes, it's Nintendo, the Genshin plagiarism incident made very many Chinese gamers aware of the zelda series after it was spread all over the internet.
Ok, I was about to say that seems impossible if we're talking about gaming in general lol

But are you basing that on social media chatter and shares, or did someone collect hard data?

Ultimately, this game lives or dies on the monetization.

If it's too predatory (both in terms of what you can gacha for and how much $$$ it will be) and with little or only uninteresting stuff to unlock as F2P, this won't likely hit the numbers of Genshin and the others.

Ok, I was about to say that seems impossible if we're talking about gaming in general lol

But are you basing that on social media chatter and shares, or did someone collect hard data?
I didn't collect data specifically, but I can guarantee zelda definitely ranks second among Nintendo IPs in terms of discussion and popularity on the Chinese internet post-2019, and probably has the same status considering AC generated buzz in China during the 2020 epidemic as well.

Side note:

Years ago I went to a tech event and attended a talk about engagement in videogames from a developer.
The ways f2p engagement mechanics are tuned to be addictive are so predatory that it genuinely shook me. Especially seeing it spoken about in person in a positive, technical manner.
The fine-tuned balance of "keep them happy but dissatisfied enough to always want more, until they reach the point they are too invested to leave" was so similar to other hard addictions that I never touched a game like that again.

F2p games can be fun and be happy doing what you like, but please don't overestimate your immunity to the predatory effect.
They are. They are absolutely predatory.

Just to be clear I don't want people to think I'm in any way a fan of the F2P Gacha model. I've made a whole-ass thread going through my thoughts on playing my first of those games and realizing how gross they are. I've complained at length about it in other threads as well. I'm just saying I don't think writing off HoYo as the plagiarizer company is the fairest of statements.

I didn't collect data specifically, but I can guarantee zelda definitely ranks second among Nintendo IPs in terms of discussion and popularity on the Chinese internet post-2019, and probably has the same status considering AC generated buzz in China during the 2020 epidemic as well.
Ok that makes sense, thank you!

By the way, the Genshin vs. BOTW comparison has become a sort of totem for the "do we want gameplay creativity or endless gacha and boring AAA flow experience" debate on the Chinese internet, and I don't want to be too hyperbolic, but it's possible that not only the Chinese internet, but the entire world has been re-discussing the controversial topic of whether or not we want fun games or endless graphical and technological competitions since BOTW's release in 2017, and while that's a no-brainer as far as Nintendo fans are concerned, it's true that the wider gamer community is indeed utilizing BOTW to reopen the debate on this matter.

They are. They are absolutely predatory.

My biggest concern is the idea that you're safe as long as you never spend any money on it (or just a little).
A game can still be very predatory and create an addiction without you ever spending a single cent.

This was always ridiculous and I refuse to believe it represents the majority lol

What did the damn PS4 do to them 😭
It's true that it's not representative of most people, because before the Genshin plagiarism incident zelda's popularity was only widespread in the Chinese single-player gaming community, but in the single-player gaming community zelda was basically treated as the most positive case.

My biggest concern is the idea that you're safe as long as you never spend any money on it (or just a little).
A game can still be very predatory and create an addiction without you ever spending a single cent.
I think you're speaking generally and not about what I wrote earlier in the thread but just to be 100% clear, I agree to this as well. Hence why I opened with:
F2P Gacha disrespects your time regardless of you paying or not. It has nothing to do with whaling. Live-service titles are built around constant engagement (which is achieved via required grinding).

Heck in some instances paying players might have to grind more. For instance in Genshin as a F2P it's actually easier to not have a character you really wanna build and as such one might just not bother with the grind. When story stuff has essentially zero power-creep it's very much doable.

Animal Crossing doesnt have carte blanche over the life sim genre. Otherwise things would have stopped at the Sims. (Which still exists and prints excess money despite animal crossing moseying in on its territory.)

Sure this will make excess money, but even still, to expect animal crossing to just suddenly die off from their best selling, well recieved by casual gamers, because a F2P version exists is just a little reactionary.

Pokemon still exists and prints oodles of money despite palworld being a thing.

Blatant copying of New Horizons, but I hope it lights a fire under Nintendo's butt to make the next AC the best one yet if it comes out anytime soon.

I think you're speaking generally and not about what I wrote earlier in the thread but just to be 100% clear, I agree to this as well. Hence why I opened with:
Yes, it was a general point! Just continuing my train of thought.

Agree with what you said, paying is often a rabbit hole for those that are more addicted or impatient. The more money you spend on something, the more time you want/feel like you need to spend on it. And if more possibilities open up in the game by paying, it leads to more time spent, more money spent, etc.

There's already several animal-crossing likes on Switch, several successful ones, including Disney Dreamlight Valley.

Nintendo tried doing AC on mobile and it didn't perform, i don't think the audience on mobile wants what AC fans like.

Between this game, Palworld, Multiversus, Foamstars, etc. it feels like “copying Nintendo’s homework” is the popular thing to do right now.

Surely the perfected cute and cozy vibes of the Animal Crossing series, as well as its hugely successful efforts in appealing to women of all ages, children, and many other demographics that are constantly neglected by the video game industry will be futile against this visually unique, male gazey harem game. This is of course because it's common knowledge that aesthetics is the least important thing in AC, it's all about that game loop baby!

Between this game, Palworld, Multiversus, Foamstars, etc. it feels like “copying Nintendo’s homework” is the popular thing to do right now.
It just means people want more Nintendo games... With a little less Nintendo in them.

(More content fast, multiplatform, etc)

To me this screams of failure from Sony and Microsoft to catch that audience.

It just means people want more Nintendo games... With a little less Nintendo in them.

(More content fast, multiplatform, etc)

To me this screams of failure from Sony and Microsoft to catch that audience.
nah, they don't want less nintendo, they just want them to be good. a lot of the Nintendo-less games never got far because they had no sauce

Back
Top Bottom