• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Age of Calamity’s post launch support is disappointingly underwhelming

Phendrift

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him
I don’t want to speak too much to the story of Wave 2, because that hasn’t arrived yet. But by this point it’s clear that the post launch offerings of Age of Calamity dont really match up to what HW1 offered

The playable roster is only expanding by what looks to be three characters total? Hyrule Warriors 1 got three free characters before even introducing it’s paid DLC.

I played a ton of the base game, and was really looking forward to the DLC to bring me back after burnout, but it’s not really enticing me :( this is just an opinion, but another playable guardian isn’t really exciting so Wave 1 didn’t excite me at all.

hopefully this next pack is better than it looks, but the trailer in the direct felt like it didn’t even give me much new information to go off of on what this story will be.

it’s so sad because I actually prefer the base game to HW1, I thought it played better and an alternate take on BotW’s 100 years ago was much better than HW1’s fanfic crossover storywise.

Eh I mean the first game had very little actual meat in the dlc, some challenge maps but that’s about it. Wave 2 having actual story content is pretty dang major for a Musou and honestly I’ll take a bunch of variant movesets and 3 playables happily when they give us something worth coming back and using them for. Just characters can be pretty hollow

Eh I mean the first game had very little actual meat in the dlc, some challenge maps but that’s about it. Wave 2 having actual story content is pretty dang major for a Musou and honestly I’ll take a bunch of variant movesets and 3 playables happily when they give us something worth coming back and using them for. Just characters can be pretty hollow
Yeah it may be shallow but it’s mainly about characters to me. I wanted to see Kass, Astor, Sooga, Purah and Robbie separately,

Yeah it may be shallow but it’s mainly about characters to me. I wanted to see Kass, Astor, Sooga, Purah and Robbie separately,
Kass is kinda a silly one, the guys in the past would have no clue who that is. I’m cool with the combo implementation and I’m sure the third character is likely Sooga(maybe Astor but feels less likely)

I am hoping that they are holding back a lot of info the DLC. Otherwise year it does feel underwheling.

I'm disappointed in how long it took. Its been almost a year & i kind of don't feel like going back anymore

The first Hyrule Warriors was hype inducing from the notion it was a Fanservice game from all the saga (and just playing Midna force me to buy it twice on wii u and switch). But, Age of Calamity for what it had to offer was fantastic, i will buy the packaged DLC next month and see by myself. However, i comprehend the disappointment... WHERE IS KASS!!

The first Hyrule Warriors was hype inducing from the notion it was a Fanservice game from all the saga (and just playing Midna force me to buy it twice on wii u and switch). But, Age of Calamity for what it had to offer was fantastic, i will buy the packaged DLC next month and see by myself. However, i comprehend the disappointment... WHERE IS KASS!!
Back in the future chilling because he doesn’t have any relatives in the past and only Link in the future knows of him if he encountered him. Why would a wandering bard show up in an ancient fight XD

Yeah the first game had the adventure mode maps; which were such a grindy timesink and I love them. Definitive Edition having all of them makes it a multiple hundred hour game, perfect as an unwind after work switch brain off listen to podcasts kind of experience. I was hoping AoC would get something similar.

Back in the future chilling because he doesn’t have any relatives in the past and only Link in the future knows of him if he encountered him. Why would a wandering bard show up in an ancient fight XD
I know, its a irrational demand, you don't add Kass with the time shenanigans of Terrako because you can. I just love that Rito so much!!

I actually enjoyed my time with the first DLC pack a lot. The new enemies are quite challenging at times, and the new movesets for Link and Zelda are incredibly fun to play. The whole unlock tree for all the new stuff also helped me clean up some missions I was missing from the base game.

Really hyped for the second part.

Say what you want about past games' character additions, but IMO getting fan favorites or at least fan known characters in the OG Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors was way more exciting than the character additions we've gotten for Age of Calamity. I honestly don't care much if it makes lore sense or not for certain characters to be added.

I bought the DLC but haven't really had the urge to play the game since completing the main campaign.

I feel like COVID kinda screwed post launch support for a number of games. Monster Hunter Rise sure feels like it too.

Yeah, I would have to agree. Even if the major meat in the OG HW's DLC was the free expansion, and the rest was mainly the new Adventure maps, it still feeled like... more.

Meanwhile, the DLC for AoC have just been promoted as just... something. The trailer for Part 1 just being them showing off new weapons was meh. Sure, it was cool to see Zelda on the Master Cycle Zero, but a new weapon only trailer is not the way to sell a DLC pack. The trailer for part 2 however was A LOT better, and should had honestly been what they used for the original announcement. Because at this point, even if the trailer and lore implications are all hype, the opinion on the overall DLC pack is set in and would be hard to budge.

I feel it is probably because they felt that the game is somewhat of a dead end so adding characters and such won't be laying the foundation for a sequel. Instead they focused on making the game into as complete package as possible. The DLC is adding some significant story points which I don't think is a typical Warriors addition. Also Covid combined with Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires being pushed back probably set back what resources could be dedicated for DLC. Omega Force usually puts out 3-4 games a year but this year, it is just Samurai Warriors 5 and Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires.

I feel it is probably because they felt that the game is somewhat of a dead end so adding characters and such won't be laying the foundation for a sequel. Instead they focused on making the game into as complete package as possible. The DLC is adding some significant story points which I don't think is a typical Warriors addition. Also Covid combined with Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires being pushed back probably set back what resources could be dedicated for DLC. Omega Force usually puts out 3-4 games a year but this year, it is just Samurai Warriors 5 and Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires.
Story content in dlc is nearly unheard of(I don’t think any other licensed one has gotten any just the expansion pack empire stuff on the main series). Most games Just get characters, maybe a map but even that’s rare let alone additional missions to play

I feel like COVID kinda screwed post launch support for a number of games. Monster Hunter Rise sure feels like it too.
This is totally possible and should definitely be considered here. It's definitely weak though.

Back
Top Bottom