• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way this game is coming out. Just more rumors.

If I deny it, Nintendo can make me eat my words

Hopefully they give it the promotion it deserves and not some quick shadow drop with a retail release to follow. I’d love to see the franchise come back to relevance.

I am curious about this too.

I've been aware of Advance Wars since Super Smash Bros Brawl (the assist trophy basically) and haven't played many strategy games since then. From what I know it's never been a huge seller or anything, although in the past several years I've seen some wanting a new entry.

Since the Switch has really gathered the most Nintendo gamers since the Wii plus has many who enjoy the handheld Nintendo side I think it has a chance to do decently well. In addition to that, the Switch is a RPG machine with several tactical/strategy games.

Perhaps with good word of mouth they can find success?
People often forget that for a while Advance Wars was a solid seller for Nintendo, enough to justify two sequels, a reboot, and a full blown spin off series on GameCube. I think the issue with the series was that Intelligent Systems really didn't know what to do with the series as technology got better. Battallion Wars was an attempt to adapt the concept to consoles, and Days of Ruin a chance to adapt the core gameplay to a brand new setting. To say that both attempts failed to stick the landing was an understatement (despite Days or Ruin actually being a fantastic game with probably the best core gameplay of the series).

I hope they're realising Advance Wars doesn't need the whole Fire Emblem treatment to work, it just needs an eye catching artstyle and a sensible budget, so that it can still make money back, diversify the Switch's library and keep fans happy without breaking the bank or needing to sell 3 million copies. Advance Wars can find a niche in the 'sells-a-million-give-or-take' region and be profitable in doing so. Personally, I just want a whole new generation of gamers to realise just what they've been missing this whole time.

Though it would probably be better to leave the references to real world countries and armies in the past so that they can avoid unfortunate situations like this happening again. If they go all in on the sci-fi/fantasy angle (which later games absolutely were doing anyway), it would go a long way to keeping the series out of controversy.

People often forget that for a while Advance Wars was a solid seller for Nintendo, enough to justify two sequels, a reboot, and a full blown spin off series on GameCube. I think the issue with the series was that Intelligent Systems really didn't know what to do with the series as technology got better. Battallion Wars was an attempt to adapt the concept to consoles, and Days of Ruin a chance to adapt the core gameplay to a brand new setting. To say that both attempts failed to stick the landing was an understatement (despite Days or Ruin actually being a fantastic game with probably the best core gameplay of the series).

I hope they're realising Advance Wars doesn't need the whole Fire Emblem treatment to work, it just needs an eye catching artstyle and a sensible budget, so that it can still make money back, diversify the Switch's library and keep fans happy without breaking the bank or needing to sell 3 million copies. Advance Wars can find a niche in the 'sells-a-million-give-or-take' region and be profitable in doing so. Personally, I just want a whole new generation of gamers to realise just what they've been missing this whole time.

Though it would probably be better to leave the references to real world countries and armies in the past so that they can avoid unfortunate situations like this happening again. If they go all in on the sci-fi/fantasy angle (which later games absolutely were doing anyway), it would go a long way to keeping the series out of controversy.

Thank you for this post, seriously. I feel like I've been arguing with the "the game never sold well so this is gonna be a problematic one off before the series get shelved again forever" crowd for a while.

AW doesn't have to sell 20 million to exist, nor needs a very high budget and in-house devs to happen.

Thank you for this post, seriously. I feel like I've been arguing with the "the game never sold well so this is gonna be a problematic one off before the series get shelved again forever" crowd for a while.

AW doesn't have to sell 20 million to exist, nor needs a very high budget and in-house devs to happen.
If Reboot Camp hits a million (which I feel is doable with good word of mouth) and WayForward come to Nintendo with solid ideas for a follow up, I doubt Nintendo will say no, provided steps are taken with the future themes and art of the series to ensure there are no clashes with real world events again.

All I can do is encourage people sitting on the fence (particularly the new generation of Fire Emblem fans) to give it a go. It really is a gem of a series.

I hope they're realising Advance Wars doesn't need the whole Fire Emblem treatment to work, it just needs an eye catching artstyle and a sensible budget, so that it can still make money back, diversify the Switch's library and keep fans happy without breaking the bank or needing to sell 3 million copies. Advance Wars can find a niche in the 'sells-a-million-give-or-take' region and be profitable in doing so. Personally, I just want a whole new generation of gamers to realise just what they've been missing this whole time

Advance wars entire problem and the reason the series got buried was that it didn't sell a million. It was never on their million seller list in any incarnation.

If by some miracle this version does, and wayforward pitches a follow up, it could happen we see new games, but I wouldn't put that much hope on it. It certainly won't be going back to IntSys for a new entry at any rate.

It needs the "fire emblem treatment" in so far as they will want an idea proposed that would find a way to make it sell enough to be worthwhile to devote the resources to continue development. That doesn't have to mean big character relationships as a focus, but they'll want it to be something. (It's more the "F-Zero treatment" really). I suspect It's also why Dark conflict/Days of ruin was a huge tonal shift, they were trying to see if that would sell better.

Last edited:
If Reboot Camp hits a million (which I feel is doable with good word of mouth) and WayForward come to Nintendo with solid ideas for a follow up, I doubt Nintendo will say no, provided steps are taken with the future themes and art of the series to ensure there are no clashes with real world events again.

All I can do is encourage people sitting on the fence (particularly the new generation of Fire Emblem fans) to give it a go. It really is a gem of a series.

I mean i was in for the get go. I think i sunk around 200 hours into each of the GBA and DS entries, and i expect this one to go similarly.

Hyped to hear the music remixes, too. AW soundtracks go very hard.

I wonder if they'll announce a Japanese release when this finally resurfaces? Would be nice to be able to get a local copy rather than import from America.

Advance wars entire problem and the reason the series got buried was that it didn't sell a million. It was never on their million seller list in any incarnation.

If by some miracle this version does, and wayforward pitches a follow up, it could happen we see new games, but I wouldn't put that much hope on it. It certainly won't be going back to IntSys for a new entry at any rate.

It needs the "fire emblem treatment" in so far as they will want an idea proposed that would find a way to make it sell enough to be worthwhile to devote the resources to continue development. That doesn't have to mean big character relationships as a focus, but they'll want it to be something. (It's more the "F-Zero treatment" really). I suspect It's also why Dark conflict/Days of ruin was a huge tonal shift, they were trying to see if that would sell better.
Well they got four games in the space of a decade and a spin off series so it clearly sold enough back in the day. The issue was trying to take it to the next level as handheld hardware got more expensive to work on, and IS clearly couldn't figure it out. Days of Ruin was a brave attempt, but it was too much of a dramatic shift and polarised fans... plus it's a really ugly game and that must have put audiences off.

I also think the series inability to take off in Japan has held it back as well, because if it was even a slightly bit bigger over there (or heck even got released) it'd be hitting a million on the regular. It's also meant the series was never in serious consideration for Smash Bros, which is a huge handicap to have (memes aside, Smash representation played a huge role in helping Fire Emblem grow into the series it is today).

I think what works in Advance Wars' favour now is the indie scene being so big, it means audiences are far more receptive to games of Advance Wars scope and there isn't the pressure to turn it into sales juggernaut. It can easily find a niche provided there are developers who want to work on it and take it off Nintendo's hands...basically let's hold our breaths and see if WayForward do a MercurySteam and are happy to take over the torch.

Well they got four games in the space of a decade and a spin off series so it clearly sold enough back in the day. The issue was trying to take it to the next level as handheld hardware got more expensive to work on, and IS clearly couldn't figure it out. Days of Ruin was a brave attempt, but it was too much of a dramatic shift and polarised fans... plus it's a really ugly game and that must have put audiences off.

I also think the series inability to take off in Japan has held it back as well, because if it was even a slightly bit bigger over there (or heck even got released) it'd be hitting a million on the regular. It's also meant the series was never in serious consideration for Smash Bros, which is a huge handicap to have (memes aside, Smash representation played a huge role in helping Fire Emblem grow into the series it is today).

I think what works in Advance Wars' favour now is the indie scene being so big, it means audiences are far more receptive to games of Advance Wars scope and there isn't the pressure to turn it into sales juggernaut. It can easily find a niche provided there are developers who want to work on it and take it off Nintendo's hands...basically let's hold our breaths and see if WayForward do a MercurySteam and are happy to take over the torch.
Remember Advance wars isn’t the series progenitor either, it’s just the place the franchise became international, there were previous Japan only famicom, super famicom and Gameboy wars

This was two decades ago.

A game selling over a million then was a welcome oddity.

Advance Wars got several sequels and spinoffs because it was selling well for the genre and the era. If it hadn't, it would have stopped way earlier.

People keep trying to forget this.

Worth noting that at least if the installbase million seller Nintendo list is accurate, not a single FE game reached 1 million until the 3DS, 4 years after Advance Wars met the chopping block.

Without knowing too much about the sales of the series, either the DS entries declined significantly enough to where it wasn't feasible to fund them, or it's just an issue of priorities. It's probably the latter. There's probably a good chance that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems simply prefer to keep a series that's niche worldwide going if it's extremely popular in Japan rather than if it's only popular in the Americas. This would make a lot of sense since AFAIK bringing back Advance Wars was a move by the American branch of Nintendo.

Worth noting that at least if the installbase million seller Nintendo list is accurate, not a single FE game reached 1 million until the 3DS, 4 years after Advance Wars met the chopping block.

Without knowing too much about the sales of the series, either the DS entries declined significantly enough to where it wasn't feasible to fund them, or it's just an issue of priorities. It's probably the latter. There's probably a good chance that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems simply prefer to keep a series that's niche worldwide going if it's extremely popular in Japan rather than if it's only popular in the Americas. This would make a lot of sense since AFAIK bringing back Advance Wars was a move by the American branch of Nintendo.

It's absolutely the latter. Fire Emblem suddenly got a lot more popular, and thus a higher profit driver. I don't blame Nintendo and IntSys for wanting to focus on that instead of AW.

It's also why Wayforward wanting to do AW makes a lot of sense for Nintendo to embrace. I mean, they have been doing that with other series like 2D metroid.

Been playing Dual Strike. Hopefully they used the extra time to add Jake to this.
Yes, this is what I've been asking since the delay. At least as a DLC, we need Dual Strike content. The new CO's of Dual Strike were among the best. Sasha, Javier, Grimm and the Bolt Guard, all of them were my mains in Dual Strike. I want them back!

Yes, this is what I've been asking since the delay. At least as a DLC, we need Dual Strike content. The new CO's of Dual Strike were among the best. Sasha, Javier, Grimm and the Bolt Guard, all of them were my mains in Dual Strike. I want them back!
I also want the extra units Dual Strike introduced, they really livened up the gameplay. It's a shame the dual strike mechanic kinda broke the gameplay because the game had some great additions otherwise.

If they do a new Advance Wars they should absolutely check out what Days of Ruin did right, such as unit promotions and adding COs to units for an extra boost. Loved those tweaks.

Personally I'm really excited for this release. As in 'possibly will be one of the greatest games I've ever played' excited.

I played Advance Wars 1 shortly before they announced the re-release (I think?) and I loved it. My only problems with it, which unfortunately stopped me from finishing it, were that the fog of war missions were annoying, and the last boss seemed really unbalanced. I never managed to beat the game because of that, but I really loved what I played, the music was fantastic, the characters charming, and the gameplay was the most captivating I've ever seen in an SRPG.

I do secretly hope they make some balance changes to the first game with the Fog of War levels and the final boss, but even if they don't it's a fantastic time and I'll definitely try and beat it this time. And knowing that the second game is even more liked that the first and generally the most beloved in the franchise? That makes me even more excited to try it out!

Sucks about the loss of pixel art, though.

Personally, I hope that if Advance Wars is successful enough, Nintendo will let WayForward make a brand new game for the series. I'd rather see something new than Nintendo follow up a remake with another remake.

Yeah, this is 100% a Direct re-reveal then. Only question is what kind. I'm thinking it'll be in a sizzle reel with a new date. No new trailer in the Direct.

Yeah, which is why Fire Emblem was also precariously on the chopping block and they didn't even bother to localise the second DS game because of the dire straits it was in. Fire emblem saw a lot of growth because awakening completely upended most of the conventions that were holding it back (most prominently, perma death).

The problem is there's no equivalent obvious conventions holding advance wars back, short of turning it in to some character driven nonsense which would be exactly the opposite of what the series has going for it.

Well, except for the fact that they made it abundantly clear from 1->2->Dual strike that they didn't have any ideas for additions to the series other than "AND NOW HERE'S AN EVEN BIGGER TANK AND AN EVEN BIGGER CO POWER BAR". In their defense the original was such a perfect tactics game that it would be like trying to add something to chess.

Well, except for the fact that they made it abundantly clear from 1->2->Dual strike that they didn't have any ideas for additions to the series other than "AND NOW HERE'S AN EVEN BIGGER TANK AND AN EVEN BIGGER CO POWER BAR". In their defense the original was such a perfect tactics game that it would be like trying to add something to chess.
Neotank and Megatank were brought to the series for balancing reasons. Before that, the first game was out of balance thanks to the Mid Tanks being overpowered. They tried to fix it with adding more powerful tanks but that didn't do it, Megatank was even more useless than Neo. Replacing Neotank with Anti Tank and nerfing Megatank in Days of Ruin finally brought series to long awaited balance.

I was probably going to buy this game eventually since I like tactics games but it wasn't going to be a Day 1 purchase in either two of the previous release dates due to the amount of other stuff I was playing. But whenever this game finally gets a release date, I'll buy it Day 1. I feel bad for the devs who had their game delayed because some small dick asshole decided to invade his neighbor to show off how weak and incompetent his military is.

that is the most blatant fanfiction I can imagine but it'd be so dope that I'm choosing to humor it

in other words

5ca.jpg

Couldn't you take a pic of that cardboard stand, Walmart dude? You're not under NDA, you'd be safe.
As someone who has worked those types of jobs and have at times had access to non-public information like that, it absolutely 100% is policy that being caught taking pictures of non-public information to post online would be grounds for immediate termination.

Like, they work at Walmart. It’s not like they need to have signed an NDA, like Walmart is going to think twice about whether they should fire them or not. It’s against policy to take pictures of non-public information, they took pictures, boom, terminated.

They mentioned that in the comments, said that there's cameras all over the place and they'd get "more than a pink slip"
Yes, read that and that's very interesting. Retail places such as Walmart hardly get any material within any NDA so this situation should be very rare. No game (and/or its release date) was announced/revealed this close to the actual release date.
Like, they work at Walmart. It’s not like they need an NDA like Walmart is going to think twice about whether they should fire them or not. It’s against policy to take pictures of non-public information, they took pictures, boom, terminated.
Yeah this is not an ordinary situation. If real, we're literally getting a shadowdrop BOTH for eShop and retail. A retail shadowdrop...

Very nice to see stuff moving again for this game! Advance Wars coming out alongside the return of Vouchers is a real pieces falling into place moment too, if the release date ends up being soon I may take the opportunity to get the vouchers for this and FE Engage.

Sounds bs, I doubt Nintendo can shadow drop a physical game like that. I think they will need two or three weeks between announcement and release to distribute the game without it leaking.
What if physical comes later? It's very possible. Not likely, just possible.

Sounds bs, I doubt Nintendo can shadow drop a physical game like that. I think they will need two or three weeks between announcement and release to distribute the game without it leaking.
I’m slightly sceptical that, of three game cardboard displays being sent from head office to a large supermarket, they would be Minecraft, Zelda and Advance Wars. One of those is not like the others. Just seems a bit odd when two are massive IP and one is beyond niche.

Still, fingers crossed! My pre-order is still intact from this time last year.

Last edited:
grain of salt and all that

I’m currently loving Fire Emblem Engage and Hi-Fi Rush, but I’m sure they’d understand being sent flying to my backlog for Advance Wars.

Please, please be true.

It's kind of in the realm of that Baten Kaitos story -- like if you're gonna make up a fake rumour just to get attention, why pick Advance Wars?
Yeah like there is nothing outlandish about it. Considering a direct next week is likely based on what we already know, I think the sotry just works.

What if physical comes later? It's very possible. Not likely, just possible.

But the user is talking about the physical version being available on the 10th. The game would have to be announced like last week for that to be viable.

The earliest we will have a Direct is the 7th, so I think this is just bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom