• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Pilotwings 64 coming to NSO Expansion Pack on October 13

Yessss.

I spent a lot of time just flying around randomly and exploring the islands. Looking forward to doing it all over again.

This is a significant release for NSO. Pilotwings 64 never previously released on the Wii or Wii U Virtual Console.

I have my fingers crossed for Mario Party 2 in December as I'm gonna be with my brother in the Holidays and that was our favourite multiplayer game as kids, so playing it on the Switch together would be wonderful.

Very exciting! The game looks great. I played Resort on 3DS, and I dabbled with the SNES original when NSO first dropped on Switch, but 64 looks like the most interesting game in the series.

That certainly is a vibe in that trailer.

I am feeling feelings right now that I don't know what to do with.

But damn though eight weeks between NSO releases??? Oof.

I have my fingers crossed for Mario Party 2 in December as I'm gonna be with my brother in the Holidays and that was our favourite multiplayer game as kids, so playing it on the Switch together would be wonderful.
Bummed I won’t be able to join the family due to not being able to use PTO yet (new job) cause they love MP2. So I’m just hoping MP 1 drops before thanksgiving

There's a blatant lack of relaxing games on Switch, so i'm going to give this a whole lot of play time.

Also, i remember Pilotwings 64 being particularly hard to emulate properly? It's going to be interesting to see in what state the game runs in NSO.

Heard from people close to Nintendo that there was a mixup. This is actually what Chris Pratt’s voice for Mario was supposed to sound like.

There's a blatant lack of relaxing games on Switch, so i'm going to give this a whole lot of play time.

Also, i remember Pilotwings 64 being particularly hard to emulate properly? It's going to be interesting to see in what state the game runs in NSO.
You are correct. No 3rd party emulator out there has managed to run this game properly before.

It also just so happens to be a game that originally ran with an uncapped framerate; meaning that it is able to run at a full 60FPS here on Switch! (P.S, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark also originally had fully uncapped framerates... ;) )

Nintendo playing 4D chess by making a funny trailer so that everyone in the comments and QRT talk about the narrator instead of complaining about the service

DBBA291-D-FEA9-4-D58-83-C1-CF54-B8-F2-D7-BD.jpg

why is it smoother than i remember? this looks 60fpish.

It IS running at 60FPS here. The original game was technically running at up to 60FPS on the original N64 cart (it had an un-capped framerate; from anywhere between 0-60 FPS), but it almost never actually managed to reach that target (typically running at about 20FPS or so).

Since the Switch has INFINITE COSMIC POWER compared to the N64, it has enough horsepower for the emulator to hit the game's maximum target FPS consistently. Hence the jump from 20ish FPS to 60 FPS.

We will see the same thing happen with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark BTW, since they also ran with a completely uncapped framerate originally :)

Normally you can't increase the framerate of an N64 game without completely breaking the game's internal logic and having everything run way too fast, but this is the rare exception where logic was never tied to framerate originally. NERD haven't had to put in any specific work to make this happen either, it's just how the game was always designed to run originally.

The 60 FPS is a welcome thing, I hope Nintendo won’t « fix » it (they did fix Star Fox 64‘s framerate on the Wii because the slowdowns were completely gone, thus making the game quite harder than it was ^^; ).

And yes, that narration is perfect ^o^. It fits with how cozy the game is and I’m glad they showed a bit of the birdman mode (still wondering why this mode was time limited in Pilotwings Resort on the 3DS).

They have 3 games to release before the end of the year : Pilotwings, Mario Party, and Mario Party 2. So yep, Mario Party 2 is the December one !

They have 3 games to release before the end of the year : Pilotwings, Mario Party, and Mario Party 2. So yep, Mario Party 2 is the December one !
And possibly goldeneye in the west. It’s coming soon here while Japan is 2023

Just like with Wave Race 64 I'm gonna play the shit out of this, singlehandedly causing Nintendo to greenlight a new one.

Nintendo playing 4D chess by making a funny trailer so that everyone in the comments and QRT talk about the narrator instead of complaining about the service

DBBA291-D-FEA9-4-D58-83-C1-CF54-B8-F2-D7-BD.jpg
The complaints will now adjust to not having the narrator retroactively inserted to provide affirmations when you succeed or disparaging remarks when you fail checkpoints

Back
Top Bottom