• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion 3rd Parties in the next smash: I want them to focus on expanding already present series over introducing new ones.

Phendrift

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him
I know I know, people have so many ambitious ideas for “what could they possibly do after ultimate?!” From rebooting with new movesets for old characters, to going 3D.

And I know there’s nothing like the magic of a brand new third party series being introduced into Smash, but the thing is to me - Smash has always been a great ratio of big series getting lots of content, with the cool one offs or retro series getting one stage and a character. You had swaths of Mario and Zelda and pokemon content - multiple stages, characters, items, ATs etc. and the retro one offs like Ice Climber, Duck Hunt and G&W.

But now, because of how third parties have been handled, you have MASSIVE franchises with tons of content to pull from like Castlevania, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Mega Man etc. getting the same amount of content that Nintendo series like…. Ice Climbers get. It’s made it feel uneven and tacked on.

Which is why I think the next smash should focus on expanding that representation over introducing another 10 or so franchises to smash. Give me Alucard! Give me Rodin! Give me Chun-Li! Give me Zero! Give me Roxas! Sephiroth already opened the floodgates being the first second unique newcomer for a third party series, I hope the next smash continues that. Integrate these worlds into smash more, make them feel like part of the family to where speculating for a character from them feels the same as speculating for the next Fire Emblem or Zelda character.

Many of these publishers like Microsoft have spoken about how much they liked working on Smash, Konami was extremely generous with Castlevania content, even after their poor showing with Cloud initially, Square really opened up and got THREE characters in the DLC. I’m sure there’s opportunity for exciting third party newcomers even if they aren’t introducing brand new franchises

It's an interesting balancing act. Part of the appeal of Smash is introducing more worlds, but depth is really good too. Like you said, getting Sephiroth felt like a great expansion on what we got for Final Fantasy, and I'd love to see more of that in a future Smash. Someone like, for example, Tails would get me as hype as a completely new universe, but that's the fan in me.

Honestly I could say that for some of the first parties too. Ultimate went hard on new franchises for its newcomers and DLC. Yeah, we got enough Mario and Fire Emblem reps, but I'd love to see that love come to, say, Kirby or Wario next time.

I respectfully disagree.

I think Smash Bros should continue to be an homage to whole video game history. I want more iconic series to be represented, whether it's modern fan favorite or ancient milestone. Sure Chun-Li or Nine Williams in Smash sounds awesome but I'd rather increase the diversity. Frogger, Q*Bert, Bub and Bob, Jonesy, Carl Johnson, Lara Croft bring them on!

It's an interesting balancing act. Part of the appeal of Smash is introducing more worlds, but depth is really good too. Like you said, getting Sephiroth felt like a great expansion on what we got for Final Fantasy, and I'd love to see more of that in a future Smash. Someone like, for example, Tails would get me as hype as a completely new universe, but that's the fan in me.

Honestly I could say that for some of the first parties too. Ultimate went hard on new franchises for its newcomers and DLC. Yeah, we got enough Mario and Fire Emblem reps, but I'd love to see that love come to, say, Kirby or Wario next time.
True, first parties are easy to do that with though and pretty guaranteed. Like I’d say you can already bet on a Splatoon newcomer and new stage in the next smash, same with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. Probably kirby too. It’s assumed that that’ll happen.

for third parties it’s less so, but I want it to GET to that point.

True, first parties are easy to do that with though and pretty guaranteed. Like I’d say you can already bet on a Splatoon newcomer and new stage in the next smash, same with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. Probably kirby too. It’s assumed that that’ll happen.

for third parties it’s less so, but I want it to GET to that point.
That's definitely true. I'm glad they showed that they CAN do it and still build a lot of hype around it. People are definitely receptive! I know I was! We gotta just sit back and hope for next time. Well, whenever that is, haha.

I respectfully disagree.

I think Smash Bros should continue to be an homage to whole video game history. I want more iconic series to be represented, whether it's modern fan favorite or ancient milestone. Sure Chun-Li or Nine Williams in Smash sounds awesome but I'd rather increase the diversity. Frogger, Q*Bert, Bub and Bob, Jonesy, Carl Johnson, Lara Croft bring them on!
On the flipside though, I'd argue that the best way to increase diversity, with respect to minority representation, is to reach deeper into the series that already are present.

Like, the only chance that someone like Chun-li, Barret and numerous others have is if consideration is extended to those already present, rather than reaching out for more newbies. And it can't be denied that these are examples of characters that are every bit iconic, as well, and deserve their spots on a roster. Let alone more new blood like Twintelle and Rodin.

Eggman is my most wanted character at this point so yeah I'd be in favor of this.

I want the exact oppposite;

give us more new franchises and more new companies to the mix; so the crossover is inflated even more in every sense of the word. I was seriously bummed to see "just" another FFVII character and just another Xenoblade character(s) as DLC for Ultimate;

But... it's way too soon to think about the next entry, so I'm not going to stress over the idea :p

Smash Ultimate is the best selling fighting game of all time. That's not a series you say "okay, we don't need any more of these."
I guess I’m asking who is going to make it? This was like a burn out session. Wouldn’t expect another one until like maybe another 5 years or so.

I guess I’m asking who is going to make it? This was like a burn out session. Wouldn’t expect another one until like maybe another 5 years or so.

I'm sure Namco would still be perfectly fine taking in the money to develop Smash. Or Nintendo could develop it internally. Or a new team could be built. It's not like Smash is the only franchise to have sequels. And considering the gap between Smash 4 to Ultimate was 4 years, the gap between Brawl and Smash 4 was 6 years, saying you don't expect another one for another 5 years isn't exactly out of line with what others are expecting.

I think fighting game rosters are the perfect example of why this is a good idea. I'd rather we get characters like Chun-Li, Balrog, M Bison, King, Yoshimitsu, Iori, and Mai than have to get more "face of the franchise" plain janes like Scorpion and Akira.

I don't think we'll ever get a Smash game with the same third party representation as Ultimate. And Sakurai said something like Ultimate will never happen again (something like that at least).

I can see there being third party reps again, but I don't think it will be enough for series to have multiple characters.

Personally, I'd like to see some deep cut Nintendo series represented. I don't want 10 Mario characters in the game. Give me Famicom Detective Club, Shin Onigashima, Golden Sun, Chibi Robo, Sukapon etc.

Melee (and 64) was a really magical game, because of the characters who made me go "who?". That's how Ness (at least in Europe) became more known, Marth and Roy, even Pit to some extent.

But I wouldn't be opposed to more third party reps. Heck, you can make a whole Smash game with just Capcom characters and it would be amazing.

On one hand I really want other japanese IPs to be in, Resident Evil, Touhou, Guilty Gear, Atelier, Ninja Gaiden...

On the other hand I really want Chun Li to be in Smash.

Only Chun-Li feels completely necessary to me. Eggman and Tails and the like would be appreciated, but I'd also be fine seeing them as assist trophies (or a boss in Eggman's case). How can you have an all-star crossover fighting game nearing 100 playable characters without The First Lady of Fighting Games? She's right up there with Samus, Peach, and Zelda.

For me I would like to see an increase in western series being included. Someone made a chart, but basically there are only I believe 5 characters in the entire roster made by western studios, with 1 of which not being a Nintendo funded IP and that is Steve/Alex. Smash has an amazing roster, but it really is a celebration of Japanese gaming at the moment and Western gaming deserves a seat as well. Characters like Guybrush, Doom Guy, Kratos, Master Chief and others feel like they deserve a spot at the table when the table is celebrating gaming as a whole.

But yes more Japanese characters are expected too, the lack of Resident Evil in the roster is hurtful.

Back
Top Bottom