• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Nintendo Switch Online adds Alisia Dragoon, Beyond Oasis, and Earthworm Jim to the Genesis/Mega Drive app

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him

Never heard of Alisia Dragoon before, but Beyond Oasis is cool.

Earthworm Jim sucks and also so does its creator.

Doug Tenapel sucks but this is cool though; they included multi-language versions of Beyond Oasis

I might give Beyond Oasis a try - it's only short and I'd been meaning to go back to the EP systems before I possibly let my subscription lapse next month.

I'll have to look up Alisia Dragoon too.

Neat! I have Beyond Oasis on Wii and I've been meaning to try it for ages so this is definitely easier.

So, I noticed how most of the third party games from the Genesis Mini are appearing on Genesis NSO: Mega Man, Strider, Castlevania, Contra, Earthworm Jim, etc.

I don't want to create any false hope, but those 2 Mickey Mouse Illusion games were also part of the Genesis Mini. But perhaps those might prove wayyy more challenging/difficult due to the Disney license. Then again, we're getting Goldeneye on N64 NSO, so licensed games aren't entirely impossible.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Nice update! I've only played Earthworm Jim but the other two look really interesting.

The rate of output on NSO is, including the four N64 games still to come, 39 games this year. That compares to 45 in 2021, and 53 in 2019. 2018 had 30 (the service only launched with NES in September of that year), while 2020 had just 25 across the whole year.

Seems pretty obvious to me something didn't go to plan in 2020 - perhaps shuffling NERD's priority over to Super Mario 3D All Stars? I also wonder if Nintendo target the 40 to 50 range in a 'normal' year. Assuming we get maybe another batch of Mega Drive games, and perhaps something for NES/SNES, it's not hard to see 39 games for the year bumping up to a total comparable to 2021, if still a little below 2019.

(Counting releases outside Japan - at least I think that's where I've got my numbers...)

That's weird. I had all the games in the Genesis NSO app how I liked it but the recent update made all the games go back into the order they released so I had to reorder everything again. Never happened before in any of the apps.

The rate of output on NSO is, including the four N64 games still to come, 39 games this year. That compares to 45 in 2021, and 53 in 2019. 2018 had 30 (the service only launched with NES in September of that year), while 2020 had just 25 across the whole year.

Seems pretty obvious to me something didn't go to plan in 2020 - perhaps shuffling NERD's priority over to Super Mario 3D All Stars? I also wonder if Nintendo target the 40 to 50 range in a 'normal' year. Assuming we get maybe another batch of Mega Drive games, and perhaps something for NES/SNES, it's not hard to see 39 games for the year bumping up to a total comparable to 2021, if still a little below 2019.

(Counting releases outside Japan - at least I think that's where I've got my numbers...)
I think we’ll very cleanly get to around 50 before the end of the year, especially with regional exclusives included. There’s a good chance we get an N64 game and a NES / SNES batch before the end of the month, as last month we didn’t get Mega Drive or NES / SNES. Could be in catch-up territory.

There are multiple factors I can imagine impacting NSO’s productivity in 2020, but the largest contributing factor from my perspective is NERD focusing on GB and GBA production, then NCL demanding they prepare N64 for 2021 sometime after 3D All-Stars. The sudden swerve would’ve been plenty upsetting to them, i’m sure.

Alisia Dragoon had a Game Arts copyright. This presents some exciting possibilities in the future.
No clue if they will introduce CD games to this service, but lunar is getting release in the new genesis mini console. One can hope at least.

Fun story: my Dad bought 8/9-year-old me Earthworm Jim secondhand at a car boot sale. Imagine my disappointment when we got home and booted it up only to discover that the rogue games merchant had pasted an Earthworm Jim label onto a Shinobi cartridge. I only owned Shinobi. Still, undeterred I made a good attempt at a run through a game I already owned and my Dad bought me some consolation confectionery to cheer me up. I still have never played Earthworm Jim and adult me finds the character unappealing. The wrong kind of 90s 'tude.

I'm about halfway done with Sword of Vermilion (a game from my childhood I am determined to finally finish). I'm very much looking forward to Beyond Oasis as that is totally new to me.

The Mega Drive app has some heavy hitters and I hope the games keep coming as I was always a Nintendo boy growing up and it's been nice to re-appraise Sega as an adult.

Oh shit always meant to try the Oasis games. Had the Saturn one briefly but sold it like a fool before giving it a fair shot.

That's weird. I had all the games in the Genesis NSO app how I liked it but the recent update made all the games go back into the order they released so I had to reorder everything again. Never happened before in any of the apps.
Yeah, this happened to me as well, what the fuck?? I spent so much time manually ordering the games by original release date, divided into first-party and third-party groups, too… Good thing I have a spreadsheet of all that info to fall back on, but still, this is seriously uncool…

Oddly, it didn’t happen with the Japanese version of the app, only the Genesis one…

Yeah, this happened to me as well, what the fuck?? I spent so much time manually ordering the games by original release date, divided into first-party and third-party groups, too… Good thing I have a spreadsheet of all that info to fall back on, but still, this is seriously uncool…

Oddly, it didn’t happen with the Japanese version of the app, only the Genesis one…
It’s because they added the PAL / Korean version toggle. Just like on the N64 app both options load different layouts and I guess in the process they overwrote the original layout (and thus any user customization before this point). There’s no region toggle on the Japanese apps so it didn’t change anything.

If they finally decide to add PAL versions for specific titles on the NES and SNES apps too then the same thing will likely occur. Maybe take some screenshots of your current layouts to prepare for that.

Alisia Dragoon and Beyond Oasis are really interesting additions. I didn't realise the Mega Drive library had grown quite so much, actually. I'd meant to try Shining Force and now Shining Force 2 is there.

Too many games, too little time.

It’s because they added the PAL / Korean version toggle. Just like on the N64 app both options load different layouts and I guess in the process they overwrote the original layout (and thus any user customization before this point). There’s no region toggle on the Japanese apps so it didn’t change anything.

If they finally decide to add PAL versions for specific titles on the NES and SNES apps too then the same thing will likely occur. Maybe take some screenshots of your current layouts to prepare for that.
Yeah I figured that was likely the reason after the fact, but it still sucks, and Nintendo gave no warning that that would happen either. It’s not too difficult to fix since I had all that info saved anyway, but I did have to redo everything twice—once for each region toggle—so that was annoying. I guess I’ll know to look out for that in the future now if they end up doing the same with the NES or SNES apps (and those ones will be even worse to fix, ugh…), at least. =p

We are almost a full year into the life of the Genesis app, and Sonic 1 is still MIA.

I've gotta admit that is a little ironic.

We are almost a full year into the life of the Genesis app, and Sonic 1 is still MIA.

I've gotta admit that is a little ironic.
I feel like we will never get Sonic 1 or 3 because they wanna sell that collection

I don't think the absence of Sonic 1 is due to Origins; we're still missing plenty of notable first-party Sega games that were on the Mega Drive Mini 1 (don't think the Mini 2 library will be mined for awhile). No Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, no Monster Boy / Monster World, no Vectorman; not a single Columns game! Even with the collection's faults the version of Sonic 1 in Origins is still the superior experience though, so giving away the original doesn't lose them much. Same for Sonic CD if we ever get Mega CD games.

Don't expect the app to ever get Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the obvious reason though.

So, I noticed how most of the third party games from the Genesis Mini are appearing on Genesis NSO: Mega Man, Strider, Castlevania, Contra, Earthworm Jim, etc.

I don't want to create any false hope, but those 2 Mickey Mouse Illusion games were also part of the Genesis Mini. But perhaps those might prove wayyy more challenging/difficult due to the Disney license. Then again, we're getting Goldeneye on N64 NSO, so licensed games aren't entirely impossible.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Missed this post yesterday. I’ve been thinking about exactly this since the GoldenEye announcement too. Obviously that game is on a whole other level, being the third best selling N64 title; but it’d be neat if Nintendo (or Sega) tried to pursue some other non-video game licensed titles for the service.

Like you mention, the first Mega Drive Mini had Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion (and the Japanese lineup also includes a YuYu Hakusho game); but Mini 2 has gone wild with a ton of licensed titles from Captain Tsubasa to Nadia to Harimanada to Magical Taruruto (another of Game Freak’s pre-Pokémon works; shame Pulseman isn’t on either Mini system or NSO thus far). The livestream discussions for each batch of game announcements discussed some of the difficulties in getting everything together for the rereleases though, especially Captain Tsubasa (the IP, the music, tracking down each individual voice actor), so i’d anticipate everything being even more difficult for a service like NSO that goes beyond a limited run product in its own ecosystem.

Somehow I feel more confident in Disney than any of the anime licenses, as games like the Illusion series or perhaps Star Wars Rogue Squadron can be released worldwide and aren’t limited to a few regions. That, and Sony have already had some luck getting Disney titles onto their retro service with PS1 and PS3 Toy Story games. If they could get Goof Troop for the SNES app too that’d be real swell :)

I’m not too concerned with all that yet though, not until we’ve got more of the essentials from partners like Capcom, Konami, Koei Tecmo and especially Square Enix (who are sitting at a total of zero titles on the service; not even asking for Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or Mana or Chrono Trigger here, titles they co-own with Nintendo like Super Mario RPG and Ogre Battle 64 would be SOMETHING). So far the Mega Drive app has been having better luck but I hope it can eventually apply to the other three (and eventual GB and GBA apps).

Technically we have three Konami (Hudson) games on route for the N64 app now (see copyright in the bottom left) so perhaps it’s a sign of things to come. I hope so at least!

unknown.png

Last edited:
Wishlist from Japanese devs would include Mystical Ninja 64 and Mischief Makers on N64, any and all SNES RPGs Square Enix want to add, and once the GB/GBA are coming, Street Fighter Alpha for the GBC, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and the Sonic Advance series would be grand, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom