• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News New NES/SNES games available on NSO: Pinball, Congo's Caper, Rival Turf! and Umihara Kawase (Japan only)

sagadego20

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/Him
Umihara Kawase (SuFami) Rushing Beat (SuFami) Pinball (fami)

Congo's Caper (SNES) Rival Turf (SNES) Pinball (NES)

Square Enix owns the game , they need to pay SE to do it and it seems at least for SNES/NES stuff they don’t want to pay third parties almost none. This may change in the future with expansion pack though
Thats a shame, i wish square and nintendo would partner on this to either remake it, or rerelease it and charge money for it. I just want the game on switch if they cant get it on nso

thank square enix on that :/
I think we should blame Nintendo more than anyone, if we pay for the service they should at least use some of the money to secure basic additions like Super Mario RPG, they already paid SE to add it to the SNES Mini why not now? I’m not expecting other SE output of the era just this game

I guess with Rival Turf we got pretty much all of Jaleco games. Data East licenses are all over the place but G-Mode/Marvelous are bringing whatever they can.

Good batch! Umihara Kawase is a classic, and Pinball was sorely missing.

They should have added Umihara Kawase to international NSO, though.

Yeah if they can get Mario RPG for the SNES Mini they can get it on this. No excuse.

I have a feeling they might be waiting to add it straight after a direct, just like they did for Earthbound, which also took years for no reason.

Square Enix owns the game , they need to pay SE to do it and it seems at least for SNES/NES stuff they don’t want to pay third parties the money most are asking . This may change in the future with expansion pack though
Well they have the copyright on certain things. Don’t think they own the whole game.

Beat em up after beat em up and still no super double dragon , that aside pinball brings back such good memories, I'ved never played Congos caper but it looks fun decent. Month overall

Hell yeah, another black box game. Hoping for Urban Champion and Mach Rider next. SNES games are bad but it's a bad console so no surprise.

How do I access the Japanese releases?
You need to make a Japan-region account on your Switch, then download the launcher from the JP eShop.

Well they have the copyright on certain things. Don’t think they own the whole game.
They also co-own the game.
05pYcLb.png

Pinball was one of the few notable first party NES games remaining. Duck Hunt, Golf, and Mahjong remain as ones that sold more copies but aren't yet released.

EDIT: And of course, Duck Hunt has technical problems, Golf's sequel is already present so it becomes less important, and Mahjong is... a 40 year old Japan-only mahjong adaptation.

I think we should blame Nintendo more than anyone, if we pay for the service they should at least use some of the money to secure basic additions like Super Mario RPG, they already paid SE to add it to the SNES Mini why not now? I’m not expecting other SE output of the era just this game
The SNES mini is a different product that was made for a brief time then discontinued, different than an online subscription service. SNES mini also had Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy 6.

Square might be okay with the game being available for a month or two but I imagine Nintendo is getting long term licenses for their 3rd party stuff on here. Square just isn't interested in this service, they don't have to support it if they don't want to. They are handling their retro offerings in their own way.

I'll dabble with these games, but nothing really excites me this time.

As for Super Mario RPG. I expect this to get announced (if it happens) in a semi big deal like in a direct. The game won't get a random Thursday night shadow drop.

Basically the situation with Super Mario RPG is this:

Nintendo owns the Mario IP, but Square Enix owns the Game, Original Characters, and Game IP/Trademarks. Whenever Nintendo wants to release it, they need permission and to negotiate with Square Enix. As it stands right now, Square Enix has not put "anything" onto the service and I do wonder if it has to do with Square Enix wanting royalties or something. I assume every time Nintendo and Square Enix have re-released it, they've split the sales on the purchases (likely this was taken into account whenever the Nintendo eShop VC releases and Super Nintendo/Famicom Classic releases happened) on a % base.

Likely due to how the infrastructure of the Nintendo Online stuff is handled (plus lack of ability to purchase the games, which is another topic in itself), they can't even easily give them a % based off people who play/hour played, which I seem to recall Microsoft has a system set-up for that on the Game Pass stuff that allows for that.

Either way, your best bet is Square Enix releasing it in a collection of sorts, possibly a HD-2D remake (or something similar) with Nintendo's involvement, or Nintendo decides to finally allow for purchasing of their classic titles again.

---

That aside, those are some really interesting titles on both the Japanese and English sides. Really surprised to see Umihara Kawase on the Japanese side specifically.

I wish I can get into super mario rpg. The action commands aren't as satisfying as Paper Mario. Absolutely loved it as a kid but never got far enough to beat it and then it felt like it age too much compared to other snes classics.

I guess with Rival Turf we got pretty much all of Jaleco games. Data East licenses are all over the place but G-Mode/Marvelous are bringing whatever they can.

Jaleco on NSO will NEVER end

Hell yeah, another black box game. Hoping for Urban Champion and Mach Rider next. SNES games are bad but it's a bad console so no surprise.

How do I access the Japanese releases?

If you cannot appreciate a Jaleco certified classic, you cannot appreciate life......

Really wish we got Umihara Kawase here. I can't imagine the menus are that complex if they just dumped the Japanese version here.

Really wish we got Umihara Kawase here. I can't imagine the menus are that complex if they just dumped the Japanese version here.
it's pretty easy to download the japanese versions of the nes/snes apps from the eshop, and you can play with your non-japan account if you're subbed to NSO.

it's pretty easy to download the japanese versions of the nes/snes apps from the eshop, and you can play with your non-japan account if you're subbed to NSO.
Neat. I might jump through the hoops then if I don't have to get a separate subscription. Thank you.

Basically the situation with Super Mario RPG is this:

Nintendo owns the Mario IP, but Square Enix owns the Game, Original Characters, and Game IP/Trademarks. Whenever Nintendo wants to release it, they need permission and to negotiate with Square Enix. As it stands right now, Square Enix has not put "anything" onto the service and I do wonder if it has to do with Square Enix wanting royalties or something. I assume every time Nintendo and Square Enix have re-released it, they've split the sales on the purchases (likely this was taken into account whenever the Nintendo eShop VC releases and Super Nintendo/Famicom Classic releases happened) on a % base.

Likely due to how the infrastructure of the Nintendo Online stuff is handled (plus lack of ability to purchase the games, which is another topic in itself), they can't even easily give them a % based off people who play/hour played, which I seem to recall Microsoft has a system set-up for that on the Game Pass stuff that allows for that.

Either way, your best bet is Square Enix releasing it in a collection of sorts, possibly a HD-2D remake (or something similar) with Nintendo's involvement, or Nintendo decides to finally allow for purchasing of their classic titles again.

---

That aside, those are some really interesting titles on both the Japanese and English sides. Really surprised to see Umihara Kawase on the Japanese side specifically.

As I mentioned, it seems it’s more complicated than that looking at the screen shot that @Gingerbread Man posted .

They also co-own the game.
05pYcLb.png
Says copyright is for both companies first. Beneath it has the character trademarks for both companies. So if anything, it’s a co ownership of the game, not SE being the owner.

Maybe Square is working on a HD-2D version of Super Mario RPG but with improved CGI rendering instead of pixelated.

And if so, imagine : that would mean that this stupid game would be translated in french (and most European languages) for the very first time ! Youpi !

I really want to know why there were so many damn Caveman games in the late 80s/early 90s. I grew up surrounded by them (Joe & Mac is my jam), but it's such a weird thing that happened. Was it because of the renewed interest in the Flinstones? The success of Wonder Boy/Adventure Island?

Still so weird to me, hahaha

Maybe Square is working on a HD-2D version of Super Mario RPG but with improved CGI rendering instead of pixelated.

And if so, imagine : that would mean that this stupid game would be translated in french (and most European languages) for the very first time ! Youpi !
Hell no to the HD-2D idea. I'd much prefer it be remade in collaboration with the Ubisoft team that made Mario + Rabbids. Just in terms of graphics, of course.

Hell no to the HD-2D idea. I'd much prefer it be remade in collaboration with the Ubisoft team that made Mario + Rabbids. Just in terms of graphics, of course.
I support this (maybe not Ubisoft working on the game though) HD-2D doesn't fit Super Mario RPG original style imo it needs a 3D remake like DQ VII +-.

Umihara Kawase is a fantastic game. Everyone should take the time to try it out!

Back
Top Bottom