• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO New Sega Genesis games added to NSO! (Space Harrier II, Shining Force II, Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball)

Shining Force 2 such a good game but it just makes me want to play 3 even more hopefully Saturn is added to NSO one day and they release it there

NSO library has been on a roll lately. Hopefully this trend continues because the droughts followed by scraping the bottom of the barrel by some of the lower tier 3rd parties on NES and SNES really sucked.

NSO library has been on a roll lately. Hopefully this trend continues because the droughts followed by scraping the bottom of the barrel by some of the lower tier 3rd parties on NES and SNES really sucked.

Totally agree. Getting an N64 game every month has been nice, but seeing more games added to the other libraries has been awesome.

First Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, and now Sonic Spinball? Sweet! This bodes well for Sonic 3D Blast eventually showing up at some point too... :cool:

When you discover the spinball soundtrack was actually legit and just done a huge disservice by the genesis sound chip as proven by the album release

Shining Force 2 is quality, but come on SEGA! Give us Rocket Knight Adventures and Crusaider of Centy/Soleil!!! FFS! You outright own the latter one!! I don't wanna plonk down £1,000 on eBay for it!!

These three games are all on the Sega Genesis Classics collection for Switch, which is often on sale for $15.

How's the emulation compared to the NSO Genesis releases?
I'm not a stickler about emulation, but I've enjoyed the collection. It's an older build, and I've read complaints of input lag.

Anyways, these are three good games.

That’s what happens when you basically don’t have any of the bigger 3rd parties on board &, essentially, run out of your own releases to put on there.

Same thing will happen to these machines & any other hardware they put on there.

I still yet to actually use NSO to play old Genesis games.

Huh? There's plenty of 1st party stuff that hasn't landed yet. We don't even have Urban Champion!
Sega has a metric ton of 1st party MD releases. Honestly they outnumber Nintendo on SNES like 5:1, although admittedly a lot more of Sega's stuff is also tied up in licensing.

Plus they could always move to subplatforms like MCD and 32X. I'm sure M2 is up to the task.

Gods, if only Camelot owned the Shining IP instead of Sega...
And with Shining now on my mind, I find myself hoping for Sega/Megadrive CD and/or Game Gear down the road for the Gaiden games. (they're Gaiden by story*, but by gameplay they're still like main Shining Force)

Edit: uhh, added the asterisk because I just remembered that description of the story of the Gaiden games is fairly, but not 100%, technically true

Last edited:
TIL the official title is Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball and not Sonic Spinball

maybe I should finally play it

And with Shining now on my mind, I find myself hoping for Sega/Megadrive CD and/or Game Gear down the road for the Gaiden games. (they're Gaiden by story*, but by gameplay they're still like main Shining Force)

Edit: uhh, added the asterisk because I just remembered that description of the story of the Gaiden games is fairly, but not 100%, technically true

I'd definitely love to see M2 work on Sega/Mega CD. Game Gear and Master System should be added together since they're functionally running the same architecture.

So shining went Mia after Saturn never to be seen again? Least they try to mix things up when it pops up, Shining Resonance Refrain isn’t that bad

Not saying that the post-Camelot leaving stuff is necessarily bad, but they're basically a different franchise using the same name. And I'm just more personally attached to the classic era of Shining.
(yea, it's basically 'things just aren't the same, man')

Yoooo Shining Force II!!!!!! Everybody play this game please! It kindled my love for RPG's like no other game (except maybe FF VI but ok)

It’s a pretty wild game considering they made it in literally 2 months
It was not literally 2 months, it was more like 7 months in total (9 months including pre-production); which is still a ridiculously short dev cycle, even for a Mega Drive game, but not 2 months, that's just impossible.

Fun Fact: Sonic Spinball was one of the first ever console games to be coded in C, rather than Assembly. This is why the game only runs at 30FPS (with slowdown) on the Mega Drive hardware, since C is very expensive to run on hardware of that vintage; but it is what allowed them to make the game in such a short period of time, since it drastically simplifies the programming process of development. There were a handful of other MD and SNES games that used C, but almost all of them were exclusively written in Assembly.

C wouldn't become standard on consoles until the likes of the 3DO, CDi and PS1 came along. GBA games also almost exclusively use C as well (though a handful of developers did use Assembly for certain games, typically the ones that employed 3D engines).

Last edited:
Dang I am just not really interested in the Genesis library much beyond the first batch or two of games that they added. Not sure what else they could put on there that would appeal to me with all of the licensing issues that they probably have to go through to get games on this service.

I might try Sonic Spinball eventually. I'm not too fond of the Genesis catalogue in general, so I haven't explored it much.

I might try Sonic Spinball eventually. I'm not too fond of the Genesis catalogue in general, so I haven't explored it much.

if you haven't played many Genesis games the NSO selection is a pretty great place to start. Rock solid emulation and mostly bangers. Not exactly sure I'd consider Spinball one of 'em, but it's alright.

It was not literally 2 months, it was more like 7 months in total (9 months including pre-production); which is still a ridiculously short dev cycle, even for a Mega Drive game, but not 2 months, that's just impossible.

Fun Fact: Sonic Spinball was one of the first ever console games to be coded in C, rather than Assembly. This is why the game only runs at 30FPS (with slowdown) on the Mega Drive hardware, since C is very expensive to run on hardware of that vintage; but it is what allowed them to make the game in such a short period of time, since it drastically simplifies the programming process of development. There were a handful of other MD and SNES games that used C, but almost all of them were exclusively written in Assembly.

C wouldn't become standard on consoles until the likes of the 3DO, CDi and PS1 came along. GBA games also almost exclusively use C as well (though a handful of developers did use Assembly for certain games, typically the ones that employed 3D engines).
I felt there was something off about it even as a kid. I still had fun with it, but it was so hard! I only finished it once, extremely sweaty in my hands and with an unhealthy heart rate.

Back
Top Bottom