• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |ST| The time machine is inside your desk drawer

Just got up to the revelation that the Deimos are basically just 22nd century tractors/heavy machinery for terraforming rather than some military superweapon and for some reason this is just such an awesome twist to me. It's like if you took a tractor back to roman times it would seem like this monstrous thing to the people back then.

I love the game's steady cadence of cool reveals like this, it's just so satisfying and addictive, and it's amazing how many it manages to pack in without it ever feeling forced or contrived.

Talk about revealing something crazy and a cliff hanger...
Yuki is a professor, she's Nat-Chan's Mum and to top it off, Mirua is actually not from 1945 but 2188 bruhhh

I managed to get lucky and be included in a Target deal for 30% video games. I looked through the list of eligible titles expecting most notable things to be excluded, but I was surprised to find this on the list. This really isn't something I would normally go for, but I figure for $40 it was worth a shot. It'll get here on Friday and I'm excited to start it!

Okay holy shit I just got to the twist that the characters are clones of the humans from 2188 on a distant planet in the far future sent by a DNA-carrying colony ship, and that 2188 version of Ryoko set the terraforming machines to turn on them and purge them as she had lost faith in the project and in humanity.
And the in game stats say I am 50% of the way through the story. Far out, just how awesome and insane does this game get!? I feel like it's packed in 10 normal stories' worth of juicy reveals just in its first half!

Okay holy shit I just got to the twist that the characters are clones of the humans from 2188 on a distant planet in the far future sent by a DNA-carrying colony ship, and that 2188 version of Ryoko set the terraforming machines to turn on them and purge them as she had lost faith in the project and in humanity.
And the in game stats say I am 50% of the way through the story. Far out, just how awesome and insane does this game get!? I feel like it's packed in 10 normal stories' worth of juicy reveals just in its first half!
Now you're getting into the real shit.

I just ordered a copy. So hype!

Let us know what you think!

It's so interesting that various people get the twists at various points in the story depending on what routes they take. l got that one much later. But yeah, you have much more to go. The game never stops!

I'm currently 71% in story/rememberance and there's so much mystery still??
Oh yeah. It keeps the hits coming all the way until the very end. This game is a masterclass in nonlinear storytelling and pacing, specifically on when and how to reveal things to the player.

I have now completed Juro, Iori and Megumi routes. Quite a few crazy things revealed here and there but I'm still so curious about fluffy. And there's so many questions I have, hoping to see them answered and experience more crazy stuff in other stories/routes lol.

So far, Remembrance is at 74%, Destruction 71% and Analysis 56%.

I can also say that I'm enjoying this game so much more than I expected. The presentation, story, characters, gameplay, VA and soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal.

I have now completed 10 stories and damn, so much to unpack here:
Only 10 people left on the colony and humanity on the brink of extinction. It makes sense now everytime there's a scene in 2188, it was always in Space since the surface is too toxic to live.

Almost near the end with this game and this has been a blast.

Having finished the game for about a month now, I think I can lay aside some opinions.

Mainly, sticking to Natsuno Minami's story, along with finding Deimos parts created by Shikishima and hints that they are really terraforming equipment pretty much solidified my initial suspicions that this was a post-Earth colony on some far-off system (B.J.'s statement about this not being Earth and them not being humans), but I wasn't sure why they'd go on to recreate the different time periods. Miura's story does shed light on the creation of Sectors but the reasons as to why it had to specifically be Japan still had me baffled until the whole coorporate political intrigue with Shikishima and their nanomachine tech was brought up by Ei Sekigahara's arc.

I'm still wondering if the reason they recreated the time periods using simulated Sectors was because the personel who've "awakened" early (realized the state they were in) could conduct post-human investigations on Shikishima's founders since they seem to be the source of the catastrophe: It turns out it was the AI Construct of Kenta Ogata who was orchestrating this all along, and makes me wonder if they will "arrest" Nenji's father upon recreation or, as in the case of Tetsuya Ida, "rehabilitate" (since Ida's reincarnations who manipualted all of them got killed, but his Sector 0 back up was still intact.) them. In any case, I did find it weird that Ida got off lightly despite the terrible things he did.

The same could also be said for Juro Izumi and how Okino would've been easily would be able to accept his word regarding the (altered) Deimos Code...after getting shot by Yakushiji whom he manipulated. Granted there were was a lot of post-level Destruction dialogue that fleshes this out, and it seemed they were willing to put aside their differences in the heat of the actual invasion.

My copy is coming today. Quick question, does it matter what order I play characters in? I have been avoiding almost any video / discussion on this game because I don't want any spoilers.

My copy is coming today. Quick question, does it matter what order I play characters in? I have been avoiding almost any video / discussion on this game because I don't want any spoilers.

Not at all. The beauty of the game is the way it allows you to completely go in the order you see fit.

Not finished yet, because I did a lot of the storylines off the bat, going back as soon as I unlock more. I finished Iori’s storyline, and the rest at 70 - 85 percent.

In destruction, I’ve done the first post tutorial city and halfway through the second city.

Loving the game! My only complaint is that due to the various storylines and how they slowly unlock, I sometimes get lost and forget certain events lol

I’m loving destruction mode a lot though. It’s a ton of fun. I’m still trying to figure out how to set up my 2nd Gen and 4th Gen sentinels. So if anyone has any tips of which armaments to use for those two generations, I will gladly take them.

Finished my first character campaign, Iori's.

The revelation that skipping to the reset and continuing into the next loop means being converted to data and your real self dying was a cool take on the digital immortality conundrum.

Her blink-and-you'll-miss-it bisexual awakening was nice as well. I liked that it was done in an entirely non-erotic way so that it didn't come off as mere fanservice.

On the whole, now that it's complete, I really enjoyed her story. :)

Lmao!
I'm dying, Ogata tries to confess to Kisarigi but in the most epic fail way and in open comes where everyone hears lmao. Kurabe then says he thinks Ogata sounds cool but it made him feel worse.

Am I missing something, twice now I've "finished" a segment of a characters story, there are no more branches to take, but the game isn't locking me out. My guess is I just need to proceed further in someone else's story or destruction to unlock more, but I don't know if I'm just missing some weird key word not relevant to this branch but important later.

Edit: nvm I figured it out, just means there's no "lock" and I can continue the story

Last edited:
Finished Juro's campaign.

The meta-twist of the world they're in borrowing code from a far-future Vanillaware game for its simulation and the kaiju being the result of leftover enemy AI code that was meant to be unused was hella cool.

The battles are starting to get challenging even on Casual. I'd been getting straights S ranks but got a D one of the most recent missions when I accidentally let some enemies slip through. So far I've never lost a match though, and have finished the first two post-tutorial areas so unless the difficulty spikes from here on I should be okay.

Around two thirds of the way through the game now and it continues to surprise and delight.

YEESSSSSSSS!
I freaking love it when a game
plays the main title theme within the final battle theme, so hype!

After 36 hours, I have completed the story (100% Remembrance, 100% Destruction and 99% Analysis) and...wow.

This was such an amazing ride, lots of twists and turns that made my eye pop out and made me go What!?/oh shit! Although at the same time, I predicted quite of a lot of the twists lol.

I still need time to think and collect all my thoughts on this game but I can confidently say that the game deserves the praise it got.

What a game man...

Am I missing something, twice now I've "finished" a segment of a characters story, there are no more branches to take, but the game isn't locking me out. My guess is I just need to proceed further in someone else's story or destruction to unlock more, but I don't know if I'm just missing some weird key word not relevant to this branch but important later.

Edit: nvm I figured it out, just means there's no "lock" and I can continue the story

Right, sorry for not getting here to answer earlier. But I'm glad you managed to solve it!

YEESSSSSSSS!
I freaking love it when a game
plays the main title theme within the final battle theme, so hype!

After 36 hours, I have completed the story (100% Remembrance, 100% Destruction and 99% Analysis) and...wow.

This was such an amazing ride, lots of twists and turns that made my eye pop out and made me go What!?/oh shit! Although at the same time, I predicted quite of a lot of the twists lol.

I still need time to think and collect all my thoughts on this game but I can confidently say that the game deserves the praise it got.

What a game man...

It is indeed a game unlike any other. I'm glad you picked up the same thing I did in the thing you mentioned in the spoiler tag. That was HYPE AS HECK! And one of my favourite parts in the entire game.

One thing I really like is that the Destruction section has no filler, with every level introducing some new enemy or mechanic.
I'm glad they didn't pad it out with repetitive content just to make it equally as long as Remembrance.

Just woke up and I've been thinking about the game all morning and breakfast lol.

After some thinking, I just realised something:
Shiba or 426/Izumi would always ask Juro to go to Shu Amaguchi's house. Back then I didn't realise until now: he was actually using the TV to communicate with Inba pop singer (2188 Tomi). This becomes more apparent when playing Megumi since when you change the channel to Inba singing, Fluffy reacts saying 'Yes, that one, good!'

If I were to replay the game, I would to notice all the foreshadowing lol.

Just did some battles and got everything at S rank and got 100% in everything. And I did a few battles in the post game and I was curious and googled how many waves there are...what the actual f*ck, 9k+ waves?!? I'm definitely done lmao.

Last edited:
Ryoko Shinonome is my favorite character.

Actually, you know what...I take that back. It's still Miwako Sawatori.

Ryoko Shinonome is my favorite character.

Actually, you know what...I take that back. It's still Miwako Sawatori.
Almost every time I've seen someone make a tier list, it's a standard tier list, but a disclaimer saying that PS, best character is actually Miwako.

Miwako motivated me to make a GIF of her.
13SAR_-_Miwako_Sawatari.gif

I'm far from finished with Ryoko's story but she's definitely up there for me too. The other contenders would be Keitaro, Yuki, and Nastuno.

That said, there's not a single one I dislike and it's one of the game's many impressive achievements that they managed to have 13 protagonists and not a single one is a dud.

Is there a good recap/summary of the story video on youtube? While I mostly understand what happened I'd like to see something that might help clear up any lingering questions I have.

86% done and it's all starting to come together. Seeing a conversation or interaction at the end of one character's story and realizing that I remember it from early in another's is just so satisfying.

Also, I'm no technical expert, but the sheer multitude of units that fill the battlefield in some of the later levels, feels like an impressive feat for the Switch's modest CPU capability.

Yeah, all my gen 1 fighters ended up pretty busted by the end.
I'm only like halfway through Destruction so maybe I'm playing wrong, but Gen 1 seems... Overtuned? I feel like I don't really have good options for bringing down armored guys outside of Demolisher Blade. The Gen 1s are supposed to be bad at mobility and against fliers, but they have ways to get around both of those weaknesses, so everyone else just feels like they're there to play supporting roles.

For the Find Shinonome module, I went to the school first and the other three options are considered complete. Is there a way to view those scenes?

There's no time travel going on here, everyone is in a future spaceship. The sectors are all different Ashitaba Cities built across the spaceship to resemble different time periods, and the youths are being transported through space, not time. Sekigahara's lost world is another spaceship that he got transported from, and the adult Juro Izumi hasn't shown up in person because he died trying to save that spaceship.

Last edited:
Cleared the game at 100%.

Played through Destruction on Normal, only needed a few replays to get S ranks/bonus objectives. Wasn't sure how to get by 3-10's healing boss, ended up going with a Kurabe Kombo of jammer launchers -> atk up meta skill -> elite plasma cutter. Used Ogata/Sekigahara/Kurabe/Kisaragi/Yakushiji/Takamiya as the squad for the last two battles. Got a C on the final battle and have some 800k Meta Chips to burn but I think I'm done with this game. Will watch the final scene tonight and review the story before I post about it.

Great game, really enjoyed it, would recommend, some thoughts I had:

Kurabe's romance with Yakushiji comes across as forced. Juro is very clearly off-put by her living with him and spends most of the game trying to avoid her, why do they end up as a couple? Yakushiji in general feels like she's mostly there for plot purposes, outside of shooting people full of nanomachines she doesn't really interact with anyone other than Juro

Sekigahara really came out ahead of Shinonome. Both were cloned from real douchebags, lost their memories and acted as lackeys for Ida, but while Shinonome spent the game wandering around and guzzling pills, Sekigahara got to drive a cool motorcycle and shoot bad guys. Sekigahara had a girl who grows up to look like Chihiro Morimura throwing herself at him, meanwhile Shinonome is the only remaining bachelorette of the playable cast at the end (unless she's supposed to end up with Gouto? which would be even weirder than Kurabe and Yakushiji but idk)

Ogata really doesn't do much of anything, does he? He's got good animations and Condenser Demolisher Blade is cool in Destruction, but his story isn't really meaningful to the plot and he's mostly a bit player in the other stories. At least his romance works better than KurabeXYakushiji or AmiguchiXTakamiya

Hijiyama and Gouto also feel like they got the short end of the stick, since their stories are more about Okino and Morimura respectively. Hijiyama at least gets better interactions with other characters than Yakushiji, but Gouto was kind of disappointing; he was presented as this mastermind guy who got the gang together, but we don't get to see that, and a lot of his story ends up replicated in Destruction

Why did they send both Minami and Takamiya into space to repopulate humanity? Seems bad for the gene pool, considering that the original plan didn't include bringing the AIs to life

Finished Remembrance and reached the final level of Destruction. I still have many questions and am intrigued to see how it will all wrap up. If the conclusion can live up to the setup, this might just be the best video game story I have ever experienced.
Now that I've finished every character's story I think my favourites are Megumi, Keitaro, and Ryoko.

Any strategic tips or general advice to get through the final battle?
I hear it's quite difficult and the second-to-last stage already made me sweat. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
For those in the US, this is currently $39.99 at GameStop, Best Buy and Target.

Recently picked it up for Switch and really enjoying the story so far. It has given me some wild dreams.

I hear it's quite difficult and the second-to-last stage already made me sweat. Any help at all would be much appreciated.
If you have Juro at Lv. 30, his last skill is very helpful. Otherwise, just bring a well-rounded squad.

Finished Remembrance and reached the final level of Destruction. I still have many questions and am intrigued to see how it will all wrap up. If the conclusion can live up to the setup, this might just be the best video game story I have ever experienced.
Now that I've finished every character's story I think my favourites are Megumi, Keitaro, and Ryoko.

One of my favorite games of all time. Loved it on PS4, really pumped for a second playthrough on Switch.

Nice to see the hype :D

"Best video game story I have ever experienced" is some fine praise! @curl-6

I will say I really enjoyed the reveal that when they're in the Sentinel's cockpits that's actually them in their Matrix pods in the real world, and Okino's cheeky aside that why would a giant robot have a cockpit because the recoil would kill the pilot instantly the first time you hit something.

Finished the game last night, and oh my gosh what a wild ride.

The labyrinthine and enthralling story, the endearing characters, the killer soundtrack, the palpable love and passion for all things science fiction, the lovely art style, the badass kaiji-vs-mech tactical action, just an incredible experience from top to bottom, and truly one of the most unique and memorable games I've ever played.

Following that ending after a 35 hour/2 month journey, I am left with a similar feeling to when you finish an amazing book or TV show, where you feel as though you've gotten to know and love the characters and having to part ways with them is so deeply bittersweet.

Seeing the vast open landscape of the new Earth, rich in vibrant colours and vegetation, after spending almost the whole game in various virtual cityscapes, was such an amazing moment, as was the final scene where the Izumi and Morimura of two loops ago are reunited in the virtual world and symbolically transform back from their adult to their teenage selves.

Very few games have managed to intrigue and move me like this one. Thank you so much to all of you who encouraged me to give it a try after my initial hesitance. It's not the kind of game I would usually play but I am so, so glad I took a chance on it.

Bravo, Vanillaware. Bravo.

Sorry for the bump, this is on sale atm, I have been on the fence on picking this game up before as I’ve never really played visual novels. Switch has changed the types of games I have been into and I do like tactical strategy games, would people recommend this for a VN noob?

Sorry for the bump, this is on sale atm, I have been on the fence on picking this game up before as I’ve never really played visual novels. Switch has changed the types of games I have been into and I do like tactical strategy games, would people recommend this for a VN noob?
This was my first as well. The fact that you can play it in the order you want and the chapters that are quite short are good for short play sessions so you don't burn out.
The "tactical" part of the game is not super technical and there's levels of difficulty you can change anytime, so you can have the challenge you like.
The fact that it's not entirely a VN with the tactical part makes it more friendly for first timers I think as it can bring some fresh air if you're tired of reading.

Back
Top Bottom