• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV ‘Futurama’ revived at Hulu for 20-episode run

E

Emily

c9f65ff3ea605f0c601ba8b5b29fb9f1

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Nearly 10 years after it signed off, Futurama has been revived for a 20-episode run on Hulu, the third platform for the animated comedy from creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen.

The series that aired its first five seasons on Fox before being revived for three more at Comedy Central will return to production this month for a 2023 premiere. Following an extended deal-making period, original stars Billy West (Fry) and Katey Sagal (Leela) along with ensemble players who voiced multiple characters Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr and David Herman will all return. John DiMaggio, who provided the voice behind the wise-cracking robot with the “shiny metal ass” Bender, is finalizing a deal to return as well though a deal has not yet closed.

“I’m thrilled to have another chance to think about the future … or really anything other than the present,” Cohen said. Added Groening: “It’s a true honor to announce the triumphant return of Futurama one more time before we get canceled abruptly again.”

I still haven’t seen anything beyond the original seasons, I don’t think I had cable when it was revived, but I would like to one day. Futurama is a fun show so I’m glad it keeps coming back.

I still haven’t seen anything beyond the original seasons, I don’t think I had cable when it was revived, but I would like to one day. Futurama is a fun show so I’m glad it keeps coming back.
I liked the original seasons the best, honestly.

Sounds like a bad thing, all things considered.

This is one of those "comedy shows" that has actual character development. The closest analogue I could think of for live action comedy is something like Frasier. Considering it's had like 2 "legitimate" endings so far (which to be fair, one of them was a rushed cliffhanger because of cancellation), I don't understand the point in bringing it back a third time. Especially because, while I haven't seen the last few seasons, from what I understand fans generally agree the last episode is great, great stuff from a closure perspective. Given that I just don't understand it, I don't get it. Where's the hype?

Also, the first season or two I saw of the returned show just ... were ok? Very bland in my honest opinion.

I love Futurama (including the last few seasons) but honestly it was perfect how the series ended. We don't need another neverending series like the Simpsons.

This show has had so many finales and revivals it has to be some kind of record.

Ah fuck, I know I'm gonna watch this and I know I'm stoked as long DiMaggio returns, but I can't imagine they wouldn't throw enough money to keep Bender authentic

The modern pain of seeing the things you loved as a child shamble endlessly from the grave to come sit in your parlor as pale, lifeless and mocking shadows.

Out of the two modern seasons and a whole of duds trying to be topical, there were at least some interesting episodes like Overclockwise, Benderama, to the pretty good like The Late Philip J. Fry and Meanwhile.

Those might also be the only episodes worth watching bar one or two other examples out of the later seasons. So I'm just looking for one. One good episode out of this run. Is it too much to ask?

I liked the revival stuff, but I think 3 times is enough times for the property to be returned. Don't have any interest, I'd rather this not become a Simpsons situation.

Why not. I did still enjoy the later stuff, even if it wasn’t as good as the earlier episodes of course. Honestly I just love all these characters so much I’ll be glad to see them again even if it’s mediocre.

Why.

I loved the original series but it has died and revived so many times it's beginning to feel weird. Let the series actually end, people.

Even at its worst, Futurama is very fun. Looking forward to more.

If they can't get DiMaggio back, swap Bender for full-time Hedonism Bot.

the OG show had some of the smartest writers in the entire business. without them there’s no way in hell this’ll live up to what came before.

the ending was absolutely perfect. i’m not gonna ruin that for myself than a mediocre revival

Also recasting Bender is super lame. I was already uninterested in this but losing a living voice actor who isn't retired is dumb.

I liked Futurama, even the later seasons (which weren't as good, but were still fine). But it ended way before it could become some horrific zombie series and I'm very skeptical this is going to work out. I suppose we'll see though.

I don't trust this, but I also want to be optimistic at the same time.

I liked Futurama, even the later seasons (which weren't as good, but were still fine). But it ended way before it could become some horrific zombie series and I'm very skeptical this is going to work out. I suppose we'll see though.
I like that the series is being rebooted since it ties into the ending the original.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see things play out differently. It would be interesting to see Fry, Leela or the Professor still have their memories before rebooting the timelime. (I assume more so The Professor). And he decided to tamper with the timeline or tries to hide it and fails. He admits his secret and when asked about what does happen in the future, he does a quick rundown of all the events. But no one believes him thinking he's just old. But as more events happen that line up to the Professor the planet express crew believes him more and more. Especially Fry and Leela being married & are soul mates.

After 10 years...and only 2 month wait. It's gonna be epic. Really want to see how will it continue on how it ended, I hope it's not of these "we don't remember that".

I’m skeptical, but I’ll watch it. “Meanwhile” is one of my favorite finales ever so there’s a high bar to clear.

The Comedy Central seasons felt like season 9-10 of the Simpsons, where it's still somewhat recognizable as the show you remember, but it feels less refined and more struggling to get the joke out. I'm not too optimistic about this even if the CC run did have a couple of classics (namely The Late Philip J. Fry and Meanwhile). They've canceled this show about 4 times and still revive it constantly for some reason.

Wait, 20 episodes is a full, "classic TV" season. That's quite a bit by streaming standards, isn't it?
Actually, you're right. Archer has always been fairly short on episodes per season but the last few have all been 8 episodes. Animaniacs was only 10 episodes for this season, less than it's previous 13 each season. Rick and Morty is typically 10 episodes.

For such a short break since they went off the air last time they must be bubbling with ideas. I'm rather excited!

Actually, you're right. Archer has always been fairly short on episodes per season but the last few have all been 8 episodes. Animaniacs was only 10 episodes for this season, less than it's previous 13 each season. Rick and Morty is typically 10 episodes.

For such a short break since they went off the air last time they must be bubbling with ideas. I'm rather excited!
Maybe; but 20-ish episodes a season used to be the norm for a lot of sitcoms. Seinfeld usually had 24 episodes a season, while that 70's show had 25!

A good example of the difference between network television and streaming seasons is South Park. On comedy central, the first 16 seasons mostly ranged between 14-17 episodes a season. Then they scaled back to 10 episodes a season. Now, in the age of streaming, they're doing 6 episodes a season. And most streaming services order shows a "season at a time," even if they sometimes cheat a bit by breaking a season into multiple parts.

So, to hear that they ordered 20 episodes of Futurama all at once is actually surprising. It sounds like we might be getting a classic, "network TV" style 20 episode season. Honestly, that might be a good thing because that kind of crazy schedule forces the writers to be brief, as we've been finding out with all these super-long ass and self-indulgent streaming shows.

The first episode is out!

And it's not terrible! It's actually pretty decent. It's leagues better than Susan Boyle and Eye-Phones. On the otherhand, it's a very meta episode about streaming.

The first episode is out!

And it's not terrible! It's actually pretty decent. It's leagues better than Susan Boyle and Eye-Phones. On the otherhand, it's a very meta episode about streaming.
Copy/pasted every thought that went through my mind watching.

I had a good laugh about The Scary Mirror. I’ll call that a win!

The whole meta commentary thing is so well worn it's boring at this point, but overall the episode was funny and I have hope for the rest of the season.

Watched both episodes and I‘m honestly surprised that they are not bad? I didn’t mind about the meta commentary of the first one and the second really picked up on a story line of an earlier episode which got me off guard. Like they even kept the character development and it dosen‘t feel much different to the rest of the series (expect maybe Billy West sounding older).

While they probably never can reach the best episodes of early Futurama, this is actually a well enough start to the point that I‘m looking forward to the next episodes. Maybe there will be some cool ones.

Last edited:
Episode 4: Worms regained.

What the heck was that? That might have been worse than the eye-phone episode.

I will say I think this Xmas episode is among my favourites so far of the new season. I'm still giving the earlier episodes a pass, but this one actually got me to burst out laughing.

Back
Top Bottom