• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion YouTube Views of Trailers from the June 2024 Nintendo Direct (View Threadmarks for More Data)

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
YouTube views of individual trailers from the Direct a day later (from Nintendo's channel only):

Metroid Prime 4 - 1.2 million
Echoes of Wisdom - 2.2m
Mario & Luigi: Brothership - 1.2m
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - 108k
Mario Party - 609k
DKC Returns - 342k
Dragon Quest - 227k

Zelda doing the best is not surprising at all, the Luigi's Mansion 2 number seems alarmingly low. The series is very popular, I wonder if it's just that the audience that buys these games is not watching trailers on YouTube.

Last edited:
Not surprising that LM2 is not doing that well since is an already announced remaster of a 3DS game, one that by the way feels like a regression in terms of gameplay after LM3 which is in the same system (This is what will happen to something like Samus Returns is if re-released on Switch). It would have been more appropriate to remaster a 3DS game that doesn't have another entry on Switch like Kid Icarus: Uprising or at least a 3DS game that doesn't have a sequel on Switch that follows the exact same formula and improves it like A Link Between Worlds.

I am glad that Mario&Luigi is getting some recognition though.

should note this is the NoA numbers; Metroid's predictably not doing so hot with the Japan channel while DQ's views are, similarly, predictably higher over there

I feel like the LM2 numbers are a product of it being a) a re-release and b) a game they announced a year ago and have shown plenty of by now. At this point people know whether or not they're into it and don't really need to watch another trailer a week before release. I'm sure it'll do fine, probably somewhere between 3-5 million if I had to guess

Last edited:
The Nintendo Direct itself is at 4.8 million views if you want to add that too OP.

Zelda got a lot of buzz. I’m very interested to see how it does, might be the best selling 2D game

I dunno if these are the actual views because close to when they are uploaded and the numbers start to go up fast, youtube tends to glitch out and freeze the views at times

Also yeah I dunno if LM2 is a really fair comparison

Comparison With Japanese Views New
Just to compare different regions.

Nintendo of AmericaNintendo JP
Nintendo Direct (all views, not just livestream)4.8 million1.6 million
Mario & Luigi Brotherhood1.2 million319K
Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake230K655K
The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom2.2 million533K
Metroid Prime 4: Beyond1.2 million134K
Donkey Kong Country Returns HD346K117K
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD110K23K
Super Mario Party Jamboree620K187K

As you'd expect, Dragon Quest is the most popular stand-alone trailer on the Japanese YouTube channel, followed by Zelda and Mario & Luigi.

Last edited:
The Nintendo Direct itself is at 4.8 million views if you want to add that too OP.

Zelda got a lot of buzz. I’m very interested to see how it does, might be the best selling 2D game
I don't think it will even get close to the sales of some 2D Mario games.

Zelda doing the best is not surprising at all, the Luigi's Mansion 2 number seems alarmingly low. The series is very popular, I wonder if it's just that the audience that buys these games is not watching trailers on YouTube.

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is a game that was announced a year and a half ago from now. Plus like others have said, we've seen this game plenty of times already.

Crazy how the Direct has reached more views than the Xbox Showcase, which had cod.

Meanwhile the State of Play is there... Sitting in the cold.

But in all honesty, both Xbox and Nintendo brought heat, especially Nintendo, since this is probably their last Switch focus direct.

Crazy how the Direct has reached more views than the Xbox Showcase, which had cod.

Meanwhile the State of Play is there... Sitting in the cold.

But in all honesty, both Xbox and Nintendo brought heat, especially Nintendo, since this is probably their last Switch focus direct.
I can't find the Xbox showcase, it seems spread out over multiple sources

If I had to guess, both Mario Party and Luigi's Mansion 2 are games that will get lots of sales from more casual buyers who aren't checking out YouTube trailers the day after they release. It makes sense to me that there isn't a ton of hardcore interest in a new Luigi's Mansion 2 trailers right now, which was revealed a while ago, has been shown multiple times since (including previews), and is just a remaster of an existing game. Without that initial hardcore interest or something new to catch people's attention, I have a hard time imagining how the trailer would be spread around.

Zelda gets a bump because the IP is probably bigger than ever and "you play as the princess this time" catches people's attention, so I understand it leading. This is basically Metroid Prime 4's reveal trailer and the franchise has a strong hardcore base, so I get those numbers, too. The surprise for me is probably Mario & Luigi Brothership, but I suppose that probably has a strong fanbase as well (which includes me). I'm realizing I have no idea how well past Mario & Luigi games sold.

I can't find the Xbox showcase, it seems spread out over multiple sources

I believe this should be it.

I'm not sure about the rules of YouTube, but I'm curious if the audience during live streaming will have an impact on these numbers?

Are these just clicks from the audience after the live broadcast?

Nintendo Direct Broadcasts With Highest Concurrent Viewers New
How does this compare to other directs?
The livestream had the highest average concurrent viewership of any Nintendo Direct to-date at 2.2 million viewers. However, E3 2021 still holds the record for highest peak viewership.

charts_direct_pv-7b30861aca960309b8bf34cc2e74eb91.png

For clarity, the original Luigi's Mansion 2 HD reveal trailer from last September has 1.8 million views. Obviously it's been out for 9 months, but I'd assume most were from the period of it's initial posting

Comparison With Other Shows of the Summer New
Here's the comparison between all the big showcases.

Nintendo of America Direct Views 4.8M 175K Likes, meanwhile 6,6 Dislikes
Xbox Showcase main channel Views 3.9M 131K Likes, meanwhile 8,7K Dislikes
Summer Game Fest (TGA) Views 7.3M 91K Likes, meanwhile 19K Dislikes
Sony State of Play Views 1.8M 56K Likes, meanwhile 30K Dislikes

Overall Nintendo and Xbox were the best received and had the most positive feedback and had the most online influence and hyp.
Summer game fest, was the most viewed, but was slightly mix, but was well liked, it was also streamed on the game award channel.
State of play was the worst performing and also was the most disliked presentation.

Usually western third party reveals stack up some big views but this one didn't have anything besides indie ones. Batman Arkham trilogy got 700k in 2 days (1.1m total), Tomb Raider got 450k in first day (550 in total) and Epic Mickey did crazy and got 1.2m in first day (1.9 in total).

For some reason Nintendo did not upload the Battlefront Collection trailer right away (they did 2 days after the Direct) and Playstation channel got all the views with 1.8m views. Don't forget, Playstation channel always come on top in any third party game search.

Here's the comparison between all the big showcases.

Nintendo of America Direct Views 4.8M 175K Likes, meanwhile 6,6 Dislikes
Xbox Showcase main channel Views 3.9M 131K Likes, meanwhile 8,7K Dislikes
Summer Game Fest (TGA) Views 7.3M 91K Likes, meanwhile 19K Dislikes
Sony State of Play Views 1.8M 56K Likes, meanwhile 30K Dislikes

Overall Nintendo and Xbox were the best received and had the most positive feedback and had the most online influence and hyp.
Summer game fest, was the most viewed, but was slightly mix, but was well liked, it was also streamed on the game award channel.
State of play was the worst performing and also was the most disliked presentation.
I’m more surprised by the NOA numbers if anything, especially since it was livestreamed at 7 AM Pacific/10 AM Eastern on a Tuesday morning lol. I know it counts for views after the livestream as well, but still

Live Viewership Data for All Shows of the Summer New
I guess to round things out, the live viewership data for the big four showcases of Not-E3:
  1. Nintendo Direct (2.96 million peak, 2.2 million average)
  2. Xbox Games Showcase & COD Black Ops 6 Direct (2.37 million peak, 1.88 million average)
  3. Summer Games Fest (1.63 million peak, 1.46 million average)
  4. Sony State of Play (1.5 million peak, 1.25 million average)
Don’t follow YouTube viewership. Is it likely that EOW will surpass the 5 million views that LA remake reveal had?
EOW already has more views at this point than the LA remake reveal trailer had after its first 24 hours, so probably.

The direct broke the record for most concurrent viewers on a single stream in Japan (2m+ vs 1.33m)

Credit to @Lake on IB
Mario & Luigi:
NA X - 7m views, 91k likes
JP X - 6.5m views, 57k likes

NA YT - 1.1m
JP YT - 301k

Dragon Quest:
NA X - 853k views, 12k likes
JP X - 9m views, 89k likes

NA YT - 214k
JP YT - 602k

Metroid:
NA X - 4.5m views, 74k likes
JP X - 2.6m views, 22k likes

NA YT - 1.1m
JP YT - 127k

Zelda:
NA X - 5.5m views, 73k likes
JP X - 4.6m views, 49k likes

NA YT - 2m
JP YT - 504k
Part of the reason YT spiked so high this time around was due to the Kadokawa Group (NicoNico) being a victim of a cyberware attack.

I think LM2 HD views are a case of "who cares". Nintendo put it in here for a last push for the game because it's out next week but there was no new information, so the trailer views being low makes sense.

I also noticed the views for Switch Sports Basketball are really low but that also makes sense. Random free update for an old game.

I didn't think Nintendo could top the Xbox showcase, but they did even if we exclude the global numbers and just look at North America

From the different european main channels the direct stream seems to have gathered another 1.5M streams.
So between the big markets that's 8-ish million views for the entire show on youtube only.

Nintendo seems like they're on top of the world right now.

The fact that Nintendo direct viewership does not decline at all even this late into the Switch lifespan is a very good sign for Nintendo, it means the audience for their games is not declining in interest, which of course makes it even more unlikely to find themselves in a Wii U situation.

Back
Top Bottom