• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour [Windows Central] Xbox's multiplatform initiative has been codenamed "Latitude", "no red lines" on ports

I'm really curious if that next gen Xbox can be their Switch turnaround moment... but I seriously don't expect it.
it would happen... If the Xbox had killer exclusives, i'm still baffled at how Phil bought all of these studio and Still no games, like Phil had about 10 years to build a killing line up of games, instead he shit the bed and Microsoft decided to go multiplatform, which pretty much killed the brand.

It's crazy how Hi Fi rush is Xbox only good exclusive and they just decided to shut down the studio, which still upsets me.

Buying all these studios to have more exclusive games only to make them available day one on Gamepass never really seemed like it was going to make sense.

Id love to play Tell Me Why, Viva Pinata and Hifi Rush on my Switch 2. Not much else though.

sSP25pb.png

The most ironic of it all is, I doubt Nintendo would care for buying Xbox even if they were selling for cheap.

I wouldn't be shocked if Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite multiplayer are next and out by the end of the year. They're both live service money machines with good reception.
Can't wait for a whole new swath of gamers being exposed to 343 and their weird monetization schemes.

What a weird turn of events. All those acquisitions and this is where Microsoft lands. Chasing the stream dream was always foolโ€™s gold.

I really want the timeline where Microsoft goes full PC + Switch 2. Doing things purely out of unbridled, blinding spite would be the cherry on top of everything. Iโ€™m sorry; Iโ€™m only here to watch the world burn.

Joke is Nintendo donโ€™t want them lol
IMG-2392.gif

Apparently on Jez's podcast, he says he knows of two games that will launch day and date on both Xbox and Playstation. Nate on Era is also saying he's heard other games coming to PS5 with earliest possibly arriving this holiday but he still hasn't fully confirmed it so no point in speculating too much.

Last edited:
Uhumโ€ฆ ok.
Itโ€™s just plain boring hearing about business models. people will like and respect where there is good and unique content, with some type of exclusivity that ups the brand.

Apparently on Jez's podcast, he says he knows of two games that will launch day and date on both Xbox and Playstation. Nate on Era is also saying he's heard other games coming to PS5 with earliest possibly arriving this holiday but he still hasn't fully confirmed it so no point in speculating too much.
I'm gonna assume anything that hits PS5 will also hit the successor. While the current Switch getting the collections of older games, hopefully starting with that rumored Gears collection.

Right now, I think the only pro selling point is the access to the legacy content of past Xbox consoles. I still have the slightest inkling to buy an XSX simply because when TimeSplitters 2 & 3 were announced for backwards compatibility, I later saw those two games on sale for $3 each so I bought them under my MS account without having an Xbox console to play them. Logically, I know it would be dumb to hop in the ecosystem now...but it's probably the only way I can play those games again on modern hardware on an HDTV lol.

Ideally, those Xbox BC games could somehow be brought to PC too (if it weren't for those pesky licensing and legal hurdles lmao), but as of now I don't even think MS knows what they want. Fling spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks if it makes them money.

These leaks and rumours change all the time, so letโ€™s see. If thereโ€™s two games itโ€™s probably Indiana Jones and Avowed, but Iโ€™ll just wait until it comes from Microsoft themselves.

in hindsight it was a good idea Nintendo didn't sell.
There is no need for hindsight. There is no time in any universe where a sale from Nintendo to Microsoft would be anything but an abominable nightmare. Xbox 360 was a good console that took advantage of the arrogance of Sony with the PS3, but in absolute Microsoft has never changed, it is the Windows assholes who want to crush everything with their money and their ecosystem.

I remember having a distinct "what the hell is happening" moment several years ago when part of Microsoft's E3 presentation that year was just announcing the studios they acquired, to which the audience cheered and applauded for every one of them. It felt so dystopian to me that the audience was approving of this. This whole situation was Microsoft's entire M.O. with the Xbox as far back as at least 2002, and there was no way it was going to do them any favors in the long run. They are finally starting to reap what they sowed.

It could work out well just not for the hardware. They're not $70 billion the hole with ActiBlizzKing. They own the company that was worth $70 billion. Now it's a matter of does that company stay worth that and grows from that valuation and how does Xbox Game Studio/Bethesda video games do as third party and my guess post third party embrace, using them more in cheaper to produce mobile titles and maybe a couple Diablo Immortal scale games. How well does the mobile CoD Warzone grow as its phone system requirements become cheaper phones over the years and Warcraft Rumble if that catches on. Candy Crush stay popular.

I think it's kinda ironic and somewhat sad that MS didn't even give them ... let's say a year, to see how things pan out.

They basically bought ActiBlizz and "noped out" before they could even release a high-profile game under MS ownership.
Probably didnโ€™t help that the legal strategy was, โ€œXbox isnโ€™t selling and we canโ€™t make games and we wonโ€™t even come close to surviving if we donโ€™t buy out this company and use it to stay remotely competitive.โ€ Iโ€™m sure the suits at corporate took that to heart and said, โ€œtime to maximize ROI now!โ€

They until recently had their next gen console all planned.
I imagine it would be a Gamepass machine?
I think XSX is a great piece of tech, I didn't mind buying it, and I love gamepass, I wish it was the industry standard of content delivery, but buying a whole console for games you can also play elsewhere is an increasingly difficult sell.

Say I buy 1 MS exclusive, 1 multiplatform game and 3 indies a year that I would otherwise get through gamepass, that's 200 euro a year. Over al 7 year console lifespan that's 1400 euro.
An XSX plus seven years of gamepass is 500+924=1424. That's.. actually surprisingly decent, hmm. Okay I might keep doing this. But a weak MS year is immediate doubt.

I say this as a Series X owner, but a PS5 looks to be a far better investment at this point. You get the PS exclusives plus the Xbox no-longer-exclusives.

Putting Switch aside (for the sake of simplifying the argument) it will, probably, be the better platform for 3rd party in the medium to long term as well.

GTA 6, for example, will be a big deal for me and I can easily see it being a superior experience on the PlayStation.

I think XSX is a great piece of tech, I didn't mind buying it, and I love gamepass, I wish it was the industry standard of content delivery, but buying a whole console for games you can also play elsewhere is an increasingly difficult sell.

Say I buy 1 MS exclusive, 1 multiplatform game and 3 indies a year that I would otherwise get through gamepass, that's 200 euro a year. Over al 7 year console lifespan that's 1400 euro.
An XSX plus seven years of gamepass is 500+924=1424. That's.. actually surprisingly decent, hmm. Okay I might keep doing this. But a weak MS year is immediate doubt.
Microsoft has proven why Gamepass isn't (and shouldn't) be the industry standard. It's simply too expensive, because you're sacrificing individual game sales for a flat subscription fee, and if you want third-party games on the service, you need to pay those third parties out the nose to make it worth their while. And you'll still be losing money so long as the subscriber count isn't enough to offset the cost of getting games on the service in the first place.

The only reason Microsoft has managed to maintain it this long is because Microsoft could afford the losses as Xbox was traditionally a small part of the overall business. And then Phil went on an acquisition spree and spent dozens of billions of dollars on studios, and now the overall Microsoft leadership want to ensure Xbox isn't a giant moneysink.

Dear Phil, I wrote you but you still ain't calling
I left my email, my twitter, and my phone at the bottom
I sent two DMs back in autumn, you must not've got 'em
There probably was a problem at the X HQ or something
is

is this fucking Stan

the thing about all those acquisitions is that they weren't strictly for Xbox as it currently exists โ€” they're also for whatever form it could take on a more Windows-specific integration improved from the currently existing ones, and to do well as a publisher even if their machines aren't widely circulating.

But that's the thing for me that they just fucked up big-time โ€” this plan always accounted for success or failure in the Xbox Hardware department, but they've displayed widely and flagrantly that they cannot be trusted as a publisher and will simply vacuum up a studio just to hollow it out and toss it.

Even if you argue that the move is to collect IPs and discard those that made them happen... where are they gonna fill that back in from? who's gonna make those IPs have any value going forward via new games? is it to license tchotchkes in the abyss? get more mid streaming series' produced before that bubble finishes bursting?

consolidating control and then killing the future of all of these things... it's fuckin' bleak!

Microsoft has proven why Gamepass isn't (and shouldn't) be the industry standard. It's simply too expensive, because you're sacrificing individual game sales for a flat subscription fee, and if you want third-party games on the service, you need to pay those third parties out the nose to make it worth their while. And you'll still be losing money so long as the subscriber count isn't enough to offset the cost of getting games on the service in the first place.
I think a subscription should be perfectly sustainable, why not? It's much better to have a sustained income than keep operating on a boom and bust cycle. But yeah, you need more subscribers than 30 million to have a sustained drip of hits. Even then, my backlog is pretty big, I still want to play Resi3 and the recent Tales, but I'm prioritizing Hellblade 2.

I think a subscription should be perfectly sustainable, why not? It's much better to have a sustained income than keep operating on a boom and bust cycle. But yeah, you need more subscribers than 30 million to have a sustained drip of hits. Even then, my backlog is pretty big, I still want to play Resi3 and the recent Tales, but I'm prioritizing Hellblade 2.
Game development costs obviously aren't cheap, but the way Gamepass "credits" revenue to top-performing games isn't enough to sustainably recoup the those dev costs. And again, Microsoft was paying third-parties huge sums to put their games on Gamepass for just six months. And this was all done with a blatantly unrealistic goal of 100 million Gamepass subscribers by 2030.

It's just not financially sustainable and is hitting the same issues that streaming services like Disney Plus are encountering. Too much money going to pay for programing to a subscriber count that can't offset the cost, and boosting the subscription price will just drive people away.

The way Xbox is doing it is completely incompatible with how subscriptions actually work.

Now, I Xbox had the leadership to actively stop game sales.... Well that's something, because you would need a subscription. But most people just buy the games they want.

Netflix is also the only subscription service that is actually profitable btw. They did this by cutting out third party content, and having so quantity that something hits. They did so many short and cheap projects and some took off.

Sometimes that culturally relevant hit is an 80s throwback thriller, or it's spinoff of the Adams Family, or a K-Drama that's all about capitalism, or it's a reality TV show where people are trapped in apartments and they can only communicate via text. Netflix has variety, and they realize as creators that you never know what is going to go viral. They focus on smaller projects and huge projects.

The way that Xbox works, where they even struggle to release a single solid game a year, is inherently incompatible with Gamepass. You need consistent growth, consistent hits to really have Gamepass succeed. And that's not going to happen. Even with CoD.

Game development costs obviously aren't cheap, but the way Gamepass "credits" revenue to top-performing games isn't enough to sustainably recoup the those dev costs. And again, Microsoft was paying third-parties huge sums to put their games on Gamepass for just six months. And this was all done with a blatantly unrealistic goal of 100 million Gamepass subscribers by 2030.

It's just not financially sustainable and is hitting the same issues that streaming services like Disney Plus are encountering. Too much money going to pay for programing to a subscriber count that can't offset the cost, and boosting the subscription price will just drive people away.
Disney+ is only becoming relatively sustainable for the big mouse now that the ad-tier has settled. Microsoft on the other hand is in a rougher spot to do the same with Game Pass.

Jez Corden is well-known as an Xbox fanboy/apologist. When he's rattled to the extent that even he loses faith in Microsoft, it's a rather unique barometer to measure how badly MS is fucking up.
I meant the song reference

Back
Top Bottom