• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Visual Novels |ST| Let’s-a-read!

i've been in a visual novel mood myself recently and have jumped back into Higurashi

I read the first 5 chapters back in 2017 but I stopped because MangaGamer was putting out one of them a year at the time and that was all that was out so I started over since it's been so long, i'm in the second chapter at the moment

I don't really remember how I felt about it before since it's been 7 years but definitely been digging the spooky vibes

playing NG right now! love my horror man.

something im realizing i really like about some visual novels is this sort of half adventure aspect where you can pick and choose where to go, active decisions to make during world exploration and the like.

there's a fair amount of VNs that feel on-rails, i felt that with Scarlet Hollow recently. but having every location be a place you can visit and investigate and move around at your own leisure really makes the whole experience feel more real and it helps the pacing for me too.

i know a lot of the big ones like Ace Attorney, Danganronpa and the like are similar, but do ya'll know any more lesser known VNs than those with more exploration and stuff?

Last edited:
playing NG right now! love my horror man.

something im realizing i really like about some visual novels is this sort of half adventure aspect where you can pick and choose where to go, active decisions to make during world exploration and the like.

there's a fair amount of VNs that feel on-rails, i felt that with Scarlet Hollow recently. but having every location be a place you can visit and investigate and move around at your own leisure really makes the whole experience feel more real and it helps the pacing for me too.

i know a lot of the big ones like Ace Attorney, Danganronpa and the like are similar, but do ya'll know any more lesser known VNs than those with more exploration and stuff?
NG is fantastic, I like the atmosphere of the first one more, but the locations here are great.

Some of the other "big" ones would be the AI Somnium file games, they have puzzle and choices, and Raincode that released last year on switch (later this year everywhere else) its somewhat linear, but you have sidequests and areas to explore.

Other game that come to mind, I haven not played it (its on my wishlist)

- YU-NO: there are puzzles and exploration. Its about time-traveling

I asked this on Reddit but the main VN subreddit automod doesn't let you post a thread without karma farming and the other VN sub is pretty quiet. So I'll ask here! What are some good VNs that avoid or subvert the cliches of the genre? I'd love unique gameplay (my favorite VNs are probably 438 Shibuya Scramble and the Ace Attorney games) but anything with unique storytelling that avoids the usual tropes of the form (first-person young male protagonist and harem cast, in particular) would be appreciated.

(for additional context and to avoid a wall of text here here's my reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/vns/comments/1d5vwm7/what_are_some_vns_that_avoid_the_cliches_of_the)

I asked this on Reddit but the main VN subreddit automod doesn't let you post a thread without karma farming and the other VN sub is pretty quiet. So I'll ask here! What are some good VNs that avoid or subvert the cliches of the genre? I'd love unique gameplay (my favorite VNs are probably 438 Shibuya Scramble and the Ace Attorney games) but anything with unique storytelling that avoids the usual tropes of the form (first-person young male protagonist and harem cast, in particular) would be appreciated.

(for additional context and to avoid a wall of text here here's my reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/vns/comments/1d5vwm7/what_are_some_vns_that_avoid_the_cliches_of_the)
Your taste in VN’s seems pretty similar to my own, so I’m wondering if you have tried The House in Fata Morgana? That’s one of my favourites, and it feels pretty unique to me when compared to other visual novels I’ve played. Particularly with its storytelling and overall atmosphere.

If you’re looking for something with a more diverse cast, then SeaBed is one starring two adult lesbian protagonists with barely any male characters in sight. There’s no real gameplay or choices in it, and the pacing is very slow, but I really enjoyed the story in this one. Heart of the Woods is another one.

Your taste in VN’s seems pretty similar to my own, so I’m wondering if you have tried The House in Fata Morgana? That’s one of my favourites, and it feels pretty unique to me when compared to other visual novels I’ve played. Particularly with its storytelling and overall atmosphere.

If you’re looking for something with a more diverse cast, then SeaBed is one starring two adult lesbian protagonists with barely any male characters in sight. There’s no real gameplay or choices in it, and the pacing is very slow, but I really enjoyed the story in this one. Heart of the Woods is another one.
I do own Fata Morgana but haven't started it yet. I'll bump it up the list.

SeaBed and Heart of the Woods are both new to me but look like good recommendations. Thanks!

as always i'll echo the Fata Morgana talk i'm seeing in here, it's fantastic and I can never say enough nice things about it

based on your reddit post I think you'd really enjoy Remember11

Back
Top Bottom