• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate chart of MIA franchise entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irene

#TheProcessPrevails
Pronouns
She/Her
NewF6.png

So I've kept this in my picture folder for a while. Just like that Wii U port chart, it's a chart about what's missing and not missing on the Switch in terms of franchises/IP's and new entries. So I'd like to show it here to talk a bit about what it represents. There's always discussions about franchises that should return, but in terms of going off with the Ultimate roster as a template and list, what and who do you want to see return, and in what fashion?

Before we kick off the discussion, I'd like to disclaim a few things: What accounts for MIA franchises that needs new games are are brand-new entries. (Street Fighter and Castlevania collections etc., doesn't count, same goes with Returns HD/Tropical Freeze) And as you may notice, some francises has all the characters from said francihise crossed off. For example, I've counted all Pokémon as one cross-off, since they're kind of all part of the same games/entries, same goes for Fire Emblem and Engage. (Though I'm sorry if I got some characters wrong)

So, with that out of the way, regarding missing franchise entries in the Switch era - what are some that you miss the most, and are the most overdue? And how could they return with the biggest slam-and-bang possible?

The Switch is on its last legs, but it would be so cool - but perhaps too ideal - if by the end of Switch 2, the entire roster has been crossed off.

Last edited:
Corrin was technically in Fire Emblem Engage as an Emblem, but that's up to you whether that counts!

Captain Falcon had F-Zero 99. Bowser Jr is your bud in both Bowser’s Fury and The Origami King. Megaman is in Megaman 11. Pichu should be out with Pokemon.

I’d personally count DK with the Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure, but it’s not terribly representative of DK. He’d be my number one request of the characters left. Feels like we’ve been waiting forever for rumored DK to surface.

I don’t think I’d need it the same way, and technically Melody of Memory should count for crossing off Sora, but I’m perhaps most baffled we didn’t get a non-numbered mainline Kingdom Hearts game for Switch.

F-Zero and Star Fox are the big ones for me. Those, and the third-party ones, assuming ports of the latest entries aren't possible. I'd be curious to see how a Metal Gear/Tekken/SF game built from the ground up for the Switch even looks.

As for how they should come back, I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel. F-Zero needs to be fast, pretty to look at and online multiplayer focused. Star Fox should just ditch the gimmicks and improve its aerial combat. If that means having more open levels and less rail shooting, so be it. It also needs to be somewhat meatier than the latest games in the series, but I don't have a strong preference in how to approach that.

I've counted all Pokémon as one cross-off, since they're kind of all part of the same games/entries, same goes for Fire Emblem and Engage. (Though I'm sorry if I got some characters wrong) I've also crossed over characters that has had "their one game" and are very unlikely to have a new game, like Joker and Shulk.

Pichu is feeling left out in the picture!!

I think the main one for many will be Star Fox, but personally I'm still holding out for Nintendo Switch Fit.
Switch Sports was great - and if you say A, you better say B.

Captain Falcon had F-Zero 99. Bowser Jr is your bud in both Bowser’s Fury and The Origami King. Megaman is in Megaman 11. Pichu should be out with Pokemon.

I’d personally count DK with the Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure, but it’s not terribly representative of DK. He’d be my number one request of the characters left. Feels like we’ve been waiting forever for rumored DK to surface.

I don’t think I’d need it the same way, and technically Melody of Memory should count for crossing off Sora, but I’m perhaps most baffled we didn’t get a non-numbered mainline Kingdom Hearts game for Switch.

Pichu is feeling left out in the picture!!

Aah shit. So much for proper research...

I do however think F-Zero 99 is basically online SNES F-Zero.

Should Sora be crossed out? Cloud ports were a little late, but KH3 did drop during the Switch era. :)

Oh, also Melody of Memory was day one on Switch!

F-Zero and Star Fox are the big ones for me. Those, and the third-party ones, assuming ports of the latest entries aren't possible. I'd be curious to see how a Metal Gear/Tekken/SF game built from the ground up for the Switch even looks.

As for how they should come back, I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel. F-Zero needs to be fast, pretty to look at and online multiplayer focused. Star Fox should just ditch the gimmicks and improve its aerial combat. If that means having more open levels and less rail shooting, so be it. It also needs to be somewhat meatier than the latest games in the series, but I don't have a strong preference in how to approach that.
F-Zero was the 99 game, and i feel outside of a very vocal minority it's the most they can do to make F-Zero fun to most consumers in the modern landscape. I know this hurt for hell of a lot of nostolgic fans, i personally got lucky and never played it until i was older and was my wii, so i'm not blinded by any rose glasses

Nintendo revolutionized Racing games with Mario Kart's item system, as much as Captain Falcon a dope character, I can never see Nintendo bringing back F-Zero as it was. F-Zero 99 was possibly the best way to make Fast and Multiplayer Focus, and i think a new entry to look pretty would be a waste of Nintendo resources. Game like GX just too damn repetitive and not replayable in my opinion, especially standed next to Mario Kart in Nintendo library, and F-Zero 99 for that matter

But that's just me of course love to everybody who waiting on return of this man i hope you get the game 🙏 i just hope they don't take away my new Earthbound or StarFox in trade 😂

Last edited:
NewF5.png

So I've kept this in my picture folder for a while. Just like that Wii U port chart, it's a chart about what's missing and not missing on the Switch in terms of franchises/IP's and new entries. So I'd like to show it here to talk a bit about what it represents. There's always discussions about franchises that should return, but in terms of going off with the Ultimate roster as a template and list, what and who do you want to see return, and in what fashion?

Before we kick off the discussion, I'd like to disclaim a few things: What accounts for MIA franchises that needs new games are are brand-new entries. (Street Fighter and Castlevania collections etc., doesn't count, same goes with Returns HD/Tropical Freeze) And as you may notice, some francises has all the characters from said francihise crossed off. For example, I've counted all Pokémon as one cross-off, since they're kind of all part of the same games/entries, same goes for Fire Emblem and Engage. (Though I'm sorry if I got some characters wrong) I've also crossed over characters that has had "their one game" and are very unlikely to have a new game, like Joker and Shulk.

So, with that out of the way, regarding missing franchise entries in the Switch era - what are some that you miss the most, and are the most overdue? And how could they return with the biggest slam-and-bang possible?

The Switch is on its last legs, but it would be so cool - but perhaps too ideal - if by the end of Switch 2, the entire roster has been crossed off.
Kingdom Hearts has the new entry "Melody of Memories" on Switch

Would you say Ultra Street Fighter II counts for Ryu and Ken? It's technically a new game with new modes...

I assume Sephiroth and Cloud are crossed because of Crisis Core Reunion so I think USFII should count.

I most want to see DK return, Kazuya and Terry have great new games on PS and Castlevania doesn't need Richter or Simon for a new entry. Kid Icarus is a close second or tied with DK

I feel like if you actually cross off characters whose series got a new entry that they themselves didn't appear in (Ridley, Rosalina, etc) as well as characters who got spiritual successors (Wii Fit Trainer) the biggest obvious gaps that are still left here, to me, are Star Fox and Donkey Kong (and maybe Kid Icarus, though I think the chances of a new game are pretty slim there though I would love an HD port). Honestly shows how good things have been on Switch for the most part. Also F-Zero 99 totally should count, imo

I'm gonna request the thread closed. Making a thread about something based on my personal interpretations is bound to make those interpretations get challenged - rightfully so, mind you - and the main topic to get sidetracked. This was a bad idea, and I apologize for it.

(Rest assured that this is not because someone said something out of line or so)

Is Dr. Mario World too much of a stretch? It was published during the Switch years.

Edit: welp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom