• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The next Zelda Game should have a aesthetic similar to World War One.

hi OP,

don't you fucking dare

thanks,
Suswave

1715727506660.png

This with the Zelda music happily playing in the background.

I clicked this thread assuming there must be some other World War One aesthetic that this could be referring.

yeah this is a good idea, it'd fit in the hero falls split of the timeline pretty well imo

Huh I don't understand?
I hate it and I don't want it

carry on by all means but I want it on the record that I hate it and don't want it

the thing I am specifically saying "don't you fucking dare" to is the notion that, through the sheer power of suggestion, you have willed this possible future into the world

hope that helps

I hate it and I don't want it

carry on by all means but I want it on the record that I hate it and don't want it

the thing I am specifically saying "don't you fucking dare" to is the notion that, through the sheer power of suggestion, you have willed this possible future into the world

hope that helps
Oh ok lol

I keep imagining Link holding the Master Sword as a rifle and shooting bullets out of it, like, actual bullets not bolts of energy, and I start to see OP's vision.

The whole β€˜trench warfare’ side of WW1 as immortalised by English language trench poetry, memoirs and media etc, was only one particular front of what was, by definition, a world war. The eastern front was way more mobile and also much less explored in pop culture.

I get the idea of wanting a more relatively modern looking Zelda game that's still a bit war-torn, but also uh
A specific war? No. I can't see them doing Great Depression era Zelda. Especially when Nintendo tugged their collar awkwardly for over a year about Advance Wars for being too modern of a depiction of war and having WW2 elements.

What do you guys think? Maybe since I'm a huge follower of that time period. But I think it could work. Maybe the story could revolve on countries trying to obtain the triforce. Gannon could be to Kaiser Wilhem the 2nd. A madman trying to expand his influence around the continent. The player could play as Link a solider in the Kingdom of Hyrule. There could be trench warfare, airplanes, and etc.
I dig it. I think Zelda needs to move beyond the Hyrule setting. The most interesting Zeldas have been other ones to do away with the setting (Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, etc).

A Zelda game in real-world setting would be really interesting. I probably wouldn't reference WW1, but a similar pseudo-historical World War set on earth, with countries chasing the Triforce, would be a super interesting.

I don't know about you guys, but the 2000s fanfics about Steampunk Zelda still sounds like a baller idea to me.

Valley-of-the-Flood.jpg

1900s-1920s/Victorian England is the closest thing the world has ever gotten to steampunk. ;)

That would both be awful and not a Zelda game. Legend of Zelda games are all large adventures in a medieval stasis/magitech world. Their aesthetic inspiration is Lord of the Rings.

Go ruin some other IP. Also, why would you want to take a high fantasy/magitech setting and change it into one of the most horrible and gory chapters in human history? Over the top charges and slaughtering thousands of poor soldiers in minutes does not sound like something that I’d like to play as entertainment. I can barely stomach it as history.

It’s a good thing that video game forum posters are not in charge of multimillion seller IP’s. They’d clearly destroy their selling power by filling it with content that nobody wants to see except them self.

In terms of technology and aesthetic that are contemporary to the games' setting, "steampunk" is as far as they have gotten and probably as far as they'll ever go. The tech is fairly intricate - hookshot, bombs, bombchus, camera, trains, steamboats, cannons - but it's never presented as sleek and modern, but always a little clunky, industrial, antiquated, and fantastical. Even the color photgraphic camera - the Pictobox - is this little wooden contraption.

The most advanced tech in the series - that of the Shiekah and Zonai - are always portrayed as lost, ancient, and forgotten. The tech itself is based on ancient artifacts like pottery and statues, and the presentation of 'downloading' and 'scanning' is that of magical drops and floating runes.

So I don't think a more steampunk 'world' is out of the question in Zelda, because it's still in the realm of fantasy and 'alternate reality'. A techno magic Zelda, too, since that is still an imaginative world, but not everyone would have access to the technology in order to make the Hero have a unique toolset. While a specifically "WWI aesthetic" is very, very close to the real world, and loses the fantasy vibe.

The specific idea of having nations fight over the Triforce and there being political strife has always been in the backstory of Zelda games but abstracted as a 'struggle' and usually focused inside Hyrule instead of being an international conflict. I like the idea of bringing more nations into a Zelda game, like having Holodrum and Labrynna be neighboring kingdoms.

Nah, we need to go full on sci fi. Remember when The Link to the Past was going to feature a future that was sci-fi? We need to go back to that.

I think World War 1 theming has similarities to the adult part of Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess had some of the same atmosphere too. And with Zelda's recent aesthetic taking notes from Hayao Miyazaki's works, I could see space for the Zelda team to explore military themes in future titles.

Just off the top of my head - A once peaceful world is now wartorn, people go into hiding, there's less colour, it's more grim. Death is a prominent theme. The same happens in wartime. In Twilight Princess your friend is injured from an invasion, you have to travel to Kakariko whilst being harried by enemies. Those memories of the games are what caused me to say what I did. Also I wanted to constructively add to the OP's thread and stimulate discussion.
Did I answer your question?

Just off the top of my head - A once peaceful world is now wartorn, people go into hiding, there's less colour, it's more grim. Death is a prominent theme. The same happens in wartime. In Twilight Princess your friend is injured from an invasion, you have to travel to Kakariko whilst being harried by enemies. Those memories of the games are what caused me to say what I did. Also I wanted to constructively add to the OP's thread and stimulate discussion.
Did I answer your question?
Not really, because I'm still not sure where you're seeing the evocation of World War I specifically.

Back
Top Bottom