• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Sumo Group (Sumo Digital/Secret Mode) is restructuring and laying off 15% of staff across the group in Canada, UK, Poland, Czech Republic and India

sagadego20

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/Him

Following an internal announcement to our people please see a business update from Sumo Group below.

Every day the incredibly talented people across Sumo studios are dedicated to creating great games and bringing ground-breaking experiences to players worldwide. That work and dedication over the past 21 years has helped to put Sumo on the map and build a family of studios that are second to none, and we are incredibly proud of what Sumo has become.

Whilst Sumo has been able to manage through many of the recent difficulties the games industry has faced, we have not been immune and reshaping operations across the business to better navigate the upcoming challenges expected in the coming months is a path we must now take to ensure the security of the business going forward.

The difficult decision to reduce our costs across the business in a number of ways is a direct result of these challenges, and unfortunately will include a reduction in the number of people the business can support. Every alternate route to limit the impact to our people is being considered but sadly this process of transformation will affect up to 15% of our people across the Group in Canada, UK, Poland, Czech Republic and India.

... Sorry, what did they do? I haven't seen that many games of them over the years, I just remember some port involvement (sonic racing transformed?) and snake pass.

Always bad, but... Not unexpected. Gaming is not the only industry currently downsizing. :/

Checked, yeah, a couple of big ports and some developments (like the last sackboy game) ... No wonder that they had 1000 people over 7 divisions

But also, looking at their output ... Not to my taste.

... Sorry, what did they do? I haven't seen that many games of them over the years, I just remember some port involvement (sonic racing transformed?) and snake pass.

Always bad, but... Not unexpected. Gaming is not the only industry currently downsizing. :/

Checked, yeah, a couple of big ports and some developments (like the last sackboy game) ... No wonder that they had 1000 people over 7 divisions

But also, looking at their output ... Not to my taste.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumo_Digital

They developed the Sonic racing games, not just ported. They also made Sackboy and co-developed several pretty big games.

Sumo Digital announced today that it’s laying off 15% of its staff — around 160 people. I’m hearing that includes the total closure of Timbre Games in Canada, which was working on two unannounced games.

Back
Top Bottom