• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony is officially re-releasing PS2 games again, starting with Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Tomb Raider Legend, and Sly Cooper.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

Experience STAR WARS The Clone Wars originally released on the PlayStation®2 console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

This title has been converted from the PlayStation®2 version to the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 consoles and provides newly added features. Consequently, there may be times where the title plays differently from the PlayStation®2 version, or where some features may cause the title to not function properly. This version does not support the PlayStation®2 console’s peripherals, therefore some functionality may not be available.
Clone Wars was not released on the Playstation Portable, so it's highly unlikely to be an error (they previously mislisted the PS2 version of Thrillville: Off The Rails as getting added one month, rather than the PSP version.)
the description also mentions several features that didn't exist in the previous PS4 emulator, alongside the important fact there's finally a native PS5 version.
the last game released using the original emulator was Ace Combat 5 in 2019, which was only available as a pre-order bonus for Ace Combat 7.

there have been rumours for a while that the PS4's PS2 emulator was going to be completely redone, likely by Implicit Conversions, the studio currently handling PS1 and PSP games for Premium (and has multiple staffers that worked on the unofficial PS2 emulator PCSX2, one of which was actually involved with said official PS4 emulator.)
notably the release date is listed as June 11th. a week ahead of when Sony normally updates the Extra and Premium catalogs, maybe this is meant to be a big reveal at a Playstation Showcase?

My first PlayStation console was a PS4. If Sony actually invested significantly in their PS2 emulation and started re-releasing many older titles (especially those that were exclusive), that'd be the most personally exciting move PlayStation had made in quite some time.

Of course we get a new PS2 emulator the month I’m ready to downgrade my subscription to Extra because Premium has not been worth it. lol

Hopefully we can buy these individually like the other classics.

officially confirmed for June 11th. New
c40e67fe6c45a2961712df29c37fa9693c7a08f3.jpg

yes, not a State of Play reveal surprisingly. though the muted selection of games is likely a factor.

Legend and Sly Cooper had native PS3 ports previously, though i've heard the latter was fairly glitchy (particularly with the music) compared to the PS2 original.

For anyone who hasn't played it, Sly is a better Crash 4 than Crash 4 (which I liked!). It's a terrific game with remarkable confidence for a franchise debut. Sly 2 is a better game but this is no slouch and should not be missed by anyone who loves platformers.

Hopeful these three are like their other classics and available for purchase without a sub. Can’t wait to platinum Sly Cooper for the third time 🫣

man....its a shame that I just canceled my subscription. I would love to replay the clone wars game. Might just sub for a month to play it.
I think think when those games are released you can just buy it for 5-10$.

For example you can buy twisted metal and Killzone liberation for 10$ without needing to buy a subscription.

Two years after announcing SNES, I mean PS2 games on NSao, I mean PS+ Premium, Nintendo, I mean Sony finally drops games for those systems on their service.

Nintendo's slow rollout of classic games and the inclusion of new generations into the service is such a negative tend.

For anyone who hasn't played it, Sly is a better Crash 4 than Crash 4 (which I liked!). It's a terrific game with remarkable confidence for a franchise debut. Sly 2 is a better game but this is no slouch and should not be missed by anyone who loves platformers.
I've never played Sly Cooper but if they release this standalone I might pick it up. This whola era of PS2 platformers kinda passed me by but I am interested in it.

I've never played Sly Cooper but if they release this standalone I might pick it up. This whola era of PS2 platformers kinda passed me by but I am interested in it.
Definitely do! The first Sly is like a beautified PS1 game; the second really goes places. The Jak games are interesting, too, though mileage may vary on how worthwhile it is to revisit.

Back
Top Bottom